PDA

View Full Version : 10 thoughts on last nights game

Gant
03-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a few thoughts on this game as a Celtics fan:

1) Uncharacteristic

The Spurs are the best shooting 3 point team in the league but had an off night. The Celtics are the highest turnover team in the league but held on to the ball.

2) Defenders

Bowen and Perkins both had great nights defensively. Bowen was terrific, and Perkins managed to play the entire game without a foul. I don't believe that's ever happened before.

3) New Guys

Boston is trying to slowly work two new players into their lineup.
Mikki Moore had a pretty good game. He's rebounding better than expected (his rep was pretty low in this regard).
Marbury with a year layoff is very gradually getting his legs back. The funny thing is he's deferring too much when everyone feared he'd be ball hogging. When his shot starts falling he'll be a huge addition. The Celtics really need him since their offense stagnates when Rondo sits (similar to the Spurs when Parker isn't playing).
Likewise Gooden is adapting to the Spurs. He can help. He's strong on the boards and can stretch the defense with his baseline jumper.

4) Points

Wonderful game by Parker except for the inexplicable ending. He was magnificent in the first quarter.
Rondo looked like he is still a little bothered by the ankle as his lateral movement and explosiveness weren't up to par. He had a good distribution game though.
(Duncan looked like he was going through the same thing physically only moreso.)

5) Pierce

Pierce got smothered by Bowen and the Spurs defense but rebounded very well. I was impressed that he passed the ball to Davis at the end instead of forcing it up. Big Baby has been working on that jumper all season and it's starting to fall for him now.

6) Garnett

The big news for Boston is Garnett played and moved fluidly. The fact that he hit his shots in the second half is gravy. The big battle is getting him back at full speed after the knee injury.
The Spurs are obviously in the same situation needing Manu back.

7) Banged Up

Both teams must have health for the playoffs. They are in very similar situations and are desperately trying to go into the playoffs at full speed. Each club is capable of taking the title if that happens.
Like the Spurs the Celtics have been destroyed by injuries over the last month. They lost all four of their power forwards recently and were playing small forwards at the 4. They were playing pretty well without Garnett until they lost Rondo, Powe and Baby all at the same time.

8) Team Defense

Very strong for both teams. Boston took a few games off on D recently. Having Garnett back even just standing on the sidelines made a big difference.

9) Coaches

Doc could learn a thing from Pop (and maybe has, holding KG to 7 minutes per half) about resting his main guys. I love the way the Spurs manage their minutes in the regular season.

!0) See You In June I Hope

Best of luck to the Spurs. I hope you stomp LA and meet the Celtics in the Finals!

Spursmania
03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Props to Boston for a good game.:toast
Hope to see you in the finals. Good luck with beating the Cavs.

Gant
03-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Props to Boston for a good game.:toast
Hope to see you in the finals. Good luck with beating the Cavs.

Thanks! The way the Cavs are playing it might be needed. (Though the Celtics kicked their asses without Garnett in the last game.)

SpursFanFirst
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
nice post, Gant.
And welcome to the forum!

mrsmaalox
03-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I enjoyed reading this, thanks :)

peskypesky
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Bowen look really good last night...I think Pop's strategy of saving him for the playoffs may be working.

The return of Manu will help, obviously, and as Gooden becomes more familiar with the schemes, he will see more minutes.

Those are the three upsides.

But all three upsides may be for naught because of the one big downside....Timmy's knees.

hater
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Bowen is a raging bull

Manudona
03-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice post Gant, it would be good to read more during the finals :)

Creation88
03-21-2009, 12:10 PM
went to the game and saw it differently:

1) mental weakness- you don't miss 6 pts in the final 3 minutes to blow a game against a good team

2) Perkins and Big Baby do more than people think. the owned Tim Duncan all night.

3) what the fuck is Pop thinking NOT playing Gooden and Tim together?

4) in the middle of the 3rd Quarter a fan made more 3s and had a better % than Finley, Bonner, and Mason combined: 6/9 to 4/14.

5) Tony single-handedly carried the team. he had a good game.

6) that slap to the face of Tony by Allen was a bullshit no call and help swing momentum.

7) our 2nd team offense is absolutely terrible. Mason at point cannot handle the rock and create for other players. this will be our downfall (the 2nd team inefficiency) if they don't get it together.

8) Laker fan saying "it's over" at a game that did not involve his team is a d-bag

9) rest Tim for the rest of the season and get him healthy

10) the importance of what Manu brings on the court (cutting and slicing) and emotionally (energy and focus) is really understated

Agloco
03-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Bowen is a raging bull

+1

Hopefully this is the Bruce we see from here on out.

bdictjames
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I say the spurs need to go back to basics and start:

TP/Manu/Bowen/TD/Oberto

that was the lineup that gave us our last championship

them the second unit squad could be:

Hill
Mason
Findog
Gooden
KT

not bad,dont you think???
5 players who have been sticking with each other for at least 3 years. I like this one, I hope Pop uses it.

SenorSpur
03-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Great read, and yes, Bowen looked really solid.

Older teams are more susceptible to injury - Celtics and Spurs - no coincidence.

Gant
03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Big Baby carried the momentum from that last shot into the next game. He just got his career high in Memphis. 24 points in 29 minutes on 8 for 11 shooting.

Morg1411
03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice post, Gant. Boston is my favorite team in the East, and nothing would thrill me more than to see these two squads make it to the Finals. Good luck, and hopefully we'll see you then!

GSH
03-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Nice post, Gant. Boston is my favorite team in the East, and nothing would thrill me more than to see these two squads make it to the Finals. Good luck, and hopefully we'll see you then!

I had 10 thoughts after last night's game. All of them were "Fuck!"

Nice to have a fan from another team who actually talks about basketball.

NewJerSpur
03-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks! The way the Cavs are playing it might be needed. (Though the Celtics kicked their asses without Garnett in the last game.)

That was at the Garden though. When the Cavs play in Cleveland, it's harder for the refs to see LeBron constantly using his off arm to propel himself past defenders as he takes a good 3 to 4 steps (without a dribble) towards the rack with their awe of his greatness in the way. I personally would love to see the Spurs and Celts in the finals, the way it should have been last year.

jag
03-22-2009, 01:43 AM
I say the spurs need to go back to basics and start:

TP/Manu/Bowen/TD/Oberto

that was the lineup that gave us our last championship

them the second unit squad could be:

Hill
Mason
Findog
Gooden
KT

not bad,dont you think???

I think Manu coming off the bench was a great idea and that's why he didn't start during that entire postseason. So i'm not sure what starting lineup you're actually referring to.

Gant
03-22-2009, 08:24 AM
That was at the Garden though. When the Cavs play in Cleveland, it's harder for the refs to see LeBron constantly using his off arm to propel himself past defenders as he takes a good 3 to 4 steps (without a dribble) towards the rack with their awe of his greatness in the way. I personally would love to see the Spurs and Celts in the finals, the way it should have been last year.

There's no doubt you're right about the homecourt- at least that's the way it's been for Cleveland against everybody. I like it's been like 16 games since either Cleveland or Boston has lost to the other one at home, including the playoffs.

The Cavs have homecourt so if they win because of that they earned it. But if the Celtics are healthy I like their chances on the road.

The Spurs and Celtics are just so similar in many ways- veteran led, poised, struggling for health. Rondo and Parker are both slashing quick points who drive first. Duncan and Garnett are hall of fame PFs who have been compared through their careers. Killer wings in Manu, Pierce, and Ray Allen. Teams who play defense first and can nail the three.

Both teams will look a lot different in a few years, but their championship windows are still open right now.

I really hope it's the Spurs in the Finals. I just do not like watching the Lakers and think San Antonio is the likeliest team to derail them in the West. If the Spurs hadn't been hurt all year they'd be right up there for the league's best record.