PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs vs. Rockets Mar. 22

timvp
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
http://spurstalk.com/box1mar22.jpg
http://spurstalk.com/box2mar22.jpg

Another game, another depressing finish for the Spurs. Up by six points with three and a half minutes remaining the game, the Spurs proceeded to have multiple defensive breakdowns that led to a 87-85 loss.

The Rockets deserve a lot of credit for the win. Defensively, they were solid the entire ballgame. On offense, Houston took advantage of every Spurs error down the stretch. Ron Artest and Yao Ming both played very well, while Luis Scola was the best player on the court. If they continue to gain cohesiveness, the Rockets could very well advance past the first round of the playoffs.

As for the Spurs, with this loss they have basically given back the cushion they had in the Western Conference. Not long ago, the Spurs appeared capable of coasting to the second seed. Now they find themselves in a dog fight for homecourt advantage in the first round.

-Tim Duncan scored more than 20 points for the first time in more than a month. However, his scoring total is a bit deceptive because a lot of his points came on wide open jumpers that the Rockets were daring him to take. His lack of rebounding even though he didn't spend much time against Yao is a scary sign regarding the status of his health. It will be one and done in the playoffs if the Spurs enter the postseason with Duncan playing at this level.

-Tony Parker had a decent game. He had the Rockets sending reinforcements from all over the court whenever he had the ball. As a result, he was able to tie his season-high in assists. Shooting-wise, his percentage wasn't where it needed to be and he missed a relatively easy shot late in the game that would have put the Spurs in the lead. It should be noted that Parker was forced to play 22 of the 24 minutes in the second half due to the travesty that is the backup point guard position at the moment.

-Roger Mason, Jr. once again underwhelmed. His play as the backup point is getting difficult to watch. Teams are forcing him to drive when he does a pick-and-roll and Mason isn't able to make the opposition pay by either scoring at the rim or finding open shooters. When he was at shooting guard he played somewhat better but the Rockets once again did a good job of denying him open looks.

-Kurt Thomas started at center and did a very fine job. His defense against Yao was about as good as possible and he also rebounded at both ends of the court. Two of his four points came at a key moment in the fourth quarter off of an offensive board. On this night, the Spurs probably would have been smart to feed Thomas for his jumper more often, especially considering that the Rockets were offering that scenario every time up the court.

-Michael Finley had one of his patented ghost games. He helped out a little bit on the glass but he was otherwise useless. He shot only once in his 25 minutes and was the worst defender the Spurs put on Artest. Amazingly, Finley was once again granted more fourth quarter minutes.

-Ime Udoka had undoubtedly his best game of the season. His 16 points were a huge reason why the Spurs even stayed in the game. He defended Artest well and his overall energy, hustle and toughness gave San Antonio a fighting chance. If the Spurs happen to face the Rockets in the playoffs, Udoka would play a big role in that series because he's a perfect match for the personnel and style of play of Houston.

-Matt Bonner got utterly dominated in the first half by Scola. It got embarrassing at times. Bonner thankfully played better in the second half but his two rebounds in the game were pathetic considering that Scola pulled down 17 boards. All in all, Bonner has been a shadow of his former self since the signing of Gooden. And it's not like the original image was a world beater . . .

-Bruce Bowen once again showed that he can still help the team on the defensive end. Going up against Artest, a player who he has historically had problems against, Bowen gave tremendous effort and actually did a very good job. Looking back on it, Bowen shouldn't have been held out of the game in the first half by the coaching staff.

-George Hill had his worst game in a long while. He played with no confidence offensively and his hesitency played a part in the Spurs losing their momentum. On defense, he was decent but not the terror we've seen in recent weeks. Not surprisingly, Pop didn't put him back into the contest in the second half.

-Drew Gooden played seven minutes in the first half and once again hurt more than he helped. He is showing flashes of what he can ultimately be in the Spurs system but he's definitely still in the transition phase. Hopefully he gets over this hump and starts contributing to victories sooner rather than later.

-Pop made a few questionable decisions. Going with Finley again in the fourth quarter isn't something I can agree with. Not giving Parker anything close to sufficient rest in the second half was yet another weird wrinkle to his rotation. The backup point guard position is now in shambles ever since he started tinkering with it. That said, it's not like Pop has a lot of cards to play with at this point. One could argue that he's doing his best to try to massage victories out of his short-handed unit.

The Spurs now must have the game against the Warriors on Tuesday to stop the bleeding.

Believe.

benefactor
03-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Finley...just wow.

duncan228
03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
His lack of rebounding even though he didn't spend much time against Yao is a scary sign regarding the status of his health. It will be one and done in the playoffs if the Spurs enter the postseason with Duncan playing at this level.

I moved from concerned to worried a couple of weeks ago. I'm firmly planted there until I see Duncan play an entire game like Duncan. He's hurt and playing through it is not looking good.

Spursmania
03-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I moved from concerned to worried a couple of weeks ago. I'm firmly planted there until I see Duncan play an entire game like Duncan. He's hurt and playing through it is not looking good.

I know TD has tendonosis. Many M.D.'s including my spouse don't think resting him will help his condition until he actually gets real heal time in the off season. But, do you think just resting him these last few games would help his other knee or generally just help him out? Without Duncan, we are going nowhere real fast.

HarlemHeat37
03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't understand that..

I understand that Duncan needs months to get fully healthy, but how wouldn't a few games off help him at all? it must have SOME kind of positive effect, wouldn't it?..

duncan228
03-22-2009, 09:01 PM
...do you think just resting him these last few games would help his other knee or generally just help him out?

He was playing okay before the tendonosis, the left knee didn't seem to impact his game like it's impacted now, even though it was bothering him all season. Both knees hurting is obviously a lot to play through, even for Duncan.

I'd like to think rest would help, but I don't know. I can only go by what I see, and what I've read about both knees. It seems like it's a matter of him being able to play through it. Neither of the knees are going to get better this season. It's a daunting task.

z0sa
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Pop not playing Bowen extensively is the worst mistake he can make, or will ever make, as Head Coach of the San Antonio Spurs. It is really sad to this point. I'm hoping and praying he pulls his head out of his ass and starts playing Bowen much, much more. Its downright pathetic how he's coaching Bowen's minutes now, IMO.

I don't understand that..

I understand that Duncan needs months to get fully healthy, but how wouldn't a few games off help him at all? it must have SOME kind of positive effect, wouldn't it?..

is there a reason you put ".." after most every single sentence, even those that are not statements as in:

it must have SOME kind of positive effect, wouldn't it?..

StoneBuddha
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I think everyone is rightly concerned about Duncan-- the Spurs aren't going very far with him in this state. To me, this is worse than 2006. At least then, I had hope that he'd get back to 100% percent eventually. And he was a monster in the playoffs.

This feels different and he's four years older. I have a fear that he'll rest in the offseason and get back to 100%, but once the grind of the season starts, this will come back and haunt him again.

Let's just hope for the best.

:flag:

StoneBuddha
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Regarding Bowen, I used to think that Pop was saving him for the playoffs, but know I'm starting to wonder. You'd think if Bowen was going to be a big piece of the puzzle, he'd start to get regular but limited minutes to sharpen up before the playoffs.

Don Quixote
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
The Spurs lost to another playoff-bound team. Not surprising at all. I think they would probably knock off Houston in the playoffs, but New Orleans, Utah, and perhaps Portland would give them problems. And if they play the Lakers, it will be 2001 all over again.

This year's team is merely good, or above-average. But not a championship squad.

loveforthegame
03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Pop's fallen in love with using Bowen and Hill as disrupters only.

I don't know if inserting Bowen back into the starting lineup is the answer but more minutes certainly are.

Hill on the other hand needs to return to the backup pg duties. While he might struggle he'll at least move the ball around or have a better chance at getting to the basket whereas Mason just sucks at it.

superbigtime
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Mason is incapable as backup PG. Either Hill needs to resume backup PG or Manu will have to do it when he returns because seeing JV at point just screams failure.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Who else is there at back-up PG? Are we all convinced Hill is lacking in court vision, decision-making etc?

Mason seems to be a non-option and Lord knows we've tried.

Vaughn really brings nothing on the offensive end, but at least he won't get the ball stolen. I don't think this is an option.

At this point I think Pop is just going to struggle along until Manu comes back and can run the back-up point. I don't see any other option.

Agloco
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Mason is incapable as backup PG. Either Hill needs to resume backup PG or Manu will have to do it when he returns because seeing JV at point just screams failure.

JV would be hard-pressed to do worse than this.......

DPG21920
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
It is just health and energy. That is what I see during the games. Spurs need that spark back, it gives them focus. Hopefully this comes sooner than later. The rotation is terrible partly because of injuries and partly because of Pop's stubbornness. This team needs a moment that sparks them. They need to unify.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
It is just health and energy. That is what I see during the games. Spurs need that spark back, it gives them focus. Hopefully this comes sooner than later. The rotation is terrible partly because of injuries and partly because of Pop's stubbornness. This team needs a moment that sparks them. They need to unify.

Manu seems likely to get better (hopefully) but Timmy doesn't seem likely to get healthier and that's a scary proposition.

45 bank shot
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
c'mon spurs, play like a champ.

DPG21920
03-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Manu seems likely to get better (hopefully) but Timmy doesn't seem likely to get healthier and that's a scary proposition.

I was encouraged by Tim's movements today. He looked better (but not great). It is definitely cause for concern, but if he cannot get better, there is nothing they can do.

I still think that if Tim can muster up some solid outings, Manu can come back and at least be in game shape by the time playoffs roll around, that the Spurs will be able to win any 7 game series versus any team except the Lakers in the West.

There is so many "ifs" that there normally aren't at this point in time, but all it takes is a burst of energy and focus and it can turn around. This is one of those moments in sports where a team has to look at each other and be 100% honest.

They have to know their strengths and weaknesses and say: "this is the time we leave it all out there. We owe each other 100% effort and we have to have each others back".

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
This shit is over then..... no Tim no ring

I don't think he's as limited as some people here think he is. And hopefully he can kick it into a higher gear in the playoffs. So I'm not full of gloom and doom. But it is worrisome.

Agloco
03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
http://spurstalk.com/box1mar22.jpg
http://spurstalk.com/box2mar22.jpg

-Michael Finley had one of his patented ghost games. He helped out a little bit on the glass but he was otherwise useless. He shot only once in his 25 minutes and was the worst defender the Spurs put on Artest. Amazingly, Finley was once again granted more fourth quarter minutes.

Amazing that when I look at the +/- , that we were +11 with Finley on the court.......best by far on the team.

phxspurfan
03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
If we're not going to go to Hill because of his inconsistency, and Mason continues to show he can't handle the ball, why not put Vaughn in there? Activate him and see what we've got in a more consistent backup. We did win with him before.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
They have to know their strengths and weaknesses and say: "this is the time we leave it all out there. We owe each other 100% effort and we have to have each others back".

Agreed. There was a stretch in the Minnesota game where they played with a hunger and desperation that reminded me of championship teams of the past. We looked like that in the beginning of this game as well.

Hopefully we can bring that intensity for the playoffs. In past times, we were never the most talented team on the floor and we had to fight the hardest and play the smartest. We saw the team play like that against Minnesota because they knew they had no Timmy and had to scrap. We got to bring that again.

And on a practical note, we seem unable to sustain the intensity of the Minnesota game stretches and 1st quarter of this game because it dies when Parker leaves the floor due to the weakness of our back up point play. Hopefully this will improve with Manu's return and assumption of the back up point responsibilities.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Amazing that when I look at the +/- , that we were +11 with Finley on the court.......best by far on the team.

demonstrating the limitations of +/- as a statistical tool.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Here's a question I have......with the lack of a back-up PG options, how nice would it be to have Brent Barry on the team still?

I know we got Mason thinking he could run the backup point because he did in Washington, and we thought Hill could do some spot duty in that area, and we didn't anticipate the length of Manu's absences, but Barry did a decent job running the back up point in the past....wish he were still around.

DPG21920
03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
This has been a long and stressful season, I feel all things considered (injuries, weird rotations, new players...) that the Spurs have slightly over-achieved record wise. I am happy with where they are at in the standings, but not with how they are playing.

Like I said, it is very unsettling having so many ??? at this point in the season, but all it takes is one stretch of games where something just clicks.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I thought Mason made at least two critical errors in Sunday's game and several others that weren't critical, but which made a difference in the game. As good as he was early in the season, I am beginning to wonder if Mason will struggle in the pressure cooker of the playoffs.

We can gripe and moan about an aging team full of old guys, but one thing is true about the old guys -- there isn't much that can faze them on the court.

I don't mean to pick on Mason -- well, yeah I do -- but I think we're starting to see the ugly head of inexperience being raised. It makes me think that home court advantage is much more crucial to this team than it might have been in the past -- at least for a round.

Oh, and with all of that said -- Duncan flat out stunk in the last minute or so.

03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
it's a sad day when the spurs turn to jacque vaughn for the backup pg position. i was certain either mason or hill would be up to it.

HarlemHeat37
03-22-2009, 10:48 PM
well we all know Duncan doesn't give a 100% effort and determination in the regular season..it's obvious we won't be getting the usual playoffs Duncan..but I would expect better than how he's been playing..

Duncan will need to play the KG role from last year..we're gonna need Parker to play the Pierce role and take over the scoring when we need him..Manu will have to be a bigger scorer than Duncan as well..

wildbill2u
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Who else is there at back-up PG? Are we all convinced Hill is lacking in court vision, decision-making etc?

Mason seems to be a non-option and Lord knows we've tried.

Vaughn really brings nothing on the offensive end, but at least he won't get the ball stolen. I don't think this is an option.

At this point I think Pop is just going to struggle along until Manu comes back and can run the back-up point. I don't see any other option.

One telling play late in the game persuaded me that Mason can't handle the pg spot. He made a really sloppy slow pass towards Tim near mid court that a Rocket stole without any problem. Only one play, but where was the focus and intensity?

jason1301
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
first the game was awesome! then we lost :(

I am not that depressed thought, we played w/o manu, and Tim is below 80%.

Rockets had one their best games in a really long time.

The play of KT and Udoka, gives me hope.

Assume those two can play near that level playoff time, and manu is back, and Timmy is a bit better, and Gooden has adjusted, then you ll see why this game was a reason to smile.

Believe.

DPG21920
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I am not worried about Roger when everyone is healthy. I was wrong in the beginning of the year when I was asking for Mason to get more time at the PG. This is not a good system for him. In Washington when they are running and pulling up, he is ok.

But I am not worried about him in the playoffs, he has been there and performed.

VI_Massive
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Duncan will need to play the KG role from last year..we're gonna need Parker to play the Pierce role and take over the scoring when we need him..Manu will have to be a bigger scorer than Duncan as well..

The only problem I have with this is that a lot of our 3 pt. shooting success was predicated on Tim's offensive threats drawing a double team opening up shooters. If he's playing a more limited role, I guess that creation of open jumpers has to come from Manu and Tony's penetration.

greyforest
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
WE NEED MOTHER FUCKING GINOBILi

Agloco
03-22-2009, 11:33 PM
demonstrating the limitations of +/- as a statistical tool.

It's not a tool at all, it's simply another stat that someone with too much time on their hands came up with. Just thought it was interesting that even playing 4 on 5 they were up.

ploto
03-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Here's a question I have......with the lack of a back-up PG options, how nice would it be to have Brent Barry on the team still?

His stats do not do justice for how vital he was in the shift in momentum in the first half for the Rockets.

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:31 AM
His stats do not do justice for how vital he was in the shift in momentum in the first half for the Rockets.His stats also do not do justice to how he was the best player for the Spurs in the fourth quarter.

ploto
03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
His stats also do not do justice to how he was the best player for the Spurs in the fourth quarter.

Finley's stats, however, do do justice for how he was the best player for the Rockets all game- after Scola. :D

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Finley's stats, however, do doPoint complete.

crc21209
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't see why ppl are sucking off the Rockets so much on nat'l tv or Spurs fans blowing up, because Houston still has one more loss than us, they are still technically third in the West. And Houston will lose some more games, seeing as how they have 3 of their next four at Utah, at Phoenix, and at the Lakers. Out of the Spurs' next 6 games, only 2 are against good teams. They play Golden State, Atlanta, LA Clips, New Orleans, OK City, and Indiana. We will be fine.

Blackjack
03-23-2009, 01:35 AM
This backup point-guard quandry wouldn't be nearly as pressing, if Duncan was, well, Duncan.

In the past all the Spurs needed was a competent ball-handler and capable scorer to run the "point", since Timmy usually ended up quarterbacking the offense in the half-court, after the "point" brought the ball up. With his passing and ability to tilt the defense, by his mere prescence on the court, the need for a traditional point-guard wasn't nearly the priority it is for most teams.

Now, with the fear-factor of the opponent at an all-time low, in terms of Tim's dominance, a competent scorer and ball-handler is no longer enough to get the team by when Tony's on the bench and Manu's in his civies.

Unfortunately, there's not much the Spurs can do about it now. Well, besides wait for Manu to come in on his white horse and save the day, but even that might not be enough. It would pretty unreasonable for a guy coming back from an injury, and looking to find his wind and rhythm, to have to assume that kind of responsibilty, immediately upon his return. But, hell... I guess reason is pretty much out the window when you get to this point, at this time of year.

One things for sure, Mason's utter disregard for the ball and his inability to finish or make a play in traffic, isn't getting it done. That turnover he commited while looking to receive the screen from Tim that lead to the jumpball between Tim and Shane (by the way, I know Tim's hurting and his elevation is even more limited than usual, but that's now Odom, Big Baby, and Battier that he's lost critical tips to in crunch-time:bang) is becoming all too common.

Mason's lack of size at the 2, loose dribble, and mediocre athleticism has really been more glaring when he's challenged by competent defenders. He's been reduced to worring about getting his pocket picked more than running the offense for the team or his self. If I'm Pop, I give the role of bringing the ball up back to Hill, and say to hell with their logic that a rookie point has never done well in the playoffs. Afterall, Hill wouldn't be a decision-maker, as much as a caretaker of the ball and a lock-down defender when Manu's on the floor.

Harry Callahan
03-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Duncan and Ginobili are injured. Manu may get back, but TD is shooting 35-40% from the field over the last month since he missed those three games. Teams are not afraid of Duncan tearing them up inside right now.

The playoffs will be short this year - the wear and tear of all the great playoff runs have finally caught up to us. Things must change quickly for me to change my mind about this.

I hate to say it, but this is probably the first time since 2000 (when TD missed the playoffs) where I felt like the Spurs have no shot to go all the way. Not fun.

Ice009
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
-Pop made a few questionable decisions. Going with Finley again in the fourth quarter isn't something I can agree with. Not giving Parker anything close to sufficient rest in the second half was yet another weird wrinkle to his rotation. The backup point guard position is now in shambles ever since he started tinkering with it. That said, it's not like Pop has a lot of cards to play with at this point. One could argue that he's doing his best to try to massage victories out of his short-handed unit.
Believe.

Pop has completely fucked up the team.

I might need to revive the thread I started. I just finished watching the game now thanks to international league pass broadband and I can't believe Pop changed the rotations again, but not it a good way.

He should of played Bruce earlier. I don't understand his gay love for Finley and Mason Jr. Their offense fucking stinks. THEY ARE NOT BRINGING anything to the table. Bruce played great defense when he was out there. Ime played well so why did Pop bench him towards the end of the 4th quarter when we had a 6 point lead?????? Stupid, stupid stuff.

I'm going to say it because this might be a move that can help us. NO MORE MASON AT BACK UP PG. Bring back VAUGHN. This is horrendous coaching by Pop. wtf is he thinking still playing Mason at back up PG after all the fuck ups lately.

Ice009
03-23-2009, 05:25 AM
I forgot to mention Luis Scola. A lot of the time when I see Scola play either in the Olympics or against the Spurs I get mad. Idiotic trade.

Tim should be traded to the Lakers cause he fucking doesn't deserve this cheap ass franchise giving it his all for them.

If that cheap ass Holt only traded Scola to get Butler off the books then just trade Tim to the Lakers cause that is still one of the stupidest trades I've ever seen. I couldn't believe we gave him away for nothing. I listened to the people that I thought were knowledgeable about Scola's game saying it wouldn't translate to the NBA. All I got to say is that they were flat out wrong.

Ice009
03-23-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm going to dig up another move that I said earlier in the season.

Start IME UDOKA. I told you that if he starts he'll be able to get into a rhythm and contribute a lot more. You're seeing it now with the extra court time he is getting. Ime did suck for a long period of time including his original starting stint, but it looks like he's actually showing his real toughness like he did last season in the playoffs. Ime is stepping up when the pressure is getting higher. Guys like Finley and Mason Jr are stepping right down.

Finley vanished in the playoffs last season while Ime stepped up. Why has Ime not been given more opportunities to get back into form and Michael gets as many minutes as he wants to get out of slumps?

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Pop usually site player who can't defend. So why did Finley see 25 minutes of action? Supposedly, the Spurs re-signed him because he can shoot the ball well. So how come he took only one shot? Finley has some dirt on Pop and will use it against him if Pop plays him less than 25 minutes. There can be no other explanation!!!!

1Parker1
03-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Playoff inexperience is going to be a HUGE factor for players like Hill, Mason, and especially Bonner. I have very little faith in them to be able to handle the defensive pressures in critical playoff situations when they have next to no playoff experience.

That being said, this is all Ginobili's fault :pctoss :lol All his d*mn injuries forced Pop to rely very heavily on Duncan early on and all those minutes are catching up to him. He can't get the rest he needs because Ginobili is still out. And Parker...I am getting very concerned about all these minutes he's having to log, not only because the backup PG situation is in shambles until Ginobili comes back, but also the extra minutes he has to log because Duncan is hurting and Ginobili is out.

That being said, this team has wayyyyy too many holes and question marks for it being March. I am getting really unsure if Duncan will be healthy for the playoffs...even if he does get a little rest in, his injury doesn't sound like something that can make it through 3 tough grueling rounds in the Western conference...especially if they are all on the road. Not only that, but I'm begining to wonder if the playoff Ginobili that people are expecting will even show up this season. He's played in far too less games and he's out of rythmn and I'm not sure how healthy he will come back.

:pctoss

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Playoff inexperience is going to be a HUGE factor for players like Hill, Mason, and especially Bonner. I have very little faith in them to be able to handle the defensive pressures in critical playoff situations when they have next to no playoff experience.

That being said, this is all Ginobili's fault :pctoss :lol All his d*mn injuries forced Pop to rely very heavily on Duncan early on and all those minutes are catching up to him. He can't get the rest he needs because Ginobili is still out. And Parker...I am getting very concerned about all these minutes he's having to log, not only because the backup PG situation is in shambles until Ginobili comes back, but also the extra minutes he has to log because Duncan is hurting and Ginobili is out.

That being said, this team has wayyyyy too many holes and question marks for it being March. I am getting really unsure if Duncan will be healthy for the playoffs...even if he does get a little rest in, his injury doesn't sound like something that can make it through 3 tough grueling rounds in the Western conference...especially if they are all on the road. Not only that, but I'm begining to wonder if the playoff Ginobili that people are expecting will even show up this season. He's played in far too less games and he's out of rythmn and I'm not sure how healthy he will come back.

:pctoss

Fuck...all that is true...I was just hoping Duncan could take a miraculous cure all drink for his tendonosis or maybe vicariously borrow someones healthy tendons for a few weeks.
:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss

TMTTRIO
03-23-2009, 10:02 AM

yeah I am really concerned about Timmy's health. I'm not as concerned about Tony since he's young and can handle things while Manu's out. I am concerned also about the Backup PG spot. Using Mason as the backup PG hasn't been working and I don't want Manu to be the backup PG when he comes back especially when he first comes back. He's going to try to do way too much and will turn it over a thousand times trying to do something.

1Parker1
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how the backup PG situation became such a mess. Early in the season it looked like George Hill was the perfect backup player the Spurs wanted, especially when he filled in so well with Parker out.

Then Parker came back, Hill had a couple stretches of bad games (as expected seeing as he's a bench player and a rookie), and now he's completely out of it. Pop should have given him consistent minutes throughout the season, whether he's playing good or bad to get him through this. Pulling him and then switching to Mason as backup PG or overplaying Parker isn't going to help anyone in the long run. I thought Hill had all the tools neccesary to play at least a couple solid minutes in the playoff rotation.

45 bank shot
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
How
could we even lost when timmy was listening to their last play
y was listening to their last play
http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%B8%F9%B1%BE%B4%F3%C5%DD%B0%A1/pic/item/c7086423461e8d854623e8f1.jpeg

LockBeard
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
If pop didn't have 4 rings, you'd really start to think this guy couldn't coach worth a shit.

Pop is really a moron when it comes to dealing out minutes between players.

mexicanjunior
03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Out of the Spurs' next 6 games, only 2 are against good teams. They play Golden State, Atlanta, LA Clips, New Orleans, OK City, and Indiana. We will be fine.

The Spurs have already proven (OKC, Toronto without Bosh & Calderon, Knicks) that they can lose to any one of those teams if they continue playing like this...nothing is a given at this point.