PDA

View Full Version : Metallica invades SXSW as `young band from Norway'

mrsmaalox
03-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Metallica invades SXSW as `young band from Norway'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090321/ap_en_ot/music_sxsw_metallica

AUSTIN, Texas – Invading South By Southwest, Metallica attempted to pose as one of the hundreds of smaller bands there just hoping to get a record deal.

"We're a young band from Norway and we want to get signed," Metallica frontman James Hetfield told the audience at the heavy metal band's SXSW performance Friday night.

It was a widely expected but not officially announced show at a venue (Stubb's) that for a band like Metallica is downright minuscule, holding about 2,100 people. The band played for slightly more than an hour, performing both classics and, as Hetfield called it, "new stuff" off their 2008 album "Death Magnetic" — a disc widely considered a return to form for the 28-year-old group.

But despite Hetfield's mock camouflage (and poor Norwegian accent), Metallica stood out on the SXSW landscape Friday. With more than 50 million albums sold, Metallica has probably outsold the other 1,900-plus bands at SXSW combined.

Droves of die-hard fans, catching wind of the rumors, lined up all day outside Stubb's, where Metallica 18-wheelers parked outside.

Metallica was in Austin for the day to promote their new "Guitar Hero" video game. To be released March 29, it's the latest rock star simulator dedicated to a single band following last year's "Guitar Hero: Aerosmith."

It may seem like a lot of fanfare for a videogame but "Guitar Hero" and its rival "Rock Band" have proven to be one of few growing revenue streams in a declining music industry.

In an interview before the show, Hetfield said the band wanted to play at SXSW — an old-school, small live show — to balance the promotion of the very contemporary, tech-savvy "Guitar Hero: Metallica."

"Here is the grass roots. Here is the basis of why we like music. Artists are getting up in front of 2,100 people and giving it what they got," Hetfield said of SXSW. "We've always wanted to support live music. We've been road dogs since the day after high school."

Now, Hetfield laughs at the idea that Metallica — who, in one of their most popular songs, sing: "Master of puppets, I'm pulling your strings" — have effectively been made digital puppets for kids to play with.

"When (drummer Lars Ulrich) and I were sitting in a garage in Norwalk, California, bashing out a horrible version of `Hit the Lights,' we were not thinking that this was going to be happening anytime soon," Hetfield said. "I've watched people play us. They're pretty good at us."

Hetfield has been more interested in observing his three children — ages 7,8 and 10 — play their father.

At the prospect of playing the game as Ulrich, Hetfield laughs and groans: "Good Lord. We've done some role-playing swapping in therapy already." (In the 2004 documentary "Some Kind of Monster," the band famously resorted to therapy sessions to heal rifts between each other.)

Instead, Hetfield will stick with real performance.

"Have you seen some good bands here?" Hetfield asked the crowd Friday before exiting the stage. "Hope we're one of them."

Bartleby
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Fuck Metallica. Those over the hill posers can pimp their video game someplace else.

BruceBowenFan
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
And good news, Metallica will play at the at&t center september 28, tickets go on sale april 4. :downspin::downspin:

BacktoBasics
03-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't stand these whiny richers.

Strike
03-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Metallica can eat shit. They used to be great until they started bending over for Bob Rock and MTV.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-21-2009, 12:21 PM
LOL

I wish I would have been there to shout "Stick to your roots, not your suits, keep it real motherFUCKERS!"
But I probably would have got my ass kicked by all the frontucked fratboy Metallica fans.

monosylab1k
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
So what's douchier, the guy who didn't start liking Metallica until "Load", or the guy who claims everything Metallica has done from "Load" on is the shittiest music ever?

monosylab1k
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
btw Metallica sucks anyways, always have.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Norweigians should feel insulted.

Destro
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I was at the show last night, it was bad ass. I have passess to see kanye west and Common tonight

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I was at the show last night, it was bad ass. I have passess to see kanye west and Common tonight
hmm. so you'll see a crappier show than last nights then. :toast

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/9/572739_8a864628-c067-4279-ae42-13fde570c89c_prod.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
^ :lmao

DannyT
03-21-2009, 04:03 PM

at what spot and what time

Cant_Be_Faded
03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
So what's douchier, the guy who didn't start liking Metallica until "Load", or the guy who claims everything Metallica has done from "Load" on is the shittiest music ever?

Everything from Black Album to now blows dogs for quarters.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
werd

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2009, 08:24 PM
^ :lmaodid you sing along? hilarious

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-21-2009, 09:02 PM

I'd say that everything since the song "Fight Fire With Fire" is complete and utter excrement.

monosylab1k
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Everything Metallica has ever done blows dogs for quarters.

fixed

Slydragon
03-21-2009, 09:36 PM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/9/572739_8a864628-c067-4279-ae42-13fde570c89c_prod.jpg

:lol I read it slow but then had to just sing it to get the full effect.

DannyT
03-22-2009, 06:44 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF8082.jpg
Live at Club Fuel Austin Texas
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF8083.jpg
Lots of Fresh Faces out at SxSW
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF8090.jpg
J Krunk
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF8119.jpg
to whoever dropped this flyer, would you please come pick it up...
we dont appreciate this...
theres no gurantee they're gonna love you.

DannyT
03-22-2009, 06:47 AM
never knew SxSW went down like that...it was one best opportunities for an artist. And the internet has really changed the game up. People everywhere and from everywhere wanna talk to you and get you on there live streams they have going on....this will most definitely be a must next year...

Destro
03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
here is a summary from the Kanye West show, it was hosted by Perez Hilton. This was a hellava party.
http://perezhilton.com/2009-03-22-an-epic-evening-2

dimsah
03-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks Metallica for taking time away from bands trying make it. You sure are an inspiration to sell-outs everywhere.

Destro
03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks Metallica for taking time away from bands trying make it. You sure are an inspiration to sell-outs everywhere.

I'm going to push back a little here, SXSW is a music, film, and interactive conference. Metallica was there to promote the Guitar Hero brand. It was cross promoted as an Interactive and Music event for the gaming industry and music industry. The Kayne West show was sponsored by Dell computers as a cross event for interactive and music as well. As a person in the video game industry i'm not at sxsw to discover new bands (although i do find new bands every year). I''m here to network, learn, and talk shop with others in the biz. Most of the people at these two shows were game developers and multi-media producers. The music industry folks could give a shit about major bands playing sxsw, unless of course you count small town reporters and radio host that get wasted on free Miller Lite.

Drachen
03-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Dude, you are late to the party. Didn't you know that it has been fashionable for at least the last 7 or 8 years to claim that everything done from "Black" on is the shittiest music ever. Either that or they are supposed to completely deny that they ever even liked Metallica. Anyway, my take on "Load" is that its a good album but it was very different from their other stuff (even moreso than black which still had songs that went with the carbon copy "formula" that all of these people crave). I think that Load would have been wildly successful, even amongst these people who claim to hate it, had it been created by a new band, one that didn't already have an established sound. But these Metallica fans who hate it basically don't want the band to grow and experiment with new things. They want the formula (1 min intro, verse 1, chorus, verse 2, small guitar bridge to chorus, verse 3, slightly different music during chorus, build up, 5-6 minute guitar solo, fadeout) repeated ad nauseum. I even think that one of their 10 best songs is on Load (bleeding me). To be fair, I have not heard the entire album of St. Anger, or Death Magnetic, but what I have heard on St. Anger is different in that it is very fast paced, and gets me amped up. As far as Death Magnetic, all of these people who hated Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger, should love this because Death Magnetic seems to go back to the formula. I love it to! The fact that they have been able to make good music without the formula makes the return of the formula even better. Anyway, that is my rant and has been my rant since about 6 months after Load came out. Take it for what you will.

fraga
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Metallica killed Napster...F*CK THOSE PUTOS!!!

JudynTX
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
You guys still have a grudge against Metallica? Damn!

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Anyone going to the show here in SA?

I'm not but I found the presale password if anyone wants it.

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
You guys still have a grudge against Metallica? Damn!

haha. i disagree with what they did, as if they think the whole process of downloading music would just go away, but i would be pissed too if i wasnt making money. but its also funny to hear them say in an interview about how they and others would always pass tapes around back in teh day. thats how everyone found new people. internet downloading is no different

even though tehy are pretty much chodes now, i still have to go see them in concert once before either i die or they stop touring.

quick side note, theres a long ass video on you tube of them all fucked up. high on something, check it out its pretty funny. it seems almost like a joke bc i thought they were all "clean" now but...who knows.

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Metallica killed Napster...F*CK THOSE PUTOS!!!

They killed Napster but better things have come since then so I dont care

BruceBowenFan
04-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Fuck Yea, got my tickets for september 28:downspin::downspin::chestbump: