PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson Video Clips

ambchang
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Just want to post a couple of Robinson clips.
The NBA really hasn't seen a big man with his combination of size, strength and quickness since.

-hhozjmC7gg
ybERbSC292U
kLLKL65rTE4
qtsS2BYmzz4
cI1ewT5RiVQ

Spursmania
03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I just taped the 1999 Spur Championship against the Knicks, and now I'm getting ready to watch the 2003 Championship against the Nets. Robinson definitely was a special player-Wow. The Twin Towers were cool.

senorglory
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Be forewarned, anyone uses the word "soft," is gonna get punched in the nuts.

Slydragon
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I love how he said before the season even started that it was his last and then to go on and win the championship.

Most people say they are done after there final loss or right when they win they start the "I may call it quits while on top" but D Rob said it with out knowing where he would be at the end of the season.

Technique
03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
The NBA really hasn't seen a big man with his combination of size, strength and quickness since.

First person to come to mind was Dwight Howard. Though he isn't on a caliber team like the Spurs.

peskypesky
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
The second dunk in the first video? It looks like the moment when Dave's career-ending back injury happened. Ouch.

CubanSucks
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
First person to come to mind was Dwight Howard. Though he isn't on a caliber team like the Spurs.

Except Howard has NO ball handling skills while there are quite a few highlights of The Admiral going coast to coast. Howard has NO inside moves like The Admiral. All of Howards points are the ugliest points i've ever seen. Howard doesn't have the consistent jump shot like The Admiral. Howard doesn't even have a shot, all his offense is is him jumping up and then going from there. NO moves NO true talent, only athleticism.

mystargtr34
03-20-2009, 01:31 AM

To be honest with you, i dont think Howard is close to the overall athlete D-Rob was. In terms of his vertical jump, sure - hes probly the only guy who outdoes D-Rob for 6'11" and over players. But in terms of running, agility and overall speed and smoothness, Howard doesnt even compare to D-Rob. Dwight is alot more robotic, hes more of a Shaq type athlete, while D-Rob was more of a Hakeem type athlete - probly even more athletic.

50Bestspurever
03-20-2009, 03:43 AM
I know it souds bias and disrespectful to the basketball gods. But I always thought big daves teams would have given jordan's championship teams hell.

Horse
03-20-2009, 05:49 AM
I know it souds bias and disrespectful to the basketball gods. But I always thought big daves teams would have given jordan's championship teams hell.
I agree think of the centers BigDave would've played against he would eat them alive. And those bull teams never faced a great defensive center. Just slow fat guys like oliver miller and kevin duckworth.

ambchang
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Well, Robinson's teams never would have gone to the championships because the teams were just awfully constructed.

A championship needs a couple of components:

Low post scoring - David Robinson

Inside dirty work (defense, rebounding) - Rodman could have done it, Terry Cummings did it.

Outside shooting - This is the one major weakness. Elliott could do it, but his bread and butter is the penetration game. The Spurs had been trying to get a shooter forever, but all they could get were the over-the-hill Dale Ellis and Rifleman. Avery Johnson, while a decent PG otherwise, can't shoot. Rod Strickland was good, but he was nuts.
Perimeter Defense - Just not very good. Johnson was always outmatched due to his size, Vinny Del Negro couldn't even guard me, Willie Anderson can barely move with his messed up legs. Elliott was probably the only guy who was good in perimeter defense (again, Rodman could be, but he chose not to).

Those Spurs teams were majorly flawed in so many ways. But I will always have a soft spot ..... * damn, my nuts * .....

Spurs Brazil
03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Aways great to see Five-Oh

Mijo
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Howard has NO inside moves like The Admiral.Er, David didn't really have any inside moves. He was just a freak and used his athleticism to the extreme. I think it was obvious towards the end of his career when he could no longer offensively do the things he did when he was young. The lack of a go to move other than his jumper was fairly evident.

DunkingDuncan
03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
CKVqpXl3M18

CubanSucks
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Er, David didn't really have any inside moves. He was just a freak and used his athleticism to the extreme. I think it was obvious towards the end of his career when he could no longer offensively do the things he did when he was young. The lack of a go to move other than his jumper was fairly evident.

Er, ever heard of the up and under? That requires a whole lot more than just athleticism and Robinson was the best at it.

Mijo
03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Everyone learns the up and under in junior high. You're saying that was the Admiral's bread and butter?

poop
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
NOTICE in the 1st vid, the inbounds pass lob-dunk took 0.7 seconds off the clock.

yes fisher was able to catch the inbounds pass, turn around and do a jumpshot in 0.4

what a load of crap

Mijo
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love David and I believe he was practically the pioneer of the athletic big man but his lack of a back to the basket game became obvious once his athleticism started to decline.

CubanSucks
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Everyone learns the up and under in junior high. You're saying that was the Admiral's bread and butter?

:lol Yeah and you also learn how to shoot a jump shot in junior high so I guess Kobe Bryant doesn't have a credible offense either? I would love to see anyone just try to use an up and under and get the defender to bite and then finish. If you think it's just a 'junior high' move than you've never played competitive basketball. So yeah it is was his bread and butter and what's wrong with that?

Gervin44Silas13
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM

WE owned the Bulls in the 1st Jordan 3-Peat Era, even when we didn't play our best!!!!!!!

Gervin44Silas13
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Er, David didn't really have any inside moves. He was just a freak and used his athleticism to the extreme. I think it was obvious towards the end of his career when he could no longer offensively do the things he did when he was young. The lack of a go to move other than his jumper was fairly evident.

I Hated Terry Cummings Reverse Lay-up Move!!!!!

Spursfan092120
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
The second dunk in the first video? It looks like the moment when Dave's career-ending back injury happened. Ouch.
naw...his back was hurting long before '93...it just happened over time.

RobSM64
03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
The Admiral is the reason I became a spurs fan

:toast

HarlemHeat37
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Mijo here..

Robinson was a beast in the face-up game..his body and athleticism was unreal..but his post up game and style of play wasn't exactly elite, and it wasn't really suited for the playoffs..while he didn't have the teams to compete for a title in many years, he wasn't exactly known for his playoff performance, and the style of play has something to do with that..

he's probably the most underrated top 20 player of all-time though..he doesn't get enough credit..his D was up there on the elite level of all-time..

crc21209
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
WOW. All great clips. Those were the days, he is sorely missed.

duncan228
03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Robinson was incredible, an elite player and a class act. Watching him retire a Champion was wonderful.

And, he mentored Duncan. I don't think there could have been a better match for Duncan to learn from.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
ZDL4mRUKe-4