PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes: Iraq had WMD in 2003

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 10:55 PM
The hell you say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/international/middleeast/13loot.html?hp&ex=1110776400&en=e7534dd977e6dc08&ei=5094&partner=homepage

NY Times: Iraq Had WMD 'Stockpiles' in 2003

In a stunning about-face, the New York Times reported Sunday that when the U.S. attacked Iraq in March 2003, Saddam Hussein possessed "stockpiles of monitored chemicals and materials," as well as sophisticated equipment to manufacture nuclear and biological weapons, which was removed to "a neighboring state" before the U.S. could secure the weapons sites.

The U.N.'s Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission [Unmovic], "has filed regular reports to the Security Council since last May," the paper said, "about the dismantlement of important weapons installations and the export of dangerous materials to foreign states."

"Officials of the commission and the [International] Atomic Energy Agency have repeatedly called on the Iraqi government to report on what it knows of the fate of the thousands of pieces of monitored equipment and stockpiles of monitored chemicals and materials."

Last fall, IAEA director Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei confirmed that "nuclear-related materials" had gone missing from monitored sites, calling on Iraqi officials to start the process of accounting for the missing stockpiles still ostensibly under the agency's supervision.

Quoting Sami al-Araji, Iraq's deputy minister of industry since the 1980s, the Times said:

"It appeared that a highly organized operation had pinpointed specific plants in search of valuable equipment, some of which could be used for both military and civilian applications, and carted the machinery away."

Calling the operation "sophisticated," Dr. Araji said the removal effort featured "cranes and the lorries, and they depleted the whole sites," adding, "They knew what they were doing."

The top Iraqi defense official said equipment capable of making parts for missiles as well as chemical, biological and nuclear arms was missing from 8 or 10 sites that were the heart of Iraq's WMD program.

Dr. Araji said that if the equipment had left the country, its most likely destination was a neighboring state.

The United Nations, worried that the nuclear material and equipment could be used in clandestine bomb production, has been hunting for it throughout the Middle East, largely unsuccessfully, the Times said.

JohnnyMarzetti
03-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Oh, now the NY Times is a credible source?

The ultra-liberal un-reliable NY Times!?!?!?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Well hey, Dan's held it up as the champion of the left. Every other source that anyone not liberal links to Dan discounts as biased, so what's he gonna say about his "rag" the NYT?

2centsworth
03-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Oh, now the NY Times is a credible source?

The ultra-liberal un-reliable NY Times!?!?!?
that's what makes the article so incredible. I'm sure a retraction is on the way.

exstatic
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
(API) In a stunning development, Karl Rove was photgraphed with what looked like a large amount of money, entering the NY Times last week. When asked if this was another press payoff, Rove declined comment.

Useruser666
03-14-2005, 09:14 AM
(API) In a stunning development, Karl Rove was photgraphed with what looked like a large amount of money, entering the NY Times last week. When asked if this was another press payoff, Rove declined comment.

What a bunch of bs. Oh I know it's a "MSM" source so it's of course biased and payed off. Sometimes if it's not mainstream, and the trickle you're standing in is warm, it's called piss.

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I have not heard this reported on the cable news channels but I didn't watch Fox & Friends this morning.

Nbadan
03-15-2005, 01:50 AM
I have not heard this reported on the cable news channels but I didn't watch Fox & Friends this morning.

:lol CNN and MSNBC are drones.

Aggie left off the most important part of the article - the part that says the missing equipment also had non-military uses - which is more than likely where this equipment wound up, and not in Syria or Iran which U.S. spy satellites and 24-7 survellience where monitoring closely.

exstatic
03-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Oh I know it's a "MSM" source so it's of course biased and payed off.
Act like it hasn't happened during this administration, several times already.

Sometimes if it's not mainstream, and the trickle you're standing in is warm, it's called piss.
I'll take your word for it.

Useruser666
03-15-2005, 09:29 AM
This is pretty funny. People ignore any news source or article that doesn't support their views, then praise any and all news source that does support them. You mock the NY Times, but bow before the Asia Times or the (insert random website here) news source. And drop the Fox News garbage, I don't watch it. Seems to me that most of it's audience on this board is anti-Bush, which is pretty ironic.

spurster
03-15-2005, 09:33 AM
This spins an old story and the NY Times article about as far as you can go.

Before the war, the UN was monitoring many sites in Iraq which were used in Iraq's chemical and nuclear programs before the first Iraq war. BushCo's claims about stockpiles of WMDs was completely separate from the equipment and material that the UN and everybody else knew about.

Maybe an honest quote from the beginning of the article would help:

In the weeks after Baghdad fell in April 2003, looters systematically dismantled and removed tons of machinery from Saddam Hussein's most important weapons installations, including some with high-precision equipment capable of making parts for nuclear arms, a senior Iraqi official said this week in the government's first extensive comments on the looting.

The Iraqi official, Sami al-Araji, the deputy minister of industry, said it appeared that a highly organized operation had pinpointed specific plants in search of valuable equipment, some of which could be used for both military and civilian applications, and carted the machinery away.

Dr. Araji said his account was based largely on observations by government employees and officials who either worked at the sites or lived near them.

"They came in with the cranes and the lorries, and they depleted the whole sites," Dr. Araji said. "They knew what they were doing; they knew what they want. This was sophisticated looting."

The threat posed by these types of facilities was cited by the Bush administration as a reason for invading Iraq, but the installations were left largely unguarded by allied forces in the chaotic months after the invasion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah, no one's ever used dual-use equipment for military development before.

Signed,

Germany
North Korea
Russia
etc.

I didn't leave anything out, you just cling to anything that will try and support whatever spin you're trying to put on this.

I'm sure Saddam was seeking to develop a nuclear program for purely civilian reasons :lol

What's next Dan? Hitler wasn't trying to exterminate the Jews, just give them a better life, right?

spurster
03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Does anybody have any reading comprehension anymore? The article was about stuff the UN knew about and was monitoring until the US invaded and decided not to guard any of it.

JohnnyMarzetti
03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
That's why you ain't hearing nothing about this on FauxNews.

It'll make their poster boy Dubya look like the fool that he is.

Hook Dem
03-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Atta boy Johnny! Now it's the other side's turn! :lol

ChumpDumper
03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
That wasn't the story at all. Why would the Times quote itself and say it "stunningly" turned itself around.

Pretty disingenuous, AHF. This is more like Jim's work.

Interested in the truth of this matter? Read the actual story. I dare you.

Nice spin attempt, though.