PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan's ankle improves, but Parker's thigh doesn't

Kori Ellis
03-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Most of this has already been reported in other threads, but here you go ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031405.1D.BKNspurs.hornets.adv.13694ef37.html

Duncan's ankle improves, but Parker's thigh doesn't
Web Posted: 03/14/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

His sprained right ankle already on the mend and his back feeling significantly looser than it did 24 hours earlier, Tim Duncan participated in the Spurs' light practice Sunday afternoon.

Duncan is expected to play tonight against New Orleans, provided he isn't struck by a falling piano. His return would be all the more welcomed considering Tony Parker has joined Manu Ginobili on the training table.

Parker arrived at the team's practice facility Sunday morning with a knot on his left thigh, the result of a quadriceps contusion he suffered in the previous night's loss to Denver. He was kneed in the thigh during the game but continued to play. The bruise worsened overnight.

"He can't walk very well," coach Gregg Popovich said. "That's why we say he might have a tough time (playing)."

While Parker's status for tonight is questionable, Ginobili almost certainly won't be in uniform. He spent much of Sunday's workout in the pool doing exercises to strengthen his groin and isn't expected to play until Wednesday at the earliest.

Ginobili and Duncan have missed the past two games, both Spurs losses. Duncan's ankle was strong enough to allow him to play against the Nuggets, but he tweaked his back at Saturday morning's shootaround. He was scratched from the lineup shortly before tipoff.

"Timmy felt better (Sunday)," Popovich said. "His back kind of released itself. He's probably good for (New Orleans) unless something else pops up.

"That really surprised us. It surprised him, too. That was just a freak thing."

Parker also has had knee tendinitis, but it hasn't kept him from playing, Popovich said. His latest injury could cause him to miss his first game this season.

"We're not sitting people to give them rest," Popovich said. "I've actually had one person ask me if I'm enjoying this and if I had some sinister plan to sit guys and lose games and have that help us in some sort of roundabout way.

"Guys who are not playing are not healthy enough to play."

The Spurs did remove Nazr Mohammed from their infirmary report Saturday. After missing the previous four games with a groin strain, he contributed seven points, nine rebounds and a block in 16 minutes against Denver.

"I'm definitely a lot stronger than I've been since I've been here," said Mohammed, who injured his groin more than a month ago when he was playing for New York. "I just hope to keep improving."

The Spurs have been pleased with Mohammed's progress, despite his recent absence. Since they acquired him for Malik Rose and a pair of first-round draft picks, Mohammed has appeared in three games, totaling 15 points, 16 rebounds and a pair of blocks in 38 minutes.

Five of Mohammed's rebounds against the Nuggets were on the offensive end and led to all seven of his points. He also made a couple of nice passes to Tony Massenburg to set up two easy baskets.

"The times he's been on the court, he's shown an uncanny ability to fit in quickly and understand what's going on," Popovich said. "He's done a real good job."

When Mohammed and Massenburg, who has begun working at power forward, were on the floor together Saturday, the Spurs scaled back their offense considerably. Both played well, and Popovich continued to praise the effort against Denver.

The Spurs had chances to win both games they played without their All-Stars. Moral victories, however, haven't improved the team's record.

"We don't want to get used to doing much without those guys," Devin Brown said. "But while they're out, we still have basketball games to play. We can't keep letting games like this slip away."

Mark in Austin
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Duncan is expected to play tonight against New Orleans, provided he isn't struck by a falling piano.

:lol Ludden's feeling his oats today...

Rummpd
03-14-2005, 07:40 AM
"Mohammed has appeared in three games, totaling 15 points, 16 rebounds and a pair of blocks in 38 minutes."

STOUT by any measure! Exactly what the Spurs wanted and need to fill the hole of Rose and get some additive size etc. Most impressed by the blocks and also the passing of this guy! Also seems to have a nice attitude.