PDA

View Full Version : Oberto/Playoffs

Wolverine83
03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
It seems obvious that Bruce Bowen's minutes will be going up come playoff time for defensive purposes, but I hope Fabrico Oberto's will go up as well. I think Matt Bonner is an excellent SHOOTER that can play the 4 or the 5, but Oberto's rebounding and passing, as well as ability of finding a way to get open for easy baskets, make me think Oberto deserves to be used heavily in the playoff rotation. It would be very Pop-Like to put Oberto on the deep end of the bench the entire season only to increase his minutes for the playoffs. What do you guys think?

spursfaninla
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
no way.
1) gooden
2) thomas
3)oberto

minutes to be distributed in that order.

bonner fulfills a different purpose, and so competes for those minutes for different reasons than the others.

urunobili
03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Thomas
Gooden
Bonner
Oberto

in that order for big men minutes but it would also depend on the match up.

raspsa
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I think there will be plenty of time for any big man who performs well. All of them will get their chance and Pop will allocate PT time based on performance. It would be a luxury if ALL of them played well, what a great problem for Pop to have.. but realistically, some are going to have off nights or slumps lasting several games so the others hopefully can give quality minutes.

coyotes_geek
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Thomas
Gooden
Bonner
Oberto

in that order for big men minutes but it would also depend on the match up.

Agreed. Love Fab, but come playoff time he's not going to see too many meaningful minutes.

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Fab should start.

Its worked out before, he knows the system, the offense flows good thru him, hes tough defensively and a decent rebounder.

Thomas is too slow. Hes a solid player off the bench but wouldnt compliment Duncan too well in the start of games (offensively).

Bonner has shown to be mediocre at best. Hes aggressive but not effective defensively. If his 3 isnt falling he has nothing more to offer.

Gooden seems like a logical choice but him and Duncan play the same position. They both get thier points by posting up and i dont see them having good chemistry together. Maybe its just me but i dont think it would work out.

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I think it depends on two things:

1. match ups

2. Bonner's shot falling

With matchups, for example, Oberto seems to play Gasol well and Bonner is pretty useless against the Lakers. But if we played someone like Utah, I could see Bonner getting minutes against Okur.

The other thing is that Bonner's usefulness goes way down if he's not hitting his outside shot. However, I noticed against Minnesota, early, he was doing other things to make himself useful like hitting the boards hard, playing for tip-ins, etc. Bonner has to realize that he doesn't have the athleticism of other players and his value is going to come from jump shooting and non-stop hustle and effort. He's started to show those things again.

I think the Gooden acquisition threw him for a loop confidence-wise but I think he has gotten an idea of what he has to do to stay on the floor and will be doing or at least trying to do it more often.

spursfaninla
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Fab should start.

Its worked out before, he knows the system, the offense flows good thru him, hes tough defensively and a decent rebounder.

Thomas is too slow. Hes a solid player off the bench but wouldnt compliment Duncan too well in the start of games (offensively).

Bonner has shown to be mediocre at best. Hes aggressive but not effective defensively. If his 3 isnt falling he has nothing more to offer.

Gooden seems like a logical choice but him and Duncan play the same position. They both get thier points by posting up and i dont see them having good chemistry together. Maybe its just me but i dont think it would work out.

I think you're on drugs. The offense has never, and will never "flow thru him"...

That said, bonner is a question mark, gooden is still new and might not fit that well next to duncan, and thomas is a bit creaky

Spursmania
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it depends on two things:

1. match ups

2. Bonner's shot falling

With matchups, for example, Oberto seems to play Gasol well and Bonner is pretty useless against the Lakers. But if we played someone like Utah, I could see Bonner getting minutes against Okur.

The other thing is that Bonner's usefulness goes way down if he's not hitting his outside shot. However, I noticed against Minnesota, early, he was doing other things to make himself useful like hitting the boards hard, playing for tip-ins, etc. Bonner has to realize that he doesn't have the athleticism of other players and his value is going to come from jump shooting and non-stop hustle and effort. He's started to show those things again.

I think the Gooden acquisition threw him for a loop confidence-wise but I think he has gotten an idea of what he has to do to stay on the floor and will be doing or at least trying to do it more often.

:tu

PDXSpursFan
03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
TD/Oberto = start
Gooden/KT = backup
Bonner = garbage time

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I think you're on drugs. The offense has never, and will never "flow thru him"...

That said, bonner is a question mark, gooden is still new and might not fit that well next to duncan, and thomas is a bit creaky

:rolleyes

not as the main focus smartass.......

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
All I know is the dude looked damn good against Minnesota...I know it's Minnesota..but he looked a HELL of a lot quicker than Thomas or Bonner..and is a LOT better passer. Gooden should start (he won't) but Oberto should get some decent minutes.

Spursmania
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Oberto has got to get minutes. He's a proven smart player.
I don't want to compare him too much to the other bigs because it's evident that they have different roles to fulfill. If Pop puts one in and he is not performing, we have options.
Oberto's BB IQ is up there, and he knows where to be and why. His chemistry with Manu and the the big 3 is irreplaceable. Aside from that, it will depend on the match-ups. And, hell yes again to Oberto getting the minutes he deserves

Last thing, Bonner sucks against LA always has. Bonner should never start against LA. They have no respect for him because he has never done shit against them, so they eat him alive, and he never shoots well when we play LA.
Conversely, Bonner has played well against Boston-he's from that part of the country and grew up watching a lot of Celtic ball. I think he performs welll against Boston and thus should start against Boston. Maybe he'll get a hot hand again like the last time the Spurs played them.

It's a chess game-it's all about the match-ups.

Spursfan092120
03-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Oberto has got to get minutes. He's a proven smart player.
I don't want to compare him too much to the other bigs because it's evident that they have different roles to fulfill. If Pop puts one in and he is not performing, we have options.
Oberto's BB IQ is up there, and he knows where to be and why. His chemistry with Manu and the the big 3 is irreplaceable. Aside from that, it will depend on the match-ups. And, hell yes again to Oberto getting the minutes he deserves

Last thing, Bonner sucks against LA always has. Bonner should never start against LA. They have no respect for him because he has never done shit against them, so they eat him alive, and he never shoots well when we play LA.
Conversely, Bonner has played well against Boston-he's from that part of the country and grew up watching a lot of Celtic ball. I think he performs welll against Boston and thus should start against Boston. Maybe he'll get a hot hand again like the last time the Spurs played them.

It's a chess game-it's all about the match-ups.
:tu

Phenomanul
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
The trick for having Bonner play well against LA is to bring a busload of his family and friends over to the Staples Center.
:hat

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
The trick for having Bonner play well against LA is to bring a busload of his family and friends over to the Staples Center.
:hat

if that's what it takes......pass the hat in the locker room and let's charter some buses.