PDA

View Full Version : Bring the Pressure

benefactor
03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Here we are...just a half game away from being behind Houston and a head to head match up with them looming in less than 24 hours. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It may sound silly to wish this on our team, but one only needs to look back at the month of November to understand where I am coming from. There was a time when there was no Ginobili. Then there was no Parker either. The pressure was on young players like Hill and Mason to respond, and the first year man and the rookie did in impressive fashion.

Now we are in a different pressure situation but the overall premise is still the same. We are down Ginobili and Duncan is not yet where he needs to be. We are getting the big man we have needed assimilated...and even he is working back from some injury issues. Houston is right behind us and April is right before us. All of our players, from the stars to the end of the bench, are being pushed into a time of decision. There is only two options...push forward or fall behind.

I say all that to say this...our players need this pressure. We need feel Houston's breath on our neck. We need to lose games like we did in Oklahoma City so that situations like the one against Minnesota can happen to force our players to step up, because losing in the playoffs forces the same type of response. Roger Mason needs to have a bad night against Boston, because I would rather him feel like he should play harder and be smarter rather than think about the game winner he made to sink them.

This team needs to be pushed continuously. I don't want a lead like the Lakers have. I don't want everyone on ESPN slobbering all over us like they do with Lebron. I want to be told we will fail. I would almost like some of our players to come to this website and read some of the comments of the posters that predict our failure time and time again. Let them see that the fans doubt whether they are capable, because I would like them to hear more and more about why they can't...so when the playoffs arrive they will.

Stack the odds against this team and keep stacking, because at the end of the day they need it and they will respond.

manufor3
03-21-2009, 03:45 PM
:flag:

Southwest Texas Fan
03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Where's the no limit commander. Hoorah!!!!

jag
03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2553/26712909861ebcdafcb3.jpg

Do work son.:flag:

alchemist
03-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Parker is playing on a Superstar level, now if we can get Duncan back to playing on 90% and manage to squeeze in some Ginobili minutes we'll be more than fine.

siraulo23
03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
This team needs to be pushed continuously. I don't want a lead like the Lakers have. I don't want everyone on ESPN slobbering all over us like they do with Lebron. I want to be told we will fail. I would almost like some of our players to come to this website and read some of the comments of the posters that predict our failure time and time again. Let them see that the fans doubt whether they are capable, because I would like them to hear more and more about why they can't...so when the playoffs arrive they will.

:tu

Spork KIller
03-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Here we are...just a half game away from being behind Houston and a head to head match up with them looming in less than 24 hours. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It may sound silly to wish this on our team, but one only needs to look back at the month of November to understand where I am coming from. There was a time when there was no Ginobili. Then there was no Parker either. The pressure was on young players like Hill and Mason to respond, and the first year man and the rookie did in impressive fashion.

Now we are in a different pressure situation but the overall premise is still the same. We are down Ginobili and Duncan is not yet where he needs to be. We are getting the big man we have needed assimilated...and even he is working back from some injury issues. Houston is right behind us and April is right before us. All of our players, from the stars to the end of the bench, are being pushed into a time of decision. There is only two options...push forward or fall behind.

I say all that to say this...our players need this pressure. We need feel Houston's breath on our neck. We need to lose games like we did in Oklahoma City so that situations like the one against Minnesota can happen to force our players to step up, because losing in the playoffs forces the same type of response. Roger Mason needs to have a bad night against Boston, because I would rather him feel like he should play harder and be smarter rather than think about the game winner he made to sink them.

Stack the odds against this team and keep stacking, because at the end of the day they need it and they will respond.

Kill yourself loser!

jag
03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Kill yourself loser!

You must be a very lonely person.

DPG21920
03-21-2009, 05:20 PM

new_N_town
03-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Kill yourself loser!

stevie nash & Co. gettin ready for the playoffs>>??:lol:lol:lol

Spur|n|Austin
03-21-2009, 05:59 PM
NFrhDhHeLf0

Ice009
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Good post. It's starting to become money time and the pressure has turned up a notch. I love it. This is what it is all about.

Go Spurs Go.

Ice009
03-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Parker is playing on a Superstar level, now if we can get Duncan back to playing on 90% and manage to squeeze in some Ginobili minutes we'll be more than fine.

Parker is definitely playing magnificent. We get everyone else back and I think we're good to go.

Bruce gets more court time and that is also a huge boost.

Spooky
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
:tu :corn: :flag: :lobt2:

Ice009
03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Turning up the defensive pressure and intensity is what Spurs basketball is all about. This is nothing new for us. I think you'll start seeing Spurs basketball from here on out.

lefty
03-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Hey, that's the FT choker !!!!

crc21209
03-21-2009, 07:29 PM

I agree. I think Tony may just take over the Playoffs for us the same way Manu did in 05'. It's Tony's turn now....and with TD still in there hopefully playing at a high level and Manu coming back rested....we should be good for another championship run. :flag: :lobt2:

Blackjack
03-22-2009, 02:41 AM
I think you might be on to something, here.:tu

Usually, the RRT is the time of year the team is able to galvanize under the challenge of the road and the limited outside distractions, but between the way the schedule was broken up and the Manu injury? The Spurs were never able to find the "bunker-mentality" that's aided them, in so many years past.

This pressure to keep the 2 seed, just might actually be what the doctor ordered. If the RRT can't be the unifying factor it's been in years past, maybe a little nudge from the Rockets and others looking to take that 2 spot, can be the unifier the RRT couldn't.

The odds for this team to get healthy, put it all together, and come together in time for the playoffs aren't all that favorable, but...

If the pressure provides the Spurs the means to find that "bunker-mentality" and allow someone like Gooden to earn some stripes before the real season starts? It might make the unlikely scenario of putting it all together, in such a short period of time, possible.

At least, that's the hope...

SenorSpur
03-22-2009, 04:49 AM

:tu

Good post. I have no doubts the Spurs will rise to this latest challenge on Sunday - and for the reasons that you stated.

raspsa
03-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think Pop or the Spurs feel much pressure to keep the No. 2 seed.. paraphrasing Pop, being 2nd would be nice but its not mandatory.. the best team will prevail over 7 games regardless of homecourt advantage.

The pressure is more in getting some semblance of a complete team come the playoffs and hoping that they play with the necessary cohesion to be competitive. The Spurs are behind schedule inthis regard primarily because of injuries.

Opponents will continue to pressure the Spurs jumpshooters more so now that Duncan is hobbled and is not the interior threat that used to command a doubleteam. Timmy will have to prove he can make opponents pay with single coverage if he is to make life easier for guys on the perimeter. Manu's return will help in breking down defenses and freeing guys for more open shots.

benefactor
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Pressure is on. The odds are stacked. We are being told we will fail.

The ghosts of '03, '05 and '07 will speak tonight.

mexicanjunior
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Pressure is on. The odds are stacked. We are being told we will fail.

The ghosts of '03, '05 and '07 will speak tonight.

I'm onboard with your avatar... :toast