PDA

View Full Version : Congress absolutely amazes me.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Congress just went nuclear when they needed a swat team...they declared war on ALL executives of ALL companies that got any tarp money to cover up that Pelosi and Reid conspired with Obamas Treasury to MAKE SURE the AIG bad boys got their bonuses...

Absolutely unbelievable. They made NO differentiation between executives that had NOTHING to do with the derivatives mess and the "bad" executives...

They are basically going to confiscate anything over $250,000 that ANYONE at these companies makes.

There is going to be a massive brain drain from these companies (That we the taxpayers own part of) to their competitors.

Unfuckingbelievably stupid.

House passes bill taxing AIG and other bonuses
House passes bill taxing employee bonuses at AIG, other companies with big bailouts

* Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer
* Thursday March 19, 2009, 3:19 pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Democratic-led House overwhelmingly approved a bill on Thursday to slap punishing taxes on big employee bonuses from AIG and other firms bailed out by taxpayers.

The vote was 328-93.

"We want our money back and we want our money back now for the taxpayers," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

The bonuses, totaling $165 million, were paid to employees of troubled insurer American International Group, including to traders in the unit that nearly brought about the company's collapse.

In all, 243 Democrats and 85 Republicans voted "yes" on the bill. It was opposed by six Democrats and 87 Republicans.

The margin of victory came despite sharp Republican attacks calling the legislation a legally questionable ploy to paper over Obama administration missteps.

Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said the bill was "a political circus" diverting attention from why the administration hadn't done more to block the bonuses before they were paid.

However, although a number of Republicans cast "no" votes against the measure at first, there was a heavy GOP migration to the "yes" side in the closing moments.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Isn't there a political forum?

Just kidding.

Bigzax
03-19-2009, 03:23 PM
what happened to his scalpel?

peewee's lovechild
Can we just start an "Official I Hate Barak Obama Thread" so Cowboy can have his fill?

Sec24Row7
It's unconstitutional anyway... Don't worry about it...

Viva Las Espuelas
03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
can we just give our opinions.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
CC is on an anti-Obama roll. Not there is anything wrong with that.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
i guess we should just take what we're given without any question............i'm sorry. i mean, come on. we gave mccain hell 'cause he was old. the constitution is older. let's just take a scalpel to that.

JoeChalupa
03-19-2009, 03:29 PM
If you questioned Bush you were Anti-American and supported the enemy.

AlamoSpursFan
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Cap and trade is Obama's 900 pound gorilla that's sneaking up on us from behind to fuck us all in the collective ass while we're all distracted by this bonus/clawback hogwash.

Phil E.Buster
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Nothing congress does amazes me.

Drachen
03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
what happened to his scalpel?

They cant pass a law that is specifically focused on a person or select group of people (unconstitutional), which is why it has been worded (at least according to reports) to deal with all executives that that have rec bonuses if they work for a company that rec funds

Spurminator
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
nm

Dr. Gonzo
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
When do we get our stimulus checks?

AlamoSpursFan
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM

What? You're not getting your 13 bucks every 2 weeks yet?

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
ask china.

Dr. Gonzo
03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
What? You're not getting your 13 bucks every 2 weeks yet?

:lol

I don't know. I don't get paid every two weeks. I get paid monthly and don't even look at my check stub.

03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s343/alexdroog/pelosiImage7.jpg

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

Richard Cranium
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know. I don't get paid every two weeks. I get paid monthly and don't even look at my check stub.

Yup, you are ready for marriage.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s343/alexdroog/pelosiImage7.jpg

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.
to "parrot" chris rock
i would never ever hit a woman, but............................

well not really hit. just a nice slap on the mouth.

CosmicCowboy
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Can we just start an "Official I Hate Barak Obama Thread" so Cowboy can have his fill?

I don't like the 86 Republicans that voted for this lunacy either.

You don't "buy" AIG for 170 billion of taxpayer money and then run off all the top managers and put compensation limits in place that guarantee you can't replace them.

Understand....AIG is a composite of MANY conservative and well run "brand name" insurance companies. Their managers are competent, conservative, and well compensated as is appropriate for running multi-billion dollar companies.

The losses at AIG were basically from one small renegade division. Not only are they painting the "good" executives at AIG with the same brush, but they are lumping in EVERY bank that took Tarp funds...Remember, it wasn't just "sick" banks that took tarp funds...the treasury was out there twisting arms and almost demanding that banks take the money so they could claim to be "stimulating" the credit markets...good employees simply won't stay at these companies if they can't get paid...

Winehole23
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
VLE pulls the punch, then extends his open hand.

03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
VLE pulls the punch, then extends his open hand.

He's a gentleman like that...

clambake
03-19-2009, 04:21 PM
There is going to be a massive brain drain from these companies (That we the taxpayers own part of) to their competitors.

Unfuckingbelievably stupid.

you do realize that many of these people had already left the company some time ago, don't you?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
They cant pass a law that is specifically focused on a person or select group of people (unconstitutional), which is why it has been worded (at least according to reports) to deal with all executives that that have rec bonuses if they work for a company that rec funds

And let's not forget that they forced many banks that didn't even ask for a bailout to take funds from the first TARP bill.

So they're going to have their hands in the pockets of a lot more than just the big boys. Methinks that initial forcing of funds on several banks was planned, given this new law.

Dirty.

Winehole23
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
And let's not forget that they forced many banks that didn't even ask for a bailout to take funds from the first TARP bill.So say the bankers, coyly feigning to return the money, but this is substantially correct.

So they're going to have their hands in the pockets of a lot more than just the big boys. Methinks that initial forcing of funds on several banks was planned, given this new law.

Dirty.Better that than something haphazard -- yet again -- wouldn't you say? Even a *dirty* plan would be better than nothing at all.

Winehole23
03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Good banks were *tricked* into taking free money from the government. Is that about the size of it AHF?

MannyIsGod
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
:lmao

Clandestino
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
JPMorgan Chase was forced to take the funds they didn't need.

Winehole23
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
JPMorgan Chase was forced to take the funds they didn't need.I don't dispute it, but I can't make your point for you. What was it?

Winehole23
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
That government valkyries choose winners and losers should be a generally accepted fact by now. The Economic Stabilization Act (http://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/eesa/)and the TARP (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h1424enr.txt.pdf) made it so.