PDA

View Full Version : Garcia: Duncan's Gimpy Knee A Real Cause For Concern In San Antonio

duncan228
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Duncan's gimpy knee a real cause for concern in San Antonio (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/03/19/western.insider.20090319/)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan hasn't been Tim Duncan lately, and that's reason for pause in San Antonio. Alarm bells weren't exactly ringing when Mr. Consistency was given a night off Tuesday, but there is concern about Duncan's health and how it's impacted his play.

"It's gone through my head." Spurs coach Gregg Popovich admitted.

The two-time MVP wasn't his usual productive self before sitting against Minnesota. Duncan missed the last three games of February dealing with a tendinitis-type issue in his right quadriceps, which has caused weakness around the knee. His numbers after returning have been rather pedestrian by Duncan's lofty and efficient standards.

In the nine games before Tuesday's scratch, the All-Star power forward averaged 15.1 points and 10.4 rebounds and shot an uncharacteristic 43 percent. Before going down, Duncan was averaging 20 and 11, and shooting better than 50 percent.

Duncan, whose drop-off has come with Manu Ginobili on the sidelines, has acknowledged that the injury is something that he'll have to deal with for the rest of the season. He appears to have lost some quickness around the basket.

"From time to time Timmy's knees will bother him and it'll affect his play to some degree," Popovich said, "but for the most part he's had to deal with that more than people would know. He's done a great job of always being there for us. I'm just forcing him to sit."

Popovich wants to limit Duncan's minutes whenever possible, and sitting him on Tuesday, the second game in a back-to-back, seemed a perfect opportunity. The Spurs also have a two-day break before defending champ Boston visits San Antonio on Friday, giving Duncan a little more time off.

"He doesn't love it," Popovich said, "but I just think it's important for him to be fresh and healthy at the end of the season. And I think one way to do it is try to limit the number of back-to-backs you play in down the stretch."

The Spurs have three back-to-backs left. Popovich made a point to say that Duncan wouldn't necessarily rest in those situations. It appears to be more of a play-it-by-knee strategy.

While it could be argued that resting Duncan shouldn't have mattered with the lowly Timberwolves in town on Tuesday, the Spurs weren't in position to take a victory for granted. San Antonio fell the previous night at Oklahoma City -- with Duncan playing.

Popovich isn't concerned about his team finishing second in the Western Conference, even if it means avoiding the top-seeded Lakers in the second round. Whether the Spurs are second or third or fourth, they're not going to beat L.A. without all of their horses running at full speed.

"We've always felt the important things toward playoff time are freshness and health," Popovich said. "Hopefully, we'll be in that situation. Teams don't win championships when their best players are out."

That would be reason to panic.

Beating the masters

Though no franchise will admit to copying another, it's obvious that the Spurs have provided a blueprint for the Thunder in many ways. Oklahoma City's majority owner Clay Bennett was a former investor in the Spurs. General manager Sam Presti was a former front office executive. And former coach P.J. Carlesimo was an assistant under Gregg Popovich.

Coming into their game earlier this week, the Thunder didn't have any illusions of being able to beat their big brother. So the upset was especially sweet, providing another sign that Kevin Durant and Co. are headed in the right direction.

"We beat one of the best teams in basketball," interim coach Scott Brooks said. "They were shorthanded, but that's a team that plays great basketball."

The Thunder hope to be doing the same someday soon.

By the numbers

13 -- Tony Parker has led or tied for the team lead in scoring in 13 consecutive games. The last time he didn't was a Feb. 21 blowout win at Washington.

Spursmania
03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Duncan228's quote of Tim Duncan, "The time when there is no one there to feel sorry for you or to cheer for you is when a player is made."

I just hope Tim's health allows him to fulfill the quote's mantra.

We can only speculate how much pain he is in. But we know Tim is a warrior. For those on ST who say he has no heart and he's playing for shit, I question if you have ever played professional sports before and/or been an elite athlete. Someone of Tim's caliber and talent does not go down easy or without a fight, but sometimes your body doesn't allow you to do what you're capable of.

Side note: I damn tendonosis to hell! Banish you bastard!:ihit

xtremesteven33
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Side note: I damn tendonosis to hell! Banish you bastard!:ihit

:lol

41times
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Pop better watch this one very close. I think the Spurs can get the 2 spot w/o Duncan playing very much. I would rest this guy every game i could. If he is not at least 90% in the playoffs then the season will have been a waste. You gotta have Duncan to have a chance to win another title.
Rest his ass!

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Pop better watch this one very close. I think the Spurs can get the 2 spot w/o Duncan playing very much. I would rest this guy every game i could. If he is not at least 90% in the playoffs then the season will have been a waste. You gotta have Duncan to have a chance to win another title.
Rest his ass!

i agree completely. people keep saying "no amount of rest will fix it so why bother" but this is a matter of degree. sure, sitting him for the rest of the season won't fix it, but avoiding back to backs will help keep it from getting worse and keep the rest of timmy's body fresh. 82 games is a long time, and Timmy's played late into the playoffs every season too. The more rest you can get him the better.

Fabbs
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/lead172.jpg
Garrett W. Ellwood

Duncan's gimpy knee a real cause for concern in San Antonio (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/03/19/western.insider.20090319/)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan hasn't been Tim Duncan lately, and that's reason for pause in San Antonio.
In the nine games before Tuesday's scratch, the All-Star power forward averaged 15.1 points and 10.4 rebounds and shot an uncharacteristic 43 percent. Before going down, Duncan was averaging 20 and 11, and shooting better than 50 percent......

....He appears to have lost some quickness around the basket.

Thank's for the article including the stats. A cause for concern indeed.

41times
Hey Pop better watch this one very close. I think the Spurs can get the 2 spot w/o Duncan playing very much. I would rest this guy every game i could. If he is not at least 90% in the playoffs then the season will have been a waste. You gotta have Duncan to have a chance to win another title. Rest his ass!
What on Earth makes you think the Spurs can get the #2 spot with Dunkan out? Houston, everyone else right on our ass for #2.

Texas_Ranger
03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
I believe in Tim Duncan! He will be ready!

polandprzem
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
If Tims knees won't be better then they are now. In the playoffs he will be eaten alive down low.

Thomas82
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I believe in Tim Duncan! He will be ready!

He'll be Tim Duncan when he needs to be.

urunobili
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
TD will take us home all the way!

MikeLavender
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Let's see if it is possible to get he potentially FANTASTIC Drew Gooden some solid playing time. I really hope they utilize him waaaaay more soon and not wait until he fully learns the "system".

We need an imposing player down low when Tim is out or on the bench. M-M-M-M-Matt Bonner is not the answer and neither is Thomas. Post him up!

RandomGuy
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Duncan's gimpy knee a real cause for concern in San Antonio[/URL][/B]
By Art Garcia, NBA.comn.

http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/obvious.jpg

I wish I could get paid for writing gems like that.

I can see it now, as part of a series:

"Water is wet." by Random Guy

"Fire is hot." by Random Guy

"Duncan's Health worries San Antonio's coaches" by Random Guy

Josepatches_
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
41times

What on Earth makes you think the Spurs can get the #2 spot with Dunkan out? Houston, everyone else right on our ass for #2.

But who cares?
I would give rest to TD even if we finish 8th.We have chance if TD can be better.We don't have any chance without TD even if we are the 1st seed.

dbestpro
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
"We beat one of the best teams in basketball," interim coach Scott Brooks said. "They were shorthanded, but that's a team that plays great basketball."

The Thunder hope to be doing the same someday soon.

Don't get too happy. Durant will bolt the Thunder when his contract expires and head back home to Texas and on to SA right in his prime. (around 2013).