PDA

View Full Version : Injuries and SPAM

Brodels
03-13-2005, 08:35 PM
SPAM is usually coming into full force by this point. But the Spurs have struggled some since the all star break. Much of the trouble can be attributed to injuries.

But what is the effect of this team not beginning its usual SPAM journey on schedule? Did the Spurs peak too early in the season, or have their recent struggles been solely a result of injuries?

Some have accused the Spurs of peaking just a tad bit too early in the past. What is the ideal time for the team to start peaking? With about five weeks left in the season, should they start playing their best basketball now, or in a few weeks?

The journey is different this season. I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I think the injuries are giving the role players another chance to prove themselves. If one or more of them take advantage, it'll be a net positive.

Brodels
03-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I think the injuries are giving the role players another chance to prove themselves. If one or more of them take advantage, it'll be a net positive.

I agree, but I worry that if everyone isn't healed in a week or two there won't be time to get the team ready to play at the highest level. It will take some time to solidify rotations and get everyone comfortable and playing well again.

Things may very well be fine, but I really hope that everyone gets healthy soon.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, Tim looks healed and I think Tony will be fine. The only one I worry about getting healthy in time is Manu.

Summers
03-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, Tim looks healed and I think Tony will be fine. The only one I worry about getting healthy in time is Manu.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, let him sit as long as he needs to so he can be a force come play-offs. Also, I'm really anxious to see how quickly Nazr can learn the system and contribute. (Crossing fingers this knee thing of Tony's is just a charlie horse)

Newbie question: What's SPAM?

boutons
03-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't know if what we saw before Christmas was the peak for these Spurs, but after Christmas, it's been pretty piss poor. Everything that seemed to be there earlier seems to have evaporated. The offense, the bench, whatever. The only good thing is the record, but only dumbshits believe that proves anything.

Last season was damn near ideal SPAM, a solid March, beating top WC teams on the road, then an 11-game win streak to end the season and have max mo heading into the playoffs. Is that SPAM? It sure meant zilch in the playoffs. So while SPAM has a certain appeal, I'm not sure it means much. The 03 Spurs didn't wait til March, conducting tough and long RRT in Feb, to make the Spurs the best road team (toughness) in the NBA.

A several other teams are SPAMming, esp Houston, better than the Spurs.

I think Spurs SPAM is BS, a "fun" myth. Many teams, esp with new coaches and players, play their best ball in the second half.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 08:58 PM
SPAM is an acronym for "Spurs Peak After March" that references that the Spurs usually start out slowly and peak late in the season.

Welcome to the forum.

Summers
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah, thank you! :) I hate being the new kid in class. I'm looking forward to hanging out, learning, and discussing.

The Spurs have just looked plain ol' worn out to me lately, but I can't remember last season to compare it. I guess that's why I've been a champion of the let-everyone-sit-out-until-they-feel-better gang. I'm hoping a little breather will be good for them. Is anyone else concerned about the upcoming schedule? Half back-to-backs?

Kori Ellis
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Is anyone else concerned about the upcoming schedule? Half back-to-backs?

Yes, that's the main reason I'm worried about Manu. Like you said, there's five more sets of back-to-backs. Four sets of them coming in April, equating to eight games in 13 nights. It's going to suck.

Summers
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, if it's any consolation, the Suns don't have it much better for the remainder of the season, although the Mavs and Rockets seem to have gotten off a little easier. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I remember reading an article about the supposed unfairness of how back-to-backs are distributed. I'm too lazy to look up everybody's schedule, but I'm curious about how they stack up...

Solid D
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
It's still March.

Spurs Peak After March

TwoHandJam
03-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I often feel that the Spurs peak too early. It seems like they usually peak somewhere in early April then kinda slump a bit and sort of coast into the playoffs. Sometimes even if they're winning their last regular season games, they aren't always quality wins. Maybe this bout of the the injury bug will push their peak back a bit and actually be a blessing in disguise.... If it doesn't ruin their chances at HCA throughout the playoffs first.

LakerGod
03-14-2005, 12:08 AM
LOL :lol

Blazer16
03-14-2005, 10:18 AM
LOL :lol

At what?

Extra Stout
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
SPAM still applies, it just stands for something different:

Spurs
Plateau
After
March

johnny00
03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Does anyone remember how the Kings had a terrific run up to January of last year? The championship trophy was basically being lain at thier feet, until thier second half collapse. I had been telling my friends that I hope the Spurs would not repeat that same performance and now...... Someone tell me it's not going to happen. Make me feel better, PLEASE!!!

FromWayDowntown
03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I may be alone in this, but I think these games are going to prove quite helpful to the Spurs as the stretch run continues. Sure, it would be ideal to have a single lineup and a set rotation playing game-after-game heading into the playoffs. But I've thought for a while that this team was becoming somewhat bored with the regular season and needed a challenge to re-ignite the spark.

They've practically clinched their division and are more or less assured of being either the #1 or #2 seed come playoff time. With the exception of their two losses to Seattle, they are 8-2 against the big dogs in the West (Phoenix, Dallas, Sacramento). Even with Seattle in that mix, the Spurs are 9-4 against the teams with the best records in the West.

At this point, they're proving the confidence in their depth by playing good teams to near stand-stills without Tim and Manu. Obviously, they are getting good and much needed rest for both Duncan and Ginobili at the same time. But as much as anything else, they now know that they have to raise their games down the stretch to regain the #1 seed and gain HCA throughout the playoffs. They have a challenge (beyond the mundane goal of winning games) and they've shown, in the past (say 2002-03) that when faced with such challenges, they rise to the occasion. I think this team needs what's happening right now, both in terms of getting some rest for key players and in terms of finding a challenge to drive them to the end of this season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
It's still March.

Spurs Peak After March

True dat Solid.

The Spurs are just picking up steam a little later this year due to all the injuries, but the SPAM told us that would be the case. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I think Spurs SPAM is BS, a "fun" myth. Many teams, esp with new coaches and players, play their best ball in the second half.

Oh, man. . .

Don't anger the SPAM. That's all I can say about that. The SPAM won't be real happy to hear you've accused it of being a myth. I'd highly recommend avoiding black cats, ladders, mirrors, or any baby grand pianos or bank safes being suspended out of 6th floor windows.

Throw some salt over your left shoulder and you should be protected.