PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Downturn From Downtown Hits Spurs

duncan228
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Downturn from downtown hits Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Downturn_from_downtown_hits_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald

Matt Bonner was a business administration major at the University of Florida, which meant he had to take a mathematics course or two.

Over the past few days, Bonner has been pondering the mathematical law of averages. In terms of the Spurs' three-game 3-point shooting slump, it means what goes down must come up.

That's the hope anyway. During the past three games, the Spurs have made just 12 of 57 3-point tries.

“It's just a bad stretch of shooting,” Bonner said. “There's ups and downs every season. Everybody had been shooting pretty well.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has always maintained that the Spurs must shoot the 3-pointer well to be a championship-caliber team. Even after their recent long-range troubles, the Spurs stand tied with Boston as the most accurate 3-point team in the NBA (39.2 percent).

Still, the Spurs are finding 3-point shooting to be a little more difficult, as opponents have begun to make running their shooters off the arc a game-plan priority.

Bonner, Roger Mason Jr. and Michael Finley — the team's best 3-point marksmen — are a combined 10-of-39 over the past three games. It is a trend the Spurs hope will correct itself soon.

“We've still been getting good looks,” Mason said. “When you're one of the best 3-point shooting teams, other teams are going to try to contest harder. That's part of basketball. There are nights when shots just don't fall.”

The cruelest month: March has been unkind to Tim Duncan. Since missing the final three games of February with tendonosis in his right knee, Duncan is averaging 15.1 points and shooting 42.8 percent from the field.

Those numbers are well below his season averages of 19.8 points and 50.5 percent.

Duncan, who has not produced a 20-point game since a Feb. 17 loss at New York, admits he is still battling soreness in his knees.

“I'm fighting through it,” Duncan said. “It's getting a little better every game.”

Popovich has acknowledged concern about Duncan's health with the playoffs looming, and says he will look for ways to rest his All-Star power forward when he can.

“I think whenever we have a chance to give a player like Tim a couple of days, we should do it,” Popovich said. “Because we know the most important thing at the end is when people are healthy and energetic.”

Spursmania
03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
I really hope that Tim's knees are getting a little better every game. We need our big three.

alchemist
03-21-2009, 11:18 PM
that's bull about teams just running the Spurs off the 3pt line, these guys are missing wide open uncontested three's. Hopefully it's just a phase they can shake off.

VI_Massive
03-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I noticed against Boston that several guys passed up open looks and hesitated, often dribbling a bit before either passing or taking another jumper. I imagine this tentativeness is a result of feeling collectively cold from 3. Hopefully the guys will stop thinking so much and just take those shots in rhythm when they get the ball.

Have you guys noticed whether Timmy has been getting single coverage more lately? I know a lot of our open 3 looks come when he gets doubled. I don't remember seeing a change one way or another but I know since TD has struggled maybe he has been single-covered more often and that has given us fewer open looks from 3.

But yeah, when our 3s aren't going down, the offense is pretty stagnant, especially with no Manu.

lefty
03-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Mason's shot selection vs Boston was really poor

Except for the 1st meeting :D

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Mason's shot selection vs Boston was really poor

Except for the 1st meeting :D

Its tough to get good looks against Boston, especially since Mason isn't much of a threat to put the ball on the floor.

lefty
03-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Its tough to get good looks against Boston, especially since Mason isn't much of a threat to put the ball on the floor.

That's really hard to figure out.

Some nights, he looks like he has the ability take it to the rim, other nights he looks a jump shooter-nothing more

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 12:06 AM
That's really hard to figure out.

Some nights, he looks like he has the ability take it to the rim, other nights he looks a jump shooter-nothing more

He's OK at getting to the rim, but terrible at finishing once he gets there.

lefty
03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
He's OK at getting to the rim, but terrible at finishing once he gets there.

Didn't he airball a layup after getting trough the D recently ? :lol

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Didn't he airball a layup after getting trough the D recently ? :lol

Something terrible like that. I wonder why he struggles at that aspect. I wonder if its something that can be practiced and taught or if a lot of it is instinct, feel, or whatever. Probably a combination of both.

Overall, Mason's stock has dropped in my eyes lately. He did well earlier in the season and hit all those big shots and I was as enamored of him as anyone, but now it seems like his D is weak, he has poor ball-handling and decision-making skills, and doesn't have any offensive game other than his jumper. When that's not falling, like lately, he doesn't bring much to the table.

Maybe teams are adjusting to him and figuring out how to shut him down, maybe he's just in a cold stretch, or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd like to see his bread and butter jumpers start falling and see something else from his game that contributes -- passing, defense, drives, whatever.

lefty
03-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Something terrible like that. I wonder why he struggles at that aspect. I wonder if its something that can be practiced and taught or if a lot of it is instinct, feel, or whatever. Probably a combination of both.

Overall, Mason's stock has dropped in my eyes lately. He did well earlier in the season and hit all those big shots and I was as enamored of him as anyone, but now it seems like his D is weak, he has poor ball-handling and decision-making skills, and doesn't have any offensive game other than his jumper. When that's not falling, like lately, he doesn't bring much to the table.

Maybe teams are adjusting to him and figuring out how to shut him down, maybe he's just in a cold stretch, or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd like to see his bread and butter jumpers start falling and see something else from his game that contributes -- passing, defense, drives, whatever.

I think he can't handle all the responsibilities while Manu is out, and with Tim being like 75%; yeah, he did well at the beginning of the season with both TP and Manu out, but Timmy was healthier and more efficient

But if everybody is healthy, he is more comfy

I expect him to hit other big shots for us in the playoffs

itzsoweezee
03-22-2009, 01:08 AM
teams haven't been paying as much attention to timmy as they usually do. as a result, the three point shots aren't as wide open as they usually are.

Agloco
03-22-2009, 01:54 PM
“I'm fighting through it,” Duncan said. “It's getting a little better every game.”

:tu

duncan228
03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
:tu

What didn't make the print is the first part of the reporter's question, where he asked Duncan if the knee was still hurting him. Duncan, with one word. "Yeah." Then he said he was fighting through it and it was a little better each game. He's in pain and it's impacting his game.