PDA

View Full Version : Drowning Child Goes Unaided - Tragic Turn for Sexual Predator Paranoia

jackflash444
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The other day I was on reddit and I saw an article about Sexual Predator Paranoia (http://theirtoys.com/sexblog/sex-offender-paranoia-weve-gone-too-far.html) The article gives 10 examples of how we've gone too far in trying to protect our kids from sexual predators. It is one thing to reduce risk and create laws that keep our kids safe, but its something completely different when those laws fuel an unfounded paranoia. I fear it is becoming one of those situations where we are doing more harm than good, but few realize it. I'd love to hear others thoughts on this.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
It does exist and the fear of being accused of it cause behavior changes.

desflood
03-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think it's an "unfounded" paranoia. Being accused of being a sexual predator can ruin your life.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think it's an "unfounded" paranoia. Being accused of being a sexual predator can ruin your life.

+1 I had a neighbor ask me if I would watch her daughter after school but since I was going to be home alone and my youngest wasn't going to be there I said no.

DarkReign
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Absolutely this has changed my perspective. I have two young nieces whose parents are in a custody battle.

I havent watched them in a looong time, nor do I intend to. The mere accusation is enough to ruin your life forever. So, the risk (character assassination) far, FAR outweighs the reward (hanging out with my nieces).

Its pathetic, but thats our country in a nutshell. Thank you Nancy Grace, et all.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely this has changed my perspective. I have two young nieces whose parents are in a custody battle.

I havent watched them in a looong time, nor do I intend to. The mere accusation is enough to ruin your life forever. So, the risk (character assassination) far, FAR outweighs the reward (hanging out with my nieces).

Its pathetic, but thats our country in a nutshell. Thank you Nancy Grace, et all.

I'll still watch for family members but I understand where you are coming from.

peewee's lovechild
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
+1 I had a neighbor ask me if I would watch her daughter after school but since I was going to be home alone and my youngest wasn't going to be there I said no.

Smart move.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Yeah, it's the fault of people who want to stop predators, not those who keep letting them out to reoffend. Thanks John Walsh, ya prick.

DarkReign
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah, it's the fault of people who want to stop predators, not those who keep letting them out to reoffend. Thanks John Walsh, ya prick.

You know what I mean. Stranger Danger is blown waaaaaaaaaay out of proportion thanks to cable news.

ploto
03-20-2009, 09:03 AM
It is obviously worse for men, and that is sad because kids need warm, caring men in their lives, but they are afraid to be so for fear of accusation.

I Love Me Some Me
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
You know what I mean. Stranger Danger is blown waaaaaaaaaay out of proportion thanks to cable news.

But all it takes is being wrong just once. Isn't this one of those where you err on the side of caution?

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
When it comes to my girls there is no such thing as being overly cautious. Does that make me an over protective, paranoid parent? Yes it does but I'll do what ever it takes and while I know I can't possibly prevent every situation from becoming a danger I sure as hell am going to try.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
When it comes to my girls there is no such thing as being overly cautious. Does that make me an over protective, paranoid parent? Yes it does but I'll do what ever it takes and while I know I can't possibly prevent every situation from becoming a danger I sure as hell am going to try.

no, but if you're anything like this bitch...

Gary Crutchley thought taking his kids to a local park would be a great opportunity to get some memorable pictures of his kids playing, but innocent snap shots of his two kids led to him being accused of perversion.

After taking the the picture to the left of his kids on a blow up slide, the woman running the slide demanded he stop taking pictures. When asked why, the woman said he could not take pictures of other peoples children.

Mr Crutchley calmly explained he was only interested in pictures of his own children, even going as far as to show the pictures he had taken to the woman to prove the point.

Unsatisfied, the woman running the slide claimed he could be taking pictures of any child, and even went so far as to accuse Mr. Crutchly of being a pervert, and intending to publish images of other children on the internet

then I'd say you're taking it too fucking far

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
no, but if you're anything like this bitch...

then I'd say you're taking it too fucking far

I've actually thought about that myself when I've taken pics of my kids. I knows it sound crazy but that's the way it is these days.