PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker for Rajon Rondo: Would you do it?

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Don't know if theoretical trade threads are frowned upon or not, but I was watching the Celtics game tonight and listening to them talk about how good Rondo is.

And I agree, so would you trade or approve of a trade of Tony Parker for Rajon Rondo, straight up?

My thoughts:

Rondo's younger and cheaper and likely to get better.

But Parker is a championship-winning stud who's playing the best ball of his career right now.

I would be in favor of it, though I think its an incredibly close argument.

In posing the question, I'm considering it not just as a "who's better?" argument but who you would rather have as a franchise, including age, salary, prospects for improvement, etc.

What do you think?

xtremesteven33
03-18-2009, 11:33 PM
:shootme

timvp
I wouldn't trade Parker for three Rondos.

gaKNOW!blee
This might be the worst thread ever.

lefty
03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
For Rondo? No

For Ronda? Yes

exstatic
03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
FUCK no. Rondo is like Parker used to be: no shot, and out of control. He's a decent fourth option for Boston.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:35 PM

Really? He's gotten so much better and he's still really young.

He's developed a jump shot and that will only get better, plus he's a very good defender and is the PG of a championship winning, veteran laden team.

Maybe I love him too much and maybe my Spurs fan membership card should get pulled for it, but for some reason I like this.

In the context of our immediate needs, I guess we need Parker's scoring more....ok I'm starting to hate my own argument....

MaNu4Tres
Not only no but hell no. We might have our own Rondo in the near future backing up Tony.

Spursfan092120
:smchode:

Juanobili
03-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Rondo for TP? Hah

More like G-Hill for Rondo?

exstatic
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
There is only one relevant fact: Rondo could never carry the team like Parker is now, and we need that with Manu and Tim getting older. He's more or less a blue collar lunch bucket guy. Tony's a fucking Ferrari. You pay for that, and there aren't many available.

anonoftheinternets
03-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Is there some way, we can thumb up threads, or thumb down threads, and give the posters with the best threads and posts, some kinda reward like an extra spur or something after tallying posts every month? that would be kind of interesting. :p:

Leetonidas
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
FUCK NO! You're fucking crazy dude. Rondo will NEVER be even CLOSE to as good as Tony is now.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Is there some way, we can thumb up threads, or thumb down threads, and give the posters with the best threads and posts, some kinda reward like an extra spur or something after tallying posts every month? that would be kind of interesting. :p:

ok i'm willing to admit i'm coming out of left field here.....but think about it as part of a plan for the future....not that we'd make the trade today, but during this offseason....

Leetonidas
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Plus we already have George Hill.

Spursmania
Hell No!:nope But you were brave for asking:lol

timvp
Trade out Rondo for Parker the last month and the Spurs would be scoring about 75 points per game. Rondo is a good player but he's overhyped due to being on a very good team. He's a better defender than Parker ... but that's about it. And his type of gambling, pressure defense doesn't really jive with Pop's bend-but-don't-break defensive philosophy.

Give Hill a couple of years and he may very well be a nice Rondo clone.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Trade out Rondo for Parker the last month and the Spurs would be scoring about 75 points per game. Rondo is a good player but he's overhyped due to being on a very good team. He's a better defender than Parker ... but that's about it. And his type of gambling, pressure defense doesn't really jive with Pop's bend-but-don't-break defensive philosophy.

you think Hill can develop those pure point ball distribution type skills rondo has?

EricB
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
In fact I'd say George hill is a better scorer than rondo when given the same touches and court time....

timvp
03-18-2009, 11:45 PM
BTW, I give credit to VI_Massive for at least having a solid opening post. Don't think many will agree but it was much better than the crazy thread title followed by a link to the ESPN trade machine that is flame-worthy.

By comparison, this is a good thread.

timtonymanu
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Rondo's overrated. I wouldnt even trade Hill.

Rondo is only doing so well because he has 3 superstars on his team. I dont get why ESPN gets on his nuts so much.

Force Rondo to become a jumpshooter and he's useless.

anonoftheinternets
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
ok i'm willing to admit i'm coming out of left field here.....but think about it as part of a plan for the future....not that we'd make the trade today, but during this offseason....

Well its ok I wasnt making it personal, you are free to make threads here, thats the best part. I was just thinking about that rating system and thought it might be interesting :toast

crc21209
03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
HELL NO. That is all....

SenorSpur
03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Wtp?

baseline bum
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
what the fuck?!?!?!

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Rondo's overrated. I wouldnt even trade Hill.

Rondo is only doing so well because he has 3 superstars on his team. I dont get why ESPN gets on his nuts so much.

Force Rondo to become a jumpshooter and he's useless.

I agree my idea might be totally nuts, and Rondo plays on a great team, but that's part of why I think he could be special on a team like SA. Though as I've said right now we need the scoring more than his ball distribution skills.

But he is a big part of Boston doing well -- look at them without him on the floor. They really struggle to score. I don't think he's overrated.

Plus, you can't take him out of the game by making him shoot jumpers any more. It was that way last season, but he's shooting 50% this year and that's nothing to spit at for a guard.

Chieflion
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Gimme Rondo and Pierce too. Seriously, that is bullshit.

exstatic
03-18-2009, 11:53 PM
you think Hill can develop those pure point ball distribution type skills rondo has?

I think he could. He's humble and coachable. That's usually the issue when you try to convert a small SG. They're stone gunners for the most part.

Now for the kicker: I don't think he has to. The Spurs haven't had a pure-play PG since AJ left in 2001. They need:

a) someone to bring the ball up - check
b) someone to break down the defense and get to the rack - check.

VI_Massive
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
I think he could. He's humble and coachable. That's usually the issue when you try to convert a small SG. They're stone gunners for the most part.

Now for the kicker: I don't think he has to. The Spurs haven't had a pure-play PG since AJ left in 2001. They need:

a) someone to bring the ball up - check
b) someone to break down the defense and get to the rack - check.

word. good point.

i think pop's system works best with combo guards who can score and are functional ball handlers

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Let's trade Tim Duncan for Travis Outlaw too!

Pentagruel
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Ugh heh. Sorry but that is an awful trade.

Rondo is a solid point guard but Tony Parker is vastly superior in nearly every aspect of the game. If TP was on a team without Duncan or Manu (where he'd be the main man) he'd be a superstar. Rondo isn't on that level. He's by no means bad and I don't agree with some of the people that depreciate his value just by saying he plays on a great team (hell, thats what a lot of people used to say about TP also), but he just doesn't have anything close to the offensive game the Parker has.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Manu Ginobili for Von Wafer.

Mavs<Spurs
03-19-2009, 12:05 AM

Very close to one of the worst threads I have ever read.

Wow.

Hell no !!!

Rondo will never be as good as Tony Parker.

This begins to compete with the oldies but goodies like some of whott's -- (e.g. where he and another poster name call each other and it leads to suicide discussions).

:nope

SequSpur
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
got damn, I am going to have to quit coming here.... shit.. man..

Mavs<Spurs
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Let's trade Tim Duncan for Travis Outlaw too!

+ 1

Analogous to the incomprehensible trade of Tony Parker for Rajon Rondo.

:wakeup

DynastyBuilder
03-19-2009, 12:11 AM
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/inthane/gtfo.jpeg

DAF86
03-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Rondo doesn't have the talent to be something more than a role player.

lefty
03-19-2009, 12:19 AM
And let's trade Gooden for Kendrick Perkins

Yeah great ideas you got there

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
And let's trade Gooden for Kendrick Perkins

Yeah great ideas you got there

ok i admit i'm wrong with the parker-rondo thing but we would take perkins in a heartbeat!

celldweller
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
This is stupid! Go back to Boston!

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
This is stupid! Go back to Boston!

i'm no celtics lover by any means....but rondo and perkins are some nice young players.

lefty
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
ok i admit i'm wrong with the parker-rondo thing but we would take perkins in a heartbeat!

Gooden is more versatile than Perkins

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Perkins and his stare owns Gooden's defense.

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:29 AM

if we were inheriting perkins' contract situation vs. gooden's then its a no-brainer for perkins.

but i think even in a neutral contract situation you take perkins. he's so much younger and very good defensively and even a little bit bigger. his rebounding is pretty much the same as gooden's though you have to think it'll get better as he matures more. the same with his offense. he has some decent post moves that will get better as be develops.

again, i'll admit i'm wrong about the rondo-parker thing but gooden for perkins is a no-brainer to take perkins, right? young big 7 footers who can defend and score a little bit don't fall out of the sky....

lefty
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
if we were inheriting perkins' contract situation vs. gooden's then its a no-brainer for perkins.

but i think even in a neutral contract situation you take perkins. he's so much younger and very good defensively and even a little bit bigger. his rebounding is pretty much the same as gooden's though you have to think it'll get better as he matures more. the same with his offense. he has some decent post moves that will get better as be develops.

again, i'll admit i'm wrong about the rondo-parker thing but gooden for perkins is a no-brainer to take perkins, right? young big 7 footers who can defend and score a little bit don't fall out of the sky....

Interesting points.

Then let's change the title of this thread

Gooden for Perkins !!!!

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:31 AM
There is a reason why Perkins and Rondo were not traded for Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi this is michelvhn
Is this the first Knick fan Spurstalk ever had?

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Interesting points.

Then let's change the title of this thread

Gooden for Perkins !!!!

i wish we could get that.....and that i hadn't posted a thread without thinking it through very well....

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Wow..you've got to be kidding me. Do you watch basketball? Let's see...one guy who's a rebounder, who is a good offensive threat, and can create his own shots on the block, or the other guy, who's a thug and likes to hurt people..wow..this is a tough one. Please tell me you're not serious.

lefty
03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
There is a reason why Perkins and Rondo were not traded for Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett.

Because nobody wanted Rondo and Perkins

Joe Schmoogins
03-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I vote yes on the Gooden for Perkins idea. Gooden is the better basketball player... but I think Perkins would be a better addition to this team due to his size, defense, and shot blocking ability. He seems like a better role player... I hope I'm wrong.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Because nobody wanted Rondo and Perkins
You know that is wrong.

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I vote yes on the Gooden for Perkins idea. Gooden is the better basketball player... but I think Perkins would be a better addition to this team due to his size, defense, and shot blocking ability. He seems like a better role player... I hope I'm wrong.
Don't worry..you are. :)

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow..you've got to be kidding me. Do you watch basketball? Let's see...one guy who's a rebounder, who is a good offensive threat, and can create his own shots on the block, or the other guy, who's a thug and likes to hurt people..wow..this is a tough one. Please tell me you're not serious.

their rebounding is about the same.

gooden is a more polished offensive player, without a doubt.

perkins is a better defender, without a doubt.

but perkins is only 24 -- he's still 3-4 seasons from his peak. gooden's there right now. he's not getting any better. this is his ceiling.

and as for perkins' demeanor, is there anything wrong with having an rugged, physically intimidating enforcer inside?

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 12:47 AM
their rebounding is about the same.

gooden is a more polished offensive player, without a doubt.

perkins is a better defender, without a doubt.

but perkins is only 24 -- he's still 3-4 seasons from his peak. gooden's there right now. he's not getting any better. this is his ceiling.

and as for perkins' demeanor, is there anything wrong with having an rugged, physically intimidating enforcer inside?
Nothing wrong with it at all. But I have to think that with the Spurs system, Gooden is definitely a better fit. With the way the Spurs like to pick and roll and set up the big for a jump shot, Gooden is a much better fit. No offense to Perkins, but Gooden is just a better fit.

Duncanoypi
03-19-2009, 12:48 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/1/alpretty9lw.jpg (http://www.funnyforumpics.com)

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Nothing wrong with it at all. But I have to think that with the Spurs system, Gooden is definitely a better fit. With the way the Spurs like to pick and roll and set up the big for a jump shot, Gooden is a much better fit. No offense to Perkins, but Gooden is just a better fit.

i see your point, but we were ready to trade for camby and though i think his defense is clearly better than perkins', he is a guy without a great jumper whose offense basically comes on tip ins and the occasional drive.

Joe Schmoogins
03-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Don't worry..you are. :)

well as of now...

Perkin's contributions to Celtics > Gooden's contribution to Spurs

until that changes... I'm right. :)

Pentagruel
03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
I would in fact trade Gooden for Perkins considering contracts were neutral. I definitely think the defense Perkins brings to the table is better for the Spurs then the offensive talents of Gooden. Perkins is a real presence on the court even if he is a thug (probably because he is a thug) and its players like him that glue the big three together on that celtics squad (Rondo too for that matter, though of course id never trade a true talent like TP for him).

Don Quixote
03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Parker for Rondo ... no way.

The only PG I'd consider trading Parker for would be Chris Paul, or maybe Deron Williams. Or any of the Laker points.

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 12:54 AM

The only PG I'd consider trading Parker for would be Chris Paul, or maybe Deron Williams. Or any of the Laker points.
You nuts?

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 01:00 AM

by comparison, my poorly thought out idea looks good

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 01:01 AM
i see your point, but we were ready to trade for camby and though i think his defense is clearly better than perkins', he is a guy without a great jumper whose offense basically comes on tip ins and the occasional drive.
Alright...make a deal with you..dump Oberto for Camby or Perkins.

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 01:03 AM

THIS is the guy. I thought for sure you were joking..are you kidding me? You're gonna trade Parker for the aged Fisher or the retarded Jordan Farmar?

Yuixafun
03-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Rondo is quality, you don't have to diminish his skills.

As of now I'd keep Parker all day, he's an elite PG... his offensive game is much more skillful and crafty and his vision is a bit underrated. Where Tony gets into trouble is deciding when it's time for him to eat, since he can practically get to the basket at will.. although that jump shot just ain't wet enough for my liking.

TP has gone through his growing pains as a player and a person. Rondo is significantly better than last year and has more swagger, but he's still developing, maturing.. With Tony we have a near finished product using his own intellect and making use of his abilities with deliberate adult conciousness. He understands the game and can will something to happen.

Although TP did have moments where he faltered, ultimately he persevered..

We are witnessing the fruit of his hard work+god given talent guided by good coaches and playing with the likes of Tim Duncan, etc. I would rather have a PG who adopted TD's demeanor than the Bravado of Garnett, speaking just for me.

Tony is tough.. and he doesn't point at himself to make sure we know. In his younger days you could knock him around and it would shake him. Not anymore. Some of the things he does gets taken for granted.

Rondo has a long way to grow but he's on the right path. He has the tools, quickness, length, rebounding, defense.. to be very good, we'll just have to wait and see.

DMX7
03-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I'd never do it.

siraulo23
03-19-2009, 02:43 AM
WHat the hell is goin on???

roycrikside
03-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Obviously Tony is the much better player and I wouldn't trade him, but personally I don't think the difference between the two is as lopsided as a lot of people think. Rondo is superior to Parker defensively and in rebounding, and as a playmaker he's at least Tony's equal if not better. The only thing Tony does better than the guy is score (but by a considerable margin).

I happen to think Rondo is Boston's one real indispensable player and their MVP, so I don't think it's the craziest idea ever. I would phrase it more like "The Spurs are one of the five or six teams in the league that wouldn't trade their PG for Rondo if they could."

aka_USAPA
03-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Want Rondo? Go cheer for the Celtics.

200 miles
03-19-2009, 04:00 AM

Kamnik
03-19-2009, 04:24 AM
I sence drug presence.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Boston has so much faith in Rondo, going out and signing Sam Cassell and Stephon Marbury in back to back seasons.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 04:44 AM
I happen to think Rondo is Boston's one real indispensable player and their MVP, so I don't think it's the craziest idea ever. I would phrase it more like "The Spurs are one of the five or six teams in the league that wouldn't trade their PG for Rondo if they could."

Teams that would absolutely never trade their PG for Rondo:

1) New Orleans
2) Utah
3) San Antonio
4) Denver
5) Orlando
6) New Jersey
7) Cleveland
8) Chicago
9) Oklahoma City
10) Golden State

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Teams that would absolutely never trade their PG for Rondo:

1) New Orleans
2) Utah
3) San Antonio
4) Denver
5) Orlando
6) New Jersey
7) Cleveland
8) Chicago
9) Oklahoma City
10) Golden State

GSW: If you consider Monta Ellis a PG, maybe they won't, but reportedly, Ellis wants out.

Nuggets: Maybe next year, but Celtics would absolutely not do it. Rondo's value is higher than Billups.

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 06:43 AM
NO!! NO!! NO!! why get rid of one of the best nba players? Rondo is zero, compared to tony!

Muser
03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Throw in KG and you got yourself a deal.

:nutkick:

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Why TP, im curious to know? i would rather trade Tim duncan for some forward. But well, hes going to quit soon anyway

easy7
03-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Vaughn for Kobe or Lebron makes more sense...

florige
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Chieflion
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Vaughn for Kobe or Lebron makes more sense...
Hitler, is that you? Why is FuhrerDynasty posting? I thought he was IP banned.

ambchang
03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
This is like saying should we trade Beasley for Duncan, and is exactly the type of logic that helped created the rookie salary cap.

Only in the world of sports (and maybe the dotcom world back in early 2000) is a sure thing < potential. Rondo has pretty much reached his potential by playing in a system that is perfect for him. The Celtics play a brand of quick, pressuring defense that works to his strengths, and his offensive responsibilities are minimized due to the pressure given to the Big 3.

Rajon can't finish like Parker, he can't pass like Parker, and he can't even shoot like Parker. Why would you trade for a player with a maximum upside that is less than a current Parker with no guarantee that said player could ever reach it?

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Rajon can't finish like Parker, he can't pass like Parker, and he can't even shoot like Parker. Why would you trade for a player with a maximum upside that is less than a current Parker with no guarantee that said player could ever reach it?

Rondo can barely shoot like Oberto, much less Parker. The way Spurs fans disrespect Tony is such an injustice, especially with the way he's carried this team through all its nasty injuries this season. I cannot ever remember another Spurs player being so disgustingly underrated and under-appreciated by people who are supposed to be his fans. Tony Parker is an elite point guard in his prime who keeps adding new things to his game. Deal with it everyone.

kace
03-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Rondo can barely shoot like Oberto, much less Parker. The way Spurs fans disrespect Tony is such an injustice, especially with the way he's carried this team through all its nasty injuries this season. I cannot ever remember another Spurs player being so disgustingly underrated and under-appreciated by people who are supposed to be his fans. Tony Parker is an elite point guard in his prime who keeps adding new things to his game. Deal with it everyone.

i couldn't agree more with you about Parker being disgustingly underrated here.

but honestly, i think all the posters have made it very clear what they thought about Tony for Rondo. i don't even understand where the OP wants to go.

and when rondo's contract will be revaluated (in one or two year i think), this trade would look even more ridiculous.

ambchang
03-19-2009, 08:36 AM
A lot of the reasons Parker were underrated was, believe it or, because of his earlier perceived potential.

When he first came into the league, Parker couldn't shoot, he couldn't pass very well, he couldn't run the offense very well. The fact that he was the major scrapegoat in 2004 doesn't help, and the perception that Claxton has to save his butt in 03 Finals, and Kerr saving his butt in 03 vs. Mavs makes it even worse.

People refused to admit that times have changed. Parker is now a very good shooter (not great, but good enough to hurt other teams and open up his drives); he runs the offense very well; his defense, though not top-notch, is at least above average; and he can still drive and finish with the best of them.

Parker is without a doubt a top 5 point guard in the game today, possibly top 3. He can carry a team for stretches, and is actually the closest thing to Isiah Thomas.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't know if theoretical trade threads are frowned upon or not, but I was watching the Celtics game tonight and listening to them talk about how good Rondo is.

And I agree, so would you trade or approve of a trade of Tony Parker for Rajon Rondo, straight up?

My thoughts:

But Parker is a championship-winning stud who's playing the best ball of his career right now.

In posing the question, I'm considering it not just as a "who's better?" argument but who you would rather have as a franchise, including age, salary, prospects for improvement, etc.

What do you think?

As much as Parker drives me insane this is a really silly question.

Brazil
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Why would you trade the second or third best PG a top 20 in the league for an overated player like Rondo ?

Mal
03-19-2009, 08:58 AM
No, I wouldn`t

sonic21
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM

:tu

Gant
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Both the Ray Allen and Garnett trades were held up because those teams wanted Rondo and Ainge refused to give him up even if it meant sinking the deals.

Parker vs. Rondo this year:

All stats are Per 36 minutes:

FT% Parker .802, Rondo .643

FG% Rondo .506, Parker .491
eFG% Rondo .517, Parker .499
3pt% Rondo .325, Parker .315 (neither shoot many)
Rebs Rondo 5.7, Parker 3.1
Asts Rondo 9.1, Parker 7.2
Steals Rondo 2.0, Parker 0.9
Defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) Rondo 101, Parker 107

Summary: Parker scores a lot more because he shoots a lot more. Rondo shoots a higher percentage and is a much better defender, rebounder and passer.

45 bank shot
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
why r there always too many ignorant bastas ?

Bumblebee Man
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
No me gusta!

mathbzh
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes of course

Parker for Rondo
Ginobili for Ronny Brewer
Duncan for Bargnani

... and we can start a dynasty with younger players :rolleyes

mathbzh
03-19-2009, 09:55 AM
A lot of the reasons Parker were underrated was, believe it or, because of his earlier perceived potential.

When he first came into the league, Parker couldn't shoot, he couldn't pass very well, he couldn't run the offense very well. The fact that he was the major scrapegoat in 2004 doesn't help, and the perception that Claxton has to save his butt in 03 Finals, and Kerr saving his butt in 03 vs. Mavs makes it even worse.

People refused to admit that times have changed. Parker is now a very good shooter (not great, but good enough to hurt other teams and open up his drives); he runs the offense very well; his defense, though not top-notch, is at least above average; and he can still drive and finish with the best of them.

Parker is without a doubt a top 5 point guard in the game today, possibly top 3. He can carry a team for stretches, and is actually the closest thing to Isiah Thomas.

+1
People tend to forget that Parker was younger in 2004 than Hill is now.

K-State Spur
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Summary: Parker scores a lot more because he shoots a lot more. Rondo shoots a higher percentage and is a much better defender, rebounder and passer.

That's like saying that Garnett only scores more than Oberto because he gets more shots (Fab is shooting 80 points higher from the floor).

Fab & Rondo take very few contested shots, and have very limited range - so they SHOULD shoot higher percentages than most of their counterparts. With his shot selection, if Rondo was shooting 45% from the floor - that would be god awful.

There's not a GM, coach, scout, or analyst on the entire planet that thinks Rondo is in the same stratosphere offensively as Parker.

Bartleby
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Both the Ray Allen and Garnett trades were held up because those teams wanted Rondo and Ainge refused to give him up even if it meant sinking the deals.

Rondo is the fourth scoring option. Parker is the first or second on most nights and opposing defenses are usually focused on keeping Tony out of the paint, probably much more than Rondo.

Brazil
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Sometimes these kind of comparaisons are lame.
Regarding the scoring, Rondo has no responsability for the scoring it's easier when you have the luxury of selecting your shoots and not having the scoring responsability on your back (I'm sure KT has a better FG% than TP and Rondo, so KT>TP and Rondo??). I would like to see what would be the FG% of Rondo if he should take 20 shoot per game and lead the box score for his team.

Much better defender ??? maybe a slightly better defender during RS surely not when it counts in PO.

Rebounder. ok

Passer. Well in this case for SA it's quite complicated to have good apg stat : you don't assist Tim, Tim creates his own shoot. Pierce is more a catch and shoot player. Besides as Rondo has no scoring responsability his focus is passing the ball not feeding the box score.

Globally TP is a YOUNG all star, MVP finals, 3 rings and has also demonstrated that he can win games without Manu and even without Tim, Rondo is far far far away of TP level. No doubt that Rondo has a bright future but now it's really premature to compare.

Gant
03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Rondo is the fourth scoring option. Parker is the first or second on most nights and opposing defenses are usually focused on keeping Tony out of the paint, probably much more than Rondo.

When Rondo is the second option he does what he did last night. He can score in a very similar fashion to Parker- slash and burn.

You can't penalize a guy for deciding it's a good idea to pass to Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

sonic21
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
When Rondo is the second option he does what he did last night. He can score in a very similar fashion to Parker- slash and burn.

You can't penalize a guy for deciding it's a good idea to pass to Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

tony carried the spurs and won some games without manu and duncan, i don't think rondo can do that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
As overrated as I think Parker is.....THIS THREAD SUCKS!!!

1usamotorsports.com
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

What kind of stupid question is that?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM

I'd love to see who would shoot a higher percentage if Rondo was the 2nd option on his team. I'd also love to see what Parker's % would be if he played with Pierce and Allen and got to run the pick and roll with Perkins and KG setting illegal screens.

Gant
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd love to see who would shoot a higher percentage if Rondo was the 2nd option on his team. I'd also love to see what Parker's % would be if he played with Pierce and Allen and got to run the pick and roll with Perkins and KG setting illegal screens.

When the Celtics other stars go out with injury, Rondo shoots more but his percentage stays the same.

Rondo is a vastly superior defender. He's the best defending point in basketball.

You can make believe Parker is way better, but Rondo is actually superior in many critical phases of the game. They are similar players. Parker shoots more. Rondo does nearly everything else better.

Rondo is schemed for every single game. The notion that he is not defended is absurd. Teams change their entire defense to scheme Rondo.

There's not a lot of separation between these two point guards. They're both very good.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
How did this get to 4 pages???

Brazil
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM

Parker overrated ??

sonic21
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM

overrated? by who? the medias never speak about him, and casual fans don't think he's an elite PG.
he's underrated for sure.

mathbzh
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Rondo just had two very good games (he played eavy minutes though).
But what did he do the 3 games before?

In march, TP average 25 pts / 7 ast with 52.8 FG% in just 34 minutes.
His worst shooting % during that stretch is 43% à Portland.

Rondo has a bright future, but right now there is no way he can score like Parker.

Gant
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Rondo just had two very good games (he played eavy minutes though).
But what did he do the 3 games before?

Played on a sprained ankle.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
overrated? by who? the medias never speak about him, and casual fans don't think he's an elite PG.

Yes, I think a lot of Spurs fans on this board overrate him. Not saying ESPN does or anything, I'm saying every team has a player the fan base overrates massively, and that player for the Spurs is Parker.

I didn't want to start a Parker overrated argument, I was saying that even though I think parker is overrated, the notion it would be smart to trade him for Rondo is absurd.

ForeignFan
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Sometimes these kind of comparaisons are lame.
Regarding the scoring, Rondo has no responsability for the scoring it's easier when you have the luxury of selecting your shoots and not having the scoring responsability on your back (I'm sure KT has a better FG% than TP and Rondo, so KT>TP and Rondo??). I would like to see what would be the FG% of Rondo if he should take 20 shoot per game and lead the box score for his team.

Much better defender ??? maybe a slightly better defender during RS surely not when it counts in PO.

Rebounder. ok

Passer. Well in this case for SA it's quite complicated to have good apg stat : you don't assist Tim, Tim creates his own shoot. Pierce is more a catch and shoot player. Besides as Rondo has no scoring responsability his focus is passing the ball not feeding the box score.

Globally TP is a YOUNG all star, MVP finals, 3 rings and has also demonstrated that he can win games without Manu and even without Tim, Rondo is far far far away of TP level. No doubt that Rondo has a bright future but now it's really premature to compare.

+1
And (once again) the Spurs offense does not only go through TP - you would have to factor in the total team assists number (though I don't kow how). And the stats in crunch time, etc, etc.

Gant
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I love Parker's game and don't want anyone to think I'm criticizing here. I think he's a great point guard. I just also believe Rondo is his equal.

Gant
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Man you watch too much ESPN and listen to the commentators...Rondo is worthless and is only decent b/c of the talent he has around him....put him on the Bobcats or Kings and no one will know who he is. If Parker was on one of those teams we'd know how he is. OVERRATED ESPN B.S.! King Crab and Rondo---most overrated players in the NBA.:bang

This is based on nothing. Rondo is a terrific point guard. He plays equally well with or without the other stars.

Parker also had the same criticisms levelled at him when he broke in playing with Duncan. It made no sense with Parker and it makes no sense with Rondo.

sonic21
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes, I think a lot of Spurs fans on this board overrate him. Not saying ESPN does or anything, I'm saying every team has a player the fan base overrates massively, and that player for the Spurs is Parker.

I didn't want to start a Parker overrated argument, I was saying that even though I think parker is overrated, the notion it would be smart to trade him for Rondo is absurd.

well i guess i know what you mean, it's like suns fans with amare.
but i don't think he's overrated here, there's more tony haters than other players haters

The way Spurs fans disrespect Tony is such an injustice, especially with the way he's carried this team through all its nasty injuries this season. I cannot ever remember another Spurs player being so disgustingly underrated and under-appreciated by people who are supposed to be his fans. Tony Parker is an elite point guard in his prime who keeps adding new things to his game. Deal with it everyone.

ducks
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

yeah those allstar selection by nba coaches and finals mvp are a fluke

sonic21
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I love Parker's game and don't want anyone to think I'm criticizing here. I think he's a great point guard. I just also believe Rondo is his equal.

yeah but you can't compare an allstar who's the 1st or 2nd option on offense whose part of a big 3 with a good role player ( maybe allstar, we'll see) whose playing with a big 3.

it's me
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Rondo PG >Tony PG
Rondo SG <Tony SG

Tony wouldn’t be very good playing on the Celtics’s system. (defining “good” per espn and shitty modern media “good=inflated stats”)

Rondo wouldn’t be very good playing on the Spurs’s system. (defining “good” as a player that makes his teammates better and increases the chances of winning a title.)

manufor3
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
rondo isnt close to parker. come back in 3-5 years and we'll talk.

mathbzh
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM

I see what you mean but I don't think Parker is overrated.
He is the best (or very close to) scorer among PG. He has improved his court vision and his passing. He is now a leader. He is at least decent on the defensive end (good when he is focused). Right now, Parker has no major weakness in his game (as he used to). He is a legitimate all-star and without discussion an elite PG.

Of course, here and there, after a great game some of us will say he is better than Paul. But I think most of us consider him as a top 3 to top 6 PG... and this is where he belongs.

Sometime we say Gino>Kobe, Hill>Payton, Mahinmi>Olajuwon... but this is just how fans are. In case you didn't notice, after a poor game you will also see a lot of "trade Parker", "Hill>>>>Parker"...

Go For Tree
03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
how in the fuck did this thread get to 5 pages?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
you think Parker is overrated? How so?

When I say he's overrated, it's just as much a compliment to Pop and Duncan as it is an insult to Parker.

The reason I say he's overrated is because his game is relatively one dimensional, however it's gotten a lot better this year and after that stretch where he carried the team w/o Duncan and Manu my opinion of him became a lot better, but it seems like most of his plays are pick and rolls. His defense IMO is very inconsistent, his passing/court vision is not very good when compared to other top tier PG's, and as much as his jumper has improved, it should be better given he has normal sized hands. Rondo's jumper will never be consistent because of how big his hands are, which is another reason why that trade would suck.

And I know someone is gonna say to me well all Nash does is pick and rolls, is he overrated? And my answer is yes, he is overrated.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
well i guess i know what you mean, it's like suns fans with amare.

No, the "I didn't watch basketball before 2004" Suns fans take overrating to a whole new level. The Suns fan base overrated Amare A LOT more than the fans on this board overrate Parker, can't even compare the two.

There are a few fan bases that overrated basically every player on the team, mainly the Lakers, Cavs, and Suns.

DPG21920
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Lets put it this way. Boston would jump on this trade.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Nash is overrated now...not a few years ago. I can see what you are saying, but I know you are going to hate this, but he has a Finals MVP and a 3 time allstar. I don't think Rondo could ever do that on his best day. But yeah they do have their flaws. I would never trade Tony and I don't think they ever will. Parker will win games for us too, Rondo doesn't do that.

I'm not going to hate that, the argument is about Parker so bringing up the fact he's won a finals MVP makes perfect sense.

And yeah, a lot of the time a player is overrated because he plays in a system that let him play to his strengths and covered up a lot of his weaknesses. This is the case with Nash and D'antoni, and none of us know if it's the case with Pop and Parker, it's just a guess of mine.

And if Parker keeps carrying them like he is, I'll probably stop calling him overrated.

Red Hawk #21
03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Even in 5 years Rondo will not be as good as TP. TP>>>>>Rajon "I can't hit a jumper " Rondo

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd say the Lakers and Cavs for sure.

Cavs are actually the worst, I'll bet most of them would say Mo Williams is better than both Rondo and Parker. This one annoying fuck I know who's a Cavs fan says Mo Williams is a better shooter than Ray Allen.

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM

He is very very underrated, he does not deserve that, since TP is really the Spurs best player.

sonic21
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
He is very very underrated, he does not deserve that, since TP is really the Spurs best player.

i will add tony > duncan + manu :stirpot:

MoSpur
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Dumbest thread ever. Seriously.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
since TP is really the Spurs best player.

If anyone wonders why I say Parker is overrated, this kind of retarded comment is why.

thiste
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Celtics would do it in a heartbeat. Why shouldn't they, they'd win the next 4 with Parker on their roster.

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Celtics would do it in a heartbeat. Why shouldn't they, they'd win the next 4 with Parker on their roster.

Money for starters. Rondo is the best bargain on their otherwise expensive team.

Even in a contract neutral situation, I think they keep Rondo. In building a franchise teams think long term and Rondo is going to be cheap for two or three more years and is already a top flight PG. He's only going to get better.

it's me
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not going to hate that, the argument is about Parker so bringing up the fact he's won a finals MVP makes perfect sense.

And yeah, a lot of the time a player is overrated because he plays in a system that let him play to his strengths and covered up a lot of his weaknesses. This is the case with Nash and D'antoni, and none of us know if it's the case with Pop and Parker, it's just a guess of mine.

And if Parker keeps carrying them like he is, I'll probably stop calling him overrated.

Well, you have a point there slowly Pop is using Hill just to cover Tony’s ass on his poor defense…

romain.star
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
so basically, people here are discussing about a Parker vs rondo trade for... 6 pages. And posters use the same thread to bring the Parker is overrated argument. This is funny

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
If anyone wonders why I say Parker is overrated, this kind of retarded comment is why.

He is, who else? duncan? :) And dont call such comments retarded, just because you dont agree with other people's points. That's retarded!

Its all about duncan, duncan, duncan, duncan. He was, duncan is overrated, he is getting old, and currently he plays like shit. Get over duncan, hell quit soon.

stéphane
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Fantasy basket ball.

As a spurs fan, all I want is my team to have a legitimate shot at the title.
With Tony we do. With Rondo we wouldn't.
Nuf said.

timvp
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
As long as this thread got trashed, which Spurs fans would do the following trades:

1. Duncan for Garnett
2. Duncan for Pierce and Allen
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

stéphane
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
As long as this thread got trashed, which Spurs fans would do the following trades:

1. Duncan for Garnett
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

Gooden for Perkins could be done.
Some may consider Manu for Pierce but an healthy Manu is imo a better fit for us and we still haven't talked about the salary gap.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM

1. Duncan for Garnett
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

Right now....??

give me Perkins :hat

Gant
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM

The Celtics would not do this trade. (Neither team would.)

With Parker the Celtics offense would not improve- When they're healthy Boston already has plenty of offense and Parker's shots would come at the expense of other great scorers.

But Boston is based on defense first, and Parker is a downgrade from Rondo defensively.

It would also cost the Celtics a few possessions a game on rebounds.

You add the contractual situation and the age difference (they need SOMEONE to build around in a few years) and there's no way Boston would do the swap.

I understand everyone here thinking Parker is superior (you've only seen Rondo play only a limited amount) but that's just not the case. The stats tell a different story and so do the games.

Rondo is a terrific young point guard- the best in the game defensively, one of the best passers, one of the best rebounders, and the top percentage shooter.

The argument that he only does it because of teammates has been debunked; he's just as good or better without the other stars.

The statement that Marbury was picked up because of perceived weakness in Rondo is not true. Marbury is there because Eddie House is vulnerable to the press and the Celtics tempo dies when Rondo leaves the game.

In February when the team was healthy the Celtics went on an extended western road trip. Rondo faced Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Deron Williams, and Chauncey Billups. That's five straight guys who will some day get hall of fame consideration.

Question: How did he do? Answer: On average a lot better than they did.

Here's Rondo vs. 5 all stars over that period:
Assists: Rondo 50, All Stars 41.
Rebs: Rondo 38, All Stars 11.

If it wasn't for early foul trouble in Utah it would have been even more lopsided.

Rondo's playing hurt now, but he has to be healthy. Without Rondo the Celtics have no chance to repeat. He's every bit as important to their team as Parker is to the Spurs.

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 02:13 PM

1. Duncan for Garnett
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

contract neutral?

kace
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

1. Duncan for Garnett
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

Gooden for Perkins should be the only trade conceivable for spurs fans.

The big 3 is fine and their contracts are reasonable. There could be question about manu's level and health, but if he's at his real level, it's a no brainer here too. i think that these PO are very important for manu's future (and future contract) with the spurs. Tim and Tony won't go anywhere. Manu, hopefully and logically, will be here too till he retires.

beachwood
03-19-2009, 02:49 PM
aww hell no!

bostonguy
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

Yes.
I would deal Rondo and even be willing to donate a testicle if it meant getting Tony Parker.

Duncan2177
03-19-2009, 03:04 PM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

Fuck no

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 03:26 PM

That's one of the worst things anyone has ever said about Parker here. :td

ambchang
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
The idea that because Rondo has similar/better stats than Parker based on 36 mins, then Rondon >= Parker is absurd. You are strictly assuming that a player has a linear increase in statistics based on minutes played while ignoring factors like fatigue, opposition defense adjustments, and such.
Pops Mensah-Bonsu averages 27 and 19, with 1.8 steals and 1.8 blocks, shooting 71.4% from the field when his stats were projected to 36 minutes. That is better than Duncan, but we all know that Duncan > Pops.
To take a player who has more minutes. In 2008, Ginobili averages 22.6 ppg, 5.2 ast, 5.5 rpg, 1.7 stls, and shoots 46.1% FG%, 40.1 3P%, and 86FT%. Kobe scores 26.2 ppg, gets 5 ast, 5.8 rpg, 1.7 stls, 45.9FG%, 36.1 3P%, and 84FT%, but nobody will say that Ginobili > Kobe, right?
36 minute stats also gave Calvin Booth a very fat contract. But we all know that this kind of analysis is faulty.
And no, Rondo is not Parker’s equal. While you are asking people not to penalize Rondo for not being the 1st option, you are unfairly rewarding him by treating his stats as if he was a 1st option on offense.
In the games where at least one of the big 3s were (up until the Miami game) not present, the stats for Rondo is as follows:
~ 30 minutes a game
13 ppg, 8.5 ast, 5.4 rpg, 1.2 stl, 0.2 blk on 48% FG, 29% 3P, and 73% FT
While nice, this translates to a
15.6 ppg, 10.2 ast, 6.5 rpg, 1.44 spg, and 0.2 bpg per 36 minute stat, on the above percentages.
No surprises that Rondo saw a dip in FG% and 3P% when attention is being taken away from him.

SpursDynasty
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't trade Jacque Vaughan for Rajon Rondo. Rondo pretty much became the ultimate shithead when he wanted to push Kobe and act like he was someone significant. While Kobe isn't an MVP-type caliber player or necessarily spectacular, you have to respect him for showing restraint against scrubs like Rondo and against Raja Bell a few years ago when he clotheslined him. Why waste time and get suspended over two nothings...

Rondo is one of the top 5 overrated NBA players this season.

I have nothing against Rondo as a person, he's just useless on the court.

Agloco
03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I think that in the Spurs position, they need Tony's scoring. We'd be totally screwed if Rondo was trying to carry the load. That's the clincher.

Mugen
03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
i honestly wouldnt even trade george hill for rondo.

Agloco
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM

That's one of the worst things anyone has ever said about Parker here. :td

I have to agree. Comparing Parker to Manu and discussing trades is one thing. Comparing him to Rondo though? Saying he's Parker's equal no less? That's just wrong dude.

Agloco
03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Money for starters. Rondo is the best bargain on their otherwise expensive team.

Even in a contract neutral situation, I think they keep Rondo. In building a franchise teams think long term and Rondo is going to be cheap for two or three more years and is already a top flight PG. He's only going to get better.

While I appreciate your argument, there's no way the Celtics turn down Parker for Rondo if their contracts matched. That's absolutely absurd.

timvp
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM

In the "rating" scale, Parker is a distant third by Spurs fans behind Duncan and Ginobili.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
In the "rating" scale, Parker is a distant third by Spurs fans behind Duncan and Ginobili.

Hard to figure out why....

If it were not for Parker this year playing at a Superstar level, we would probably be out of the playoff race by now

Ungrateful Spur fans:ihit

DPG21920
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Because fans like the "fire" from Manu and the Dunks and 3's and Tim has been the Man. So it is not too surprising to find that TP is behind. It is ridiculous, but not surprising.

sonic21
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
not surprising and unfair

Borosai
03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
No.

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Hard to figure out why....

If it were not for Parker this year playing at a Superstar level, we would probably be out of the playoff race by now

Ungrateful Spur fans:ihit

It's probably because he is french :P anyways, he is the best spurs player!!!

He is underrated and as DPG21920 said above, it is really ridiculous:ihit

Spursone
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
HELL TO THE NO!:nope

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
He is, who else? duncan? :) And dont call such comments retarded, just because you dont agree with other people's points. That's retarded!

Its all about duncan, duncan, duncan, duncan. He was, duncan is overrated, he is getting old, and currently he plays like shit. Get over duncan, hell quit soon.

LOL, yeah, Duncan is overrated, the best PF of all time is overrated.

And I'm not the only one who doesn't agree with you, the number of MVP's, finals MVP's, defensive 1st and 2nd team appearances, all NBA team appearances, and statistics all disagree with you.

Bukefal
03-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey, i dont say he wasnt great, cause he was, he is/was one of the best players of the nba, and best of spurs for a long long time, but look at the word WAS. His time is in the past, it doesnt mean he is still good and great and all. His time is over. But currently, tony is the best player of the spurs, and highly underrated, if it wasnt for him, spurs would be probably not much worth this year. he plays at superstar level, while tim has left that level, which is completely normal.

Cry Havoc
03-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Tony is a distant third to Manu?

I don't know about that. Sure, when Manu's on fire he's unstoppable, but Parker is so much more consistent, and gets injured far less. I'd say Manu is third unless he's healthy and playing balls-out. At that point he might be better than Duncan. :lol

kace
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Tony is a distant third to Manu?

I don't know about that. Sure, when Manu's on fire he's unstoppable, but Parker is so much more consistent, and gets injured far less. I'd say Manu is third unless he's healthy and playing balls-out. At that point he might be better than Duncan. :lol

he said "in the rating scale" and "by spurs fans". it has nothing to do with the real level.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I can't believe a Suns fan would call Parker overrated after the way he's continuously raped Phoenix since 04-05.

angelbelow
03-19-2009, 09:26 PM
rondo is not at the level of tony parker and im not sure he ever will be. hes playing on a team with 3 superstar scorers. it opens a lot of doors for him.

you talk about potential but why give up parker for rondo because he has the potential to be good as parker? seems like of counter productive to me.

and parkers like 27, pretty darn young too.

SouthTexasRancher
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Not only no but, Hell NO...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I know I'll still probably get a bunch of shit for this.....but does anyone think this is a closer argument now than 2 months ago?

DAF86
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/Oh_Shit_Not_Again2.jpg

DAF86
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I know I'll still probably get a bunch of shit for this.....but does anyone think this is a closer argument now than 2 months ago?

Did you see Parker dropping 43?

timaios
05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

If you want another title for the Celtics, it's the thing to do !

The Franchise
05-03-2009, 12:37 PM

The only way I would do this is if I was Danny Ainge. Boston management would kill Rondo if they thought it would get them Tony. :lol

VI_Massive
Did you see Parker dropping 43?

No doubt. He was great. Never meant to imply that he wasn't.

But I think Rondo is great too. Maybe the best performance in the playoffs so far.

And I'm not saying one is clearly better than the other -- just that its close, especially when you take contract situations into account.

Strike
Hell No!:nope But you were brave for asking:lol

Bravery and retardation are two different things.

Agloco
05-03-2009, 12:41 PM

If anything, it solidifies just about everyone's thinking on the matter.

I don't see Rondo doing what Tony does on a nightly basis.

DAF86
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

But I think Rondo is great too. Maybe the best performance in the playoffs so far.

And I'm not saying one is clearly better than the other -- just that its close, especially when you take contract situations into account.

I am, Parker is clearly better than Rondo.

The Franchise
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

The reason Rondo was looking great was because of the horrible interior defense the Bulls were playing. Tyrus Thomas and Joakhim Noah were constantly out of position, practically begging Rondo to take it to the hole. Tony is the better player, and it's not even close.

HiLouis!
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
What an absolutely idiotic thread. I love Parker's attitude and hate everything about Rondo. Rondo passes to one of the two best pure shooters in the league, one of the top 5 big men, and another great scorer. He's also a little bitch. Tony is competitive and confident but never stupid. He still has the Spurs streak of determination and putting his money where his mouth is. Rondo isn't even an improvement over Tony in any area on the court. He's a talented player on a team with elite talent, but Tony kept us afloat for an entire season and put this team on his back without complaining. Tony Parker deserves to be a superstar in this league, and I wouldn't have said that before the Dallas series.

Tony will always be better than Rondo. Five years from now I would still take Tony. And he's making 12 mil to be one of the top 3 pgs and top 15 players in the league.

NRHector
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Please someone delete this thread

ajballer4
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
god no...chicago was leaving him open on purpose...he has NO jumper

Biggems
05-03-2009, 01:26 PM
To be honest........I wouldnt take any PG in the NBA over Parker, and that include Chris "Helicopter" Paul

Paul showed me what a bitch he really is in those final two playoff games. The Spurs may have lost, but Parker went out guns a blazin. He did everything he could to carry the team on his back.

this thread is completely absurd.....Rondo couldnt lace Parker's Nikes, much less replace him in Silver and Black.

E20
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
At first glance when I opened up the thread, I thought it was gonna be one of the many stupid Trade ______ threads.

But this thread has shit to back it up and not what I expected. :tu

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
To be honest........I wouldnt take any PG in the NBA over Parker, and that include Chris "Helicopter" Paul

Paul showed me what a bitch he really is in those final two playoff games. The Spurs may have lost, but Parker went out guns a blazin. He did everything he could to carry the team on his back.

Yeah, I was really surprised at how Paul folded in that series. I understand he may hate Byron Scott, but that's no excuse to play the way he did. Dahntay Jones totally punked him, and Jones is good, no doubt, but if you're supposed to be the best PG in the league and one of the best players, you can't get owned that badly by anyone for a whole series.

And please folks, keep in mind that I'm not saying I WOULD trade Parker for Rondo. I'm just saying I think its an interesting question to consider. I think they're both underrated, although after this season/postseason they will probably be properly rated. The deciding factor, I think, is that Rondo simply doesn't provide the scoring output for which the Spurs count on Parker.

Here's a different question I have that's tangentially related --- why do you think TP ran out of gas so much at the end of the season/end of the Mavs' games? I know he handles the ball all the time, is relied upon for scoring etc., but look at Ray Allen in that Boston/Chicago series......he runs as much if not more than anyone in the league -- constantly in motion -- and it took almost 60 hours of floor time before he finally started to look diminished at the end of game 6.

Is there something Tony doesn't do conditioning-wise? That's hard for me to imagine.

Is it the French NT play?

What am I missing?

GooberNuts
05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
No.

Biggems
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I was really surprised at how Paul folded in that series. I understand he may hate Byron Scott, but that's no excuse to play the way he did. Dahntay Jones totally punked him, and Jones is good, no doubt, but if you're supposed to be the best PG in the league and one of the best players, you can't get owned that badly by anyone for a whole series.

And please folks, keep in mind that I'm not saying I WOULD trade Parker for Rondo. I'm just saying I think its an interesting question to consider. I think they're both underrated, although after this season/postseason they will probably be properly rated. The deciding factor, I think, is that Rondo simply doesn't provide the scoring output for which the Spurs count on Parker.

Here's a different question I have that's tangentially related --- why do you think TP ran out of gas so much at the end of the season/end of the Mavs' games? I know he handles the ball all the time, is relied upon for scoring etc., but look at Ray Allen in that Boston/Chicago series......he runs as much if not more than anyone in the league -- constantly in motion -- and it took almost 60 hours of floor time before he finally started to look diminished at the end of game 6.

Is there something Tony doesn't do conditioning-wise? That's hard for me to imagine.

Is it the French NT play?

What am I missing?

Allen doesnt run as hard as Parker, as balls out as Parker. Also, Allen doesnt penetrate to the rim and get knocked to the ground as often as Parker.....then on defense, Parker has to guard guys like Kidd, Barea, Paul, Williams, Bibby, Harris, Nash, etc.....those little guys make you use a lot of energy on the defensive end.

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Allen doesnt run as hard as Parker, as balls out as Parker. Also, Allen doesnt penetrate to the rim and get knocked to the ground as often as Parker.....then on defense, Parker has to guard guys like Kidd, Barea, Paul, Williams, Bibby, Harris, Nash, etc.....those little guys make you use a lot of energy on the defensive end.

Ray Allen runs as hard and as much without the ball in his hands as anyone. No way you can dispute that. And in the Chicago series, Allen was chasing Ben Gordon, another guy in constant motion. So those arguments are without merit.

Allen doesn't have the ball in his hands like TP and doesn't drive to the rim like him -- those are the only differences. But the amount of running and intensity of the running without the ball that Allen does seems to me like it would even out the "not having the ball in his hands" factor.

Biggems
05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Ray Allen runs as hard and as much without the ball in his hands as anyone. No way you can dispute that. And in the Chicago series, Allen was chasing Ben Gordon, another guy in constant motion. So those arguments are without merit.

Allen doesn't have the ball in his hands like TP and doesn't drive to the rim like him -- those are the only differences. But the amount of running and intensity of the running without the ball that Allen does seems to me like it would even out the "not having the ball in his hands" factor.

allen isnt in constant motion...yes he moves around a lot, but there are also several possessions where he sets up behind the arc and lets the offense come to him.

if you are basing this on the Bulls series, then your view is skewed. Remember, the Cs are missing Garnett. Allen has to move around more to get open. When Garnett is in there, Allen is more stagnant, cause the D collapses on Garnett and Pierce, and Allen is wide open on the perimeter.

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 02:13 PM
allen isnt in constant motion...yes he moves around a lot, but there are also several possessions where he sets up behind the arc and lets the offense come to him.

if you are basing this on the Bulls series, then your view is skewed. Remember, the Cs are missing Garnett. Allen has to move around more to get open. When Garnett is in there, Allen is more stagnant, cause the D collapses on Garnett and Pierce, and Allen is wide open on the perimeter.

Disagree. He runs as hard and as much as anyone. The only other player I can think of who comes close in that dept. is Rip Hamilton. At least, when he was alive.

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
but back to the bigger point....why was TP getting gassed at the 40 minute mark when other players who exert similar amounts of energy seem to be able to play as long or longer without tiring as quickly?

To me, Ray Allen's constant motion is closer to the effort Parker exerts driving to the rim all the time. I don't think you can argue that Parker "runs harder" than Ray, but maybe I'm wrong about how much energy the constant drives sap?

ducks
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Boston has so much faith in Rondo, going out and signing Sam Cassell and Stephon Marbury in back to back seasons.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Hemotivo
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
only if tony wants to go to boston

EricB
05-03-2009, 02:48 PM
At first glance when I opened up the thread, I thought it was gonna be one of the many stupid Trade ______ threads.

But this thread has shit to back it up and not what I expected. :tu

Wow, shocking.... :rolleyes

cheney212
05-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Rondo sucks this post cant be serious

AnthonyM
05-03-2009, 06:43 PM
but back to the bigger point....why was TP getting gassed at the 40 minute mark when other players who exert similar amounts of energy seem to be able to play as long or longer without tiring as quickly?

To me, Ray Allen's constant motion is closer to the effort Parker exerts driving to the rim all the time. I don't think you can argue that Parker "runs harder" than Ray, but maybe I'm wrong about how much energy the constant drives sap?

exerting energy coming off screens and then shooting is definitely not as exhausting as driving in the lane possession after possession...

not to mention parker gets knocked down in a game way more than allen does

andddd parker had to carry the team most of the year...him getting tired in the dallas series was a product of the whole season not just those games....

and tony being tired at the end of the games wouldnt have mattered had our role players showed up in the series...

VaSpursFan
05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
no way. rondo looks good because he's on a team with players that actually hit shots (allen, pierce, KG). put him on the spurs, we score 20 less points a game and rondo would average 2 assists with the brick throwers that we have. rondo would merely be an average pg on the spurs.

Spursfan092120
05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Not just no...HELL FUCK NO! Rondo wouldn't have the refs in his pocket if he left Boston.

spurs opsman
05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
<p>
Don't know if theoretical trade threads are frowned upon or not, but I was watching the Celtics game tonight and listening to them talk about how good Rondo is. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And I agree, so would you trade or approve of a trade of Tony Parker for Rajon Rondo, straight up?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>My thoughts:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Rondo's younger and cheaper and likely to get better. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>But Parker is a championship-winning stud who's playing the best ball of his career right now.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I would be in favor of it, though I think its an incredibly close argument.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In posing the question, I'm considering it not just as a &quot;who's better?&quot; argument but who you would rather have as a franchise, including age, salary, prospects for improvement, etc.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What do you think?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Jace
05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Rondo doesn't suck but he isn't Tony Parker either.

spurs opsman
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Why not just suggest trading TP to a divisional rival for cash and the rights to some "euro" that will never play for the Spurs ever...like that would ever happen!:lmao:lmao:lmao

SouthTexasRancher
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
For Rondo? No

For Ronda? Yes

And don't forget Ronda's twin sister, Rhonda. Yum, yum!

SouthTexasRancher
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM

If it ain't it is damn close.

Brazil
05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Rondo doesn't suck but he isn't Tony Parker either.

what he said

timvp
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Rondo has gotten pretty damn good. I give props to Doc Rivers for giving him room to grow and play to his absolute maximum capabilities. Rivers has done an amazing job with the youngsters on the Celtics. He has freakin' Big Baby playing close to a 20 and 10 player.

TP still is the better but Rondo is definitely in the top ten now.

That said, I want to see what he does in the next round versus Alston. Derrick Rose was statistically the worst defender in the league this season. Alston, on the other hand, is someone who I think has been underrated as a defender for the last few years. Outside of Devin Harris, Alston probably defends Parker the best and could make life tough for Rondo.

BadOne
05-04-2009, 07:44 AM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

Nope. Rondo, though improving, rode KG's success to a championship. Tony himself has had to take over games in the past in order to secure a win. Rondo is a decent point guard, but I doubt he will ever be an All Star.

Toni61
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Rondo < Parker

Brazil
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Rondo<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<... Parker

sonic21
05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
this thread failed so much

Rogue
05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I would trade Tony Parker for 3 Rondos.

romain.star
05-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Nelson > Rondo > Fisher > Mutombo > Parker > Paul

WTF????????????????????????????

superbigtime
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
No way. Seriously?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
If the Spurs were to decide to trade Parker they could get a lot more than Rondo in return.

peacemaker885
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned it: If we trade parker, the only true point gaurd who knows the Spurs playbook aside from Jaque Vaughn, who on earth will be our point? It would take at least a year for an intelligent, not to mention thick skinned player to be able to run the system..more for others maybe... By the time he's ready, Spurs are no longer

Flux451
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Parker for Rondo, House, Perkins

Mel_13
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Parker for Rondo, House, Perkins
That trade really doesn't work for Boston.

If you really want to have fun making up trades for Parker, look at Portland's roster and payroll. They'd probably be willing to move anyone except Roy, Aldridge, and Oden to get a shot at Tony. Lots of young cheap pieces, extra draft choices and cash available.

hater
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Rondo is a piece of shit. especially compared to Parker.

that being said, I would not mind if SPurs shop Parker around. lots of talent around and Spurs need a few good men

baseline bum
05-04-2009, 01:56 PM
A more interesting trade would be Parker for Rondo+Allen.

timvp
05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
As long as we are talking hypotheticals, who would trade Manu for Ray Allen? Prior to Manu's last injury and Allen's outbursts in the playoffs while playing heavy minutes, I would have scoffed at the notion. But now?

One would have to at least consider :vomit:

rayray2k8
05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
A more interesting trade would be Parker for Rondo+Allen.

How do I react to this suggestion?
Having Allen would be nice and Rondo's a poor man's version of Parker, not a bad trade, but I still wouldn't do it. :)

sananspursfan21
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Rondo for TP? Hah

More like G-Hill for Rondo?

i'd do the george hill for rondo too :lol

bostonguy
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

I would do the trade in a heartbeat. You can have Rondo if it means getting Parker in return.

Spursmania
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
No.

cheney212
05-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I would do the trade in a heartbeat. You can have Rondo if it means getting Parker in return.
see even the celtic fan would give up rondo that quickly :lol rondo<PARKER

SpursWench21
05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I understand where youre coming from but....nope and..nope

ManuTP9
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM

DAF86
05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by timvp

I would trade Tony Parker for 3 Rondos.

Why the hell would you want three Rondos for?

DAF86
05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
As long as we are talking hypotheticals, who would trade Manu for Ray Allen? Prior to Manu's last injury and Allen's outbursts in the playoffs while playing heavy minutes, I would have scoffed at the notion. But now?

One would have to at least consider :vomit:

2 for 12 for 9 points in 40 minutes of play :wakeup once a jump shooter always a jump shooter

Ice009
05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
2 for 12 for 9 points in 40 minutes of play :wakeup once a jump shooter always a jump shooter

I was waiting for to see what people thought after tonight's game ;).

If you want Boston to win more Championships then trade Parker to them.

fotan2
05-04-2009, 10:48 PM
if it's Rondo × 2 for TP, i probably will do it. too bad they dont have 2 Rondos .

Brazil
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Can we just let this thread die ?

SequSpur
05-04-2009, 11:56 PM

portnoy1
05-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Parker is overrated in the fact that he is a point guard. A point guard runs an offense, an settles a team down. When is the last time parker had a 6pt 15ast night. Parker looks to get himself going first. Parker is always gona get his. Parker works very hard in a possesion to get a shot for himself or his teammates. He runs alot of pick n rolls which so that he ca get into the lane. sometimes why not call a play for someone else? Calderon / Rondo / Cp3 / Deron Williams dont hold the ball. If they see something they like then they'll take it. if not they give the ball to their teammates and they let them create. All 4 point guards that I mention can score 20pts any time they want. Calderon is a great shooter / Rondo is as fast as parker / Deron williams and Cp3 can do it all offensively. Yet they get their points within the offensive system and assert themselves when neccesary. Parker holds the ball and doesn;t run an offense. When he runs all those pick an rolls with duncan he gets big men on him. He always looks to score after that. The other Point guards mentioned will look to feed it to the big man in the post who has a little guy on him. By the way when parker does get those big men to play him off a switch, how many times does he end up taking jumshots? Parker is great player and he can score at will. However Right now with the personnel we have we need a real point guard to facilitate and run offense and put others in a comfortable position to score, and then when neccesary insert themselves into the offense.

Oh, Gee!!
05-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Parker for Howard or LeBron maybe.

Brazil
05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
blablabla...

However Right now with the personnel we have we need a real point guard to facilitate and run offense and put others in a comfortable position to score, and then when neccesary insert themselves into the offense.

:lmao :lmao However right now with the personnel we have have we need TP score at least 50 pts to have a chance to win a game.
For sure TP needs to put Finley / Bonner / Udoka etc.. in a comfortable position :lmao

Congrat dude you deserve the award of the best post of this long, boring, shitty, useless, stupid thread.:toast

TMTTRIO
05-07-2009, 08:15 AM

1. Duncan for Garnett
3. Manu for Pierce
4. Manu for Allen
5. Manu for Rondo
6. Gooden for Perkins

Well right now Manu has no trade value so nobody would trade us for him anyways. I'm just hoping Manu gets really healthy this offseason and since it's a contract year I hope he has a really good season to get a contract either here or with somebody else. I don't care where he decides to go I just want him to have a good year next year.

whottt
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

My thoughts:

What do you think?

Eh...it wouldn't be a big enough difference to justify the trade. We'd be no closer to a title for doing it.

Furthermore, I'd be inclined to keep Tony as a career Spur because he's pretty much earned it already.

Tony is a much better scorer and Rondo is pretty good at everything else.

I do point to Rondo as an example of what Parker could be as a passer in the right situation, I actually think Tony is probably a better passer and better at getting guys open because of his scoring dominance, he just isn't asked to distribute as much as Rondo is.

All that said...I've been a Rondo fan going back a few years now and anyone that thinks he sucks or isn't/will never be, a great PG, is completely clueless.

His #1 attribute and probably his biggest positive in an area that is a more or less a negative for Parker...

Rondo's motor is always running. He never needs a kick in the pants to get him going. He never needs to be coerced or called out into doing it and even if he's not scoring, he can have an impact in virtually every other aspect of the game, because that's his weakest area, and most of the others are strenghts.

bdictjames
05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Rondo > Parker

In fact, Rondo is the best point guard in the league. I don't know if its his skill or Doc Rivers' doing, but the guy is unstoppable.

VI_Massive
05-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Rondo > Parker

In fact, Rondo is the best point guard in the league. I don't know if its his skill or Doc Rivers' doing, but the guy is unstoppable.

Easy there killer. He still needs a jumper and some consistency. He disappears in games and loses his aggressiveness in going to the paint. Since he lacks a consistent jumper, that is death to his offense.

The best part of his trade value is his cheapness and youth. You know he's only going to get better.

But to put this issue to rest, even if Rondo were better than Parker, and I don't think he is, the fact is that the Spurs window to win is RIGHT NOW while Timmy is still playing at an elite level. And we need Parker's volume scoring, which Rondo doesn't provide. Plus you'd be shaking the foundation of the team and its hard to know what will happen if you do that.

timaios
05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Easy there killer. He still needs a jumper and some consistency. He disappears in games and loses his aggressiveness in going to the paint. Since he lacks a consistent jumper, that is death to his offense.

The best part of his trade value is his cheapness and youth. You know he's only going to get better.

But to put this issue to rest, even if Rondo were better than Parker, and I don't think he is, the fact is that the Spurs window to win is RIGHT NOW while Timmy is still playing at an elite level. And we need Parker's volume scoring, which Rondo doesn't provide. Plus you'd be shaking the foundation of the team and its hard to know what will happen if you do that.

He was joking... It's called sarcasm.

Spursfan092120
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Can we just let this thread die ?
PLEASE!!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/jiloru/more animal/Praying_Kagura_pt__II_by_Photo_Cap.jpg

VI_Massive
05-08-2009, 12:40 AM
He was joking... It's called sarcasm.

Wow, reading that again its obvious. Guess my sarcasm detector was switched off.

Killakobe81
05-08-2009, 01:27 AM

Great insight. Rondo is good ...but the media is suckinh him off way too hard. His stats are great all-around but he is TO prone not clutch AND his jumper is as broke as Parker's used to be ...

I agree his only advantage is on defense but Rondo can not drop 40 like Parker he is good but not THAT good ...

Killakobe81
05-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Rondo > Parker

Best in the league? No way but I would take him over the even more overrated CP3 who has been the 5th best PG in these playoffs ...

spursbird
05-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Rondo > Parker

If any of his data is better than CP3, please tell me.
You really think 11.9 pts per game is unstoppable? If you think he has a lot of assists, think about Jose Calderon. You can also say Calderon is unstoppable.

portnoy1
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
if any of his data is better than cp3, please tell me.
You really think 11.9 pts per game is unstoppable? If you think he has a lot of assists, think about jose calderon. You can also say calderon is unstoppable.
freakin' finally calderon gets some respect for being a good point guard.

Brazil
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
PLEASE!!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/jiloru/more animal/Praying_Kagura_pt__II_by_Photo_Cap.jpg

Yes pleasssseeee !!!!

Biernutz
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Rondo for Parker?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/worflaugh.gif

RamReddy
05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
hell no...
why would you post such a horrible question. I don't think rondo will ever be as good as parker and i bet that george hill will be waaaay better than rondo in two years if not next season. I wouldn't even trade parker for nash. Parker will be the face of the spurs franchise when duncan retires. I don't care if hes averaging a triple double or whatever in the playoffs, i think he's a peice of shit.