PDA

View Full Version : Blazers proving to be more than potential

tlongII
03-22-2009, 04:36 PM
http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=303

No one's paying much attention to the Portland Trail Blazers, and that's a shame.

Those people are missing the NBA's next potential dynasty.

This year's Blazers seem to have it all -- a young stud who can take over games when necessary (Brandon Roy), a solid nucleus of frontcourt players who can rebound and score in a variety of ways (Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge and Channing Frye) and athletic swingmen who can defend and score in transition or from the perimeter (Travis Outlaw, Rudy Fernandez).

The funny thing is many expected all this talent to blossom in coming years, just not so soon.

Someone forgot to tell the Blazers, however.

Together they have earned the sixth seed in the Western Conference as of Sunday morning, claiming a 44-26 record.

Having won six of their last 10 games, the Blazers are a confident and balanced bunch, and they've become that way via defense.

Portland ranks eighth in the league in points allowed and opponents' field-goal percentage.

For all of their offensive talent, the Blazers' strength shines when opponents have the ball, which is telling for a young group and a sure sign that they can win in the postseason.

"I'm big on feeling -- how we are winning -- and I think we are starting to win the right way," Roy told The Oregonian on Saturday. "Guys are maturing mentally, we are getting tougher. Everybody. I think our mental toughness is becoming our biggest strength."

Physical toughness and a willingness to grit and pull toward wins had been a question mark for Portland entering this season.

After all, Aldridge and Frye are jump-shooting bigs, and Fernandez and point guard Steve Blake prefer to do a lot of their damage from long distance or on the fly.

But its recent road trip has been a positive, as Portland finished 3-2 on the five-game stand and came back pleased despite spending most of the trip battered and exhausted.

"You look at our guys' faces and it will tell about this trip," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said following Portland's 96-84 win over Milwaukee on Saturday. "You know, our guys are banged up. We have concussions, scratches, ankle sprains, swollen elbows ... it has been a battle. But we know we have games to go, and we are not giving in. This is the time of the season when you dig in."

That they have, and come the playoffs, the Blazers will be better off for it.

Their progress throughout the season has been significant, and they are peaking at the right time, playing playoff basketball in the regular season.

For example, considering the youth and inexperience of the squad, Portland has been dynamic in closing games, winning 32 of 35 when holding the lead after the third quarter.

The Blazers are also 8-1 in games decided by three points or less, thanks to the control and decision-making of Roy and his array of playmakers in the closing minutes, as well as to its aggressive interior defense.

If the postseason started today, Portland would face off against Houston (46-25), which lacks offensive firepower but is renowned for its tenacity and hunger for defense and rebounding.

If the next few weeks hold up to where that scenario remains, the Blazers will have gotten a taste of what it's like to play against the Rockets.

Houston lacks a surefire superstar -- Yao Ming has yet to prove demanding and willing enough to take over games late in the fourth quarter, and Ron Artest needs a more disciplined shot selection -- while Portland boasts arguably the league's most underrated star in Roy, who is averaging 23.1 points, 5.2 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game while also proving to be a clutch shot-maker when it counts (i.e. his buzzer-beating 3-point dagger to defeat Houston in November).

Entering this year, the Blazers were the league's most intriguing team, with a talent-laden roster heavy in potential.

Come April, however, it's possible they'll be the team no one wants to see in the playoffs.

Lars
03-22-2009, 05:25 PM
http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=303
Come April, however, it's possible they'll be the team no one wants to see in the playoffs.

No I'm pretty sure they are still the team everyone wants to play.

Allanon
03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
If every game was played in the Rose Garden, I'd give the Blazers about 60-70% chance of winning the Championship.

Blazers are 16-20 away from the Rose Garden, that's why every team with homecourt wants to play them or the 14-20 road Jazz.

manufor3
03-22-2009, 05:32 PM
can we make "The official Portland thread for TlongII" or a portland forum? because its just getting annoying how many blazer threads there are

Bob Lanier
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
A Channing Frye reference!

tlongII
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
A Channing Frye reference!

Yeah, I'm not sure what that's about? :lol

iggypop123
03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
and then add to that road record who they exactly beat on the road. not many playoff teams if they even beat 1. its basically steal 1 in the rose garden and the series is over for any matchup

Ghazi
03-23-2009, 02:12 AM
lol that they used defense and Portland in the same sentence. Portland's like 18th or 19th in the league as far as efficiency.

21_Blessings
03-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Blazers are a fringe playoff team. Nothing special, especially that Oden guy.

21_Blessings
03-23-2009, 06:02 AM
If every game was played in the Rose Garden, I'd give the Blazers about 60-70% chance of winning the Championship.

More like a 60-70% of being the 1st seed. In the playoffs though, Portland would implode to the Lakers per usual, just as their predecessors did.

Morg1411
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Blazers are 1st round fodder, and little else. Next.