PDA

View Full Version : Joystiq survey: Xbox 360 E74 errors on the rise since NXE

Cry Havoc
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/19/joystiq-survey-xbox-360-e74-errors-on-the-rise-since-nxe/

Joystiq survey: Xbox 360 E74 errors on the rise since NXE

When we recently posted about the Xbox 360's E74 error and asked for your input, we weren't prepared for the staggering response we'd receive. Within a few hours, we had dozens of emails from readers like you who had experienced this particular hardware failure (typically caused, according to unofficial web reports, by a loose scaling chip). It was surprising to touch such a nerve, but what really knocked us for a loop was what we found when we started compiling the data sent to us.

We asked respondents for three bits of information: when they bought their systems, what models the systems are, and when the E74 error occurred. Before we drop the data on you, we should say up front that we're not statisticians. Our little study isn't perfect -- it wasn't controlled using scientific procedures. But in the absence of data from Microsoft (more on that in a bit), it's the basis for what we hope to be an important first report:

As we interpret the data, there's been a sharp increase in the E74 error since the New Xbox Experience was released in November of last year. The obvious conclusion is that the system is being taxed by NXE in such a way that it's more prone to E74. Alternately, a more sinister theory is making the rounds on forums that Microsoft has changed the diagnostics of the system to report the Red Ring of Death error as E74. This, however, seems unlikely as many in our poll are still reporting RROD failures post-NXE.

One oddity is that there is no correlation between the dates on which the systems in question were purchased and when they went belly up. The error usually occurred after anywhere from 12 to 36 months of use, with many of you claiming that trouble arose on consoles that have already been repaired for Red Ring of Death. Whatever modifications Microsoft has made to the console to improve its reliability in the past years seems to have no bearing on the likelihood of E74.

Further evidence for a recent E74 increase comes from our (again, unscientific) poll. Of those claiming to be have gotten the error, only 42 percent said that they had received it before the NXE update. To put that another way, 58 percent of the reported E74s have come in the last 12 percent of the console's life. [Update: Engadget has put together a poll similar to ours, and of the more than 1600 people reporting E74 errors, 59 percent have received them since NXE launched.] Again, not scientific, but do a Twitter search for "E74" and you'll find five new reports of the error since yesterday.

So, why isolate the E74 error? While Red Ring of Death is covered under an extended three-year warranty, those who get the E74 later than 12 months and one day after their purchase are forced to pay more than $100 for a repair.

We reached out to Microsoft, asking what causes the E74 error, if it's been on an uptick, and why it's not covered when RROD is. Here's the official statement:

"E74 is a general hardware error on Xbox 360 indicated by a single red flashing light in the Xbox Ring of Light and an error message visible on the television. This error is unrelated to the three flashing red lights error and there is not a single root cause. We encourage anyone who receives this error to contact Xbox Customer support through www.xbox.com/support or 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles continue to have a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out."

Right, so, Microsoft is not really answering anything. We aren't asking unfair questions here, we're asking the things that those who own Xbox 360s (and those who might consider buying them or even Microsoft's next console) would want to know. The company seems to want to rebuild a relationship with hardware consumers after losing the trust of many with the RROD debacle, but not talking about something that's clearly a widespread problem seems like a terrible way to start. (Maybe Microsoft thinks that if RROD didn't hurt brand preference, neither will E74.)

Sorry, but Microsoft's current stance on E74 isn't good enough for us. We're not going to let this go until we find out why Microsoft lends a hand to some of those inconvenienced by an admittedly shoddy piece of technology, while others have to take a hit in their pocket books. You keep sending us your stories, and we'll keep pursuing the answers.

-----------

At this point, I'm really, really glad I went with Ps3. It's getting ridiculous, and Microsoft has MORE than enough money to cover this and make it's consumers happy. Sad.

BlackSwordsMan
03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
E74 is the new RROD

Cry Havoc
03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
It's worse. The E74 is not covered by warranty.

It already happened to my brother. He has to pay $100 if he wants it fixed.

Trainwreck2100
03-20-2009, 03:32 PM

he can't just towel wrap the thing till it overheats into the rrod?

BruceBowenFan
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
This happened to me i repaired it twice before saying screw this, i just bought one of the new xboxes.

ManuTP9
03-20-2009, 03:40 PM
had my 360 since 07 boguht another last year and nothing happend to none of them yet suprisingly.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I recently had this happen to me, like in the past month. It was a single red light E74 error after 1 year 8 months of ownership. First off.. I love the 360. It's F'ing great. I knew it had problems prior to buying but the warranty was enough to make me purchase.

I have an open glass TV stand so it was well ventilated at ALL times. I was afraid that MS wouldn't cover it under warranty. I was told by other people on the net to towel trick it enough to give you the 3 rings and some others told me some times theres 3 ringed and others 1 ringed.

I took a chance and called MS and claimed I had the RRD even though I didn't. I sent it in and had another working console in less than a week so yay for me.

I still love the 360 even after the problems and right now I still don't want a PS3.. it has maybe 2 games I'am interested in, my opinion of course. After the 3 years warranty is up and it goes out again, I will replace it with either a PS3 or a nextgen console.. prefereably MS.

The point is that the 360 is a horribly designed product and it takes a national uproar for Microsoft to do anything about honoring a warranty. A system that breaks through a fault not of the user's but because of a design flaw should be fixed free of charge. No way you can even argue that point. You CANNOT defend a company making a product that destroys itself and then expects the people who bought it to fork over money because of that.

It's incredibly frustrating to me as a gamer when people come out of the woodwork to defend the 360, because Microsoft is openly shafting people and they deserve to get hammered publicly for it.

Xbox owners are increasingly becoming more fanatical. It's something similar to Apple fanbois, IMO. Scary.

balli
03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree with you CH, it's just deplorable that Microsoft would not only produce a broken product, but not cover it's own latent design flaw's under warranty. By all rights they should have flat-out lost the console war and at the same time they should be/should have been filleted by the gaming media/mainstream media.

Still- I love my 360, I couldn't live wthout it, I own way too many games for it at this point... and when it breaks again, I will guaranteed replace it with another 360 as opposed to a ps3. But I assure you, I'm beyond outraged with Microsoft for condemning me and my money hostage to such a ridiculously unfair endeavor.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I agree with you CH, it's just deplorable that Microsoft would not only produce a broken product, but not cover it's own latent design flaw's under warranty. By all rights they should have flat-out lost the console war and at the same time they should be/should have been filleted by the gaming media/mainstream media.

Still- I love my 360, I couldn't live wthout it, I own way too many games for it at this point... and when it breaks again, I will guaranteed replace it with another 360 as opposed to a ps3. But I assure you, I'm beyond outraged with Microsoft for condemning me and my money hostage to such a ridiculously unfair endeavor.

The big question is: What console will you buy next generation?

My answer: I don't know if I'll buy another console. Nintendo pissed me off with their shitty lineup of games, Microsoft REALLY pissed me off for being absolutely shitty to their customers, and Sony pissed me off for such shitty marketing and development.

I think, at this point, I'm a PC gamer for life. Fuck all three of the game makers who don't give people what they want.

BlackSwordsMan
03-20-2009, 11:58 PM

yup I said fuck it and bought a new xbox

BlackSwordsMan
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
even if the xbox 360 is a piece of shit in terms of hardware I would never buy a ps3

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 12:03 AM
even if the xbox 360 is a piece of shit in terms of hardware I would never buy a ps3

Intelligent decision. That's precisely WHY the 360 is a piece of shit, because M$ can get away with it.

I don't know how you think that openly paying for a piece of shit is a good idea, but whatever. If it fails on you, you have yourself to blame.

BlackSwordsMan
03-21-2009, 12:29 AM
=d

BlackSwordsMan
03-21-2009, 12:30 AM
:No u:

lefty
03-21-2009, 01:42 AM

Wow

What happened to you during that 8 year run in the White House ?

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 03:52 AM
I wasn't defending it, I had the same problem but they warrantied it and will for 3 years. I know you're a PS lover but we know the PS2 had problems too that Sony didn't want to back up.

lol

I never bought a Ps2.

Nice try.

BlackSwordsMan
03-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow

What happened to you during that 8 year run in the White House ?

????

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Maybe not, but it still had problems. Seems like you calling out the fanboys is ironic with your avatar being a PS3 and you defending it.:toast

What are you talking about?

Yes, I'm defending a Ps3. My 60GB still works without a hiccup, and I don't even WORRY about it failing on me. This discussion has nothing, not one thing to do with the Ps2. It's the Ps3 (~3% failure rate) and the 360, (something around a ~65% failure rate) one of the most poorly designed electronics devices I've ever heard of. I don't think the Ps2 even approached a 50% fail rate, let alone over 60. No game system or electronics device that I know of that has sold as well as the 360 has failed quite like it has. Which would be a HORRIBLE thing for a system anyway, but if that's not bad enough, Microsoft didn't want to fix the RRoDs for free at first and now they aren't doing anything about the E74 errors. It's insane. I know people that had A Ps2 fail. One. I don't know of anyone that had more than 1 or 2 Ps2s fail on them. I have a friend on his 5th 360.

The Ps3 is an extremely well-built (if heavy) console. I don't know a single person who's had problems with it. The 360, on the other hand, EVERYONE I know who owns one has had at least one RRoD.

jman3000
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Then your brother is an idiot.

I got the E74 error and just put it as a RROD... I shipped it in and received my Xbox within a week. No problems.

Even if they find out when they receive it that it's E74 and not RROD they aren't going to do anything. It protects them from another possible lawsuit brought up by E74 sufferers, just like how the RROD people filed one.

Xbox is by far the superior choice for gamers, crappy hardware or not. PS3 might be better for non gamers who like to have an entertainment center, but the Xbox is for more seasoned gamers.

Cry Havoc
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Then your brother is an idiot.

I got the E74 error and just put it as a RROD... I shipped it in and received my Xbox within a week. No problems.

Even if they find out when they receive it that it's E74 and not RROD they aren't going to do anything. It protects them from another possible lawsuit brought up by E74 sufferers, just like how the RROD people filed one.

Xbox is by far the superior choice for gamers, crappy hardware or not. PS3 might be better for non gamers who like to have an entertainment center, but the Xbox is for more seasoned gamers.

:lmao

So let me get this straight:

My brother is an idiot because he was not aware of the NEW complete brick-job of the Xbox360. He's an idiot because he's only aware of the OLD fault that ruined millions of consoles.

Wow. You're right, I totally get it now. As long as you're willing to stay on top of all the ways your system can screw itself and are willing to lie to the manufacturer just so you can get them not to void your warranty, it's a great console. :lol I see it now. Forgive me for not understanding your superiority complex at first.

Xbox is by far the superior choice for gamers

You couldn't be more wrong. The PC is far and away the best gaming system. It has the best graphics, the best control options, best array of features, most powerful system, best user interface, most ways to keep tabs on your friends. There's not a single thing that a 360 does better than PC. Well, maybe sports games. And we all know REAL hardcore gamers only care about Madden, right? :lol

CuckingFunt
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I like my PS3. I like that, even though it dates back to the initial launch, I don't have to worry every time I turn it on.

Though I like many of the recent PS3 games, however, I'll be the first to admit that I probably wouldn't like my PS3 as much as I do if it weren't one of the versions that plays almost all PS2 games.

Mixability
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. The PC is far and away the best gaming system. It has the best graphics, the best control options, best array of features, most powerful system, best user interface, most ways to keep tabs on your friends. There's not a single thing that a 360 does better than PC.

Oh brother, we get this same schtick every time. It's like breathing for you, isn't it?

Maybe us console gamers don't want to have to worry about upgrading cards, overclocking and all the other bullshit just to play a fucking game. I work 9-5 monday through friday in front of pc screen with a mouse and keyboard in front of me. I'd rather spend my downtime on the fucking couch with controller in hand NOT contributing to my ever increasing carpal tunnel.

Blah, blah, blah. Yeah, we know the PC can do EVERYTHING,
but I'm from the Nintendo generation:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A = :tu

file, open, select, delete, browse, search, select, copy, paste, reboot, install, ctl alt delete, reboot, download patch, ctl alt delete, reboot, upgrade, reboot = :td

Cry Havoc
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh brother, we get this same schtick every time. It's like breathing for you, isn't it?

Actually, I didn't even mention the PC until some ignorant fanboy had to go shooting his mouth-off about how superior his 360 is and insinuating that only "real gamers" play on a 360. So I guess it's stupid of me to talk about how great a PC is, but for a 360 owner to defend a complete failure of the warranty to cover the product and talk about how great the system is rates as A-OK in your book. Cognitive dissonance runs wild in this thread. :toast

I work 9-5 monday through friday in front of pc screen with a mouse and keyboard in front of me. I'd rather spend my downtime on the fucking couch with controller in hand NOT contributing to my ever increasing carpal tunnel.

Blah, blah, blah. Yeah, we know the PC can do EVERYTHING,
but I'm from the Nintendo generation:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A = :tu

file, open, select, delete, browse, search, select, copy, paste, reboot, install, ctl alt delete, reboot, download patch, ctl alt delete, reboot, upgrade, reboot = :td

Wow, really? So you like sitting in front of a couch too? Because I love running an HDMI cable out from my computer to my Plasma TV and playing with my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, with more anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering than you can get from a console. Of course, don't let your love for consoles get in the way of the idea that the PC can do EVERYTHING a console can, and then some.

As for upgrading cards, it is optional. If I WANT absolutely top of the line graphics, I can get that. Otherwise, I can just stick to my $160 video card that STILL outperforms either the Ps3 or the 360. There's a reason you don't see Crysis on a console yet. :lol

Maybe us console gamers don't want to have to worry about upgrading cards, overclocking and all the other bullshit just to play a fucking game.

Good to know you don't have any worries as a console gamer.

http://gaygamer.net/images/xbox_360_rrod.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll316/bestb4u/systemerrorE74.jpg

z0sa
03-23-2009, 11:18 PM
wow, cry havoc is the most easily butthurt gamer Ive ever seen. Most of us can get along with a few different opinions on preference of system and games, apparently not Havoc who says he's not a PS3 fanboy while creating a thread to down the 360's manufacturer followed by ridiculing others for prefering console games over PC games - all with a PS3 as his avatar. Jesus you don't even know you're a hypocrite, do you?

As a seasoned vet of both, I will freely admit the PC has the most options. But like whoever said, I don't feel like the mess of a PC most of the time with my gaming. If you want to link it up through your plasma, fine, some of us don't want the trouble and don't have the convenience - not to mention decent PCs are not cheap.

last but not least, your brother may not be an idiot but he sure wasn't thinking most logically. Anyone and everyone knows RROD is instant acceptance and quick replacement - so for most problems, its best to say its the three rings and let them figure it out on their own.

manustarting2gd
03-23-2009, 11:51 PM

Same shit here, got Call of Duty World at War for Christmas and got wi-fi in the crib too , tried to go on xbox live online for the 1st time and the "required update" fried the xbox to a e71/e74 error. So after protesting for a few months, I found some guy on craigslist here in SA who popped the box open without affecting the tamper proof label and caused the RROD for only 20 bucks which is COVERED, I called xbox that night and they sent out the box without giving me hassle what so ever. Just got my box back today and got online without a hitch. Just got to work the system. Fuck Xbox homie. If anyone wants that dudes info that hooked it up , holler at me.

Cry Havoc
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
wow, cry havoc is the most easily butthurt gamer Ive ever seen.

You think I'm butthurt? Actually I'm just rather humored by several responses here, most of all those that defend something that repeatedly screws them. But if you want to call it butthurt because I can have a discussion with another person on the internet without resorting to name-calling (clearly an alien concept to you), I guess that's your loss.

Most of us can get along with a few different opinions on preference of system and games, apparently not Havoc who says he's not a PS3 fanboy while creating a thread to down the 360's manufacturer followed by ridiculing others for prefering console games over PC games - all with a PS3 as his avatar. Jesus you don't even know you're a hypocrite, do you?

Wow, it's an avatar. You're actually allowing a tiny little jpeg I have on a message board influence your perceptions about me as a person. Congrats on that, nice detective work. That's gotta be in the top 10 of the guide of Internet Tough Guy things to do online. You are aware that you are not Tim Duncan, right? I mean, how much of a hypocrite could you be to not be the person you have a picture of in your avatar! :lol

Despite your crassness, I did not create this thread to talk down to 360 gamers. I only did that after one brought out the big guns with, "Well REAL gamers only play on 360." I did this as a favor to the rest of the 360 owners who might not exactly be in the know about the E74 -- people like my brother, who doesn't read up on message boards to figure out how to make a system switch from one fucked-up situation to the other in order to get a company to honor a shady warranty. Gee, I guess that's his fault for not thinking logically! The next time I have engine trouble, I'll make sure my car gets hit by a semi before I take it in for repairs. :lol

Considering that several people in this thread alone have already voiced outrage with Microsoft, I'd say the topic is justified. If people are made more aware of this, maybe enough of you 360 fanboi's will stop slurping up the shitty systems that MS is selling you and actually make them honor their warranty. Some people in this thread are apparently happy and good with Microsoft that their system fails on them multiple times. Other 360 owners are not. I guess they just hate the 360 for no reason as well. :lol

As a seasoned vet of both, I will freely admit the PC has the most options. But like whoever said, I don't feel like the mess of a PC most of the time with my gaming.

Really? Because the person I was talking to was speaking about "seasoned" gamers, which I can safely assume translates to the more "hardcore" bunch who play for hours a day. As I pointed out, the PC is only a mess if you make it one. My games all install and run fine, I can play with a controller on a big screen TV, and it has more power than any console. Does that mean I play it exclusively? Of course not. Some games ARE better on console and I freely admit that. When people stop making stupid generalizations, I will no longer feel the need to point out the simple facts of the situation.

If you want to link it up through your plasma, fine, some of us don't want the trouble and don't have the convenience - not to mention decent PCs are not cheap.

It's a trouble to run a display connector to a TV? Really? That's kind of.... kind of like hooking up an HDMI from a 360 to a TV!

last but not least, your brother may not be an idiot but he sure wasn't thinking most logically. Anyone and everyone knows RROD is instant acceptance and quick replacement - so for most problems, its best to say its the three rings and let them figure it out on their own.

I guess he's one of the unlucky ones... you know, the ones that haven't had 3 or 4 failures of their system yet so they don't know their way around the Microsoft returns department.

The logic here is astounding. He's now being blamed for his system failing and him not immediately knowing how to make it "fail correctly"???? You're telling me a system is so flawed that now gamers have their own pre-designed systematic method of getting Microsoft to honor their ridiculous warranty policies? And you're actually placing the blame on the consumer? I have no words for what that says about that branch of company and the system, or how much of an incredibly obstinate, rose-tinted, blind as a bat fanboy you are, and ANYONE who defends Microsoft in this situation. That's like blaming owners of the Ford Pinto when they die after their car explodes upon getting rear-ended. "Well, they should have known not to let it get hit on the gas-tank! Every Pinto owner knows that's instant death, so it's their fault!"

dirk4mvp
03-24-2009, 12:37 AM
360 outshines ps3 in every other category, one flaw can be looked over.

Mixability
03-24-2009, 12:23 PM
oh man, "IM NOT A FANBOY!"

z0sa
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
You think I'm butthurt? Actually I'm just rather humored by several responses here, most of all those that defend something that repeatedly screws them. But if you want to call it butthurt because I can have a discussion with another person on the internet without resorting to name-calling (clearly an alien concept to you), I guess that's your loss.

Name-calling? Its stating a fact, bro. You're clearly butthurt everyone STILL prefer the 360 over your beloved POS3 or the PC. When a couple people throw out that its too much hassle to hook it up to their plasma+might not even have a plasma or a decent PC, you get defensive and say we're dumbasses for not liking what you like. Just STFU you arrogant jackass.

Wow, it's an avatar. You're actually allowing a tiny little jpeg I have on a message board influence your perceptions about me as a person. Congrats on that, nice detective work. That's gotta be in the top 10 of the guide of Internet Tough Guy things to do online. You are aware that you are not Tim Duncan, right? I mean, how much of a hypocrite could you be to not be the person you have a picture of in your avatar! :lol

Apples to oranges, completely. Are we on the subject of Tim Duncan vs KG? If so, and I was hating on KG as much as you're hating on everyone here, then yeah, you could call me out for it too. As it is, you have PS3 in your avatar, a picture exalting it in all its glory, and you just created a thread downing the 360's manufacturer. 2+2=4

Despite your crassness, I did not create this thread to talk down to 360 gamers.

Bullshit. If not, you did it to make yourself feel better about owning a PS3 opposed to an xbox - a position of arrogance, not intellect.

I did this as a favor to the rest of the 360 owners who might not exactly be in the know about the E74 -- people like my brother, who doesn't read up on message boards to figure out how to make a system switch from one fucked-up situation to the other in order to get a company to honor a shady warranty.

Eh, I'm just going to be honest about the whole brother situation. I experienced the e 74 error a good while back, but still late enough for a no questions asked new xbox after I told them it was RROD. Honestly, its just the most logical choice.

Gee, I guess that's his fault for not thinking logically! The next time I have engine trouble, I'll make sure my car gets hit by a semi before I take it in for repairs. :lol

You don't help your case when you make outlandish, unrelated statements like these. I don't even think a dumbass would anologise making a logical step to save money with ^that.

Considering that several people in this thread alone have already voiced outrage with Microsoft, I'd say the topic is justified. If people are made more aware of this, maybe enough of you 360 fanboi's will stop slurping up the shitty systems that MS is selling you and actually make them honor their warranty. Some people in this thread are apparently happy and good with Microsoft that their system fails on them multiple times. Other 360 owners are not. I guess they just hate the 360 for no reason as well. :lol

eh, xbox is the best console out there IMO. It has nothing to do with being a fanboi, having extensively played just about every console around.

IronMexican
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Ps3 is a much better system. but they don't have the same online community or game selection. I wish PSN was as good as XBL, and all my friends had ps3's. I have one, but it just collects dust.

IronMexican
03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
The system is better, but the games and online sucks. But going by pure hardware, the Ps3 is better.

dirk4mvp
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
The system is better, but the games and online sucks. But going by pure hardware, the Ps3 is better.

That means close to zilch considering graphics for the 360 look just as good if not better than the ps3's.

lefty
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
PS3 rules

Xbox 360 sucks major donkey ass

Bigzax
03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
if/when microsoft fixes these issues and puts a blue ray in the 360...it's ova!

z0sa
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
That means close to zilch considering graphics for the 360 look just as good if not better than the ps3's.

does no one remember how expensive those motherfuckers were at launch as well.

Bigzax
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, really? So you like sitting in front of a couch too? Because I love running an HDMI cable out from my computer to my Plasma TV and playing with my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, with more anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering than you can get from a console. Of course, don't let your love for consoles get in the way of the idea that the PC can do EVERYTHING a console can, and then some.

plasma? http://www.extremeskins.com/images/smilies/doh.gif

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
So you like sitting in front of a couch too?

I prefer sitting on it personally.

jman3000
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM

So let me get this straight:

My brother is an idiot because he was not aware of the NEW complete brick-job of the Xbox360. He's an idiot because he's only aware of the OLD fault that ruined millions of consoles.

Wow. You're right, I totally get it now. As long as you're willing to stay on top of all the ways your system can screw itself and are willing to lie to the manufacturer just so you can get them not to void your warranty, it's a great console. :lol I see it now. Forgive me for not understanding your superiority complex at first.

:toast You are forgiven.

You couldn't be more wrong. The PC is far and away the best gaming system. It has the best graphics, the best control options, best array of features, most powerful system, best user interface, most ways to keep tabs on your friends. There's not a single thing that a 360 does better than PC. Well, maybe sports games. And we all know REAL hardcore gamers only care about Madden, right? :lol

I was a huge PC gamer in the early 2000's. I played Starcraft probably well over 200 hours... and I can remember days where I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein online for 10 hours at a time. It's just that my laptop takes care of all my school and financial needs... I don't really want to put the monetary investment into a gaming PC when it would be used as just a gaming platform. I'd rather just have my 360 for that sole purpose. I liken it to having to buy 6 different things to make a sandwich when I can just go to subway and buy one instead. It's a convenience and not wanting to have to deal with the initial investment thing.

Plus I have minor OCD and like to have achievement points as a semi tangible pay off for the hours invested into a game.

lefty
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
if/when microsoft fixes these issues and puts a blue ray in the 360...it's ova!

Blue Ray belongs to Sony

Not gonna happen

Cry Havoc
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
plasma? http://www.extremeskins.com/images/smilies/doh.gif

What's your point? It's the highest rated TV in it's price range and size, or was when I bought it.

I prefer sitting on it personally.

:lol Good point.

I was a huge PC gamer in the early 2000's. I played Starcraft probably well over 200 hours... and I can remember days where I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein online for 10 hours at a time. It's just that my laptop takes care of all my school and financial needs... I don't really want to put the monetary investment into a gaming PC when it would be used as just a gaming platform. I'd rather just have my 360 for that sole purpose. I liken it to having to buy 6 different things to make a sandwich when I can just go to subway and buy one instead. It's a convenience and not wanting to have to deal with the initial investment thing.

Plus I have minor OCD and like to have achievement points as a semi tangible pay off for the hours invested into a game.

This is a completely logical statement, one of the first I've seen in this thread. Sad that it took that many posts to get someone to express a well-stated opinion.

It's also interesting to note that everything thinks I hate the 360. I don't. It's a system that has a large and growing number of excellent games. I'm not sure how creating a thread about a subject that I saw on digg.com makes me a hater. It does piss me off that Microsoft is providing such shitty warranty support. And it does piss me off that people will defend that incredibly shitty warranty. You can call me butthurt if you want. I consider myself just annoyed at such stupidity and blind defense of a company that doesn't hesitate to screw over it's consumers.