PDA

View Full Version : Catching Up with Larry Kenon

CyberBob
03-14-2005, 07:57 AM
He was an NBA All-Star starter. He’s a player who's numbers speak for themselves. Don Harris goes one-on-one with one of the greatest players in Spurs history and answers the question… Whatever happened to Dr. K?

Click here... (http://woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=80836D23-A842-41B2-B882-D50638481670)

Solid D
03-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for posting the link to the interview, CyberBob. I was able to see it last night on TV but there are many who were unable to tune in. Here is a link to career stats for Kenon, who goes by Muhsin Kenon now. He has some very talented daughters, at least two of which played Volleyball at the major college level.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/Kenon.html

exstatic
03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Special K was a big part, along with Ice and Si, of the seamless transistion from top flite ABA franchise to top flite NBA franchise. He was sort of the Matrix of his day, an undersized quality rebounder who could average 20 points, and did for four straight years in SA. In addition, he was a three time ABA All Star and two time NBA All Star.

Phenomanul
03-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Special K was a big part, along with Ice and Si, of the seamless transistion from top flite ABA franchise to top flite NBA franchise. He was sort of the Matrix of his day, an undersized quality rebounder who could average 20 points, and did for four straight years in SA. In addition, he was a three time ABA All Star and two time NBA All Star.

Why isn't he considered for Jersey retirement????????

travis2
03-14-2005, 12:25 PM

1. He only played here for 5 years.
2. He didn't maintain relationships with the front office. Nothing acrimonious, mind you...he just chose to drop off the radar.

wildbill2u
03-14-2005, 01:03 PM

Special K was just that: a very special player. It's a shame he's been so reclusive all these years because Spurs fans from those ABA days and the transition to the NBA really loved the guy.

We all knew he was one of those players who came to call SA home, but never knew exactly what he was doing.

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:18 PM
1. He only played here for 5 years.
2. He didn't maintain relationships with the front office. Nothing acrimonious, mind you...he just chose to drop off the radar.

Johnny Moore was a Spur for about 5 seasons and he has his number up in the rafters.

And how does closeness with the team after he retired factor into any of this?

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:22 PM

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:25 PM

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:26 PM

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:27 PM

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:30 PM

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:33 PM
And he played after that too, you know...

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:34 PM

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes, he played until 1990.

But, between 1988 and 1990 he played for NJ.

His last "full season" with the Spurs was in 1987.

He was here from 1981-1987.

That's 6 seasons.

Again, why is his number up there and Larry's isn't?

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, he played until 1990.

But, between 1988 and 1990 he played for NJ.

His last "full season" with the Spurs was in 1987.

He was here from 1981-1987.

That's 6 seasons.

Again, why is his number up there and Larry's isn't?

Answer that one... little boy.

He played more for the Spurs than for the Nets in 1988.

He then played 53 games for the Spurs in 1990.

Game, set, match.

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, half seasons, glad you count them.

Number of games played in Johnny Moore's last three Spurs seasons:

28, 55, 53.

That's what, a season and a half.

Not too mention his production was way done.

If Johnny Moore has his number up there, if AJ is getting his up there, then you bet your ass Larry K does as well.

travis2
03-14-2005, 01:58 PM

travis2
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Solid D
03-14-2005, 02:02 PM
http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=KenonLa01

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MOOREJO01

TheWriter
03-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Kori Ellis
03-14-2005, 02:06 PM
One more remark from Writer or Travis in this thread and you will be banned for 2 weeks.

Thanks for f'ing up my forum. :flipoff

Solid D
03-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Johnny Moore played 1 Game in NJ.

CHAMPS AGAIN
03-14-2005, 02:15 PM
One more remark from Writer or Travis in this thread and you will be banned for 2 weeks.

Thanks for f'ing up my forum. :flipoff

ban for life

travis2
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
My apologies to you and all, Kori.

I will desist.

exstatic
03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Kenon could be considered. I don't know if he will. If you're counting NBA seasons, Si played five to Kenon's four in SA. Si was selected twice as an ABA All Star, but not at all in the NBA, while Kenon was select to 3 ABA and 2 NBA AS teams.

To me, Kenon is like the old skool version of AJ: a borderline jersey retiree candidate. AJ obviously had the on court creds, but is a Houstonian much more than a San Antonian, which kinda puts a strike in the community involvement area. You don't even want to live here? Kenon lives here, but is also not terribly plugged in, to put it mildly. To me, AJ goes up because it was a three player era of success for the Spurs: David, Sean, and AJ from 89-97 when the Duncan era began. They had some success, and made it as far as the conference finals. I think that Kenon should go up, too, as part of his three player Spurs era, Ice, Si, and Special K, and because his on the court accomplishments warrant it. That era's team also made it to the conference finals, albeit in the Eastern Conference.

I wonder if Kenon was maybe a bit quitetly disenchanted with the Drosos/McCombs/Bass Spurs, but would be more receptive to working with the current regime doing some community work?

exstatic
03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Travis made a remark! Ban him! :lmao

JK

Kori Ellis
03-14-2005, 02:38 PM
AJ obviously had the on court creds, but is a Houstonian much more than a San Antonian, which kinda puts a strike in the community involvement area. You don't even want to live here?

Don't spread misinformation. Yes, AJ's primary residence is near Houston, but AJ not only has one of his houses in San Antonio, he has also spent A LOT of money on community projects and businesses in the San Antonio area.

travis2
03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Kenon could be considered. I don't know if he will. If you're counting NBA seasons, Si played five to Kenon's four in SA. Si was selected twice as an ABA All Star, but not at all in the NBA, while Kenon was select to 3 ABA and 2 NBA AS teams.

To me, Kenon is like the old skool version of AJ: a borderline jersey retiree candidate. AJ obviously had the on court creds, but is a Houstonian much more than a San Antonian, which kinda puts a strike in the community involvement area. You don't even want to live here? Kenon lives here, but is also not terribly plugged in, to put it mildly. To me, AJ goes up because it was a three player era of success for the Spurs: David, Sean, and AJ from 89-97 when the Duncan era began. They had some success, and made it as far as the conference finals. I think that Kenon should go up, too, as part of his three player Spurs era, Ice, Si, and Special K, and because his on the court accomplishments warrant it. That era's team also made it to the conference finals, albeit in the Eastern Conference.

I wonder if Kenon was maybe a bit quitetly disenchanted with the Drosos/McCombs/Bass Spurs, but would be more receptive to working with the current regime doing some community work?

I think that line says it all. Not making any kind of judgement...it is what it is.

I think it's instructive that even among old school fans, when Kenon's name comes up, it seems the reaction is "...who? Oh yeah, I remember him...whatever happened to that guy?" Not with a bang, but with a whimper...

travis2
03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Travis made a remark! Ban him! :lmao

JK

*shhhhhhhhh*

exstatic
03-14-2005, 02:53 PM
That was actually more of an opinion than misinformation, Kori. I'm not implying that he didn't or doesn't do community work. I recognize that he has a house here, but at the end of the day, when he flies "home", I'll bet it's either to Hobby or Bush airport. I still support his jersey going up.

Trav - Kenon's career here started almost 30 years ago. It's not surprising that not a ton of fans know who he is. I think his jersey should go up, and you don't, but today's fans don't know who he is isn't really a valid reason to keep him from having his jersey retired. A lot of them wouldn't know who Si was if his jersey weren't already up there.

travis2
03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Trav - Kenon's career here started almost 30 years ago. It's not surprising that not a ton of fans know who he is. I think his jersey should go up, and you don't, but today's fans don't know who he is isn't really a valid reason to keep him from having his jersey retired. A lot of them wouldn't know who Si was if his jersey weren't already up there.

:wtf

I never said that...I was just pointing out some facts...

To be honest, I'm kinda on the fence about it...

travis2
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Let me clarify that one...

By "on the fence" I mean, basically, "enh, whatever...". If the powers that be decide his jersey should hang, I am not going to be against.

His on-court credentials are certainly more than worthy.

Five years is a bit of a problem. Not so much of one that I am against it....it's more that I can see the possible arguments. Same with community involvement.

But jersey hanging is an in-exact science on its best days, and I'm in no position to advance research into its dark corners. So I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch for the most part.

exstatic
03-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh, OK. I thought you were anti-jersey on Kenon. I'm pretty sure AJs is going up, probably next year, and that there will likely be a gap until the next round, which could consist of Tim, Manu, Tony, or any combination of the three. It would be nice to recognize Kenon while a few people still remember him.

travis2
03-14-2005, 03:27 PM
You trying to get me tossed? :lmao

j/k

Phenomanul
03-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow.......... I've never seen so many Kori edits in one thread.....

She is the :princess and her sovereign will be done!!!! :angel

I am a bit curious to know what all those posts said however..(kinda like the Oracle and Neo conversation regarding the vase; now that all those posts are deleted, I am more drawn to want to know what their mysterious content said)....

2centsworth
03-14-2005, 04:37 PM
If the Spurs are going to pay tribute to the guys who helped start the franchise, Larry should be at the top of the List. He personifies the fantastic talent the Spurs Franchise has been blessed with. BTW, Larry is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He was also just as good if not better than Jermaine Oneil.

nicrae
03-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Not only was Mr K a great player in rebounds and points, but he also still holds the NBA record for most steals in a game ( 11)! Would love to see his number retired. Like they say what did Johnny Moore do?? Also K has been a San Antonian since his player years and has raised his family in this community. His daughters were/are local volley ball champs as well for Clark HS. Although he has not advertised his Spur connection (nor try to capitalize on it), he has made his home here for almost 30 years. Artis Gilmore can't say that and does AJ live here?

Drachen
03-15-2005, 12:18 AM
These three were the biggest reasons that their first season as an NBA team, the spurs made it to the eastern conference finals, where they were up on the washington bullets 3-1 and were sumarily robbed of their opportunity to gun for the title by those three other players that were dressed in black and white!

wildbill2u
03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Does a player have to be a model SA citizen and live here forever to get his number retired? I'm not sure that should be an important criteria, although it might tip the decision on a marginally qualified player. Silas wasn't a model citizen, but he deserved to have his jersey retired on talent alone.

To be honest, although J.Moore's comeback game was the most emotional thing I've seen as a Spurs fan, I don't think his on court achievements really merited a jersey retirement.

I hope all of you went to the WOAI site and saw the outtakes from Kenon's career. Watching him fly for a dunk and make one of those unbelievable moves to the basket reminded me of what a talent he was. He should have his number retired.

alamo50
03-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Of course Kenon's friends never wanted Donny to go bother him!