PDA

View Full Version : Insider Report: Drew Gooden

Technique
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
He basically says that he's in it for the long term. Thinking about the future with SA past this years finals. It's definitely reassuring because as we know he hasn't gotten a lot of minutes as of late but hopefully he'll be here long enough to make a true impact. I still think he'll find his niche before the play offs.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2009/03/17/nba_20090317_gooden_intw.nba/

PM5K
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
He's gotten plenty of minutes for a guy who just returned from an injury, and is most likely not in 100% playing shape, except for the last game which was purely because of matchups...

Big P
03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
He is going to have to meet the Spurs half way as far as salary goes, if he really wants to

be here long term. For the right price, I hope he is too.

EricB
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Stephen Jackson was in it for the long term as well.

MaNu4Tres
03-19-2009, 07:17 PM

They offered stephen jackson a similiar deal they gave jaren jackson after 99. Three years worth 9 million. Jackson wanted around the 5 million per year range. Spurs then turned their attention to the deal that brought them Hedo Turkoglu.

exstatic
03-19-2009, 07:24 PM
He is going to have to meet the Spurs half way as far as salary goes, if he really wants to

be here long term. For the right price, I hope he is too.
The Spurs would only have the Mid Level next summer. He may Maggette on us.

sprrs
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM

And I'd rather have Rasheed if he can be gotten with the MLE.

Big P
03-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Thats a given. Someone is going to give him more money than the Spurs

will offer

EricB
03-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Rasheed's game has fallen off a bit however.

Bender
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
And I'd rather have Rasheed if he can be gotten with the MLE.I started following the NBA around 6 years ago. I seem to remember reading back then that Rasheed was the highest paid player in the NBA... Or is my memory wacko?

Drachen
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
that would have been KG

mazerrackham
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I think it's crazy that so many spurs fans keep saying they want Rasheed Wallace next year, the guy's a punk with not a good enough work ethic and his game is declining anyway. Part of what makes the spurs so great in my personal opinion is that they don't pick up players that aren't willing to sacrifice individual glory to work hard for the team. I'd put my money that Rasheed would want to be a bigger part of the team than he's worth.

exstatic
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
And I'd rather have Rasheed if he can be gotten with the MLE.

I have a slight problem with the 7 year age difference. I could get over it, though.

exstatic
03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I think it's crazy that so many spurs fans keep saying they want Rasheed Wallace next year, the guy's a punk with not a good enough work ethic and his game is declining anyway. Part of what makes the spurs so great in my personal opinion is that they don't pick up players that aren't willing to sacrifice individual glory to work hard for the team. I'd put my money that Rasheed would want to be a bigger part of the team than he's worth.

If he can thrive under Larry Brown, he can certainly play for Pop.

Bender
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
seems Rasheed back then was the 4th highest paid player... 12/15/03 article:

Wallace, 29 years of age in his ninth season in the NBA, is the fourth highest paid player in the league. He is also the main target of the Portland fans' ire on a team that hasn't won an NBA championship since 1977. Some fans, tired of his inconsistent play and propensity for garnering technical fouls (he holds the NBA single-season record of 41) have vowed to give up their season if Wallace is not traded. http://www.americandaily.com/article/3659

Russ
03-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Let's hope Gooden has the same championship pedigree to shop around this summer. (If that happens, I'll take whatever comes.) :)

EricB
03-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Let's hope Gooden has the same championship pedigree to shop around this summer. (If that happens, I'll take whatever comes.) :)

Ditto that.

benefactor
03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
It's hard to say what Gooden will do. One thing is for certain...he will be expected to take a pay cut if he stays. No way in hell is our FO giving Gooden 7 million a year. I would like to keep him, but if he goes then so be it.

I agree with others that have said we should go after Rasheed with the MLE if this happens...and the chances are good that he will take it.

angelbelow
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Rasheed's game has fallen off a bit however.

agreed, and he might fall off more next year since he'll be a year older. the ideal situation would be signing him to the LLE. Rasheed is likely still a solid, or at least smart, defender and will probably still have his stroke.

Ice009
03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
They offered stephen jackson a similiar deal they gave jaren jackson after 99. Three years worth 9 million. Jackson wanted around the 5 million per year range. Spurs then turned their attention to the deal that brought them Hedo Turkoglu.

Well the Spurs gambled and lost on this one. I think that was a very reasonable deal what Jackson wanted.

I understand the Spurs didn't want another Jaren Jackson on their hands, but I think S Jax was worth what he was asking for.

Ice009
03-19-2009, 09:36 PM
If Gooden accepts a lower level salary say in the 5 million range and he asks for a no trade clause would you meet that if you were the Spurs?

I think that would be reasonable trade off for Drew to accept less money.

exstatic
03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
If Gooden accepts a lower level salary say in the 5 million range and he asks for a no trade clause would you meet that if you were the Spurs?

I think that would be reasonable trade off for Drew to accept less money.

The only player in the NBA with a no trade clause is Kobe, and he had it under the old CBA. You can't actually put in a no trade clause anymore, but you can add a trade kicker that would seriously fuck up a lot of deals. If you are traded, you can get a 10% salary bump if you choose. That may make the salaries no longer match, and hose the deal. Players would have to change or a third team would have to become involved.

Ice009
03-19-2009, 10:15 PM
The only player in the NBA with a no trade clause is Kobe, and he had it under the old CBA. You can't actually put in a no trade clause anymore, but you can add a trade kicker that would seriously fuck up a lot of deals. If you are traded, you can get a 10% salary bump if you choose. That may make the salaries no longer match, and hose the deal. Players would have to change or a third team would have to become involved.

That's what I meant because Drew has probably had enough of being traded so I think if you were to include something like that he might be willing to take less.

Thanks for explaining it to me though as I didn't know all that stuff.

That is if he is serious about what he is saying about finding a team to stay with long term.

VI_Massive
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I think, with this economy and the possibility of CBA problems in the next few years, that Gooden will go where he can get the most money. Can't really blame him and I don't think that place will be SA.

exstatic
03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I think, with this economy and the possibility of CBA problems in the next few years, that Gooden will go where he can get the most money. Can't really blame him and I don't think that place will be SA.

The one saving grace is that not many teams have cap room in 2009, and I'm not sure that Drew is the player that they would target. He'll likely get competing Mid Level offers, and we might have an edge if he buys into the system.

If someone were to offer him more than the ML, though, I think he'd go.

SenorSpur
03-19-2009, 11:45 PM
It's hard to say what Gooden will do. One thing is for certain...he will be expected to take a pay cut if he stays. No way in hell is our FO giving Gooden 7 million a year. I would like to keep him, but if he goes then so be it.
I agree with others that have said we should go after Rasheed with the MLE if this happens...and the chances are good that he will take it.

It's that type of callous way of thinking that has the Spurs frontline shorthanded in the first place. Do you want a 34 year-old 3-pt shooter or do you want a 28 year-old, low post threat?

I just can't sign off on that way of thinking. Gooden has fallen into the Spurs lap. He is CLEARLY the most talented frontcourt player that we've had in here since D-Rob left the building. A bonafide low-post player who can SCORE and REBOUND. Regardless of what he does this year, if he is indeed at all serious about staying, the Spurs would be BIG FOOLS to let him walk. After all, he aint Carlos Boozer, in terms of his reputation for going back on his word.

Need more reasons? Look at what is in the frontcourt hopper now. KT is old. Oberto plays older. Ian is unproven. Bonner is a defensive spaz. And of course, Duncan is 32, has played a tremendous amount of minutes, has knee problems and desparately needs his nightly responsibilities offloaded in a big way. Who on the roster is prepared to do that? No one.

Provided Gooden is sincere, the Spurs had better find a way to ink this guy for the long term.

EricB
03-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah seeing as they couldn't afford to sign him for more than 7 million I doubt thats happening....

Ice009
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
It's that type of callous way of thinking that has the Spurs frontline shorthanded in the first place. Do you want a 34 year-old 3-pt shooter or do you want a 28 year-old, low post threat?

I just can't sign off on that way of thinking. Gooden has fallen into the Spurs lap. He is CLEARLY the most talented frontcourt player that we've had in here since D-Rob left the building. A bonafide low-post player who can SCORE and REBOUND. Regardless of what he does this year, if he is indeed at all serious about staying, the Spurs would be BIG FOOLS to let him walk. After all, he aint Carlos Boozer, in terms of his reputation for going back on his word.

Need more reasons? Look at what is in the frontcourt hopper now. KT is old. Oberto plays older. Ian is unproven. Bonner is a defensive spaz. And of course, Duncan is 32, has played a tremendous amount of minutes, has knee problems and desparately needs his nightly responsibilities offloaded in a big way. Who on the roster is prepared to do that? No one.

Provided Gooden is sincere, the Spurs had better find a way to ink this guy for the long term.

Good post. I agree. Unless the Spurs can sign someone better then Gooden is worth resigning.

SenorSpur
03-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey, I like Rasheed too. Had Gooden not come along, I'd be all in. However, now that he has, and unless the Spurs can find cap room for both, they'll likely have to choose between the two. That said, I go with Gooden.

Austin_Toros
03-20-2009, 12:17 AM
When you take Duncan's knees and need for rest in the future then Gooden (for the long term) becomes all more important.
As long as we keep him for the future at a reasonable price- the price we have him for this season is more than a bargain!

VI_Massive
03-20-2009, 12:21 AM
if he can hack it defensively -- and we should be able to coach him up -- then i'm all for re-signing Gooden. He's in that perfect age range -- still athletic and healthy (mostly) but experienced enough to know what he's doing and also hungry for a ring.

aka_USAPA
03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
He could easily get us 12 and 10 every game and can chase guys away from the bucket. Sheed is done,

When was the last time Gooden was "easily" a 12/10 guy? :rolleyes:rolleyes

aka_USAPA
03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
When you take Duncan's knees and need for rest in the future then Gooden (for the long term) becomes all more important.
As long as we keep him for the future at a reasonable price- the price we have him for this season is more than a bargain!

Why are the Spurs so worried about money?

Manufan909
03-20-2009, 03:59 AM
Good lord are we starting an old folks home? Sheed will be 34 to go with 33 TD 32Manu 37KT 29 Mase 34 Oberto ........ect........Gooden would be 28 with alot left in the tank, and if he could be signed for MLE he would be a great pick up. A guy who whould give the Spurs 3 good bigs which would alow us to always have 2 scoring bigs on the floor.

He could easily get us 12 and 10 every game and can chase guys away from the bucket. Sheed is done,

Calm down motherfucker, it's not that big a deal. One, Fab will most likely be gone. Also, Mason is not a player who depends on speed or athleticism, so his game will be constant farther than a Kobe, Wade, or Manu. And KT will get solid minutes, so whenever he's on the floor having 2 scoring bigs is an impossibility. Any of combo of Tim, Bonner, and Gooden would work. But then again, I think Bonner is only a scoring big with Tim on, so he can get ridiculously open looks.

I can't see why RASHEED WALLACE for the MLE looks like a horrible decision to you. He might be 34, but he is still damn good. And since he's a big, he won't deteriorate as fast as a guard. I would like both, a big rotation of Tim/Gooden/Sheed/Bonner/Ian/KT would rock.

But with Pops love of small ball, I don't think it would be possible. It seems to be too many anyways, so I'd trade Bonner, because a motivated Sheed would provide all he does and more. But if all that happens and Sheed still loses his temper and gets T at his usual rate, I wll feel like a douche.:lol

Oh yeah, put down the crack pipe, Goodens avg is like 13 and 8 over his career, I doubt he'll score a point less and get 2 more boards than usual playing behind Timmy. But if he can even avg 7 and 7 in the POs, I'll be happy. And have a rudimentary understanding of the D and O schemes, as well as put that knowledge to good use.

Manufan909
03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Why are the Spurs so worried about money?

San Antonio= small market
Los Angeles= huge market

I was going to be sarcastic, but idk if you're more of an Allonon or a lakaluva, yet. I'm hoping for the former.

Thomas82
03-20-2009, 04:11 AM
If we win it all, that might help seal the deal for him staying.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-20-2009, 04:19 AM
If it's between Gooden and Sheed, we'd get the one who'd agree to get the MLE. That is if we decide to use the MLE at all this summer.

We still don't know how Gooden will fit in, so it's pointless to discuss whether he deserves $7 mil a year or less. For all we know he might suck and get some 10 mins max. If he plays so well that he'd deserve a hefty contract then chances are some team will offer him more than we could afford to anyway.

Manufan909
03-20-2009, 04:23 AM
If it's between Gooden and Sheed, we'd get the one who'd agree to get the MLE. That is if we decide to use the MLE at all this summer.

We still don't know how Gooden will fit in, so it's pointless to discuss whether he deserves $7 mil a year or less. For all we know he might suck and get some 10 mins max. If he plays so well that he'd deserve a hefty contract then chances are some team will offer him more than we could afford to anyway.

Hope getting a ring is more important. As well as backing up the best PF ever to lace them up.
:flag:

benefactor
03-20-2009, 05:23 AM

I feel ya man. The thought of actually having a real scoring/rebounding presence in the post besides Duncan for the first time in forever is very exciting. But from what we know about Gooden right now I don't think he is worth more than 7 million a year. What holds me back are the questions about him defensively. If he shows he can learn the rotations and at least be serviceable on that end then I might have a little more urgency in wanting to keep him...but right now he is only worth MLEish money.

Thomas82
03-20-2009, 05:29 AM
i feel ya man. The thought of actually having a real scoring/rebounding presence in the post besides duncan for the first time in forever is very exciting. But from what we know about gooden right now i don't think he is worth more than 7 million a year. What holds me back are the questions about him defensively. If he shows he can learn the rotations and at least be serviceable on that end then i might have a little more urgency in wanting to keep him...but right now he is only worth mleish money.

+1

Toni61
03-20-2009, 05:51 AM
I hope Drew will stay and we odd a solid player, too.

Thomas82
03-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I hope Drew will stay and we odd a solid player, too.

I definately wouldn't mind keeping him and getting Sheed if we can pull it off.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
I definately wouldn't mind keeping him and getting Sheed if we can pull it off.

If you can convince them to split the MLE somehow. We don't have bird rights on Gooden.

And of course using the MLE this summer would mean there's no 2010 plan other than resigning Mason and extending Manu's contract.

SenorSpur
03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I feel ya man. The thought of actually having a real scoring/rebounding presence in the post besides Duncan for the first time in forever is very exciting. But from what we know about Gooden right now I don't think he is worth more than 7 million a year. What holds me back are the questions about him defensively. If he shows he can learn the rotations and at least be serviceable on that end then I might have a little more urgency in wanting to keep him...but right now he is only worth MLEish money.

I feel you too, dude. Of course, we all know that it takes most players well into their 2nd season before they are comfortable with and actually learn the Spurs system. Having said that, it's very possible we may not see the best of Gooden this year. If the Spurs CAN negotiate him for about 7m, yeah it's worth it.

Let's not forget this franchise DID invest at least 7mil in both Rasho and Malik Rose. :p:

Bender
03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
which spurs players contracts are dropping off after THIS season ?

I Love Me Some Me
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM

I don't think you can use the MLE to re-sign your own players.

dbestpro
03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
He can take a smaller contract for 2009 that has a greater payout in 2010 or 2011.

lefty
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM

:lol at your sig

Is that the post-game 6 of the 2003 Spurs-Lakers series?

Fuck their " asterisk " :lmao

TheDarkSide.
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I understand why S Jax left cause i mean he had a breakout year winning the championship in 03 and wanted a payday. Didn't Gooden take less money to come here? Dude is sincere in wanting to settle down somewhere IMO.

VI_Massive
03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I understand why S Jax left cause i mean he had a breakout year winning the championship in 03 and wanted a payday. Didn't Gooden take less money to come here? Dude is sincere in wanting to settle down somewhere IMO.

There wasn't much difference in money, but career-wise, playing on a team that will go deep into the playoffs (fingers crossed) is great exposure for a soon-to-be free agent. Its win-win for him. If he plays well and SA likes him and he wants to stay, that could happen. If he doesn't want to stay or wants more money, his (theoretical) strong play in the playoffs will bump his price.