PDA

View Full Version : Pop can still make it right.

z0sa
03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Start playing Bowen 30+ minutes again Pop - including the ends of games. The season is winding to a close very soon. If Bowen does not play big minutes in the playoffs, it will be the biggest mistake Pop has ever made with this team. Bowen, to me, has clearly not lost anything and is more rejuvenated than ever with the rest Pop has given him.

Without Bowen playing big minutes, the Spurs will not win a championship this year.

So now its time to make it right Pop, and prove me right. You were resting Bowen this whole time for the stretch run and the playoffs, now its time to play him the heavy minutes.

jag
03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120340

1 thread wasnt enough?

z0sa
03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120340

1 thread wasnt enough?

we both posted them at nearly the same moment ...

Additionally, what does Bowen starting have to do with MY suggestion of him probably not starting and still playing 30+ mins, including the ends of games?

shouldn't you merge them? No. I think there's room for two Bowen discussions honestly, he's that important.

jag
03-21-2009, 12:50 PM
we both posted them at nearly the same moment ...

Additionally, what does Bowen starting have to do with MY suggestion of him probably not starting and still playing 30+ mins, including the ends of games?

shouldn't you merge them?

Bowen is obviously still athletic enough to stay with top scorers in league. He's a proven guy and Pop knows exactly what he's gonna get from him.

Pop is more than likely resting him and giving him spot minutes until the PO...this will give guys like Finley, Hill, Mason, and Udoka a chance to gain some confidence and hopefully get some kind of a rhythm going by the time the PO come around.

z0sa
03-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Bowen is obviously still athletic enough to stay with top scorers in league. He's a proven guy and Pop knows exactly what he's gonna get from him.

Pop is more than likely resting him and giving him spot minutes until the PO...this will give guys like Finley, Hill, Mason, and Udoka a chance to gain some confidence and hopefully get some kind of a rhythm going by the time the PO come around.

I have less faith in Pop's coaching of Bowen than in any other facet. After pestering Pierce brutally all game, he gets benched in the decisive 5 minute stretch of the 4th. I'm not sure you can prove where your faith is coming from, either.

Can we trust Pop to play Bowen the 30 minutes the Spurs desperately need come PO time, or will Finley be registering all those minutes like my sickened gut tells me?

timvp
03-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Finley has helped the team stay afloat during the regular season. That said, if Pop let's the sink ship in the playoffs by going with Finley over Bowen, that would be difficult to forgive.

I agree that this team doesn't win a championship without Bowen playing at least 25 MPG in the playoffs. The Spurs need to win with defense and Bowen is still the best perimeter defender on the team.

Josepatches_
03-21-2009, 02:21 PM
This team doesn't have any chance to win the NBA with the injury of our franchise player so who cares about Bowen.TD's knees is the only problem.If he can't feel better then season it's over.

duncan228
03-21-2009, 02:27 PM
This team doesn't have any chance to win the NBA with the injury of our franchise player so who cares about Bowen.TD's knees is the only problem.If he can't feel better then season it's over.

It takes a team, one man doesn't win alone.

I agree that Duncan needs to be as close to 100% as he can, but that's not all we need. Manu, Parker, Bowen, the role players, Pop...it takes all of them. If everyone is clicking and Duncan is close, I like our chances.

Flux451
03-21-2009, 03:47 PM
It was great seeing Bowen playing mins last night. With him and Hill on the court together its a sight for sore eyes, they bring great energy on D. Plus everyone steps up there D with Bowen on court.

I also like how he has added a mid range jumper.

I think we will see a return of Bowen in POs.

houston spurs fan
03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
It was great seeing Bowen playing mins last night. With him and Hill on the court together its a sight for sore eyes, they bring great energy on D. Plus everyone steps up there D with Bowen on court.

I also like how he has added a mid range jumper.

I think we will see a return of Bowen in POs.

"I like how he had added a mid range jumper"...That's like saying "I like how TP has added a 3 pointer this season"...1 shot doesn't count. Bowen is good for 10-15 minutes kind of like Hill and that's it.

Muser
03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Pop hasn't gone wrong. He knows what it takes to win a title.

z0sa
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
dnp-cd's for Bowen. No hill. Wayy too much Finley.

Pop can still make it right.

crc21209
04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
dnp-cd's for Bowen. No hill. Wayy too much Finley.

Pop can still make it right.

He has to. More Bowen, less Udoka. More Thomas, less Bonner. :tu

Borosai
04-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Don't forget the cowbell.

benefactor
04-01-2009, 12:18 PM
After watching Pop not even glance Bowen's direction as Finley was raped repeatedly, I am convinced he will not change anything.

poop
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
we need defense to win. no Bowen (or hill) playing = no win.

we ned to start parker, mason, BOWEN, Thomas, and tim. thats a solid defensive starting linup that would prevent teams from jumping on us early. put BOWEN on their star from the start and we dont see Durant going wild on us to start the game. i cant fathom WHAT THE HELL popovich is thinking, starting Bonner and finley, and last night started Manu also, i swear hes lost it.

Spursmania
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I think that all of us who have faith that Bowen will be playing in the playoffs are going to be sorely disappointed. I keep hearing maybe Pop is saving Bowen's legs, etc... Give me a break. I no longer believe that at all.
I mean the guy is not a cripple. He is in one of the best shapes around the league, and Pop is afraid he'll wear him down by playing a few minutes in these regular season games? Bullshit. :nope

Either Pop has an epiphany now and begins to set his damn rotations that include Bowen or we can kiss ever seeing Bowen much during the playoff goodbye. Expect to see fricking Ime and Finley take all of Bowen's minutes. Why Pop believes Ime deserves all of these minutes over Bowen is beyond my comprehension.

I'm hopeful but it's as if the dye has been cast, and we are in denial about the kind of playing time Pop will give Bowen. I hope I am wrong.:(

superbigtime
04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Start playing Bowen 30+ minutes again Pop - including the ends of games. The season is winding to a close very soon. If Bowen does not play big minutes in the playoffs, it will be the biggest mistake Pop has ever made with this team. Bowen, to me, has clearly not lost anything and is more rejuvenated than ever with the rest Pop has given him.

Without Bowen playing big minutes, the Spurs will not win a championship this year.

So now its time to make it right Pop, and prove me right. You were resting Bowen this whole time for the stretch run and the playoffs, now its time to play him the heavy minutes.

Seriously? Pop making it right? Have you been watching this season? He has made it so very wrong. How long does it take to look into the sun to make your eyes hurt? Just keep staring.

Dex
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
The timing of everything is what has me perplexed, even worried.

If Pop really does have an ace up his sleeve, he sure is waiting until the last second to show it. Otherwise, if you plan to have ANYBODY as a part of this playoff rotation, be it Bowen, Hill, or Vaughn, the last 10 games is the time to start dusting them off.

Unfortunately, AMAZINGLY out of that list of candidates....Vaughn is the one seeing the floor. If this is really his master plan, it's gonna be a short playoffs.

Meanwhile, Pop tinkers with the playing time of the one big other than Duncan who has been playing consistently.

:shootme

wisnub
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Finley has helped the team stay afloat during the regular season. That said, if Pop let's the sink ship in the playoffs by going with Finley over Bowen, that would be difficult to forgive.

I agree that this team doesn't win a championship without Bowen playing at least 25 MPG in the playoffs. The Spurs need to win with defense and Bowen is still the best perimeter defender on the team.

I agree with you, I think Bowen is a vital part of Spurs championship.

I dont know how Pop's thinking but fact has shown that his tendency to go against the stream starting to work against him. This year we applaud him for bringing Hill and Mason,even Bonner improvement (although superbonner starting to turn into just bonner). On the other hand, we have seen blowouts and consistency of losing against good team, not to mention losing because he experimenting on lineups. There is excuse that regular season win is not important,look at Phil Jackson coaching..he knows better he got more rings as well. Lakers never deteriorate like Spurs did,if they lost they will lost close..only portland can blew them up and it just one time thing. What I am trying to say is that Pop doesnt need to always be controversial, even Mike Brown which once his assistant didnt act like Pop and his young team perform way much much better than Spurs. We need to admit our mistake, and try to learn from it. Pop has been in league for far too long..he shouldnt experiment every single time like he's new...Anyone who justified any of his actions with CIA pop is just ignorant people try to make himself feels better. Mike Brown didnt do any CIA and his team beat whole NBA while having too much fun ( you should watch the "show" inside the court). You dont have to grow beard like nomad or put an overly serious face to win. People perform better when they are having fun while knowing exactly what to do. Pop might want to learn from Cavs and hopefully all of his bizzare actions and decision will bring us to Championship otherwise he will only become weird stubborn stupid impotent man trying to remember past success with a bottle of expensive wine...prove us that you are the coach of 2009 NBA Champion for everybodys sake!!

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Bowen will play during the PO's no doubt.

He's professional and relentless which we could obviously use now, but he is old in basketball years.

Pop probably gauged him to have 20 or so games in which he could go all out.

Pulling Bowen during the final stretch of a close game isn't necessarily a knock on his skill.. Bruce got you there, its for the other guys to close it out. Here you go, just play defense the last 5 minutes. Unfortunatley as of late the Spurs haven't been able to pull it out. Why blame Pop because he put a player in a certain position and they couldn't hack it? Better to know now who you can go to war with.

Come playoff time our Veterans and Grown Men will get it done. Little boys belong on the bench.

lefty
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I think that he is going CIA hardcore right now.

There is NO way we are that bad.

Also, keep in mind that Bowen has seen little action so far, and that he'll be fresh for the playoffs :tu

I have the impression that during Spurs practice, Popovich is secretly executing plays he will use in the playoffs :devil :devil :devil

xtremesteven33
04-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Also, keep in mind that Bowen has seen little action so far, and that he'll be fresh for the playoffs :tu

I have the impression that during Spurs practice, Popovich is secretly executing plays he will use in the playoffs :devil :devil :devil

i chose to look at the glass half empty

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
It's your life.

benefactor
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
i chose to look at the glass half empty
What you perceive to be a half empty glass is actually a full glass of reality.

SA210
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM

If Pop happens to play Bruce in the PO's, it's not because it was a plan, it's would be because he's being a horrible coach and we have lost some games and he's being criticized for not playing Bruce. But knowing Pop, when hes criticized, he becomes even more stubborn.

lefty
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
If Pop happens to play Bruce in the PO's, it's not because it was a plan, it's would be because he's being a horrible coach and we have lost some games and he's being criticized for not playing Bruce. But knowing Pop, when hes criticized, he becomes even more stubborn.

Yeah Pop is really stubborn, I have to agree with you here

ulosturedge
04-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Bowen was getting burned early on in the season. So he got benched in favor of getting more offense instead of defense. Bowen is a liability on offense if he's not knocking down that 3 point shot. Not sure if you think it was because of ailments he was playing so poorly or you think he is ready to turn over a new leaf and just had a poor start of the season, but if you are saying we need to get another look at Bowen to really see if he's on the decline well I guess... Better do it quick the regular season is running out.

imo pop is just trying to do too much mixing of the rotation. I really want to be optimistic here and hope that Pop really doesn't give a shit about the seeding and he is just trying to get everyone prep'd for the playoffs and that as soon as the playoffs start everything about our rotation is gonna change. The only thing is I think losing in the regular season is going to carry over baggage coming into playoff time. I would like to see some momentum moving into the playoffs. The alternative is keep doing what we are doing and believe that the "flip the switch" can really happen in the playoffs for our Spurs.

I want to believe with all my heart they can do that. I have to believe...