PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Celtics Game)

duncan228
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090320.html)

Gregg Popovich

On the game - It was a great game. Both teams are great defensively, play physical and aggressively, it was a well-played defensive game. I was happy with a lot of things in the game tonight but there are definitely things that we can do better. You always make mistakes in games but it was a good overall game against the NBA champions. When you miss six free throws in the last minutes of the games, it will affect the outcome.

On Rondo’s inbounds at the end of the game - It was a smart play by Rondo. He was just trying to .4 seconds off the clock and not have the ball stolen by our team.

On mistakes in tonight’s game - The game is full of mistakes. We made mistakes but so did the Celtics. The Glen Davis jumper at the end of the game hurt us along with the six missed free throws. It was a tough loss but life goes on. The most important game for us is the next.

Roger Mason Jr.

On the game - “We’re better than the way we played and executed at the end. It’s a tough loss but we’re in a tight situation right now and Sunday (vs. Houston) is going to be big for us.”

On the Spurs’ poor three-point shooting the last few games - “We still didn’t get good looks. Obviously, when you’re one of the better three-point shooting teams the other team is going to try and contest a little harder. It’s part of basketball and there are some nights where the shots just don’t fall.”

On Rajon Rondo’s steal at the end of the first quarter - “I figured he was out of the play and he might go to another guy but he came from behind and snuck up on me.”

On Michael Finley and Tony Parker missing free throws down the stretch - “I’ll take them on the free throw line any day of the week for the championship. Sometimes there are nights like that and tonight just happened to be that night.”

Tim Duncan

On the game - “We had opportunities to win the game but it just didn’t pan out. And credit to them. They played well defensively. I thought we did the same holding them to under 80 (points). A very winnable game. Not enough good performances out there. Mainly myself, I just didn’t play well and didn’t do enough to push us over the top.”

On missing free throws down the stretch - “That happens. That’s basketball. We had great shots, we had the guys we wanted on the free throw line and it’s just another unfortunate night.”

On the game being very rugged - “It was a great game for us. It was played the way we wanted to play. Tony (Parker) was playing great the whole game and we had a tie score down the stretch there with an opportunity to go up. It was just a great situation for us and just one of those unfortunate situations where we didn’t get over the top.”

Chieflion
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
I thought the Spurs were the most fundamentally sound team but somehow they miss easy layups and miss free throws.

timaios
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
On the Spurs’ poor three-point shooting the last few games

“We still didn’t get good looks. Obviously, when you’re one of the better three-point shooting teams the other team is going to try and contest a little harder. It’s part of basketball and there are some nights where the shots just don’t fall.”

You've got to be kidding me !
Many of the 3's were wide open.
3 games in a row they can't hit the 3-pointers.

3/19 vs Oklahoma City
5/21 vs Minnesota
4/17 vs Boston

That's awful !

VI_Massive
03-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I thought there were a lot of open looks that either got passed up or our guys didn't have a quick enough release on. Maybe its a team mentality -- when they're all struggling from behind the arc they get hesitant and pass up good looks when they should just catch and shoot without thinking too much. Either that or Boston was closing out a lot better than it looked on TV because I thought many of our 3 pt shooters passed up good open looks that could have gotten us points and gotten us out of this 3 pt. rut.