PDA

View Full Version : Can Cleveland really win it all?

DrHouse
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I must be a hater because I'm still not convinced their style of play is capable of winning an NBA championship.

You have a legitimate #1 option in Lebron James and then everyone else on the team is a spot up shooter. I just can't see the Cavs getting past a quality defensive ballclub that can force Lebron to the perimeter (i.e. Boston). The balance just isn't quite there yet, they are in dire need of a legitimate post option that can manufacture points in the paint. And no Big Z is not that kind of player at his age. He takes more jumpers than any other 7ft bigman not named Okur.

Thunder Dan
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
why are Laker fans so obsessed with Cleveland? DrHouse makes atleast one thread a week talking about why he doesn't think the Cavs will win

lefty
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Cavs will lose to the Spurs in 6

BlackSwordsMan
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
if they beat the spurs in the superbowl

lurker
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I expect Cleveland to win the East. As far as winning the title, it depends on who their opponent is. I don't think they could beat a healthy Spurs team in a series.

DrHouse
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
why are Laker fans so obsessed with Cleveland? DrHouse makes atleast one thread a week talking about why he doesn't think the Cavs will win

I've never made a thread about Cleveland's chances of winning a championship until today.

03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
i can see the cavs making it out of the east if boston continues to have injury issues. but i don't see them beating either the lakers or spurs in the finals. despite the addition of williams, james still does not have enough help. williams only got the all star nod this year because two other originally selected all stars got injured. lebron needs a proven all star as a wingman before the cavs are good enough to beat the lakers, spurs, or celtics.

SpursDynasty
03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I think if Roger Mason got the ball as much as LeBron, he'd be able to score as much, rebound as much, and get as many assists. LeBron just happens to get the ball a lot.

Mason > LeBron

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I think if Roger Mason got the ball as much as LeBron, he'd be able to score as much, rebound as much, and get as many assists. LeBron just happens to get the ball a lot.

Mason > LeBron

get fucked.

DrJ420
03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
SpursDynasty thats retarded. the reason lebron gets the ball so much is because he's great. whats sad is that wasnt even your dumbest post

DrJ420
03-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Mason > LeBron

Ive figured you out. you're like john hollinger. everybody hates you and knows your an idiot. but people read your writing anyway just to see what kind of retarded stuff u will say

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
DRJ420 as far as your first two posts go that's about as good as it gets.

Tradition
03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
No they wont win it all. They simply arent good enough. They needed another big man and couldnt get a deal done. Lebron is a great player but if you force him to take jumpers, cavs are fucked. They cant beat LA 4 times in a 7 game series. They would be at a disadvantage matchup wise.

timvp
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Mason > LeBron

SpursDynasty Haters 2, SpursDynasty 1

DrHouse
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I feel bad for the new posters who don't understand SpursDynasty.

SpursDynasty
03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Mason vs. the Lakers - 11/27 FG's
LeBron vs. the Lakers - 14/45 FG's

You give Mason 45 shots vs. the Lakers and he'll hit more shots than LeBron, unless he goes 3-for-18 in those next 18 shots.

DrJ420
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
DRJ420 as far as your first two posts go that's about as good as it gets.

thank you.

Far as Cleveland winning it all, i dont think they can do it. The Lakers are capable, as are the Spurs, and the Celtics

DrJ420
03-19-2009, 09:34 PM

You give Mason 45 shots vs. the Lakers and he'll hit more shots than LeBron, unless he goes 3-for-18 in those next 18 shots.

Two games against one team doesnt show one player is better than the other, Mason is good, but nowhere close to the elite level that lebron is at.

Allanon
03-19-2009, 09:37 PM

This sounds stupid... but it's true.

Lakers have problems defending perimeter shooters but not much of a problem with slashing type players.

Lakers best defensive position is at the Small Forward/Power forward position and that negates the impact of guys like LeBron. And with Ariza/Odom/Kobe, the Lakers are one of the few teams that can defend LeBron one on one the entire game so he doesn't get much assists. Add two 7-footers waiting in the paint and LeBron is pretty much a jump-shooter...the weakest part of his game.

Roger Mason is more of a problem for the Lakers than LeBron is.

It's all about the matchups.

sook
03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Dr House makes good threads when given the chance. and to answer his question, i say NO.

They're record vs good teams is deplorable, im still rooting for them tonight though

Brazil
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't think so may be next year

Ghazi
03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes they can.

A 31-1 team @ home likely to have HCA throughout playoffs. Top 2 in D top 5 in O and with the best player in basketball.

People are looking at the non-Lebron names on the roster and disregarding the body of work.

Spursmania
03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Nope. Not this year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
with the best player in basketball.

When did they pick up Dwayne Wade?

sook
03-19-2009, 10:15 PM

exactly what i was thinking

stretch
03-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Mason > LeBron

this might be jeffs best post ever

Ghazi
03-19-2009, 11:00 PM

D-Whistle <<< Lebron

Lebron will win 3-4 rings in his career. D-Whistle has 0 rings.

sook
03-19-2009, 11:03 PM
lol Dwayne wade got has already achieved the highest award possible in the the game 2-3 years back ...a finals MVP

Ghazi
03-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Undeserved and everyone knows it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Undeserved and everyone knows it.

I don't....it seems like he contributed more to the heat winning that series than any other Heat player.

Ghazi
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
B Salvatore Finals MVP

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
d-whistle <<< lebron

1 > 0

DUNCANownsKOBE2
B Salvatore Finals MVP

I knew that was coming.

stretch
This sounds stupid... but it's true.

Lakers have problems defending perimeter shooters but not much of a problem with slashing type players.

Lakers best defensive position is at the Small Forward/Power forward position and that negates the impact of guys like LeBron. And with Ariza/Odom/Kobe, the Lakers are one of the few teams that can defend LeBron one on one the entire game so he doesn't get much assists. Add two 7-footers waiting in the paint and LeBron is pretty much a jump-shooter...the weakest part of his game.

It's all about the matchups.

What a suprize. Another post of your usual bullshit.

Fact is, the reason they can somewhat contain Lebron is because they send 2, often 3 guys at him every time he attacks. They, along with the rest of the league are scared shitless of the guy. To say that he is being guarded one-on-one is fucking retarded.

On the other hand, most of the league doesn't give a shit about Mason, unless he is shooting a three (which he gets those threes because he plays behind 3 other stars)

To say that Mason is a bigger problem than Lebron is pretty much the stupidest thing I've read here in a while. No surprise that it comes from a stupid fuck like you.

sook
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
B Salvatore Finals MVP

Dwayne Wade's playoff stats that year

28.4/6/6 on .497 shooting :wow:wow:wow

barbacoataco
03-20-2009, 02:15 AM
If Boston gets more or less healthy I think they will win the Eastern Conference. If not I guess Cleveland would be the favorite. Orlando and Dwight Howard don't have the basketball IQ to get to the Finals IMO.

IronMexican
03-20-2009, 02:17 AM
I feel bad for the new posters who don't understand SpursDynasty.

:lol When I first joined, I thought "Who is this Warrior fan riding the Spurs?" Because he was pinked and his favorite team was the Warriors:lol

aka_USAPA
03-20-2009, 02:45 AM

Mason > LeBron

Yeah, right!!! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

KidCongo
03-20-2009, 03:10 AM
what a suprize. Another post of your usual bullshit.

Fact is, the reason they can somewhat contain lebron is because they send 2, often 3 guys at him every time he attacks. They, along with the rest of the league are scared shitless of the guy. To say that he is being guarded one-on-one is fucking retarded.

On the other hand, most of the league doesn't give a shit about mason, unless he is shooting a three (which he gets those threes because he plays behind 3 other stars)

to say that mason is a bigger problem than lebron is pretty much the stupidest thing i've read here in a while. No surprise that it comes from a stupid fuck like you.

+1

21_Blessings
03-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Clog the lane ala SA in 07 and throw a rotation of Ariza, Odom and Kobe at the Lebron. It wouldn't even be an entertaining series. Cleveland doesn't matchup well with the Lakers at all.

Still not convinced they can even beat a healthy Boston in the playoffs.

Rogue
03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
this thread is started by a lakers fan, so there's no wonder he would like the cavs to fall in the east. Provided the lakers happen to beat our boys in blue in WCF and make it to the finals, then the cavs will be the team that they have least confidence to beat, because the lakers don't have a tough defender like bowen to lock up James. Ariza is a good defender but his defense play is simply built on his beefy body instead of defensive skills, so reasonably his defense won't work on James who is even more beefy than him. Kobe is the best defender on the lakers team but Kobe isn't able to match up with Lebron because of the weight gap between these two guys. Odom is also pretty good at defense but he is too slow to catch up Lebron's paces, and the other cavs will let lakers pay more if the lakers double James. James is just the type of SF that the lakers can't cope with, even Paul Pierce made tons of troubles to the lakers in the finals of last season.

Nocioni
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
of course they can win it all defence and homecourt is the key

Indazone
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
The mistake by the lake continues to be the most pathetic city in America. Lets see how many championships they have? lol nuff said. Nothing going to change here. Just Cleveland being Cleveland.

LEONARD
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Mason > LeBron

*bump*

JoeTait75
04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Hey, I was looking for this little pearl of wisdom! Thanks for bumping this thread! :lol

Allanon
04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
What a suprize. Another post of your usual bullshit.

Fact is, the reason they can somewhat contain Lebron is because they send 2, often 3 guys at him every time he attacks. They, along with the rest of the league are scared shitless of the guy. To say that he is being guarded one-on-one is fucking retarded.

On the other hand, most of the league doesn't give a shit about Mason, unless he is shooting a three (which he gets those threes because he plays behind 3 other stars)

To say that Mason is a bigger problem than Lebron is pretty much the stupidest thing I've read here in a while. No surprise that it comes from a stupid fuck like you.

Wow, how did I miss this dumbfuck's post?

It's about matchups, stretch. Watch the games before you spout from your ass. The Lakers play LeBron 1 on 1...they DO NOT double or triple team LeBron as your ignorance suggested. Look up the game on Youtube and open your eyes.

The Lakers have 3 of the best defenders in the NBA who can play Small Forward - Ariza/Kobe/Odom.

The Bigs shade over to him when he gets in the paint but the Lakers never double except on screens, and that's the normal show and go.

The Lakers are perfectly happy letting LeBron shoot jumpshots all day long as long as he's single covered by Ariza/Kobe/Odom. And with Bynum and Pau in the paint, he ain't getting no easy layups.

LeBron was so frustrated he shot eight 3 pointers versus the Lakers, only connecting on 2 of them.

The Lakers are one of the worst 3pt defensive teams. Scrubs like Mason light up the Lakers routinely from the 3pt arc. On the flip side, the Lakers are one of the most dominant painted area teams, which counters LeBron's best asset, his interior play.

The Lakers pack the paint, they don't need any double/triple teams on LeBron you dumbshit.

This is why, LeBron, the Assasssin, is averaging 30% shooting on the Lakers this year. :lmao

Bukefal
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
They probably will. The way they play, the fortune is on their side. Cavs win for sure

Allanon
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey, I was looking for this little pearl of wisdom! Thanks for bumping this thread! :lol

Nothing personal Joe Tait.

I talk shit about a possible Laker opponent, none of it is directed at the fans as most of them are cool.

Feel free to rub a 2009 championship in my face if you get it, but don't take anything I say as an attack.

JoeTait75
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Nothing personal Joe Tait.

I talk shit about a possible Laker opponent, none of it is directed at the fans as most of them are cool.

No offense taken whatsoever, Allanon. Believe me. :toast

Findog
04-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I must be a hater because I'm still not convinced their style of play is capable of winning an NBA championship.

They excel at offense, defense and rebounding. What part of that is inconsistent with winning a championship?

You have a legitimate #1 option in Lebron James

Only a "legitimate" #1 option? He's arguably the best player in the League.

and then everyone else on the team is a spot up shooter.

Ben Wallace? Z? Varejao?

I just can't see the Cavs getting past a quality defensive ballclub that can force Lebron to the perimeter (i.e. Boston).

You're picking Boston to beat Cleveland in the Conference Finals? That's your final answer? I looked at your post count, how are you not the DrHouse troll?

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
The only knock on Cleveland IMO is their inability to manufacture points in the paint

But as we saw with the 2004 Detroit team and the 2006 Dallas team, it isn't ALWAYS necessary, especially when you have a dynamic player such as Lebron.

jacobdrj
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Whatever 'IT' is, the Cavs have 'IT'. They are cohesive. They play defense. They actually LIKE each other. Their coach has so much talent that even he can't mess it up. They have a scoring inside star who gets calls, and a good ratio of vets to youngins. They have a lot of size. They have shooters. The EVEN have experience, in the form of their own finals appearance, and a guy with a ring. Their star is in the referee's Fave 5 (Along with Kobe, Wade, Dirk, and Nash).

Cavs are a shoe-in.

Findog
04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Whatever 'IT' is, the Cavs have 'IT'. They are cohesive. They play defense. They actually LIKE each other. Their coach has so much talent that even he can't mess it up. They have a scoring inside star who gets calls, and a good ratio of vets to youngins. They have a lot of size. They have shooters. The EVEN have experience, in the form of their own finals appearance, and a guy with a ring. Their star is in the referee's Fave 5 (Along with Kobe, Wade, Dirk, and Nash).

Cavs are a shoe-in.

Agreed. I don't know how much stock you can put in regular season results, because they don't always carry over into the playoffs, but the Lakers handled the Cavs twice. I would expect a close series, but the Cavs are definitely right there with LA. I might even make them slight faves with the HCA.

Gino
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
D-Whistle <<< Lebron

Lebron will win 3-4 rings in his career. D-Whistle has 0 rings.

Mavs fans might have deleted it from their memory but Wade was unbelievable in 06.

Gino
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
To answer the thread question:

NO.

I just dont see it.

DrHouse
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I disagree about the Cavs having "IT".

What they have is a youthful and immature exuberance for where they are, but not the stone-cold mindset of a team solely focused on winning a championship. There is a big difference IMHO and it will show when they face a team that is more mentally focused on winning a championship, which may not actually happen until the Finals.

Double-Up
04-29-2009, 07:24 PM
If they have to go through the Lakers they won't....