PDA

View Full Version : Grades - Spurs vs. Rockets Mar. 22

timvp
03-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Tim Duncan C
Got some points from his jumper early on but didn't do much of anything else the rest of the game.

Tony Parker B-
His 22 points and 12 assists helped carry the team but his shooting percentage, turnovers and late miss hurt his grade.

Roger Mason, Jr. C-
Mason's struggles as the backup point seem to be negatively affecting the rest of his game.

Kurt Thomas A-
Good post defense, rebounding and came up big late in the contest.

Michael Finley D+
Did next to nothing in his 25 minutes of action.

Ime Udoka A
Best game of the season for Udoka as he scored 16 points and pulled down seven rebounds.

Matt Bonner C+
He was abused in the first half but bounced back for a better final two quarters.

Bruce Bowen B+
Very good defense but the Rockets were ignoring him on the other end of the court.

George Hill C
Hesitant offensively and didn't have his usual impact on the defensive end.

Drew Gooden C
Hurting more than helping at this point. Hopefully it's simply growing pains.

Pop C-
Good move starting Thomas but his wacky rotations down the stretch helped doom the Spurs.

-------------------

Please submit your own grades for this game. I will post the cumulative SpursTalk.com grades in two hours from the time of this post.

(Grading now closed. Results below.)

-------------------

SpursTalk's Average Grades

Tim Duncanhttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif C+

Tony Parkerhttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif B

Roger Mason, Jr.http://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif D+

Kurt Thomashttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif A

Michael Finleyhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif D

Ime Udokahttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif A+

Matt Bonnerhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif C

Bruce Bowen B+

George Hillhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif C-

Drew Gooden C

polandprzem
03-22-2009, 05:35 PM
timvp why are you so hight on Tim?

IMO he is looking really bad. He is not creating, he is not a force inside. And even in a plays that are drawn for him he can't finish. He even double thinking wide open midrangers ...

Mr. Body
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Luis Scola A+++

Texas_Ranger
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Mason F+

jag
03-22-2009, 05:37 PM
timvp why are you so hight on Tim?

IMO he is looking really bad. He is not creating, he is not a force inside. And even in a plays that are drawn for him he can't finish. He even double thinking wide open midrangers ...

You have got to be one of the worst posters on this board.

Tim played very well...especially considering the problems he's having with his knees. Even the Rocket's extremely homer commentators were making mention of Yao being dominated.

WalterBenitez
03-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Tim Duncan B-

Tony Parker B-
(That last two plays really lost our game)

Roger Mason, Jr. D
Mason's has no idea about what were his doing, Nazr can handle the ball better.

Kurt Thomas A-
Great game.

Michael Finley Z+
He allowed us to play 4 against 5, period.

Ime Udoka A
Great game.

Matt Bonner C+
Horrible.

Bruce Bowen B+
Sacrifice and dirty work as usual.

George Hill C
Who?.

Drew Gooden C
Who???.

Pop C-
Pop isn't having a good game.

polandprzem
03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
You have got to be one of the worst posters on this board.

Tim played very well...especially considering the problems he's having with his knees. Even the Rocket's extremely homer commentators were making mention of Yao being dominated.

Do you know how Tim Duncan can play or you just forgot ?

alchemist
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Bench in the 2nd Quarter = The Ghey

Tony and Tim have to exert more energy due to the horrible play by them.

The Franchise
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
No credit goes to the Rockets Defense?

kace
03-22-2009, 05:43 PM
good grades.

but i don't agree with the fact to grade players considering what we should expect from them. JV would get a A+ if he is 2-2 FG and don't turn the ball in his 3 minutes of action when Tim or Tony will have a B or C if they don't carry the team as usual.

I prefer the grades considering the level of basketball of a player in a game, whatever his statut (star or scrub) is. I think we could consider a C a good mark for a scrub and a B an average grade for a superstar. but seeing gooden having the same grade as tim in this game disturb me.

but once again, considering the way of grading you choose, the grades are pretty accurate.

timvp
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I prefer the grades considering the level of basketball of a player in a game, whatever his statut (star or scrub) is. I think we could consider a C a good mark for a scrub and a B an average grade for a superstar. but seeing gooden having the same grade as tim in this game disturb me.If I graded like that, the grades would be:

Duncan A
Ginobili B
Parker B
Everyone Else F

Rinse, repeat for 82 games.

spursfan09

Grades based on Spurs players. Not grades based on Rockets Defense

WalterBenitez

Come on red boy, we sucks at defense, you saw how easy your boys went into the paint???

Marcus Bryant
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Props to the Spurs on winning the 2008 NBA Income Statement Championship. Props to AggieHoopsfan and fellow butt buddy 50cent.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Pop = F

Not going to Bowen early/often enough.
Continuing to use Mason as the backup point.
F'ing up the substitutions in the second half, resulting in Tony playing 22 of the last 24 minutes.

The Franchise
03-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Grades based on Spurs players. Not grades based on Rockets Defense

I'm sorry I should have made it a little clearer. I was responding to all the comments that the players sucked and choked. Considering that they were playing against a very good defense, and without Ginobili, I thought some people were being to harsh.

Dingle Barry
03-22-2009, 05:49 PM
R.C. Buford- F

spursfan09
03-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry I should have made it a little clearer. I was responding to all the comments that the players sucked and choked. Considering that they were playing against a very good defense, and without Ginobili, I thought some people were being to harsh.

Yes good defense by the rockets.

kace
03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
If I graded like that, the grades would be:

Duncan A
Ginobili B
Parker B
Everyone Else F

Rinse, repeat for 82 games.

yes, but it still allows to judge a player. like i said, a C would be a low for tim and a high for JV.

the way you do, it implies that you choose the level of basketball a player should provide, and after you judge him by this expectation. more subjective way to grade.

anyway, each way has his good and bad aspects. good grade though IMO.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
i gotta disagree with this evaluation of tim. he did well on offense and did well on yao as well as altering lots of rocket penetration. he didn't get any blocks but they missed a lot of lay-ups because of tim's contesting the shots.

Spurs Brazil
03-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Pop = F

F'ing up the substitutions in the second half, resulting in Tony playing 22 of the last 24 minutes.

:tu

tomtom
03-22-2009, 06:09 PM
This is becoming beyond ridiculous, Mason simply cannot continue playing the point

sammy
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Tim Duncan B
Did well in the first half, but seemed off.

Tony Parker B
He carried the team, but needs to stop dribbling too much time off the clock and give the ball to Timmy who can kick it out to the shooters at the end of the game!

Roger Mason, Jr. D
Mason has not been in the game lately! Too many turnovers and can't seem to handle the ball or steps out of bounds alot! He can't hit his shot, don't know if playing back PG is affecting his game! He needs to get to the gym and practice shooting!

Kurt Thomas A
Good post defense, rebounding and played hard throughout the game, needs to start with Timmy and bench Bonner!

Michael Finley F
Did nothing in the last few games! Looks old and really needs to come off the bench! He will have a good game every once in a while and then revert back to shooting bricks! He's a defensive liability!

Ime Udoka A+
Awesome game. Udoka scored 16 points and 7 rebounds. Too bad Pop took him out and gave this game to Houston! Gee thanks Pop for helping us lose this game! Stupid decision!

Matt Bonner D
This is guy is a scrub and needs to come off the bench! He's a defensive liability and leaves Timmy out to dry! Never in his defensive rotation and Timmy having to cover his player as well as Bonner's because he's not guarding his guy! He's reverted back to his no confidence in his shots and passes the ball so what use is he to the team to be on the floor and taking minutes from Oberto or Hairston!

Bruce Bowen A
Very good defense and shut down Artest! Too bad Pop waited too long to bring him in and maybe we would've won this game as well as the Boston game! Shameful!

George Hill C
Hesitant offensively and didn't have his usual impact on the defensive end.

Drew Gooden C+
He did some good, rebounding but his turnovers hurt us in this game.

Pop F
Stupid decisions that costs us the game against Boston and Houston! Putting Bowen in the game too late and taking out Udoka when he had the hot hand! Needs to bench Finley and Bonner!

RC/POP F+
RC/Pop deserves an F+ for letting Scola go for nothing! He turned out to bite us in the ass! Gee thanks alot!

tlongII
03-22-2009, 06:16 PM
George Hill was 0 for 2 with one foul and had no other measurable statistics. That's all it takes for a C?

wildbill2u
03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Pop = F

Watching the game in Houston I agreed with Clyde Drexler and Bill Otherguy that Artest was abusing Finley at will. Mason didn't do much.

At the end I would have had Oberto on Scola because he's so smart and knows Scola like a book, is smart and would have stayed with Scola--especially after they ran the back screen to him once. Bowen on Artest worked pretty well. Parker on Brooks, Tim on Yao, and Udoka on their SG.

I think Tony is simply running out of gas in the fourth quarter from carrying this team on his back.

Spursmania
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Pop = F

Completely agree. I was at the game screaming my ass off for Bowen. Pop puts Bowen in After Artest was already hot and had scored 20 points. After Bowen got done with him, he only scored 4 more points. Bowen=effective Defense.

Mason is pathetic as a PG.

Pop please get serious about the rotations....:bang

WalterBenitez
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Completely agree. I was at the game screaming my ass off for Bowen. Pop puts Bowen in After Artest was already hot and had scored 20 points. After Bowen got done with him, he only scored 4 more points. Bowen=effective Defense.

Mason is pathetic as a PG.

Pop please get serious about the rotations....:bang

Yeap Hill make a better job at PG, not sure why POP insists with Mason, I love Mason when he shot from 3s, but running the team is a joke.

temujin
03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
The whole off season was about finding a backup PG.
Hill gets selected.
Hill has no experience whatsover of serious basketball.
Hill exceeds expectations, and helps win several games.

By February, just about anybody plays backup PG EXCEPT George Hill.

Where is the logic in all this?

temujin
03-22-2009, 06:36 PM
At any rate, if Duncan cannot get better physically (he has obvious problems), you can forget about the rest of the season.

timvp
03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Hill gets selected.

Where is the logic in all this?Interesting point.

Pop sucks at coaching backup point guards. The worst thing to happen to Mason this year was getting that job. Now he sucks like every other point guard in the last dozen years.

Same pattern.

MaNu4Tres
03-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I really think people are over reacting on our back up pg position. We have a lot more issues to worry about other than someone who will bring the ball up 10 minutes a game.

benefactor
03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I really think people are over reacting on our back up pg position. We have a lot more issues to worry about other than someone who will bring the ball up 10 minutes a game.
Well it becomes and issue when that person either A. Dribbles around for 15 seconds. B. Gets the ball stolen because he has bad handles or C. Drives to the basket and gets rejected.

temujin
03-22-2009, 06:48 PM
A PG is not just soemone that brings the ball up.

Parker was dead at the end, but a dead parker is still far superior to the nonsense that goes on when when he is pulled out of the game.
Everybody standing, waiting for pick'n'roll without issue, unless the center makes an18 footer.
No fastbreak, no transition offense.

celldweller
03-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Pop = F

AMEN!! Now talk some sense to your hubby!!:lol

Mal
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Udoka A
Great game
Paker B
Good game. To many stupid shots.
Duncan C-
Awful
Mason D
Thanks for lost, Rog
Finley D
Have no balls to shot, giving ball to Parker for airball... Completly no effort whole game.
Thomas B
Good one. He is not a star, but very solid roles.
Bruce B-
Someone who stop Artest. Good one in Defens. Nothing in offens.
Pop D
Udoka was playing his best game , why you put Mason, who sucked whole week ??

picnroll
03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Another year with the Spurs having no backup PG. sigh

When Parker and Duncan went out toward the end of the first the Spurs went south.

WalterBenitez
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Hill gets selected.

Where is the logic in all this?

Probably POP doesn't count with him or find him insecure, don't know but certainly he made a better job that Mason.

temujin
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
OK, before going to bed.

Here is my advice to Pop.

Parker plays 30' from now on. Maximum.
Give Hill the backup job FOR GOOD and stick to it. Make him feel important.
More playing time for Thomas, Bowen and Udoka, that are fresher and bring in some defense.
More Gooden, less Duncan, far less Duncan, and no Duncan whatsoever in back-to-backs.

Bring the devil Argie in slowly. VERY slowly.

Forget about the standings, there won't be any HCA.

Just get ready for the playoffs.

picnroll
03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Hill cannot initiate the offensive in the half court. He does nothing to breakdown the defense or create shots. At this point he's nowhere close to a PG and that's why Pop has given up on him playing at that position. Unfortunately Mason doesn't do a very good job of breaking down the defense or creating shots either.

BackHome
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok- My first time posting and I am sure to piss off the natives but Hill is not a point guard. He has no court vision and does not have dribble ability to penetrate the paint or create easy shots for his team mates. He also has not shown the ability to hit the wide open shots (Celtics Game) nor can he finish at the rim like our other packup Mason.

Duncan - B- He is Tim Duncan so alot is expected
Tony -B+ - He sometimes seems to be the longe ranger out there
Ime - A- He had a great game
Mason -D- He is starting to remind me of Naz.
Hill - D - Would have given him and F but he didn't play enough
Bonner - C - He did OK
Bowen - B - Played great D
Finley - D - He seems old today
Thomas - A - Another great game

timvp
03-22-2009, 07:39 PM
SpursTalk's Average Grades

Tim Duncanhttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif C+

Tony Parkerhttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif B

Roger Mason, Jr.http://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif D+

Kurt Thomashttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif A

Michael Finleyhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif D

Ime Udokahttp://spurstalk.com/up_arrow.gif A+

Matt Bonnerhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif C

Bruce Bowen B+

George Hillhttp://spurstalk.com/down_arrow.gif C-

Drew Gooden C

Forgot to put Pop on the grading sheet. :td

Thanks to all who submitted their grades.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Spurs will miss the playoffs

Manufan909
03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Ok- My first time posting and I am sure to piss off the natives but Hill is not a point guard. He has no court vision and does not have dribble ability to penetrate the paint or create easy shots for his team mates. He also has not shown the ability to hit the wide open shots (Celtics Game) nor can he finish at the rim like our other packup Mason.

That right there has you in the running for worst first post ever. Bonner is better finishing than Mase.

I wonder if anyone on the team(includng vet players like Timmy, Tony, Bruce, and Manu, or assistant coaches/assistants) has second thoughts about Mason getting the PG minutes, and has talked to Pop about it. Hill should really starting getting all of the backup PG minutes, cuz Mason is better off the ball. And Hill could be a huge plus in the POs, but he needs consistent minutes.

loveforthegame
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
We can't have Finley taking only 1 shot. His fault for passing up shots because I'd rather see him miss than pass up on open jumper. I'm surprised Pop didn't bench him for that alone.

BackHome
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
The only realy Mason is playing point is that Hill sucks.....

Agloco
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Not for Tim's performance. Credit goes to his knees for that.

Agloco
03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Spurs will miss the playoffs

If Phoenix wins out and the Spurs go 5 and 8, yes. :rolleyes

Agloco
03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
At any rate, if Duncan cannot get better physically (he has obvious problems), you can forget about the rest of the season.

This sums things up.....

The boat is stuck in port if Tim continues to play like this.