PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Up Pressure On Spurs

duncan228
03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Rockets up pressure on Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Rockets_up_pressure_on_Spurs.html)

Moments after finishing off the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Houston Rockets were talking about the next game on their schedule.

Ron Artest scored 20 points and Aaron Brooks and Von Wafer added 13 apiece in Houston’s easy 107-88 win over Minnesota on Friday night.

The Rockets play in San Antonio on Sunday with first place in the Southwest Division on the line after the Spurs’ loss to Boston left Houston a half-game behind.

The Rockets’ season has been dotted with injuries, and they lost Tracy McGrady to a season-ending knee injury around the All-Star break. Even they’re a little surprised to be contending for a division title with only 11 games left in the regular season.

“Who would’ve thought we’d be here?” said forward Shane Battier, who scored 11 on Friday night. “We’ve stayed the course, stayed together and we’ve set ourselves up for this matchup.”

The Rockets will need a big game from Yao Ming on Sunday, but they didn’t need one against Minnesota.

Yao scored 14 points, but missed 10 of his 16 shots. He also had eight rebounds before leaving for good late in the third quarter. Houston had the game in hand by then, stretching their lead to 24 earlier in the quarter.

SpursDynasty
03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
They are still 2 games behind in the loss column. Even if they beat us, we're still the number 2 seed. Again, not a big game...

Ice009
03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
We can't be tied with them though can we? Who has the tie breaker if we finish 2-2 Vs the Rockets? Against nearly every other team we'd be losing the tie breaker. We need to finish one loss ahead of most teams.

Roxsfan
03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
There's no pressure. The spurs eat pressure for breakfast. The pressure is on the rox.

justinandimcool
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM
There is no pressure. The Spurs are gonna have to win on the road to win a title anyways. An extra round of not having home court wouldn't hurt. Hell they could fall to 7th place and they wouldn't be in that much worse of a position than they were as a 2 seed.

baseline bum
03-21-2009, 12:21 AM
If the Spurs can take this game, they take the tiebreaker, which essentially puts them 4 games above the Rockets in the loss column.

raspsa
03-21-2009, 02:43 AM
There is no pressure. The Spurs are gonna have to win on the road to win a title anyways. An extra round of not having home court wouldn't hurt. Hell they could fall to 7th place and they wouldn't be in that much worse of a position than they were as a 2 seed.

I agree with you on this. Homecourt avantage is nice to have but you still have to play the game and over a 7-game series the best team wins regardless of HCA. I actually like the Spurs starting a series off on the opponents homecourt and getting an early win rather than getting that first win in SA.

Lars
03-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Very nice late season division game. Gonna be a great game!

Indazone
03-21-2009, 03:12 AM
lot on the line with this game. Bragging rights to TX. Divisional standing in the SW division. Overall standing in the Western Conference. Bring it Rockets!!

NewJerSpur
03-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Bragging rights < advancing in the playoffs

The division or the standings isn't the end all either....just ask the 2008 Hornets.

crc21209
03-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Should be a good game, but the Spurs will bounce back for sure. This loss tonight stings bad....another thing...I hate when ppl say that we're up 1/2 a game or whatever, we have 23 losses, Houston has 25. End of story for now...we're up 2 on them in the L column..

03-21-2009, 04:29 AM
never hurts to have HCA. hornets came blazing out because the series started at NO. they became little energizer bunnies and surprised the spurs with their fearlessness. the series wouldn't have dragged on that long if it started in san antonio. hornets would have never been able to generate the kind of momentum they got playing at home and nailing the two victories. then the spurs may have lasted at least 6 games against the lakers.

NewJerSpur
03-21-2009, 04:35 AM
If your HCA is strong then it'll help your championship push that much more, but it guarantees nothing. Who's to say what would've happened had the series against the Hornets started in SA. Based on the pattern of the series, the home team would've won almost every single game except the most important one: Game 7.

baseline bum
03-21-2009, 05:22 AM
never hurts to have HCA. hornets came blazing out because the series started at NO. they became little energizer bunnies and surprised the spurs with their fearlessness. the series wouldn't have dragged on that long if it started in san antonio. hornets would have never been able to generate the kind of momentum they got playing at home and nailing the two victories. then the spurs may have lasted at least 6 games against the lakers.

I'd attribute that more to Shaq beating the shit out of all our guards in the Phoenix series, and the Spurs having nothing in the tank those first two games (they blew both of them in the second half after being decent in the first).

mytespurs
03-21-2009, 05:52 AM
This is going to be a good game. The Rockets are a talented team and could challenge anyone in the West if they ever get their collective heads together.

I hope the Spurs bounce back after last night's heartbreaking loss....you shouldn't lose those type of games, esepcially when you're mano to mano against a quality team....very disappointed in the team right now but I still love em but I don't see championship on the horizon the way they've been playing.

Rogue
03-21-2009, 06:13 AM
spurs will be an absolute different team when the postseason comes, what the spurs are doing is just saving energy and confusing their rivals with their pretendingly bad performances.

Rockets actually look good recently, but i still don't see any hope the rockets will make the second round this season. without tmac the rockets still can play good in the regular season but the postseason is quite different. rockets fans always blame tmac for their fails in the postseason ignoring the fact that tmac is their most effective player in the playoffs.

screw_ston713
03-21-2009, 06:47 AM
ok I see spurs keep saying look at the lost column, also look at the win column. Rockets are 46-25 21 games over .500 spurs are 45-23 22 games over .500. Rockets are only back a game or 1/2 game however that works. If rockets win they will be tied for 2nd then I guess div wins and losses go into account to see who wins the tie breaker.

screw_ston713
03-21-2009, 06:55 AM
also the only team I see knocking rockets out in the 1st round again out of those lower seeds is jazz. Dallas knocking rockets out um no, nuggets don't think so, Portland now that's a team that could prob challenge rockets. Hornets we own the tie breaker over both them and nuggets and one more against Dallas to win that series.

Rogue
03-21-2009, 07:05 AM
also the only team I see knocking rockets out in the 1st round again out of those lower seeds is jazz. Dallas knocking rockets out um no, nuggets don't think so, Portland now that's a team that could prob challenge rockets. Hornets we own the tie breaker over both them and nuggets and one more against Dallas to win that series.
postseason games are not the same as those of the regular season. games will significantly turn tougher when the postseason comes, which will perfectly explains why the first round is always the tombs to the teams which lack tough guys in the paint. yao and scola are pretty good but their softness is always the obstacle in front of their way to bring their team to the second round, carl landry's size makes him look more like a SF. a tough big guy is the basic equipment for a second round team, but the rockets just don't have such a guy, so there is no wonder they were knocked out by jazz in the past 2 yrs in a row.

screw_ston713
03-21-2009, 07:35 AM
postseason games are not the same as those of the regular season. games will significantly turn tougher when the postseason comes, which will perfectly explains why the first round is always the tombs to the teams which lack tough guys in the paint. yao and scola are pretty good but their softness is always the obstacle in front of their way to bring their team to the second round, carl landry's size makes him look more like a SF. a tough big guy is the basic equipment for a second round team, but the rockets just don't have such a guy, so there is no wonder they were knocked out by jazz in the past 2 yrs in a row. Yao and scola is far from soft yao is beat up night in and night out by players pushing and tugging and leaning on him. The reason jazz beat Rockets because simply they are a matchup nightmare. Jazz have perimeter big men who Yao cant gaurd. Okur is a center but sits out around the 3pt arch and shoot 3s and jumpers, and boozer can pull Yao out from the post and either shoot over Yao are blow past him for a dunk or a layup.

screw_ston713
03-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Mavs had bulky Dampier and a solid forward in bass but couldnt beat gsw who had no interior tough guy in the paint they were just simply out matched. Some teams just have your number.

djohn2oo8
03-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Bragging rights < advancing in the playoffs

The division or the standings isn't the end all either....just ask the 2008 Hornets.

Amen!!! The division lead means nothing, oh yeah and ask how the 2007 Mavs fared as the #1 seed. Rockets can beat anybody when they are on their game, they can win a first round series, but it's going to take the elements of a miracle to beat the lakers in round 2

wildbill2u
03-21-2009, 08:09 AM
In a thread earlier in the year about final standings or something, I predicted the Rockets would be tough to beat in the division.

Losing McGrady doesn't seem to have hurt them as much as you might think. In fact, some over here in Houston claim that the team chemistry is better without him and the Rockets continue to win.

If J van Gundy was still the coach I'd be more worried. He had them playing good defense last year. Adelman can't seem to get their attention.

screw_ston713
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
San Antonio2 45 23 0.662 0.0 29-12 9-4 24-10 21-13 6-4 L 1
Houston3 46 25 0.648 0.5 29-13 7-6 29-8 17-17 7-3 W 3 Even if Rockets win Sunday they would be a 3rd seed by percentage points because spurs has a better division record. 9-4

LEONARD
03-21-2009, 09:02 AM
They are still 2 games behind in the loss column. Even if they beat us, we're still the number 2 seed. Again, not a big game...

You're dumb

DaDakota
03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
The Rockets and Spurs are about as even a matchup as you can get, just one Michael Finley half court heave in the last game decided it...

Now, back in San Antonio...

Actually, Houston sort of blew the division this year...back in November up 10 with 4 minutes to go, when Tmac came in took the ball away from our PG and proceded to jack up clank after clank and the Spurs rallied.

I was sitting center court on that one....yikes !!

These two teams are about even in talent, with the Spurs having an edge in mental discipline...

Personally I hope they get the 2 and 3 seed and meet in the 2nd round...it would be a low scoring defensive WAR.

DD

tlongII
03-21-2009, 10:11 AM
If the Rockets win this game they will have a better conference record by a half-game. Conference record is the tie-breaker after head to head matchups.

Indazone
03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Rockets play good defense. The only thing I don't get is Adleman's rotation or subsitution pattern and I don't think Adleman gets it himself. Adleman admitted during one interview that he didn't get the substitution thing. When he started he played Yao the entire game no breaks. 48 Freaking minutes! Now at least he's holding him to 35 min per game but also he never plays Deke who is supposed to be Yao's backup. C'mon if you brought Deke to be Yao's backup then you expect Deke to play about 10 mpg. I suppose that Landry and Scola can play backup center but it's not the same with a 7 foot shot blocker in the middle. You give up scoring but you pick up rebounding and blocks with Deke.

SpursFanInAustin
03-21-2009, 10:34 AM
If the Rockets win this game they will have a better conference record by a half-game. Conference record is the tie-breaker after head to head matchups.

Loss column

Ron Ron Artest
03-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Loss column

Win column... If the Rockets win tomorrow, they will have two more wins than the Spurs and one more loss than the Spurs. They will also have a slightly higher winning percentage. (Spurs: .6522 ; Rockets: .6528)

I don't get what your deal is with the loss column. We'd still have two more wins.

weebo
03-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Win column... If the Rockets win tomorrow, they will have two more wins than the Spurs and one more loss than the Spurs. They will also have a slightly higher winning percentage. (Spurs: .6522 ; Rockets: .6528)

I don't get what your deal is with the loss column. We'd still have two more wins.

Won't matter..the Spurs won't lose tomorrow.

Spursfan092120
03-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Last time I checked, the Spurs were STILL ahead of Houston. Let's talk about this after Sunday afternoon.

Roxsfan
03-21-2009, 01:37 PM
spurs will be an absolute different team when the postseason comes, what the spurs are doing is just saving energy and confusing their rivals with their pretendingly bad performances.

Rockets actually look good recently, but i still don't see any hope the rockets will make the second round this season. without tmac the rockets still can play good in the regular season but the postseason is quite different. rockets fans always blame tmac for their fails in the postseason ignoring the fact that tmac is their most effective player in the playoffs.

It is usually a mavs fan that dogs tmac and the rox for not getting out of the first round. Now, you find more and more rox fans who do the same as you said. Tmac WAS our most effective player and rung up the stats b/c short of Yao, there was no one else who could score on their own and or draw a double team. That is not the case as the rox have numerous, young athletic scoring options and great defenders individually and as a team. Yao does need to play mad, if that happens watch out. Tmac is not able to play team ball and thus does not work in adelman's system--he does not move without the ball, cut, set picks etc--he either runs isos when healthy, jack up a j shot that seems to never go in now and shoot low %tage 3s or just sit at the key and pass the ball--never drives, attacks, etc.......Rox play better without him--but in the playoffs the team will have to work their magic to close out close games by defending, no turnovers, attacking, cutting, and making freethrows and riding yao's dominance and the rox depth. I just don't want Utah in the first round as that is a matchup issue and the refs shove their whistles deep up their assholes and only use them if someone is decapitated. Oh, and with Ron A., he will either wow you with superstar 3s, raming it down the middle to the hole, defending, stealing and sealing the game with a clutch shot or he will be cold from the field, lose the ball and or refuse to defer to Yao. I hope it's the former.

Agloco
03-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Should be a good game, but the Spurs will bounce back for sure. This loss tonight stings bad....another thing...I hate when ppl say that we're up 1/2 a game or whatever, we have 23 losses, Houston has 25. End of story for now...we're up 2 on them in the L column..

I really don't understand why sportscasters do that. Maybe it's to not confuse the lay-person.

Agloco
03-21-2009, 01:59 PM

The maximum wins you could have at the end of the season would still be less though. If teams didn't play the same amount of games your point might be valid; But since they do, the loss column is the only one that matters.

To illustrate my point, simply project each teams record to 82 games if they won all of their remaining games.

Spurs 59-23; Rockets 57-25

It's not possible for the Rockets to win more than 57, while the Spurs can still win 59. even with a loss to you on Sunday, that maximum falls to 58, still more than the Rockets.

Ron Ron Artest
03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
The maximum wins you could have at the end of the season would still be less though. If teams didn't play the same amount of games your point might be valid; But since they do, the loss column is the only one that matters.

To illustrate my point, simply project each teams record to 82 games if they won all of their remaining games.

It's not possible for the Rockets to win more than 57, while the Spurs can still win 59. even with a loss to you on Sunday, that maximum falls to 58, still more than the Rockets.

I realize they can still win more games than the rockets, but what does that have to do with pointing out the loss column at this point. Its the same thing as pointing out the win column... both wont matter until all the games are played anyway. Besides, when the rockets win tomorrow, they will still have a higher winning percentage by a very small margin

timaios
03-21-2009, 07:35 PM

No... You're wrong.

TWO-WAY TIES

1. Results of games against each other.

2. Better winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).

3. Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

4. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

5. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

6. Better point differential between offense and defense.

Playoff Tiebreaker explanation
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/7164305

crc21209
03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
The Rockets still have 2 more losses than us....only reason they would "take the divison lead" is because they have played 1 or 2 more games than us and have 1 more win than us as well...

SpursFanInAustin
03-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Well if Houston manages to beat SA Sunday, and both teams win out thereafter, since Houston has played more games up to this point, SA would finish 58-24 and Houston at 57-25, thus making the loss column more magnifying than the wins.

crc21209
03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Well if Houston manages to beat SA Sunday, and both teams win out thereafter, since Houston has played more games up to this point, SA would finish 58-24 and Houston at 57-25, thus making the loss column more magnifying than the wins.

That is why I think this whole "Game for the Divison lead on the line" crap is kinda dumb, because to me right now the important thing is the loss column, and Houston still has 2 more L's than us right now.

Allanon
03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Having the #2 spot, is good not just for HCA but the #2 seed wouldn't face the Lakers until the WCF.

sook
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Exactly, what people need to understand is that all NBA teams play 81 games. The spurs have less losses and 1 more win that means they have more games left to play

timaios
03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Having the #2 spot, is good not just for HCA but the #2 seed wouldn't face the Lakers until the WCF.

The #3 seed wouldn't face the Lakers until the WCF either.

And don't forget the Hornets.
It's a 3 teams race for the SW division.

tlongII
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Exactly, what people need to understand is that all NBA teams play 81 games. The spurs have less losses and 1 more win that means they have more games left to play

That's weird. I thought all NBA teams played 82 games?

Agloco
03-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Amen!!! The division lead means nothing, oh yeah and ask how the 2007 Mavs fared as the #1 seed. Rockets can beat anybody when they are on their game, they can win a first round series, but it's going to take the elements of a miracle to beat the lakers in round 2

The irony of it all with T Mac being out. :wow

Agloco
03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I realize they can still win more games than the rockets, but what does that have to do with pointing out the loss column at this point. Its the same thing as pointing out the win column... both wont matter until all the games are played anyway. Besides, when the rockets win tomorrow, they will still have a higher winning percentage by a very small margin

Looking beyond this will only confuse you young grasshopper.....

Agloco
03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Thought it was divisional records first?

SpursDynasty
03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
This game is so NOT the game everyone is building it up to be.

The Houston Rockets challenging the Spurs for the #2 seed? No.

The Rockets might come out, make a few shots, get some calls here and there, but no one is intimidated by them...the Spurs win this one by the beginning of the 4th. I doubt TD and TP even play in the 4th. Again, not a big game...

djohn2oo8
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM

The Rockets might come out, make a few shots, get some calls here and there, but no one is intimidated by them...the Spurs win this one by the beginning of the 4th. I doubt TD and TP even play in the 4th. Again, not a big game...

Good, that's much better than being a target such as the Lakers

Ron Ron Artest
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM

another great call

sook
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM
That's weird. I thought all NBA teams played 82 games?

lol i typed it in wrong :p:

Roxsfan
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
another great call

no shit, he needs to shut his fucking zero IQ dumb fucking ass.