PDA

View Full Version : Obama "Special Olympics" comment on Leno

DarrinS
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
<crickets>

If Bush had said that, he's be getting skewered right now.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
<crickets>

Well we all know he was slamming handicaped kids..:rolleyes

DarrinS
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Well we all know he was slamming handicaped kids..:rolleyes

That's not really my point -- I know he doesn't have anything against the handicapped, although I'll bet he prefers the term "special needs".

ploto
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
He already apologized before the show even aired- calling the Special Olympics himself directly.

DarrinS
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
He already apologized before the show even aired- calling the Special Olympics himself directly.

I understand that and I don't even have an issue with that he said (he was just joking). I'm just saying there would've been much more fallout had evil, warmongering Bush said it. Or, if a conservative had said it.

RandomGuy
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
It was a gaffe. He is getting skewered for it. :sleep

Next issue, please.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
It was a pretty fucking stupid thing to say. I don't believe there was any ill intent, but pretty fucking stupid nonetheless.

monosylab1k
03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
How the hell do you know he won't get skewered? This just happened, people are probably just finding out right now.

monosylab1k
03-20-2009, 09:51 AM
And let's be honest - in the same situation, Bush would have probably called it the Retard Olympics.

101A
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Obama has presumed Sensitivity, as do most Dems. Republicans have presumed insensitivity - things stick to one group, not the other.

Now there is also a presumed military/police toughness Republicans enjoy; if there is a terrorist attack, Obama will catch more hell than Bush would. Goes both ways.

Spurminator
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah if Bush had said it, some Lefty would have probably started a thread about it. Silly partisan liberals.

Blake
03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
And let's be honest - in the same situation, Bush would have probably called it the Retard Olympics.

I can't even imagine how his apology would have gone.....if he even would make one.

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
It was bad comment to make and he has apologized. Carry on.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Look, it's just who the Obamas are. They're elitists that tell retard jokes when they think no one is looking. Occasionally, that's going to slip out when they don't mean for it to.

He probably meant no ill-intent but, considering it came out of his mouth at all, speaks volumes on his insensitivity to special needs people.

No different than Michellle Obama suddenly noticing the plight of military families and automatically assuming she was the first First Lady to ever have considered their condition.

They're elitist snobs...pure and simple.

What's ironic is that in less than 2 months Barack is establishing himself as a worse communicator than George W. Bush...

I wonder, if David Letterman is continuing his comedy bit on "Famous Presidential Quotes," he used to skewer President Bush for the past 8 years? Hell, between Obama and Biden, over the past two months, he should have enough material to the term.

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Look, it's just who the Obamas are. They're elitists that tell retard jokes when they think no one is looking. Occasionally, that's going to slip out when they don't mean for it to.

He probably meant no ill-intent but, considering it came out of his mouth at all, speaks volumes on his insensitivity to special needs people.

No different than Michellle Obama suddenly noticing the plight of military families and automatically assuming she was the first First Lady to ever have considered their condition.

What's ironic is that in less than 2 months Barack is establishing himself as a worse communicator than George W. Bush...

I wonder, I David Letterman continuing his comedy bit on "Famous Presidential Quotes," he used to skewer President Bush for the past 8 years? Hell, between Obama and Biden, over the past two months, he should have enough material to the term.

Oh STFU you know damn well that Obama speaks much more intelligently than Bush ever could. You are just a bitter, bitter man.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh STFU you know damn well that Obama speaks much more intelligently than Bush ever could. You are just a bitter, bitter man.
You've apparently never witnessed him without the teleprompter...which, I know, is rare.

Spurminator
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
You guys have become unfunny parodies of yourselves.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
That's not really my point -- I know he doesn't have anything against the handicapped, although I'll bet he prefers the term "special needs".

Haha good point!

Spurminator
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
lol teleprompters!!!

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
And being a good communicator isn't about how you look or sound which, I admit, Obama does pretty good; but, how you c-o-m-m-u-n-i-c-a-t-e.

Obama struggles as communicator (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20234.html)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
I prefer retard jokes than to actually being a retard.

George Gervin's Afro
IN MY OPINION its just who the Obamas are. They're elitists that tell retard jokes when they think no one is looking. Occasionally, that's going to slip out when they don't mean for it to.

I wonder, if David Letterman is continuing his comedy bit on "Famous Presidential Quotes," he used to skewer President Bush for the past 8 years? Hell, between Obama and Biden, over the past two months, he should have enough material to the term.

I fixed your quote

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Face it, Obama is turning out to be a bigger dud than anyone ever imagined.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
I fixed your quote
Whatever helps you cope.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM

according to who? The people who didn't vote for him?...:lmao

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, of the high profile people -- that we know voted for him -- you can start with Warren Buffett, Jack Welch, Jim Cramer, and many in the financial sector that are absolutely flummoxed over his handling of the financial crisis.

I'm thinking they're thinking he's a bigger dud than they imagined. I can't imagine Warren Buffett would have voted for him if he knew what an idiot he would turn out to be on the economy.

But, again, you'll lose this retort when the his approval rating drops below the percentage of Americans that voted for him.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Just for balance...

izn63SHXPMw

Gino
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
The best part is the silly spin control coming from the white house.

"Obama apologizes to special olympics president!"

"Obama invites special olympians to white house!!"

Reminds me when Mark Cuban worked at a Dairy Queen after one of his numerous gaffes.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, of the high profile people -- that we know voted for him -- you can start with Warren Buffett, Jack Welch, Jim Cramer, and many in the financial sector that are absolutely flummoxed over his handling of the financial crisis.

I'm thinking they're thinking he's a bigger dud than they imagined. I can't imagine Warren Buffett would have voted for him if he knew what an idiot he would turn out to be on the economy.

But, again, you'll lose this retort when the his approval rating drops below the percentage of Americans that voted for him.

So they have given up on him during his first 2 months in office?

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
So they have given up on him during his first 2 months in office?
I didn't say given up. I said they've found ot he's a bigger dud than they ever expected. They're very critical of his handling of the economic crisis.

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Every President will have critics and that is a good thing. I never had the expectations that Obama would be perfect like King George. I haven't agreed with everything he has done. But I have NO regrets on my vote.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Every President will have critics and that is a good thing. I never had the expectations that Obama would be perfect like King George. I haven't agreed with everything he has done. But I have NO regrets on my vote.
Wait until you start paying for his cap and trade scheme; or, when you start paying taxes on the medical benefits paid for by your employer; or, when you start paying exorbitant energy prices because of his silly energy initiatives; or when you start thinking about crossing the border into Mexico for health care because you're waiting 6 months for an MRI...

That's where this President is headed...

JoeChalupa
03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Wait until you start paying for his cap and trade scheme; or, when you start paying taxes on the medical benefits paid for by your employer; or, when you start paying exorbitant energy prices because of his silly energy initiatives; or when you start thinking about crossing the border into Mexico for health care because you're waiting 6 months for an MRI...

That's where this President is headed...

We'll be paying for years for your beloved King George's stupid actions during the Cheney presidency.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
We'll be paying for years for your beloved King George's stupid actions during the Cheney presidency.
Obama has just about quintupled the debt incurred in the past 8 years -- in two months. Your in a big fucking glass house there, Joe.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-20-2009, 11:14 AM
read your sig, yoni.
read your sig.
the firmware runs deep.

MannyIsGod
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I agree with Darrin's premise that Bush was a huge victim. Skewer away folks, Skewer away.

DarrinS
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with Darrin's premise that Bush was a huge victim. Skewer away folks, Skewer away.

What Obama said wasn't all that bad. It's not like he asked a man in a wheelchair to stand up.

George Gervin's Afro
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Obama has just about quintupled the debt incurred in the past 8 years -- in two months. Your in a big fucking glass house there, Joe.

I just pray that obama will start an unecessary war* so republicans will love him.. war* is the only thing that seems to make conservatives happy....

* a war they have no stake in

PixelPusher
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
<crickets>

...and all the board conservatives would bemoan how our society is too politically correct and hypersensitive.

ChumpDumper
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Face it, Obama is turning out to be a bigger dud than anyone ever imagined.He's doing about as well as I thought he would given his inexperience and the nation's current predicament.

Trouble is McCain wouldn't have done any better.

dg7md
03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Two months in office.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Two months in office.
No shit...he's done it faster than anyone imagined, too.

ChumpDumper
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
PRINCETON, NJ -- President Barack Obama's job approval rating, at 61% in the latest three-day average of Gallup Poll Daily tracking, is slightly above where George W. Bush's and in particular Bill Clinton's were at this point in mid-March of the first years of their administrations.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116845/Obama-Approval-Equal-Better-Bush-Clinton.aspx

Oh noes!

ChumpDumper
03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Just for balance...

izn63SHXPMwJust for balance...

Alaska superintendents are already lobbying legislators to reverse Gov. Sarah Palin's decision to reject $172 million for Alaska schools.

Their reactions to Palin's decision have ranged from dismay to panic, superintendents said Thursday.

Much of the stimulus package money for education -- about $74 million -- was designated for poor schools and special-needs kids. It was to be spent over the next two academic years.

http://www.adn.com/news/education/story/729506.html

Winehole23
03-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Gov. Sanford of SC just did something similar (http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090320/NEWS/90320027/1004/NEWS01).

Bartleby
03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Gov. Sanford of SC just did something similar (http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090320/NEWS/90320027/1004/NEWS01).

That's lame. He seemed like a pretty decent guy when he was interviewed by Colbert.

Winehole23
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Federalism beef. Sanford wanted to use the money to pay down the state debt.

Winehole23
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
SC state legislature can still apply for the money and probably will.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Now, look who's talking:

“Well, you know, they’ve got some explaining to do and I think the president is going to have to clarify to the American public what took place between Treasury and Mr. Dodd. Obviously there was, appears to have been, some kind of agreement that they would protect the AIG from having to give those bonuses. I don’t know who said what and when. Chris Dodd said he wrote the language but that he was pressured practically by Treasury. Maybe the president is not up to speed on what is going on. But I think it is going to have to be clarified.”
Yep. None other than Maxine Waters. This is rich. Mrs. Waters went out of her way to help get a bailout for the black-owned bank in Boston that once had her husband as a member of its board of directors.

post and video here (http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0309/Obama_has_some_explaining_to_do_Waters_says.html).

I bet she voted for Obama. Not only that, I'm betting she, like Christ Matthews, was one that got a tingle up her leg...ewww.

But, wait, that's not all...

“The Wall Street bailout is starting to look like the most expensive tax-supported fiasco in history… The president cannot afford to lose the public’s confidence that his administration is a careful steward of the public’s money. The public was willing to go along with a large stimulus package. But it won’t go along with a second stimulus, and certainly not another TARP. And until the public feels confident that its money isn’t being thrown down a rat hole, it may balk at other ambitious undertakings such as healthcare or education or the environment.”
They're starting to each one another...and, are now nipping at the heels of The One.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Now this!

The Washington Times reported (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/20/conyers-suggests-probe-of-acorn/) that “Pittsburgh lawyer Heather Heidelbaugh accused the nonprofit group of violating tax, campaign-finance and other laws by, among other things, sharing with the Barack Obama campaign a list of the Democrat’s maxed-out campaign donors so ACORN could use it to solicit them for a get-out-the-vote drive.”

Conyers reacted and said: “I think that it (investigating ACORN) would be something that would be worth our time. We’ve never had one person representing ACORN before the committee. …I think in all fairness we ought to really examine it.”

I think the piranhas smell blood in the water...

I mean, c'mon! Conyers?!?

:corn:

florige
03-20-2009, 10:35 PM
<crickets>

Did you really vote for Obama?

florige
03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
He's doing about as well as I thought he would given his inexperience and the nation's current predicament.

Trouble is McCain wouldn't have done any better.

At least Obama isn't guilty of trying to get Stevie Wonder's attention by waving at him like yours truly was.

Yonivore
03-20-2009, 10:56 PM
At least Obama isn't guilty of trying to get Stevie Wonder's attention by waving at him like yours truly was.
Nah, he's more into offending the disabled by making them the butt of his jokes. have you heard the one about a President walking into a bowling alley?

smeagol
03-21-2009, 07:15 AM

:lmao

smeagol
03-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I just pray that obama will start an unecessary war* so republicans will love him.. war* is the only thing that seems to make conservatives happy....

* a war they have no stake in

Who do you pray to if you don't believe in God?

Mother nature . . ?

ehz33satx
03-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Is he a bigger idiot than the previous president who turned our economy into the horrendous mess that it is now? I don't understand the people who blame Obama for something that Bush made a complete shambles of.

Yonivore
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Is he a bigger idiot than the previous president who turned our economy into the horrendous mess that it is now?
Obama has already quintupled the deficit on things unrelated or barely related to the financial crisis. Obama has exponentially exacerbated the "mess" in just under 2 months. And, you can blame Democrats in Congress for their obstructioinist policies on GSE reform...Barney Frank chief among them. You can also blame people like Chris Dodd and Maxine Waters for personally benefitting from the crisis and, therefore, engaging in politics that either concealed corrupt activity or made it worse.

I don't understand the people who blame Obama for something that Bush made a complete shambles of.
Have you tallied up the spending Obama and the Democrats have managed to rack up in about 7 weeks on the job? It dwarfs anything Bush signed off on -- from a Democratic Congress, mind you.

Yes, he's a bigger idiot. About 5 times bigger -- if my math is right.

ehz33satx
03-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Obama has already quintupled the deficit on things unrelated or barely related to the financial crisis. Obama has exponentially exacerbated the "mess" in just under 2 months. And, you can blame Democrats in Congress for their obstructioinist policies on GSE reform...Barney Frank chief among them. You can also blame people like Chris Dodd and Maxine Waters for personally benefitting from the crisis and, therefore, engaging in politics that either concealed corrupt activity or made it worse.

Have you tallied up the spending Obama and the Democrats have managed to rack up in about 7 weeks on the job? It dwarfs anything Bush signed off on -- from a Democratic Congress, mind you.

We would not be in this mess if not for Bush and his policies.

Yonivore
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
We would not be in this mess if not for Bush and his policies.
Really? Which policies would that be?

ElNono
03-21-2009, 08:53 PM
g4WbeimqHY8

Jacob1983
03-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Bush probably would have had to resign if he had said what Obama said.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Wow obama fucked up on this one. Repugs are foaming at the mouth.

Wild Cobra
03-22-2009, 10:34 AM
You know...

I don't like president Obama, but this is one I think we should give him a pass on. I'm really surprised this thread wasn't DOA.

He was on the tonight joke, and he was making a joke against himself, referring to his bowling score. If we want to maintain proper criticism, is this one really that important? I think not. Besides, how many jokes can someone make that doesn't offend someone?

Wild Cobra
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM

This is the only part I agree with. Beyond that fact of media treatment, was what he said that bad?

smeagol
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
People on the right can be as stupid as people on the left when it comes to criticizing red or blue presidents.

clambake
03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
obama should have never said that about palin.

101A
03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Who do you pray to if you don't believe in God?

Mother nature . . ?

:lmao

101A
03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Is he a bigger idiot than the previous president who turned our economy into the horrendous mess that it is now? I don't understand the people who blame Obama for something that Bush made a complete shambles of.

Not that don't think Bush is culpable is some measure, but since you are obviously so versed on the subject, please tell us; what did Bush do to make our economy, hell, the Worlds economy, into the shambles it is? Please be specific.

LockBeard
03-23-2009, 08:45 AM
bowling is for retards anyways

LnGrrrR
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
You know...

I don't like president Obama, but this is one I think we should give him a pass on. I'm really surprised this thread wasn't DOA.

He was on the tonight joke, and he was making a joke against himself, referring to his bowling score. If we want to maintain proper criticism, is this one really that important? I think not. Besides, how many jokes can someone make that doesn't offend someone?

Who kidnapped WC and replaced him with a pod person?

Honestly, thanks for some rationality.

It was obviously a bad/dumb joke to make, and Obama apologized for his stupidity.

Don Quixote
03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Agree. It was a throwaway line, perhaps offensive, but he apologized and it's over. I don't see the need to rake him over the coals over it. Shoot ... I don't think anyone here at ST has never said something stupid once or twice.

That said, I do think (1) this will teach him not to go ANYWHERE without his teleprompter. If he is campaigning at a Rotary Club luncheon in Maryland, he better have it with him. Or campaigning on Cooking with Rachael Ray ...
(2) Bush would NEVER have gotten off so lightly had he said that. (Two sets of rules in the media -- they will cover a negative story involving a Democrat, but only if Republicans press it, and then they will frame it as a right-wing attack.),
and (3) contrast Obama's comment with Sarah Palin's real-life experience with special needs kids.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Palin refused federal money for special needs kids for purely political reasons.

Some contrast.

Don Quixote
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

I agree. This bailout mania and mess in Washington is a bipartisan scam. All the more reason to scrap it all and start over.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Start over how?

RandomGuy
05-02-2019, 03:25 PM

Holy fuckballs.

So if the Obamas were "elitists" what do you call a president who refers to the White House as " a dump"

Fascintating seeing how criticisms were leveled at Obama that are vastly more applicable to Trump, yet what hypocrites like Yoni et al were REALLY concered about... garner crickets when Trump goes several orders of magnitude further.

a777pilot
05-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Question: Does Stevie Wonder have people around him that work for him that are sighted?

a777pilot
05-02-2019, 03:31 PM
"So if the Obamas were "elitists" what do you call a president who refers to the White House as " a dump""

Maybe Harry S Truman.

a777pilot
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Holy fuckballs.

So if the Obamas were "elitists" what do you call a president who refers to the White House as " a dump"

Fascintating seeing how criticisms were leveled at Obama that are vastly more applicable to Trump, yet what hypocrites like Yoni et al were REALLY concered about... garner crickets when Trump goes several orders of magnitude further.

Damn, you used the word "further" correctly.

Pavlov
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
"So if the Obamas were "elitists" what do you call a president who refers to the White House as " a dump""

Maybe Harry S Truman.OK, when did he call it a dump?

a777pilot
05-02-2019, 03:33 PM
OK, when did he call it a dump?

When he and Bess moved in.

History is your friend.

Pavlov
05-02-2019, 03:34 PM
When he and Bess moved in.

History is your friend.Link to the quote?

I know it was renovated during his term.

a777pilot
05-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Link to the quote?

I know it was renovated during his term.

I guess Harry had the government spend millions because the Whitehouse was in great shape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Reconstruction

Pavlov
05-02-2019, 03:38 PM
I guess Harry had the government spend millions because the Whitehouse was in great shape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_ReconstructionCongress had the government spend the money.

Do you actually have a quote or not?

Back up your claim.

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2019, 03:43 PM
:lol classic Chump goal post move.

Pavlov
05-02-2019, 03:51 PM
:lol classic Chump goal post move.I already said I knew about the renovations.

The other old asshole you're defending made a claim he has yet to back up.

The goalpost hasn't moved one bit.

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2019, 04:01 PM
I already said I knew about the renovations.

The other old asshole you're defending made a claim he has yet to back up.

The goalpost hasn't moved one bit.

So you are now looking for a specific quote where Truman used the exact word "dump"?

The link he provided certainly described a dump, even if the explicit word wasn't used.

Spurminator
05-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Ah, how quaint.