PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0 port only working at 1.1 speed...

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a small problem. None of my USB 2.0 ports seems to be working at the speed it should. In fact, they're not even recognised as HiSpeed USB 2.0 ports at all. I have a XFX nForce 780i SLI motherboard, which in theory carries plenty of USB 2.0 ports... in theory.

I'm pretty sure this is just a driver problem probably, but I've already tried downloading the latest chipset drivers and nothing is working. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

P.S. I use the USB 2.0 ports to upload recorded material from my HVX200A P2 cards, which normally shouldn't take more than a few minutes at most. Its currently taking me around 3 hours to download a whole card... ridiculous.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Could be a virus, spyware, or a hardware/software conflict. Did you check them in your control panel for problems?

Best bet is to format your hard drive and start a new fresh install of your OS.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Could be a virus, spyware, or a hardware/software conflict. Did you check them in your control panel for problems?

:wtf way, way too early for that. I'd like to exhaust all my options before I do anything like that.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
yo try using the USB ports behind the tower direct from the mobo, instead of the towers head unit.....

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
yo try using the USB ports behind the tower direct from the mobo, instead of the towers head unit.....

I did. Did not work. Still, the motherboard is supposed to have 10 USB 2.0 ports. I don't even think it has any strictly 1.1 ports. So even the head unit should be 2.0.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I currently have Vista Ultimate 64 installed. Could it be something the matter with that?

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I currently have Vista Ultimate 64 installed. Could it be something the matter with that?

Did you do a windows update?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Did you do a windows update?

as in downloaded SP1? or reinstalled the OS?

I have SP1

Slomo
03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a driver issue.

But sometimes it pays to check the most stupid thing: the cable - have you tried with another cable?

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 01:39 PM
:wtf way, way too early for that. I'd like to exhaust all my options before I do anything like that.

Why?

I format quite frequently (3-4 times per year). It's the safest way to keep your computer clean.

Just back up all the files you need to another HDD (assuming you have one) and format. Let the computer update overnight, and you have a completely new rig in the morning.

An admin I know formats monthly. Solves almost every problem right away, if there is one.

It also has the added benefit of almost completely removing software from the equation. If you format and you STILL get 1.1 speeds, it's almost definitely hardware.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Why?

I format quite frequently (3-4 times per year). It's the safest way to keep your computer clean.

Just back up all the files you need to another HDD (assuming you have one) and format. Let the computer update overnight, and you have a completely new rig in the morning.

An admin I know formats monthly. Solves almost every problem right away, if there is one.

It also has the added benefit of almost completely removing software from the equation. If you format and you STILL get 1.1 speeds, it's almost definitely hardware.

to be honest, I don't feel completely comfortable formatting. I have all the CDs necessary I believe, but I'm not entirely sure as to how formatting works.

Shouldn't I be able to install windows again, or do a repair?

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 03:56 PM
why is everyone always so quick to format? that never ever teaches you shit nor does it always fix the problem at hand.

your best bet is to search on google and not take advice from ST.

ps: might wanna just scrap the ports you have now and spend a measly $20 on some new ones.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
why is everyone always so quick to format? that never ever teaches you shit nor does it always fix the problem at hand.

ps: might wanna just scrap the ports you have now and spend a measly $20 on some new ones.

right... so I shouldn't be quick to format, but going out and buying a new USB hub is the answer??

Give me a break. I've been coming to ST for help for years and they've never disspointed me.

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 04:42 PM
right... so I shouldn't be quick to format, but going out and buying a new USB hub is the answer??

Give me a break. I've been coming to ST for help for years and they've never disspointed me.

oh man some of you just have an itch up your asses that you can't scratch huh?

so some on ST might be able to help ya out with computer problems but the majority who do not will say, "just reformat". reformatting a hd is never the answer!

if all other options are exhausted then yes going out and buying some new usb ports could be a better option then reformatting. yes. i'd look at spending $10-$20 anyday over reformatting my hd.

i used to tell everyone when i was way younger to just reformat but that's just ignorant.

Illuminati
03-21-2009, 04:45 PM

^ So you never wipe your ass you just buy new boxers? What good is a new USB ports if your HD is infected? There is no way all USB ports went bad at once. And anyone who downloads movies/games/music online should be lucky their computer is still booting up after 12 months,

Formatting the HD is like douching, its good once in a while to remove the germs. You want to make love to a girl who only uses baby wipes after sex?

Besides there is a ton of software that will retrieve all your lost data if your so worried about that Joanna Brothers cd you finally found on iTunes.

Try booting up in safe mode and see what happens.

or test your USB

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5239&file=15&evp=46643e63d33aff3494cf8ca57313e728

do an Avast boot up scan and tell us how many infections you have. :tu

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2239_4-10019223&ontId=2239_4&spi=91aa3e1f0e0eb70093daa56be5cdb64c&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=11014091&mfgId=85737&merId=85737&pguid=8gJp-woPjF8AAEaiELYAAAEK&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-2239_4-10019223.html%3Fspi%3D91aa3e1f0e0eb70093daa56be5cd b64c

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 04:49 PM

that's what i would of suggested.

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 04:53 PM
And anyone who downloads movies/games/music online should be lucky their computer is still booting up after 12 months.

you never cease to amaze me mouse... 3 yrs, never reformatted my old pc hd. it got infected a couple times, and had some minor hardware problems, but not once did i reformat the drive. wanna debunk that mr illuminati?

go get your foil cap out of retirement.

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM

:lmao

Let me see if I understand your logic.

You shouldn't format, because that's a quick fix and won't teach you anything.

But you SHOULD go spend $20 for a new set of USB ports, as that will teach you everything you need to know.

Could you possibly be more contradictory in two sentences within the same post? Maybe, but I have yet to see it.

Illuminati
03-21-2009, 05:27 PM
3 yrs, never reformatted my old pc hd. it got infected a couple times, not once did i reformat the drive..

And I know girls who never douche whats your point?

Another thing Illuminati (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15995) is real there is no need for bigfoot thoeries or conspiracies. therefore the foil cap is not needed.

kumar.
03-21-2009, 05:31 PM
MaNuMaNiAc (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=887)

Try a system restore a week before the problem..

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
ah fuck it... que in the I HAVE A MAC SO FUCK IT!

here's a quick fix for all you pc users... LINUX!

Cry Havoc
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
ah fuck it... que in the I HAVE A MAC SO FUCK IT!

here's a quick fix for all you pc users... LINUX!

Or just sensible use of the system. Macs have their own share of problems. Most notably the fact that they are so idiot-proof it reduces their effectiveness.

koriwhat
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Or just sensible use of the system. Macs have their own share of problems. Most notably the fact that they are so idiot-proof it reduces their effectiveness.

huh?

well if effectiveness means more problems then i guess i'll just stick with my mac. good ol' idiot-proof-just-fuckin-works-the-way-it-should mac.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
is it plug directly into the usb socket?

or does ur shit connects though a cable that connects to the usb socket? cause its the cable.....

Blue Jew
03-22-2009, 01:13 AM
koriwhat is always online his shit must be good listen to the vato! :tu

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 01:43 AM
huh?

well if effectiveness means more problems then i guess i'll just stick with my mac. good ol' idiot-proof-just-fuckin-works-the-way-it-should mac.

Yep, your good old $600 markup for looks poor warranty coverage intel based yuppie noob-puter.

Bravo for making this a PC vs. Mac thread after being called out for being hypocritical, by the way. Really helps the OP out a lot.

"My mac is sooooooooo superior, I just don't get why everyone else wont' pay 40% more for something shiny!"

Exactly the reason why people hate Apple owners in the first place.

velik_m
03-22-2009, 02:20 AM

WTF? No. Reformating should be the last resort, not the first.

MaNuMaNiAc check if it really is a motherboard problem, the problem could be in the cable, or the device your plugging in. Also make sure you have up-to date system. Did you have this problem from the start or did it just appear? What does it say about your USB in the device manager?

Also google is your friend.

koriwhat
03-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Yep, your good old $600 markup for looks poor warranty coverage intel based yuppie noob-puter.

Bravo for making this a PC vs. Mac thread after being called out for being hypocritical, by the way. Really helps the OP out a lot.

"My mac is sooooooooo superior, I just don't get why everyone else wont' pay 40% more for something shiny!"

Exactly the reason why people hate Apple owners in the first place.

hate all you want but i know the real reason... jealousy! yep yep! the truth hurts.

and i tried to help and make a suggestion but yall are just pissy bitches on this forum, or at least a few of you pissy bitches are.

ps: $600 for looks? hahaha. you've got to be the biggest shit head so far in regard to computers that i have yet to meet. $600 is a small price to pay for something that fuckin' works! not something you gotta work on. get it straight dipshit. you got a piece of shit and i have a ferrari. yep yep. dumbfuck.

koriwhat
03-22-2009, 02:46 AM

MaNuMaNiAc check if it really is a motherboard problem, the problem could be in the cable, or the device your plugging in. Also make sure you have up-to date system. Did you have this problem from the start or did it just appear? What does it say about your USB in the device manager?

you're the only sensible person here besides myself. i guess us "don't reformat unless you've exhausted every other option" type of people don't fit in in this bs conversation. i guess you gotta be a complete dumbfuck to give input on a simple pc problem.

koriwhat
03-22-2009, 02:48 AM
oh cryhavoc i just realized you're the dumbfuck who first suggested reformatting his drive... must hurt when you know you're so damn wrong! yeah maybe computers aren't for you. they definitely aren't for the simple minded. retard!

Hustle & Flow
03-22-2009, 05:37 AM
oh cryhavoc i just realized you're the dumbfuck who first suggested reformatting his drive... must hurt when you know you're so damn wrong! yeah maybe computers aren't for you. they definitely aren't for the simple minded. retard!

Hey Steve Jobs!
did it ever occur to you that maybe the advise some these people gave to format was because they already know at the end that is probably what the topic starter may end up having to do? Maybe there is a slight possibility they have seen this problem in the forum before?
And why not let the topic starter decide what he is going to do it may cut down on many of your red bull educed insults you seem to have on your hip like a loaded six shooter.

Maybe your better off in a topic your really suited for that show cases your expertise.

My best friend is white, and my white girlfriend thinks I am a sellout (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

haha i'm a short white dude but i like to get down... freak-a-leak ya know?! i like my women the same! if you ain't movin' then i ain't wastin' my time. simple as that. i'll break it off but i ain't wow'n ya.

ps: no asians! atleast no more koreans for me.

I personally stop helping people in this forum they never give you an update on what they finally decided to do. And after all the shit you made others go though in this topic I think they deserve an update.

koriwhat
03-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey Steve Jobs!
did it ever occur to you that maybe the advise some these people gave to format was because they already know at the end that is probably what the topic starter may end up having to do? Maybe there is a slight possibility they have seen this problem in the forum before?
And why not let the topic starter decide what he is going to do it may cut down on many of your red bull educed insults you seem to have on your hip like a loaded six shooter.

Maybe your better off in a topic your really suited for that show cases your expertise.

My best friend is white, and my white girlfriend thinks I am a sellout (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

I personally stop helping people in this forum they never give you an update on what they finally decided to do. And after all the shit you made others go though in this topic I think they deserve an update.

like always you never disappoint...

you come storming at me like my mother used to down the corridors of our house when she wanted to be heard. boom boom boom!

now i love my mom and all but it gets a bit old. you know, the bs and the constant naggin'. yep. can i call you mom, mouse?

you're exactly how your screen name describes you... a damn mouse. a pest.

hey mom! do i really gotta clean my room right now?

ps: so you know how i like my women now? cool... and what exactly are you trying to point out here? that i like women? well well well lets spin this a bit on ya the old mouse way... you don't like women, mouse? but but but you you said blah blah blah blah blah and blah some more... so you must not like women, mouse... you mustn't? i mean, you're trying to dog me for like kinking shit, and so what if i do, i like to get the fuck down, and you? you? you don't? so the photochop i did of you is legit? oh well that's a relief.

MiamiHeat.
03-22-2009, 07:37 AM
How do you know he is mouse?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Jesus fucking christ! SHUT THE FUCK UP koriwhat! You annoying fucking cunt! Go be a dick somewhere else and let the people that actually bother posting to help, do so without having to read your bullshit.

To everyone that tried to help, thanks for the advice.

Slomo - It might be a driver problem, but I've already tried reinstalling everything I could short of the OS.

Cry Havoc - If I can't fix the problem any other way, you can bet my next move is going to be a format and OS reinstall.

velik_m - To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure. This is the first time I get this problem with a USB device on this computer. The PC is only a few months old, and I've only recently gotten my camera. I believe this is the first time I encounter a strictly USB 2.0 device, so like I said, I'm not entirely sure... could definately be a problem from the onset, which would render any system restore pointless.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. You can always count on Spurstalk to at least give it a shot :tu

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Good points, but the reason I suggested formatting is because it seems like he's already looked around a bit by himself. ManuM doesn't seem the type to come here first, judging by his post he has looked around a bit and tried a few things. My guess is that his technical knowledge isn't high enough that he wants to go messing with his system registry.

If this wasn't such a big problem, I would suggest finding a more docile solution. But a computer with malfunctioning USB ports is a relatively tough problem, and IMO the user needs to know if it's software or hardware caused. If you can eliminate one of them, that's a big help in fixing the problem.

Jesus fucking christ! SHUT THE FUCK UP koriwhat! You annoying fucking cunt! Go be a dick somewhere else and let the people that actually bother posting to help, do so without having to read your bullshit.

Well said.

Cry Havoc - If I can't fix the problem any other way, you can bet my next move is going to be a format and OS reinstall.

Hey, if you need to, either google the steps if you can on another computer or print them out. You can also contact me via PM and I'll give you my personal info in case you need direct support for the format process. It's really simple, though.

hate all you want but i know the real reason... jealousy! yep yep! the truth hurts.

and i tried to help and make a suggestion but yall are just pissy bitches on this forum, or at least a few of you pissy bitches are.

ps: $600 for looks? hahaha. you've got to be the biggest shit head so far in regard to computers that i have yet to meet. $600 is a small price to pay for something that fuckin' works! not something you gotta work on. get it straight dipshit. you got a piece of shit and i have a ferrari. yep yep. dumbfuck.

Sorry guys, I have to respond to this. Yep, I'm jealous. :lol

Let's take a look at my "piece of shit".

Intel Quad Core Q6600 Processor 2.4 Ghz overclocked to 3.0 Ghz.
4 GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM PC3-8500 clocked at 1066 mhz.
250 GB Western Digital HDD 7200 rpm
1.0 Terabyte, 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm Seagate HDD with perpendicular recording technology
Crossfire Ready Sapphire Radeon 4870 512 mb Graphical Processing Unit with Direct X10 processing
Acer 22" Widescreen Display, native resolution 1650x1080.

I paid, in total, about $1300 for the system (April of 08). It's fully warrantied and I have had zero problems with it so far. The only change I've made is swapping out the old vid card for the 4870. When I bought it, it included a HUGE bundle of software (CoD4, Microsoft Flight Sim X, World in Conflict, several other games) and included a Windows installation.

Now let's take a look at Apple. The only system offering high powered discrete graphics is the Mac Pro.

*browses on over to Apple.com*

Quad Core starting at $2499 :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

with a Geforce 120 graphics card! :lmao :lmao :lmao

So unless you're telling me you paid $3,000+ for your system, your "Ferrari" would get it's guts stomped out by my "piece of shit" in every single graphical processing task on the market, and costs less than half the price even nearly a year later.

My guess is you're on a "cool" little Starbucks laptop that can't even handle 3dmark06. And by the way, don't bother bragging about your rig unless you can post pictures. Keep talking shit though, little Apple fanboy, it's SO fun to put you in your place.

Re-Animator
03-22-2009, 12:02 PM
To everyone that tried to help, thanks for the advice.

Slomo -
Cry Havoc -

velik_m

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. You can always count on Spurstalk to at least give it a shot :tu

I think you left a few out, did you not like the system restore idea?

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 12:10 PM

:rolleyes

Do you care that much about being thanked?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

I wasn't thanking them alone. I singled them out because their advises covered pretty much every scenario mentioned. The system restore idea, like I said, is pretty much obsolete since I'm almost sure the problem isn't a new one, but has been like that since I bought the damn thing.

Either way, thanks for the advice :tu

Re-Animator
03-22-2009, 03:09 PM
:rolleyes

Do you care that much about being thanked?

After having to put up with koriwhat and still try and help out? A spur under my avatar is more like it!

It's not really a thank you I wanted, but it shows an acknowledgment of the input. Thank you kinda means " hey I read your post" I will take your advise.
And still I haven't read if he did any of the advise that was given.
So no, I rather have a "I tried system restore but it didn't take"
than a "thank you" and for him to not really do anything that was posted.

Maybe your time isn't worth much my time is a precious commodity and don't ever forget that!

Besides, your sister thanked me for last night so its all good brah! :toast

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
After having to put up with koriwhat and still try and help out? A spur under my avatar is more like it!

Eh, I dunno. koriwhat is pretty entertaining. It's hard to find someone who's more of an internet tough guy on these boards. :lol

It's not really a thank you I wanted, but it shows an acknowledgment of the input. Thank you kinda means " hey I read your post" I will take your advise.
And still I haven't read if he did any of the advise that was given.
So no, I rather have a "I tried system restore but it didn't take"
than a "thank you" and for him to not really do anything that was posted.

Fair enough.

Maybe your time isn't worth much my time is a precious commodity and don't ever forget that!

Perhaps you should actually learn to read the thread, as he actually did cover your advice:

I believe this is the first time I encounter a strictly USB 2.0 device, so like I said, I'm not entirely sure... could definately be a problem from the onset, which would render any system restore pointless.

Besides, your sister thanked me for last night so its all good brah! :toast

:lol Classy. But I don't have a sister.

balli
03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
What's wrong with suggesting a re-format/system restore? Hell, even if there wasn't a single damn thing wrong with MM's 2.0's I still think it would be a good idea. I reboot my xp every few months just out of general paranoia and as soon as something goes wrong with my computer that a simple registry/virus scan doesn't solve, I reboot then too. Best thing one can do for one's machine.

koriwhat
03-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry guys, I have to respond to this. Yep, I'm jealous. :lol

Let's take a look at my "piece of shit".

Intel Quad Core Q6600 Processor 2.4 Ghz overclocked to 3.0 Ghz.
4 GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM PC3-8500 clocked at 1066 mhz.
250 GB Western Digital HDD 7200 rpm
1.0 Terabyte, 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm Seagate HDD with perpendicular recording technology
Crossfire Ready Sapphire Radeon 4870 512 mb Graphical Processing Unit with Direct X10 processing
Acer 22" Widescreen Display, native resolution 1650x1080.

i'd still be jealous of any mac! it's not the pc hardware that's the problem here, it's the OS and yet some of you can't get that through your heads. it's simple really, osx is far superior to winOS no matter how you spin it. i'm no fanboy, it's just the truth.

i have built, fixed, tweaked, etc pc's for well over 12 yrs and have seen all sorts of shit happen to them. a bunch of headaches later i realized what the solution to all my problems were... changing over to osx. now granted if any flavor of linux could run my design software natively i would have just built a fast ass pc and installed that os.

My guess is you're on a "cool" little Starbucks laptop that can't even handle 3dmark06. And by the way, don't bother bragging about your rig unless you can post pictures. Keep talking shit though, little Apple fanboy, it's SO fun to put you in your place.

i don't drink coffee so you're already striking out... i don't own a laptop so there's goes strike 2... and i don't have to post a photo of my mac to prove a damn thing and i'd imagine only some little pc fanboy would suggest doing anything of the sort. oh one more thing... it's SO fun to put you in your place.

ps: i suggest searching google(suggested by another member too) & i suggest exhausting all options before reformatting hd(suggested by another member too)... i mean what do yall want from me? i make suggestions, mouse's little minions come out to play, and the next thing you know i'm the asshole here. hmm. this is almost getting as bad as the conspiracy that pop is CIA.

Cry Havoc
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
i'd still be jealous of any mac! it's not the pc hardware that's the problem here, it's the OS and yet some of you can't get that through your heads. it's simple really, osx is far superior to winOS no matter how you spin it. i'm no fanboy, it's just the truth.

i have built, fixed, tweaked, etc pc's for well over 12 yrs and have seen all sorts of shit happen to them. a bunch of headaches later i realized what the solution to all my problems were... changing over to osx. now granted if any flavor of linux could run my design software natively i would have just built a fast ass pc and installed that os.

Good for you. I'm still not jealous of you for paying far more overhead for a product that's actually less capable. Macs can game now, but you're really paying a premium for it. The fact that you would jump to the conclusion that I'm jealous says more about your own insecurities than mine. I own three PCs and couldn't be happier with them.

What's more, I'm not even a Mac hater. I own an iPhone and I love it. If I am completely biased against Apple, I wouldn't touch anything they make. I'm not. I buy what I like and what performs at the price. PC blows Mac away for that, and has for a long time. Quad core STARTING at $2500 bucks? Laughable.

i don't drink coffee so you're already striking out... i don't own a laptop so there's goes strike 2... and i don't have to post a photo of my mac to prove a damn thing and i'd imagine only some little pc fanboy would suggest doing anything of the sort. oh one more thing... it's SO fun to put you in your place.

My comments were strictly tongue in-cheek. I notice I kind of shut you up about how awesome your rig is though. :toast I guess power and value means nothing to you, but not everyone wants to chalk up 3 grand for a computer when Windows is just fine.

And if you really want to get technical, yes, Linux or NetBSD blows away anything Apple has ever created.

ps: i suggest searching google(suggested by another member too) & i suggest exhausting all options before reformatting hd(suggested by another member too)... i mean what do yall want from me? i make suggestions, mouse's little minions come out to play, and the next thing you know i'm the asshole here. hmm. this is almost getting as bad as the conspiracy that pop is CIA.

No. Your primary suggestion was that the OP goes out and buys new USB ports, and you criticized me for suggesting a format, as that should be the "last option". There's nothing like suggesting a poster asking for help should spend money when he doesn't have to! :lol

When people called you out for it, you got pissy and started bragging about how you have a Mac. For someone who claims to have worked on computers for so long, you show a staggering lack of knowledge about them. I don't know anyone that would suggest buying new USB ports before a format.

Your posts in this thread are ridiculous, and you show a complete lack of maturity or decency to other posters. You're the bad guy because you've been an asshole to people, not because you're a victim. Don't be an idiot and then whine when people call you out for it.

koriwhat
03-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Your posts in this thread are ridiculous, and you show a complete lack of maturity or decency to other posters. You're the bad guy because you've been an asshole to people, not because you're a victim. Don't be an idiot and then whine when people call you out for it.

round and round we go.

velik_m
03-23-2009, 02:23 AM
What's wrong with suggesting a re-format/system restore? Hell, even if there wasn't a single damn thing wrong with MM's 2.0's I still think it would be a good idea. I reboot my xp every few months just out of general paranoia and as soon as something goes wrong with my computer that a simple registry/virus scan doesn't solve, I reboot then too. Best thing one can do for one's machine.

Nothing is wrong with re-format on it's own. The problem is it often does not fix the problem and usually either a complete waste of time or it just "hides" the problem forcing you to deal with it again at the later time. And it's a huge time sink (system restore is better in this regard), as you have to reinstall many programs (not a big deal if you're only using IE&Office, but for the rest of us it's a lost day). And please don't refer to reformat/system restore as "reboot".

Now that i think about it, I don't think i have ever re-formated a working system.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2009, 07:55 AM
oi cry havoc, what mobo is ur system using?

whats ur NB volt setting for that overclock?
mine BSOD at 3ghz when i try stress testing...q6600 also.

B-Boy
03-23-2009, 08:01 AM
i have built, fixed, tweaked, etc pc's for well over 12 yrs

:lmao

kumar.
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
round and round we go.

Not really Cry Havoc pussed out and let you off the hook.

MaNuMaNiAc on the other hand pulled out the smack bat on your ass! :tu

koriwhat
03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
mouse keeps laughing cause he knows he doesn't know shit... sitting around on a forum, getting satisfaction because you think one person takes what all you stiffs say to heart, and actually trying to act like you're better then said person must really take you to the top bro.

you crack me up. how's that demonoid invite working out for ya or am i still such an asshole?

Cry Havoc
03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
oi cry havoc, what mobo is ur system using?

whats ur NB volt setting for that overclock?
mine BSOD at 3ghz when i try stress testing...q6600 also.

Asus P5KC mobo.

My mobo is clocked at 1.3v right now, as I'm just letting the system auto-clock itself.

It's a little warmer than it would normally run, but I bought a Xigmatek CPU cooler for it, and the thing is amazing. Last I checked it was $26 on newegg. Worth every penny. My temps never jump above 55c, AFAIK. I haven't really checked in the middle of heavy gaming though, but at idle or just surfing my temps stay in the mid to high 30s, which is more than acceptable.

Rack The Trolls!
03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
you crack me up. how's that demonoid invite working out for ya or am i still such an asshole?

I don't think mouse has used that word since 1996.

balli
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Nothing is wrong with re-format on it's own. The problem is it often does not fix the problem
Then, as havoc alluded to, at least you know it's likely a hardware issue.

and usually either a complete waste of time or it just "hides" the problem forcing you to deal with it again at the later time.
Cross those bridges when you come to em.

And it's a huge time sink (system restore is better in this regard), as you have to reinstall many programs (not a big deal if you're only using IE&Office, but for the rest of us it's a lost day).
For the rest of us? Condescending bitch... Please. I put two CAD programs, sketchup, photoshop, office, dvdshrink, nero, FF and a few cleaners on in about an hour. It's really not that hard or time consuming at all if you keep all your software ready to go in one place.

And please don't refer to reformat/system restore as "reboot".
I'm aware the terminology was wrong, but please, in the future, don't be such a gaping fuckhole over plain as day semantics. Ya lame ass Nick Burns motherfucker.

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Nothing is wrong with re-format on it's own. The problem is it often does not fix the problem and usually either a complete waste of time or it just "hides" the problem forcing you to deal with it again at the later time. And it's a huge time sink (system restore is better in this regard), as you have to reinstall many programs (not a big deal if you're only using IE&Office, but for the rest of us it's a lost day). And please don't refer to reformat/system restore as "reboot".

Now that i think about it, I don't think i have ever re-formated a working system.

So let me see if I can get this straight....

A format is stupid because it's a waste of time (false), often does not fix the problem (false), and "hides" the problem (unclear what you mean by this).

To be clear.... a system restore is better, right? Because a system restore is more effective at fixing a problem than a format?

Do you know ANYTHING about computers? You're telling the OP that a system restore will more effectively fix a computer problem than a complete format of his hard drive? What kind of crack are you smoking? You're also saying a system restore will prevent further problems down the road that a format will not?

You're essentially saying a system restore will fix possible HARDWARE problems?

Just stop. No. Stop. You've lost any chance of anything you saying about computers making a bit of sense. You're should not be giving advice with anything related to computers.

I have never ever EVER heard someone try to talk about a system restore like it's better, more apt, or less of a waste of time than a format. My goodness, you are just inept.

to21
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
as in downloaded SP1? or reinstalled the OS?

I have SP1This might be the problem here.

SP1 does not support USB 2.0.

*Sorry If someone already said this.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM

how 'bout on the flipside... you're claiming the same with a format, so what is it?

personally i think both a system restore and/or format don't help anyone at all... what happens when the system messes up again? another format, and another, and another? i think the real issue here is that people are too damn lazy to fix things right and actually learn what they are doing instead of the "quick-fix" that teaches them absolutely nothing.

ps: you sit here and try to call me out and insult me and yet here you are doing the same to another person who has yet to mutter an insult your way. how mature... maybe you should learn a thing about upkeeping your system instead of getting pissed off when others shoot down your "quick-fix".

velik_m
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
So let me see if I can get this straight....

A format is stupid because it's a waste of time (false), often does not fix the problem (false), and "hides" the problem (unclear what you mean by this).

To be clear.... a system restore is better, right? Because a system restore is more effective at fixing a problem than a format?

Do you know ANYTHING about computers? You're telling the OP that a system restore will more effectively fix a computer problem than a complete format of his hard drive? What kind of crack are you smoking? You're also saying a system restore will prevent further problems down the road that a format will not?

Just stop. No. Stop. You've lost any chance of anything you saying about computers making a bit of sense. You're should not be giving advice with anything related to computers.

I have never ever EVER heard someone try to talk about a system restore like it's better, more apt, or less of a waste of time than a format. My goodness, you are just inept.

No - you need just to learn how to read. Here let me help you out:

Nothing is wrong with re-format on it's own. The problem is, it often does not fix the problem and usually either a complete waste of time or it just "hides" the problem forcing you to deal with it again at the later time. And it's a huge time sink (system restore is better in this regard), as you have to reinstall many programs (not a big deal if you're only using IE&Office, but for the rest of us it's a lost day). And please don't refer to reformat/system restore as "reboot".

And prey tell - how does reformating your hard drive fix HARDWARE problems?

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 01:43 PM

they can spit numbers all day about their overclocked pc's and whatnot but the minute you discredit their knowledge they go all buckwild on ya. it's not just a ST thing. i've seen this in the design industry, the IT field, and in my everyday office job. people who lay claim to being the "elite" of whatever field they are in want it to stay that way and when you question them they get all up in arms.

atleast there's one other person here who agrees that formatting a hd isn't really ever the solution. thanks velik!

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
how 'bout on the flipside... you're claiming the same with a format, so what is it?

Please show me where I claimed this. Oh wait, you can't.

personally i think both a system restore and/or format don't help anyone at all... what happens when the system messes up again? another format, and another, and another? i think the real issue here is that people are too damn lazy to fix things right and actually learn what they are doing instead of the "quick-fix" that teaches them absolutely nothing.

Unless he has malware that's causing the problem and a format wipes said malware, which is exactly what I said in my original response. What makes you think the same problem will occur again when you don't even know what the problem is?

ps: you sit here and try to call me out and insult me and yet here you are doing the same to another person who has yet to mutter an insult your way. how mature... maybe you should learn a thing about upkeeping your system instead of getting pissed off when others shoot down your "quick-fix".

He's feeding the OP false information. I have little tolerance for such ignorance.

No - you need just to learn how to read. Here let me help you out:

Perhaps you should explain to the OP how you stated that a system restore would fix a problem that a complete format would not?

It doesn't. Did you actually read anything I posted (or ballijuana, for that matter, since ALREADY answered that question once)? It's exactly why I initially told him to format. A format will solve nearly everything that's software related. A system restore will solve a few things that are software related, but as the OP has pointed out, he doesn't feel it would be effective. If he does a system restore and still has problems, what has he gained? Nothing. If he formats and still has problems, it's a hardware issue and he needs to contact his vendor.

they can spit numbers all day about their overclocked pc's and whatnot but the minute you discredit their knowledge they go all buckwild on ya. it's not just a ST thing. i've seen this in the design industry, the IT field, and in my everyday office job. people who lay claim to being the "elite" of whatever field they are in want it to stay that way and when you question them they get all up in arms.

atleast there's one other person here who agrees that formatting a hd isn't really ever the solution. thanks velik!

You haven't demonstrated a single bit of useful knowledge on any IT topic you've posted. You've been called out by everyone including the OP. Why don't you take your trolling little self and get lost?

velik_m
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Perhaps you should explain to the OP how you stated that a system restore would fix a problem that a complete format would not?

Please show me where I claimed this.

Edit: also calm down take a breather... Do you work in tech support? Cause that would explain the rage.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
You haven't demonstrated a single bit of useful knowledge on any IT topic you've posted. You've been called out by everyone including the OP. Why don't you take your trolling little self and get lost?

i've been called out? hahaha... what is this middle school? come on now.

so let me get this straight... i have a problem with my pc, i should reformat? ok. you know, i would had agreed with you back like 5-7 yrs ago when i too never knew a thing about actual troubleshooting of PCs. i'd rather spend a whole day learning what has happened to my PC and fixing it then just reformatting and running back into the same problem again.

dipshit.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Please show me where I claimed this. Oh wait, you can't.

see you missed the whole point of what i was getting at... velik didn't claim anything either, yet you throw the whole "you claim it will fix the hardware" bs down his throat. i am merely doing the same to you with your bs format suggestion.

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Edit: also calm down take a breather... Do you work in tech support? Cause that would explain the rage.

Were you not suggesting a system restore, then? Because that's what the running debate was about. I actually haven't seen you offer much in the way of advice other than checking device manager. If that's the case, I apologize. By critiquing the format idea, I thought you were attempting to give credence to a system restore. Is that not the case?

For the record, I still disagree with you either way about a format. It's often extremely beneficial to the system to get rid of a bunch of unnecessary files, it's NOT a waste of time, and it often does fix serious problems that never come back.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
This might be the problem here.

SP1 does not support USB 2.0.

*Sorry If someone already said this.

are you shitting me?? is this accurate? Vista Ultimate SP1 does not support USB 2.0??

to21
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
are you shitting me?? is this accurate? Vista Ultimate SP1 does not support USB 2.0??See I should have read the whole thing.......no Windows XP SP1 doesn't.

Sorry dude.

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
are you shitting me?? is this accurate? Vista Ultimate SP1 does not support USB 2.0??

What have you done so far? Any progress? You've re-installed your USB drivers to this point, correct?

velik_m
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
ManuM: I just thought of something - if you have an antivirus program, it might be scanning your recorded material, and slowing the whole thing down in the process.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
What have you done so far? Any progress? You've re-installed your USB drivers to this point, correct?

I have... hasn't worked though. Plan on doing a reformat sometime this week. Not too thrilled about it though.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
ManuM: I just thought of something - if you have an antivirus program, it might be scanning your recorded material, and slowing the whole thing down in the process.

I'm pretty sure that's not it. I still get the "this device can go faster if connected to a Hi Speed USB 2.0 port" bullshit message :bang

I'm pretty sure its a driver issue. I'm praying it isn't a mobo issue or I'm royally fucked.

velik_m
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Were you not suggesting a system restore, then? Because that's what the running debate was about. I actually haven't seen you offer much in the way of advice other than checking device manager. If that's the case, I apologize. By critiquing the format idea, I thought you were attempting to give credence to a system restore. Is that not the case?

For the record, I still disagree with you either way about a format. It's often extremely beneficial to the system to get rid of a bunch of unnecessary files, it's NOT a waste of time, and it often does fix serious problems that never come back.

No, you we're advocating reformat/system restore, i just said, if you go down that road, the system restore/repair is less time consuming of the two.

By reinstalling the same system, with the same drivers, you don't really narrow it down to a hardware problem. Maybe if he tried a different OS (linux live distro perhaps - no need for reformating :) ), he would achive the desired diagnosis, and with less destructive measures.

As for getting rid of a bunch of unnecessary files - there are other ways of doing that, but i'll leave it at that - to each his own.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not it. I still get the "this device can go faster if connected to a Hi Speed USB 2.0 port" bullshit message :bang

I'm pretty sure its a driver issue. I'm praying it isn't a mobo issue or I'm royally fucked.

your mb doesn't have both usb1&2 on it? i know my old pc had both. then again youre running vista so chances are your pc is new and comes standard with just usb2.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
found this link for ya... this is what i would've done first.
http://www.getusb.info/error-this-usb-device-can-perform-faster-if-connected-to-hi-speed-usb-20-port/

kid
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
but please, in the future, don't be such a gaping fuckhole over plain as day semantics. Ya lame ass Nick Burns motherfucker.

^ :lmao

I like many others don't really care the topic took a wrong turn the smack value alone makes up for it! :tu

unibrow
03-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Lets do the math. USB working fine, download free shit off line now USB works like shit.

Infection

Did this vato ever say if he has Norton or not? I clean out many laptops a month that have Norton and McCafee those asshats are ripping people off but they keep me in business. :tu

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Did this vato ever say if he has Norton or not? I clean out many laptops a month that have Norton and McCafee those asshats are ripping people off but they keep me in business. :tu

that is one thing i will finally agree with you on... those 2 av programs suck ass!

so far kaspersky has worked wonders here at the office and before that we used bitdefender.

mouse
03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Its sometimes difficult to help someone online because your not sure if they did all the things that were suggested so the person trying to help gives another option thinking the topic starter already did what had been recommended on page one.

What sucks is when the topic starter never gives you an update or just says "It works now" That doesn't help others who may have the same problem and the people who took time to give advise feel they wasted their time. And getting insulted doesn't help either.

I can only go by what works for me. Since I used to download about 5 GBs a day in software movies etc...back in my Time Warner days I have picked up every infection you can think of. Sometimes my system won't recognize my USB sometimes the CD door keeps opening and closing for no reason, mouse courser disappears, and sometimes the MBR is missing making a boot up a challenge. Well since I don't want to register my borrowed copy of XP windows i have to re-format every 29 days anyway.

I have found after the reinstall windows still doesn't have all the drivers so I write down the number on the motherboard like VM_66567 and I get the bios drivers and the USB starts working fine.

If you go to Major geeks they have 97% of everything you need to run tests on all parts of the PC it's worth a visit! :tu

http://www.majorgeeks.com/images/logo/mg_logo_trns.GIF

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
No, you we're advocating reformat/system restore, i just said, if you go down that road, the system restore/repair is less time consuming of the two.

By reinstalling the same system, with the same drivers, you don't really narrow it down to a hardware problem. Maybe if he tried a different OS (linux live distro perhaps - no need for reformating :) ), he would achive the desired diagnosis, and with less destructive measures.

As for getting rid of a bunch of unnecessary files - there are other ways of doing that, but i'll leave it at that - to each his own.

Fair enough. My earlier comment is withdrawn, or at least toned down. :toast

wannabe Moderator
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Fair enough. My earlier comment is withdrawn, or at least toned down. :toast

Dam you caved in again! :bang

Re-Animator
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
For the rest of us? Condescending bitch... Please. I put two CAD programs, sketchup, photoshop,

Dude that CAD and sketchup are hard as hell to use you went to school?

It's really not that hard or time consuming at all if you keep all your software ready to go in one place.

After doing it once a month for 3 years its starts to go faster each time. :tu

Cry Havoc
03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Dam

http://www.colorado-video.com/observerapps_files/Dam2.jpg

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
After doing it once a month for 3 years its starts to go faster each time. :tu

mouse there are activation cracks out there bro... why not try one?

Transporter
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

This thread is chock full of
http://www.mikedownscenter.org/upload/images/Win%20button.jpg

mouse
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
mouse there are activation cracks out there bro... why not try one?

When was the last time you used one? yes It keeps that notification icon from poping up but then you eventually get a page saying you need to activate windows or log off.

It seems like when you go to download Service pack III it says your copy of windows is not valid. I used to use them all the time. Only one time it worked and I can't find the file. You have to watch out many of them are serious Trojans that knock out the MBR on the HD and you have to install the XP disc on boot up and then do some sort of repair.

I usually just format. Where did you get yours? Did you ever get one the guy calls himself the Turk?

check these out.

http://btjunkie.org/search?q=XP+activation

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
When was the last time you used one? yes It keeps that notification icon from poping up but then you eventually get a page saying you need to activate windows or log off.

It seems like when you go to download Service pack III it says your copy of windows is not valid. I used to use them all the time. Only one time it worked and I can't find the file. You have to watch out many of them are serious Trojans that knock out the MBR on the HD and you have to install the XP disc on boot up and then do some sort of repair.

I usually just format. Where did you get yours? Did you ever get one the guy calls himself the Turk?

check these out.

http://btjunkie.org/search?q=XP+activation

i used to have to use one on my old pc... i will look for the file, it should be on my external hd and it worked like a charm. i never got redirected to some page to activate or any of that, it simply worked.

anyhow, i'll check later on tonight if i still have that file.

Blue Jew
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
When you say it worked was you able to get Microsoft updates?

unibrow
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
My bit lord stop downloading and my browsers were slow and my USB would not recognized my Net Gear these last two days so I used Hijack This and found out I was being attacked by a bunch of crap. Now my shit works why not give it a shot?

Blue Jew
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Must we beg for updates?

mouse
04-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Must we beg for updates?

That's fucked up people asking for help and cant take the time to give us updates.:wakeup

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the late update...

I solved the problem in no time at all. It wasn't the OS and it wasn't the drivers. It was a problem with the cables I was using. Now, I'm not an idiot. Trying out different cables is the first thing I did to verify that wasn't the problem. Except I had the bad luck that neither of the ones I tried was USB 2.0 verified.

Turns out the dude that sold them to me was either a fucking crook or didn't know what the fuck he was talking about when he assured me that those cables worked for 2.0. In fact, I don't even think that he knew what the fuck USB 2.0 meant... When it comes to technology, most of Argentina is still in biblical fucking times.

Anyway, I tried several different cables until I found out one that worked like a charm. Turns out all my USB ports are 2.0 and work perfectly.

Big thanks to everybody that tried to help. I really appreciate it! :tu and sorry again for the very late update.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM

But sometimes it pays to check the most stupid thing: the cable - have you tried with another cable?

Slomo for the win by the way