PDA

View Full Version : Theory on Tim's struggles

TDfan2007
03-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Watching Tim play tonight I didn't notice too much of a difference between this Tim and the Tim at the start of the season. Tim hasn't had foot speed since 2005 and I honestly don't see too much of a difference athletically between this Tim and the Tim of last year's playoffs. I truly believe Tim's biggest problem is not getting into a rhythm. I think he's not able to practice as much/hard because of his knee and as a result his shooting and consistency have suffered. He got a lot of good looks tonight, but just couldn't hit them.

I think he just needs one game. One game where the shot just falls and keeps falling. He just needs something to boost his confidence, which at this point is probably in the shitter.

Tim's rebounding better than he was early in the season, his defense has improved, and his passing is as good as ever. He just needs something to fall on offense.

siraulo23
03-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Right~

Rogue
03-21-2009, 07:10 AM
absolutely true. Duncan's truggles are more of act than real pain, also manu for that matter.

Summers
03-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I didn't notice too much of a difference between this Tim and the Tim at the start of the season.

You didn't? To me, there's a huge difference.

raspsa
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, Timmy is hurting. Its very noticeable from his agility and mobility at the start of the season. As I posted in another thread, its ironic that Timmy went thru such a gruelling offseason workout flipping tires, running up hills, etc.. no doubt these took a toll on his knees and now he has to suffer.. sad.

smrattler
03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
I see a big difference too. Earlier in the season, he looked great, his quick moves, explosiveness, lift and extension, activeness on defense. All that looks lacking now and probably in pain.

No TD = early exit.

DaDakota
03-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Lots of wear and tear on his body, but he has never been about the quickness anyway, he is about intelligence...and fundamentals.

A great great player.....admittadly, he is not Scola, but still a great player.

;)

DD

tlongII
03-21-2009, 09:56 AM
He had to carry the team earlier in the season without Ginobili and Parker and he played too many minutes. I said as much at the time. The problem with his knees is chronic in nature and I knew that this would happen. It's probably the main reason why I don't think the Spurs have any chance at all at capturing a title this year. The only way they can win another championship is with a "fresh" Duncan going into the playoffs. I doubt that will ever happen again.

peskypesky
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Timmy is hurting. Its very noticeable from his agility and mobility at the start of the season. As I posted in another thread, its ironic that Timmy went thru such a gruelling offseason workout flipping tires, running up hills, etc.. no doubt these took a toll on his knees and now he has to suffer.. sad.

If what you say is true about his off-season workout, it seems pretty idiotic. There are ways to work out that are not as damaging to the body, especially the knees.

TDfan2007
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
You didn't? To me, there's a huge difference.

IMO he may have lost a half step, but nothing big. He's been slow for a while now. Honestly I think he's had this knee problem all season, but it's just getting worse now. I think that the knee is now so bad that he can't practice as much and as a result his shot is suffering. Last night and the night against Houston he got all the looks he wanted, but just couldn't knock them down. He's also hesitating way too much. He just needs a game for a confidence boost. I don't think he's going to be 100% for the playoffs, but as long as he's in a rhythm shooting-wise I like our chances a lot more.

[edit] in retrospect I think that this injury has affected his LIFT on shots, which could explain his recent lack of confidence/hesitation in his jumper. Other than that I'm not noticing too much of a difference between this Timmy and early season Timmy.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
That's my #1 concern for the playoffs. Doesn't matter how healthy Ginobili is (although having him at or near 100% obviously helps) the fact is, without TD being at least 90% the Spurs aren't going to have much of a chance.

I think even a 100% healthy Spurs team would have a tough enough time getting past the Lakers or going all the way, but with a 60-70% Duncan?

Forget about it.

I only hope he somehow is able to get better come playoff time. I really liked Duncan's defense last night, he at least seemed more active in that regard.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Watching Tim play tonight I didn't notice too much of a difference between this Tim and the Tim at the start of the season. Tim hasn't had foot speed since 2005 and I honestly don't see too much of a difference athletically between this Tim and the Tim of last year's playoffs. I truly believe Tim's biggest problem is not getting into a rhythm. I think he's not able to practice as much/hard because of his knee and as a result his shooting and consistency have suffered. He got a lot of good looks tonight, but just couldn't hit them.

I think he just needs one game. One game where the shot just falls and keeps falling. He just needs something to boost his confidence, which at this point is probably in the shitter.

Tim's rebounding better than he was early in the season, his defense has improved, and his passing is as good as ever. He just needs something to fall on offense.

He also needs new tendons, but that's just a minor issue right? :rolleyes

RollingBlackOut
03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Reason Tim is struggling is because he has been playing Center the past two years. That is a lot of wear on his body.

Get well Tim.