View Full Version : Anyone seen Bill Maher's Religulous

AussieFanKurt
03-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd be interested to see reactions
I thought it was great but i'm anti-relgion
lets hear your thoughtss :toast

Medvedenko
03-19-2009, 12:48 AM
It was a good documentary, however it's easy to make fun of any over zealous zealots. It's cherry picking, but he did have a lot of great points. Definitely entertaining.

johngateswhiteley
03-19-2009, 12:56 AM
i liked it a lot and some of the moments were absolutely priceless. he has some wonderful points about the small group of atheists in America and tolerance across the board.

SA210
03-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Love Bill Maher. I don't agree with him on the Bible, but I understand his point on how some religions create war. I do plan on watching the film. I can't believe I haven't seen it already.

The Franchise
03-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I forgot all about it, thanks for reminding me. I think i'll check it out tommorow.

AussieFanKurt
03-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Its a good film hey.
i agree he picked some easy targets
but made excellent points

InRareForm
03-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Entertaining and makes people really think about what they are actually following and this is why every christian should watch it. Isn't it good to test ones faith>

200 miles
03-19-2009, 03:11 AM
I would pay good money to have Bill Maher and John Hagee locked in a room together with no windows but obscure cameras to watch the show.

MiamiHeat
03-19-2009, 03:15 AM
It sucked. The only part we found funny and entertaining was the Catholic Priest who was honest. You know, the bald older man standing in front of the Vatican.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I watched it. It is what it is.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Bible World or whatever that lame theme park was called was pretty funny.

I. Hustle
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I can't stand that idiot. Idiots like him and Al Sharpton don't get a dime from me.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Easy to go to a trucker convention and question their beliefs and look like a intelligent non conformist.

If he really wants to know the Truth like he says he does, he should talk to a Bible Scholar.

peewee's lovechild
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Easy to go to a trucker convention and question their beliefs and look like a intelligent non conformist.

If he really wants to know the Truth like he says he does, he should talk to a Bible Scholar.

He has.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
He has.

I read an article where a Bible Fundamentalist evangelist offered to debate Bill Maher on his show about Atheism/Evolution/Politics and Bill declined.

Maher is a bright dude but IMO not smart enough to debate intellectually. He has to add his humor/insults to make himself look smart and other people gullible/stupid.

peewee's lovechild
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I read an article where a Bible Fundamentalist evangelist offered to debate Bill Maher on his show about Atheism/Evolution/Politics and Bill declined.

Maher is a bright dude but IMO not smart enough to debate intellectually. He has to add his humor/insults to make himself look smart and other people gullible/stupid.

He's debated all sorts of people from all over the spectrum.

He's had intellectual conversations on religion with the likes of Eric Dyson and others. He's had intellectual conversations on political matters as well.

What article are you talking about and what evangelist are you referring to?

If it's an evangelist that won't let you put a word in edgewise, why even take it?

InRareForm
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM

i am gonna have to disagree on this, he can hold his own in a debate.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
He's debated all sorts of people from all over the spectrum.

He's had intellectual conversations on religion with the likes of Eric Dyson and others. He's had intellectual conversations on political matters as well.

What article are you talking about and what evangelist are you referring to?

If it's an evangelist that won't let you put a word in edgewise, why even take it?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50127

Wild Cobra
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Cherry picking to make the faithful look bad.

Bad form Bill, but nobody expects better from you.

I pity the man, and anyone else who hasn't had a spiritual experience. I'm not going to say any particular religion is right. I doubt it myself, but I know without doubt, that we are spiritual beings.

I saw maybe half the DVD before I couldn't stomach it any more. Pitiful piece of crap. Very Moore-on like.

AlamoSpursFan
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I would pay good money to have Bill Maher and John Hagee locked in a room together with no windows but obscure cameras to watch the show.

No contest. Hagee would eat him.

peewee's lovechild
03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
No contest. Hagee would eat him.

:lmao

koriwhat
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
It sucked. The only part we found funny and entertaining was the Catholic Priest who was honest. You know, the bald older man standing in front of the Vatican.

that's the only part i liked about it too... i used to like bill maher's show that was on regular tv when i was like in high school but i've grown tired of that dude. i'm not religious at all and i found the film to be nothing more then a way to scrutinize and humiliate these people to their face without hearing their stance on the matter and if you take that view then you're no different then the fundamentalists who judge us all daily. it's the same freakin' thing!

bill maher is washed up just like earl boykins. haha.

ps: similar bs to michael moore's films. you gotta be objective and not so damn biased.

ALVAREZ6
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I enjoyed it. Whether it was funny or not really doesn't concern me, I don't see this documentary as a comedy...it's real purpose is to spread the idea of doubt and he used a lot of good points. It wasn't that hilarious although some parts were funny, but I appreciate what he's trying to do and the movie's purpose.

baseline bum
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
that's the only part i liked about it too... i used to like bill maher's show that was on regular tv when i was like in high school but i've grown tired of that dude. i'm not religious at all and i found the film to be nothing more then a way to scrutinize and humiliate these people to their face without hearing their stance on the matter and if you take that view then you're no different then the fundamentalists who judge us all daily. it's the same freakin' thing!

ps: similar bs to michael moore's films. you gotta be objective and not so damn biased.

Some of Michael Moore's stuff is ok. Sicko was pretty good, although I hated when Moore would talk in the Bobby Jindal tone in it. Roger&Me was awesome. Fahrenheit was pretty shitty and him misrepresenting Trey Parker with that cartoon in Bowling was lame too.

EricB
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Michael Moore is a piece of shit whos films are full of lies.

Hell there are numerous books that debunk about 80% of all that he says in alot of his movies.

Its pathetic.

200 miles
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Exactly. Who is he to question and judge other people's beliefs (if any belief for that matter) and say what he thinks, goes? Just like you said, it would be like Maher as an evangelist questioning and judging atheists.

This world has a long, long way to go to acheive complete tolerance.

Another thing, I thought Maher looked awfully pathetic by desperately promoting his documentary while pouting that his work was not nominated at all during the Oscar ceremony.

S_A_Longhorn
03-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Maher spoke to some people that were easy targets, but he also spoke & travelled to a lot of the great locations in religion. No one stumped him, but you could see people being frustrated by his questions and the logic behind them.

I expected the film to be funnier, but it was definitly interesting. Maher brought up tons of points that I challenge people here to answer since he couldn't find any.

Virgin birth? No mention in the Old Testament (only in the King James' version of the Bible, the version written specifically for the Church or England)

Original Sin in the Bible?

Jesus never mentioning homosexuality?

The stories of Jesus by people who never met him?

Jonas in the a 'big fish' for three days?

A talking snake?

Abraham killing his son b/c God told him yet calling a woman, who did the same thing today, "crazy"?

The Jesus storying mirroring the older story of Horus?

xtremesteven33
03-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Ive talked to atheists with questions that were MUCH more difficult to answer than the questions that Maher had.....

believe me....

z0sa
03-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Maher spoke to some people that were easy targets, but he also spoke & travelled to a lot of the great locations in religion. No one stumped him, but you could see people being frustrated by his questions and the logic behind them.

I expected the film to be funnier, but it was definitly interesting. Maher brought up tons of points that I challenge people here to answer since he couldn't find any.

Virgin birth? No mention in the Old Testament (only in the King James' version of the Bible, the version written specifically for the Church or England)

Original Sin in the Bible?

Jesus never mentioning homosexuality?

The stories of Jesus by people who never met him?

Jonas in the a 'big fish' for three days?

A talking snake?

Abraham killing his son b/c God told him yet calling a woman, who did the same thing today, "crazy"?

The Jesus storying mirroring the older story of Horus?

is there even one mention of another religion's beliefs? This is an attack on christianity, not the religious.

MiamiHeat
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
for the record, I could make a MiamiHeat's version of Religulous 100000 times better than that crap Maher made.

S_A_Longhorn
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
is there even one mention of another religion's beliefs? This is an attack on christianity, not the religious.

Oh yeah, he went after Islam, Mormons, Jewish community, even a church in Amsterdam that uses the marijuana leaf as their church's symbol.

Roger Ebert made the prefect comment: Funny and interesting film, until he talks about faith. :toast

BacktoBasics
03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I saw this last night and was pretty disappointed and I'm a Maher fan.

Like stated above he pretty much attacked the ignorant. There was very little quality information being tossed around it was pretty much just Maher making people look stupid while talking over them like Bill O'Reilly. No real solid debating took place it was just a one sided assault that ultimately led nowhere.

LockBeard
03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Fuck Bill Maher.

xtremesteven33
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Like stated above he pretty much attacked the ignorant. There was very little quality information being tossed around it was pretty much just Maher making people look stupid while talking over them like Bill O'Reilly. No real solid debating took place it was just a one sided assault that ultimately led nowhere.

E20
03-24-2009, 01:20 AM

Haven't seen the movie, but that is what it seems like from the list of people he interviewed off Wiki. Nobody on that list seems to be serious. Like picking on a retard.