PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Suffer Late-Game Letdown

duncan228
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Headline updated.

Rockets lead division as Spurs stumble

Spurs suffer late-game letdown (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_suffer_late-game_letdown.html)
Jeff McDonald

From Luis Scola’s perspective, there were two key turns of events in the waning moments Sunday afternoon. Only one surprised him.

“I saw the ball coming toward me,” he said, “and I saw that the basket was open.”

That the ball was headed to Scola with the game on the line wasn’t unexpected. On this day, he had been Houston’s leading scorer not named Ron Artest.

That the basket was so wide open? Against the Spurs? In crunch time of a need-to-win game in March?

Scola couldn’t have been more surprised had he woken up Sunday morning in a Spurs uniform.

Taking advantage of the Spurs’ late defensive lapse, Scola slipped in for a layup off a feed from Yao Ming with 11.2 seconds to go, providing the Rockets’ go-ahead points in an 87-85 victory at the AT&T Center.

“We had some defensive breakdowns at the end of the game,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “We know that’s where the game is won.”

Or, more often for the Spurs lately, where it is lost.

It was the Spurs’ third loss in four games to come down to a final possession, a stretch of crunch-time anti-heroics that has evicted them from first place in the Southwest Division for the first time since Jan. 6.

Houston (47-25) takes over pole position, moving a half-game ahead in both the divisional chase and the race for the Western Conference’s second seed.

The Spurs (45-24), who led 79-72 with 5:58 to play Sunday, had two chances to re-take a lead in the final seconds. With the Spurs behind 86-85, Tony Parker missed a running jumper. Scola rebounded and was purposefully fouled with 0.3 seconds left.

After making the first free throw, Scola tried to intentionally miss the second to allow time to run out.

Instead, Scola accidentally sunk the free throw, eliciting a groan from the Houston bench. Let the record show it was the second straight game at the AT&T Center in which a team bemoaned its fate at the foul line.

Scola finished with 19 points and 17 rebounds, trailing only Ron Artest (23 points) for the team lead.

Down to a last shot, the Spurs’ Matt Bonner got an unfettered look at a 3-pointer from the top of the arc. It hit the back of the rim.

“I thought it was in,” Bonner said. “Anyone who has ever shot a basketball knows that feeling. A shot leaves your hand and you think, ‘It’s in, it’s in.’ And then it doesn’t go in.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich couldn’t complain about his team’s final shot. Their best long-ball shooter trying a potential game-winning 3-pointer is as good as it gets.

Instead, Popovich could and did grumble about the end-game defensive hiccups that made a Hail Mary at the horn necessary.

“We made three defensive errors down the stretch that really cost us,” he said. “Just bad execution the last three possessions was the ball game.”

Popovich declined to name the party responsible for Scola’s go-ahead layup, but as the teams exited the floor, there was a clue. Popovich was last seen barking at Tim Duncan.

After the game, Duncan fessed up.

“It was my fault,” said Duncan, who did contribute 23 points for his first 20-point game since Feb. 17. “(Yao) popped to the top. I didn’t see anybody rotating to him, so I tried to kind of half-rotate to him. I thought he was shooting the ball, so I turned the block out.

“(The pass) went right by my head.”

Duncan had reason to be looking elsewhere. Asked after the game how many times Yao had hit Scola for such a layup, Houston coach Rick Adelman chuckled.

“Twice,” he said. “That’s about it.”

The other had come seconds earlier, when Yao first found Scola to give the Rockets a short-lived 84-83 lead.

The Spurs got a second surprise a few moments later, after Parker answered with a go-ahead layup of his own.

Then, Yao and Scola hooked up for an encore. This one would give way to permanent shock, and ultimate defeat.

“It’s a huge loss, especially with the race as close as it is,” Duncan said. “We came in here knowing the importance of this game. Just wish it could have bounced the other way.”

duncan228
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
The other side.

Rockets rip first place away from Spurs (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6331130.html)
Houston executes down the stretch for big road win
By Jonathan Feigen

SAN ANTONIO – Yao Ming wanted the shot. Time running out, Spurs up by a point, 20 feet from the basket, Yao had every intention of firing away.

Things change, however.

For the Rockets, the transformation has been dramatic, from a season collapsing to now soaring. For Yao, the plan changed, from a deep jumper to a sharp pass inside to Luis Scola for the layup that became the game winner. And for the Rockets and Spurs, the standings changed, with the Rockets replacing the Spurs atop the Southwest Division with an 87-85 win Sunday at AT&T Center.

With the Rockets taking over the final three minutes, there could not have been a better way to supplant the Spurs for the division lead.

"It means a lot, a lot for us," Scola said. "It’s a huge game. We need these types of games to get ready for the playoffs."

The Rockets might have taken a significant step in that direction just when nothing seemed to have changed.

The Spurs had controlled the fourth quarter, as they have so often against the Rockets. After Yao hit a pair of jumpers over Kurt Thomas, the Spurs switched their defense to fronting Yao. The Rockets made 3 of their next 12 shots. In those eight minutes, Yao did not touch the ball.

The Spurs led by six when Tony Parker hit a jumper in the lane with 3 ½ minutes remaining.

"We got a long ways to go with the execution," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "They picked their pressure up. They fronted Yao, tried to put pressure on the wings. We didn’t respond very good to that, and that’s what you’re going to face if and when you get to the playoffs. We have to get better than that, but we did recover when they got up six."

The turnaround began when Shane Battier hit a 3, but his bigger play came on the next possession. He hounded Roger Mason Jr. into losing the ball and dove on it, forcing a jump ball with Tim Duncan, and then won the jump.

"Very few people beat Tim Duncan on a jump ball," Battier said. "That’s a pretty cool accomplishment. I’m more proud of that that hitting the 3s. He’s one of the best all-time. I probably did steal it a bit."

Aaron Brooks missed a drive, but with the Spurs out of position from the fronting defense, Yao was alone to jam the miss back in. Duncan missed a jumper and the Rockets ran Brooks around Yao screens on each of their next four possessions.

Brooks hit from 16 feet with 1:45 left, giving the Rockets an 82-81 lead, and then forced Parker to a deep 3-pointer that missed. Brooks missed his next shot from 11 feet and Thomas scored on an offensive rebound to put the Spurs back in front, 83-82.

From then on, Yao became the Rockets’ high-post passer. On the first play, he took a pass from Brooks and quickly fired to Scola inside for a layup with 29.3 seconds left.

Parker, however, regained the Spurs lead when he used a Duncan screen and Yao came out too far, allowing Parker to slice past him with 20.1 seconds remaining.

Yao, however, again set up Scola at the rim.

"I saw him at the last second," Yao said. "I was going to shoot. The ball was above my head when I found him."

Asked how often the Rockets have successfully used Yao as a high-post passer this season, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said, "Twice. That’s about it."

"Both times, the team went with Yao and I was wide open," Scola said. "When I saw the team going with him, I knew I had to go to the basket because it is a pass or offensive rebound. I wasn’t expecting Yao to throw it. Fortunately, he passed it, I made it, we won."

The Rockets did not get the win, however, without two more defensive stops. On the first, Kyle Lowry bottled up Parker until he missed on off-balance jumper with 2.9 seconds remaining.

The Spurs sent Scola to the line with three-tenths of a second remaining, but he made his second free throw, giving the Spurs a last chance.

"I tried to make the first one and miss the second one," said Scola, who had 19 points, 17 rebounds, four assists and three steals against the team that drafted him. "Apparently, I’m not very good at it."

Matt Bonner managed to catch, gather himself and shoot a 3-pointer in those remaining three-tenths of a second, but he missed.

"The buzzer still hasn’t gone off," said Ron Artest, who scored 24 points, 30 minutes after the game.

The Rockets, however, had no complaints. They had gone from smacked late in the game against the Spurs eight days earlier to beating them in the final possessions, and to the top of the division.

"It shows we’ve come a long ways," Battier said. "There were still four or five plays we could execute a lot better and we know that. But to come in here in San Antonio, a place few teams can eke out a win, it speaks volumes to how far this team has come."

boutons_
03-22-2009, 08:30 PM
"Just wish it could have bounced the other way"

That sounds like dickhead saying "The US ENDED UP in 2 wars" like it was an accident.

"Just wish" the Spurs could beat the teams they're supposed to beat, and could have beaten, @ATT in March.

Spurs now have the worst record in Last10, fncking .500 ball in March. Ain't no SPAM this year.

duncan228
03-22-2009, 11:47 PM
More from the other side.

Perseverance, fortitude, toughness - the Rockets' new 'Big Three' (http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/03/perseverance_fortitude_toughne.html)
Jonathan Feigen

Improbable is nothing?

This was not supposed to happen, not when the Rockets were whipped in Milwaukee, limping toward the All-Star break, weighed down by injury problems they could not shake.

This was not a season - begun with Shane Battier on the shelf, with Tracy McGrady and Ron Artest going in and out of the lineup, and now with Carl Landry taken from the Rockets by a gunshot wound - that there seemed any chance that the Rockets could overtake the Spurs for the division lead.

But there they were, having revived themselves from the wreckage.

Then all they had to do is have Shane Battier beat Tim Duncan on a jump ball and twice have Yao Ming fire high-post passes to Luis Scola for game-winning layups.

Improbable?

If getting this far is unexpected, the way the Rockets got past the Spurs was shocking.

Looking back, however, maybe it should not be.

The Rockets can still make things tough on themselves. Even in Sunday's win, they had seven pretty mediocre minutes in the fourth quarter. But there is a toughness about them, a resilience, that has taken them past the midseason travails to their second-half turnaround, and past their struggles on Sunday and to the win.
"I think they always had an attitude," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "This group this year has responded game in and game out."

They would probably prefer that things not be so difficult. On Sunday, when the Spurs fronted Yao, the Rockets attacked on the weak side and did seem to make some progress. Kyle Lowry put in a pair of drives. Aaron Brooks hit a jumper. Yao tipped in a miss before his late, game-winning passes.

It was still a pretty rocky way to the win.

That, however, seems to be the way these Rockets do things. It is never easy, but they persevere.

"It shows we've come a long ways," Battier said. "There were still four or five plays we could execute a lot better and we know that. But to come in here in San Antonio, a place few teams can eke out a win, it speaks volumes to how far this team has come."

Doing everything the hard way might not work in the playoffs, but neither will things be easy in the postseason. Fortitude can be as valuable as any streak of hot shooting.

It turned the Rockets' season around. It beat the Spurs on Sunday. It has the Rockets in the division lead with 10 games left.

"They keep coming out," Rick Adelman said, "and they compete every game."

That might not sound like much, but at times, it is everything. Without it, the season would still be stuck in the mud and the Spurs would have had a win to increase their division lead. Instead, the Rockets took the top spot that might not mean much, other than as a sign of how far they have come and how they got there.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Wow-maybe the Rockets will win the Championship this year since it's so improbable yet they have beaten all other odds.:rolleyes

crc21209
03-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Houston hasnt done jack in the Playoffs in the past couple years, and it's not going to change. People need to stop worrying so much. Houston plays 3 of their next 4 games at Utah, at Phoenix, and at the Lakers. The Spurs on the other hand only play 2 good teams in their next 6 games. We got the Warriors, Hawks, Clippers, Hornets, Thunder, and Pacers.

screw_ston713
03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Spurs keep bringing up difficulty of schedule but in our last four games we have defeated pistons, hornets with no Yao, and Spurs. Also beating the teams we were suppose to beat like twolves by 20. Spurs on the other hand have loss to okc, boston, and a team most spurs fan believe they should of beat, the Rockets. Spurs need to be more concerned with the spurs level of play and not so much on who has the more difficult schedule. Also Rockets have had one of the toughest years than any team. People tend to forget we have been playing without tmac for basically the entire year, if any team needs sympathy for injuries it should be Rockets. Stop using manu as an excuse!!!! Championship teams learn to find ways to win even when they are missing one of their key pieces.

LockBeard
03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Fucking Parker.

QUIT SHOOTING 3 POINTERS YOU DONT HAVE THE RANGE