PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Think They Could Use Him? Scola Trade Becomes A Facial

duncan228
03-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Think they could use him? Scola trade becomes a facial (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Think_they_could_use_him_Scola_trade_becomes_a_fac ial.html)
Buck Harvey

They were playing in Japan in 2006, at the World Championships, and the Argentines should have taken it easy that day. They were matched against New Zealand.

But they never take it easy while playing basketball. So Luis Scola dove for a loose ball, and he hit the court with such force that he lost teeth. The next day Manu Ginobili laughed and went looking for bite marks in the wood.

They were good friends and better teammates, and in those days they thought they might also play together in San Antonio. But then came the trade. Outside of a few moments last season, they were the only ones with regrets.

But now?

After Sunday?

Ginobili and Scola had dinner Saturday night at a San Antonio restaurant, and they didn’t talk about what could have been. They’d been over that ground too many times.

So had the media and fan message boards, especially after a game early last season. Then Scola stuck 20 points on the Spurs, and Gregg Popovich reacted accordingly.

“It kills me to have him on that team,” Popovich said. “Enough to make you spit.”

The Spurs had sacrificed talent for money, with a rival benefiting. The trade would have festered within the Spurs organization last season, especially when the Rockets put together a 22-game winning streak, except for what followed.

Then, led by Tracy McGrady, the Rockets again wobbled out of the first round. The Spurs went to the Western Conference finals, and their problem then wasn’t the Argentine who had been traded; it was the one who was limping against the Lakers.

Not much changed this year, as the Spurs survived with a patched-up lineup and the Rockets endured everything from a gunshot wound to a midseason switch of point guards. But then came Sunday, when the Rockets took away first place from the Spurs.

Now, what the Rockets took away a year and a half ago means more. Scola gives the Rockets the toughness they didn’t have before, and he complements Yao Ming, and he slipped free Sunday for the game-winner.

Afterward the media circled Scola, and Brent Barry smiled nearby and motioned toward his latest Argentine teammate.

“Think they could use this guy back here?” Barry asked.

Scola reminds Barry of a former teammate. Barry has called him a taller Manu.

But Barry goes further than that. He doesn’t think there’s been a better power forward since the All-Star break.

The Spurs’ trio can’t argue after Sunday. Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner and Drew Gooden combined for six fewer rebounds than Scola had.

To go with his 17 rebounds, Scola added 19 points. Then there’s what happened with 11 seconds left, when Scola went to the basket, took a Yao pass and won the game.

Scola shrugged afterward. “I just saw ball coming toward me,” he said.

He wasn’t perfect Sunday. After Tony Parker missed inside in the closing seconds, Scola grabbed the rebound and was immediately fouled. With only 0.3 on the clock, Scola said he had the following strategy: “Make the first one and miss the second one.”

He instead missed the first, then line-drived in the second.

“Apparently,” he said, “I’m not very good at it.”

The Rockets will live with that. Scola is a smart, rugged player in his prime, and he has a good midrange jumper. His salary is a bargain, and, better yet, he’s healthy.

As both the Rockets and Spurs struggle with injuries, Scola has yet to miss a game in his NBA career.

Maybe all of that went through Popovich’s head as he slammed the scorers’ table Sunday and screamed at Duncan and refs alike. Popovich sure looked spitting mad again.

Still, it’s what comes next that should worry Popovich and the Spurs. With McGrady gone, the Rockets have gone 16-4. They are still learning how to win, with a different point-guard rotation, and Sunday suggests they took a big step.

So if they bump the Spurs into the 4-5 playoff seeding, and if the Rockets advance, then the trade will change a few things.

There will be new bite marks, and they will be on the Spurs.

tp2021
03-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Scola thread...

:pctoss

Indazone
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Perfect

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanx for rubbing it in Buck.

VI_Massive
03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
this article kills.

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Just imagine if Holt made R.C and Pop package Ginobili to get rid of Jaren Jackson's contract back in 2000-2001.

The Scola trade still hurts.

So in essence we gave Oberto and Bonner the same money Scola wanted in the summer of 07? yay.

DynastyBuilder
03-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Buck = :stirpot:

:spam:

Marcus Bryant
03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
What a great fucking trade. Props to all the Holt Catsuckers who loved that fucking trade.

wireonfire
03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Perfect

:lol I was thinking whether to rub it in.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
The Spurs lost this game period. Scola did not take it from the Spurs. It was a missed defensive rotation by Duncan (of which he doesn't make many). Big deal that it was Scola. It's not as if he's a Tim Duncan player, and we missed out on a franchise player. The guy's good but he's not great. He's comparable to many good players in the league. Yes, it would have been nice to have him just like it would have been nice to have many other players we have wanted to keep. However, let's not overeact.

Anyways, Manu would have taken it to Houston tonight. I think the Spurs will remember this game and how they let one slip away, and they will use it as a motivator for the next time they meet.

Spurs will win any 7 game series against the Rockets if we have to play them. A healthy Manu makes a huge difference. And all we needed today was a little difference.

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Spurs would be beast with Scola, and quite possibly the favorites.

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
What a great fucking trade. Props to all the Holt Catsuckers who loved that fucking trade.

Couldn't have they just not gave Bonner the 3 million a year and instead used it for Scola?

ploto
03-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner and Drew Gooden combined for six fewer rebounds than Scola had.

For all the people who said he could not rebound.

objective
Buck better watch his mouth and watch what he writes before he gets O'Keefe'd.

The Express News has a hard enough time with revenue as it is, a little pressure and they'll trim their budget free of extraneous columnists.

jason1301
I can see why one may feel a bit bitter about Scola playing in Rockets uniform, I do too sometimes.

However, the spurs are the MOST successful franchise in sports for a reason! And it was that same reason that led to the trade of Scola's rights.

I can live with those bad calls, last time I checked Scola hasn't made it out of the first round. And even if he does so this year, he still needs to bring at least two rings to Houston for me to start thinking hey we may have to change our principles here.

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Buck better watch his mouth and watch what he writes before he gets O'Keefe'd.

The Express News has a hard enough time with revenue as it is, a little pressure and they'll trim their budget free of extraneous columnists.

Oh the irony...God forbid he offers an "objective" and realistic viewpoint of the situation

ploto
03-23-2009, 12:20 AM
last time I checked Scola hasn't made it out of the first round. And even if he does so this year, he still needs to bring at least two rings to Houston for me to start thinking hey we may have to change our principles here.

Your logic makes no sense. I get annoyed by people who claim how far a team has gotten somehow is indicative of a single player's merit.

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Is that two articles in a row that Harvey has mentioned "message boards"? At least he's halfway sourcing his articles these days.

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
And oh yeah, that trade has turned out worse than I imagined. And at the time I thought it was the worst trade in franchise history.

ploto
03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Is that two articles in a row that Harvey has mentioned "message boards"? At least he's halfway sourcing his articles these days.

Thanks Buck for noticing how today I posted how good the Rockets are without McGrady.

DynastyBuilder
03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
"objective"

Please it's a column. There is nothing objective about a column.

It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

:stirpot:

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
However, the spurs are the MOST successful franchise in sports for a reason! And it was that same reason that led to the trade of Scola's rights.

I can live with those bad calls, last time I checked Scola hasn't made it out of the first round. And even if he does so this year, he still needs to bring at least two rings to Houston for me to start thinking hey we may have to change our principles here.

For one the Spurs have been one of the most successful franchises because of Tim Duncan mostly. You can't tell me the Bulls were the most successful in the 1990's because of Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf.

Secondly trying to justify Scola not being capable of helping this Spurs team because he hasn't made it past the first round with the Rockets is just dumb.

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Please it's a column. There is nothing objective about a column.

It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

:stirpot:

Joe Pesci?

Marcus Bryant
03-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Couldn't have they just not gave Bonner the 3 million a year and instead used it for Scola?

No, because the point of the trade was moving Butler's salary.

objective
03-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Oh the irony...God forbid he offers an "objective" and realistic viewpoint of the situation

I'm just concerned for Buck and his family.

I've been critical of the Spurs handling of Scola from day one.

But I hope Buck realizes that the same people who were instrumental in cutting off their own noses to spite their face when dealing with Scola are still in charge. This is a one horse town, Buck's not too big to be galloped over.

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm just concerned for Buck and his family.

I've been critical of the Spurs handling of Scola from day one.

But I hope Buck realizes that the same people who were instrumental in cutting off their own noses to spite their face when dealing with Scola are still in charge. This is a one horse town, Buck's not too big to be galloped over.

I hear ya man
As a former journalist, I find that proposition frightening though, that people could be that narrow-minded

celldweller
03-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Bonner instead of Scola. Wow. :( Thanks Pop. :smchode:

Thanks for bringing it up Buck. :flipoff

objective
03-23-2009, 12:54 AM
to be fair and objective about it, Bonner does make slightly less than Scola.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Bonner Sucks.

mVp
03-23-2009, 12:59 AM
What a great fucking article :depressed

crc21209
03-23-2009, 12:59 AM
What happened, happened. Oh well...we traded away Scola...shit happens. It's not like we're Portland and we drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan or something.

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Bonner instead of Scola. Wow. :( Thanks Pop. :smchode:

Actually it was resigning Oberto and Bonner over bringing Scola to SA.

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 01:01 AM
What happened, happened. Oh well...we traded away Scola...shit happens. It's not like we're Portland and we drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan or something.

or Portland drafting Oden over Durant:lol

celldweller
03-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Actually it was resigning Oberto and Bonner over bringing Scola to SA.

Oh Yea, your right. Let me correct myself....

Bonner instead of Scola and Oberto. Wow. :( Thanks Pop. :smchode:

crc21209
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Scola can rot in Houston for all I care...its basically his fault he's not in S.A. Him and his team for having an unbelievable buyout price to bring him to S.A. It was basically a cat and mouse game that got really messed up.

Slydragon
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I keep trying to put that trade behind me and out of my mind, but then shit like this comes up.

jason1301
03-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Your logic makes no sense. I get annoyed by people who claim how far a team has gotten somehow is indicative of a single player's merit.

My logic makes perfect sense. I am afraid you took my words out of context. Scola is an awesome player, never said otherwise, but if he can't help the rockets with Yao, and Artest advance in the second round, he is not much of an impact player, is he?

Some people here act like Scola is the second coming of Rasheed.

jason1301
03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
For one the Spurs have been one of the most successful franchises because of Tim Duncan mostly. You can't tell me the Bulls were the most successful in the 1990's because of Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf.

Secondly trying to justify Scola not being capable of helping this Spurs team because he hasn't made it past the first round with the Rockets is just dumb.

Duncan is big part of our success but so is Manu, and Tony and Pop's system. I don't think we could have done w/o any of these, not only Timmy.

The Spurs is a model franchise from top to bottom, and in every Championship run we had major contribution from role players, like Horry, Kerr, Avery, SJ, and others.

And yes the bulls also had Scotty Pippen and Phil, one of the best coaches to day!

Blackjack
03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
So if they bump the Spurs into the 4-5 playoff seeding, and if the Rockets advance, then the trade will change a few things.

There will be new bite marks, and they will be on the Spurs.

Maybe.

But if the Spurs are playing with Manu, when said matchup occurs?

They'll be bite marks that won't be all that painful, because they'll be the kind that are left from the night before.

The kind left by a woman you've just had your way with.:smokin

celldweller
03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Duncan is big part of our success but so is Manu, and Tony and Pop's system. I don't think we could have done w/o any of these, not only Timmy.

The Spurs is a model franchise from top to bottom, and in every Championship run we had major contribution from role players, like Horry, Kerr, Avery, SJ, and others.

And yes the bulls also had Scotty Pippen and Phil, one of the best coaches to day!
I agree with you. I recently saw game 7 of the 2005 Finals vs the Pistons and Duncan played similar to his recent play - Crappy but acceptable. It was Manu who was the real driving force of our success in that series (and a couple of Robert Horry Miracle shots). In the 2007 Finals it was all Parker with an injection of Manu here and there. Tim was average (which is probably more than what any other power foward/center could provide).

DaDakota
03-23-2009, 02:12 AM
I loves me some Scola !

DD

Budkin
03-23-2009, 02:29 AM
I was psyched for years to get Scola in here and seeing this bullshit just makes that trade all the more painful.

timvp
03-23-2009, 02:52 AM
What's hilarious in a sick sort of way is to think about that controversy created when RC Buford sent Scola an email telling Scola that he played too soft around the basket and wasn't nearly a good enough rebounder for the NBA. I wonder if Scola is going to bump that email conversation now . . .

whottt
03-23-2009, 03:00 AM
“Think they could use this guy back here?” Barry asked.

Scola reminds Barry of a former teammate. Barry has called him a taller Manu.

But Barry goes further than that. He doesn’t think there’s been a better power forward since the All-Star break

Barry = Rocket Troll

Brent should just go and shove a basketball up his ass right now, because that'll prepare him for the pain Duncan is going to inflict on the Rockets interior D if he gets wind of these comments and they meet the Rockets in the playoffs.

I hope the Spurs get the Rockets in the playoffs.

timvp
03-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Barry turning into a Scola Homer might be the funniest twist in the World of Whottt. :lmao:lmao

whottt
03-23-2009, 03:03 AM
What's hilarious in a sick sort of way is to think about that controversy created when RC Buford sent Scola an email telling Scola that he played too soft around the basket and wasn't nearly a good enough rebounder for the NBA. I wonder if Scola is going to bump that email conversation now . . .

Tells you what kind of an asshole Scola is...he probably can't rebound worth a shit and just goes after them with everything he's got out of spite. What an asshole.

Oh and Harvey otherwise known as Kiss of Death endorsing this trade is pretty much everything I was waiting for. About fucking time...now I just need him to predict the Spurs won't win a title...he's wrong every time.

whottt
03-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Barry turning into a Scola Homer might be the funniest twist in the World of Whottt. :lmao:lmao

No, the funniest twist is you turning into a Barry homer :lmao

rascal
03-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Good post. Well said. Agree

Harry Callahan
03-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Would Scola get starters minutes in SA like he does in Houston? He is an undersized 4. Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed like everyone else about how that situation turned out. Duncan gets the inside looks here until he retires.

Just remember, at the draft in 2007, the Spurs had drafted Splitter and thought he would be in SA in 2008. A younger, more athletic big. If Scola did not get the minutes he wanted here, he would have left after 2 or three years anyway. Scola was traded after that 2007 draft. The Splitter snub really screwed us over in hindsight.

SA should have never traded Scola - should have let him stay overseas. On the other hand, Splitter would probably had the chance to hear his good friend Scola complain about the sorry Spurs every day the last two years. Then he would never come over hear for sure.

InK
03-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Tells you what kind of an asshole Scola is...he probably can't rebound worth a shit and just goes after them with everything he's got out of spite. What an asshole.

Seriously? Scola is an asshole for rebounding well now? :lol

L.I.T
03-23-2009, 05:45 AM
You could almost say that in this game Scola dotted the eyes.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Seriously? Scola is an asshole for rebounding well now? :lol

I'm thinking that was a joke...

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2009, 08:05 AM

lol please don't tell me that's a true story.

urunobili
03-23-2009, 08:10 AM
They should have let him rot in Spain :depressed Tiago would be here too if they would have made that... a trade for the Cavs as it was going to happen originally... that would have made that Squad even scarier than what they are today...

romsho
03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
There really is no defending the Spurs organization on this one. They blew it. Their evaluation of Scola's ability at the NBA level was obviously wrong. The guy is extremely productive with a high basketball IQ- he's turned into a very good NBA power forward. You could argue that his skill set would translate even better in the Spurs system. Worst personnel decision in the Tim Duncan era.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm way over Scola. It happened, it's done.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM

He believe like almost all Americans........."all Euroleague players are soft and cannot rebound".

I see thiss ame crap be said about Bourousis and he is even much better rebounder than Scola is. Stupid NBA fans believe 6 rebounds in Europe = 2 in NBA but actually 6 rebounds in Europe is more like = to 10 in NBA.

But Rockets fans is just as bad or worse than Spurs fans. They believed Scola would only get 2 or 3 rebounds in NBA base on "Euroleague stats", fucking idiots. Even worse they believe 2 or 3 assists in Euroleague is like 1 or 2 in NBA as they say many times on subject of Spanoulis.

When actually Spanoulis' 4 assists in Euroleague is more like = to 12 in NBA. They cannt even figure out that Calderon only average 2 assists in Euroleague.

But just read Bourousis thread here no matter how many times someone with knowledge of European game tries explain such things idiot NBA fans argue it and make fun of others about it. Like someone bragging about Bouroussis only gets 12 points in Euroleague means he would be "scrub in NBA". Fucking idiots don't even realize that if you got 15 points a game in Euroleague it is more like 25 points a game in NBA.

But I guess it is really sad for Spurs that a manager of team is also this stupid and also believes all this NBA and Euroleague myths created by ESPN and Stern.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Would Scola get starters minutes in SA like he does in Houston? He is an undersized 4. Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed like everyone else about how that situation turned out. Duncan gets the inside looks here until he retires.

Just remember, at the draft in 2007, the Spurs had drafted Splitter and thought he would be in SA in 2008. A younger, more athletic big. If Scola did not get the minutes he wanted here, he would have left after 2 or three years anyway. Scola was traded after that 2007 draft. The Splitter snub really screwed us over in hindsight.

SA should have never traded Scola - should have let him stay overseas. On the other hand, Splitter would probably had the chance to hear his good friend Scola complain about the sorry Spurs every day the last two years. Then he would never come over hear for sure.

He is official size from FIBA 6-9 1/2 247 pounds. How is this "undersize power forward"?

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
There really is no defending the Spurs organization on this one. They blew it. Their evaluation of Scola's ability at the NBA level was obviously wrong. The guy is extremely productive with a high basketball IQ- he's turned into a very good NBA power forward. You could argue that his skill set would translate even better in the Spurs system. Worst personnel decision in the Tim Duncan era.

Bourousis is much better at same age than Scola even was. And in this forum I am attack for even suggest him. Spurs fans are just as stupid as their managers.

SynicFan
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
He is official size from FIBA 6-9 1/2 247 pounds. How is this "undersize power forward"?

He's undersized. now let go of the jockstrap.

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
My logic makes perfect sense. I am afraid you took my words out of context. Scola is an awesome player, never said otherwise, but if he can't help the rockets with Yao, and Artest advance in the second round, he is not much of an impact player, is he?

Some people here act like Scola is the second coming of Rasheed.

So what new excuse if they advance? And Scola in this time is much better than Rasheed is.

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
The only good thing out of that article was about Pop yelling at Duncan. Dude should have let Yao shoot from 15-18ft. I'd rather Yao shoot that then leave Scola wide open for a layup. Way to go Duncan!

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
He's undersized. now let go of the jockstrap.

He is not under size for power forward in NBA. He is average size for power forward in NBA. You must be blind if you cannot see how many 6-7 and 6-8 power forwards are in NBA. Either this or you are just a fucking moron.

SenorSpur
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Wow! I'm surprised RC would deliberately demean a player he drafted in an email - even if he actually believed it.

It's also funny how those comments of his could easily apply to Oberto.

SenorSpur
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
If the Spurs could've gotten something tangible from the trade, perhaps it wouldn't sting so much. This was a straight salary dump, involving a very productive player that the Spurs could've used. Kind of like KT coming back to haunt the Suns.

A good point that someone brought up earlier was, the drafting of Splitter made the trade seem more plausible at that time. Him spurning the Spurs has only rubbed more "salt" into the Spurs wound.

Marcus Bryant
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Remember all the posts about how the Spurs' FO knew what they were doing and how we should applaud dumb basketball trades because such trades put more $$$ in Holt CAT's pocket?

Dex
03-23-2009, 09:24 AM

:lmao Buck should be paying you royalties for rippin' off your Thoughts.

Nice time for a slap in the face article, Harvey. The meltdown needed a little bit more gasoline.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks a lot Buck-must have had to work real hard to come up with that article.

jag
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Damn...just damn.

This article makes me want to punch a baby.

mountainballer
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
But just read Bourousis thread here no matter how many times someone with knowledge of European game tries explain such things idiot NBA fans argue it and make fun of others about it. Like someone bragging about Bouroussis only gets 12 points in Euroleague means he would be "scrub in NBA". Fucking idiots don't even realize that if you got 15 points a game in Euroleague it is more like 25 points a game in NBA.

you already opened so many pointless Bouroussis threads, that meanwhile there are more threads about him than about Scola.
now you try to turn even Scola threads into a Bouroussis threads.

btw. Bouroussis isn't bad and maybe he in fact has a future in the NBA. but I pray that he doesn't sign with the Spurs, because this would mean that you would unavoidable contaminate every single thread on every Spurs forum in the internet with your debility. right now it's only every other.
I pray that Bouroussis signs with another team. best case the Lakers or Mavs. another 4 titles of the Spurs wouldn't hurt their fans as much as your appear on their fan base.

SynicFan
03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
He is not under size for power forward in NBA. He is average size for power forward in NBA. You must be blind if you cannot see how many 6-7 and 6-8 power forwards are in NBA. Either this or you are just a fucking moron.

yes. because writing improper grammar makes YOU SMART.

LOL!

better luck next time.

ploto
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Scola can rot in Houston for all I care...its basically his fault he's not in S.A. Him and his team for having an unbelievable buyout price to bring him to S.A. It was basically a cat and mouse game that got really messed up.

Then why did it take less than a week for Houston to work out a buy-out and a contract for him?

Simply, the Spurs' hubris and their public attempts to flacate fans who were questioning why Scola wasn't coming year after year led to the situation in which Scola would never be a Spur. Then, they drafted Splitter, but he and Luis were teammates and friends, and he knew how much Scola despised how he felt the Spurs had treated him. So to make nice for Splitter, they had to do right by Scola. Why they sent him to Houston of all places I will never understand.

Twisted_Dawg
03-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Let's break this down.

Pop gets a "great" recommendation from his 'lil buddy Larry Brown on the mumblin', stumblin' Jackie Butler. That was the first mistake.....Pop listening to Larry Brown.

Signing Butler to that 3-year contract for for money than he deserved which lock us into him and got us precariously close to the cap. ---Assist to Bufford.

Finding out the guy can't play, talk, or walk and chew gum at the same time.
---Pop & Bufford.

Telling Holt that keeping Butler, the Spurs will be at the cap limit or over, and unable to sign any other players including Scola.-----Bufford

Telling Bufford under no circumstances the Spurs will be over the cap and to trade what ever players (Butler) is necessary to get cap safe.-----Holt

Finding no interest for Butler and his contract, the Spurs must include Scola to Houston to rid themselves of Butler. ------Bufford

Bitching that the Spurs traded Scola to Houston.----Pop

Seeing his team get older with few younger players to step up, watching his team now struggle against other contending teams, and watching season ticket sales plummet. ------Holt

manubili
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Let's break this down.

Pop gets a "great" recommendation from his 'lil buddy Larry Brown on the mumblin', stumblin' Jackie Butler. That was the first mistake.....Pop listening to Larry Brown.

Signing Butler to that 3-year contract for for money than he deserved which lock us into him and got us precariously close to the cap. ---Assist to Bufford.

Finding out the guy can't play, talk, or walk and chew gum at the same time.
---Pop & Bufford.

Telling Holt that keeping Butler, the Spurs will be at the cap limit or over, and unable to sign any other players including Scola.-----Bufford

Telling Bufford under no circumstances the Spurs will be over the cap and to trade what ever players (Butler) is necessary to get cap safe.-----Holt

Finding no interest for Butler and his contract, the Spurs must include Scola to Houston to rid themselves of Butler. ------Bufford

Bitching that the Spurs traded Scola to Houston.----Pop

Seeing his team get older with few younger players to step up, watching his team now struggle against other contending teams, and watching season ticket sales plummet. ------Holt

Great resume. The actual error was to include Scola in the trade instead of Oberto or any other player of the kind.

As long as Scola keeps playing as good as the player the spurs seems to be desperately looking for, these threads will be here. :(

SynicFan
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Why they sent him to Houston of all places I will never understand.

'cause they have connections.

true fans of both teams know what im referring to.

Creation88
03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
it was retarded when it happened and it continues to splatter in our faces each and every time. 19 and 17! you're telling me the Spurs couldn't use that right now.

ugh

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Great resume. The actual error was to include Scola in the trade instead of Oberto or any other player of the kind.

As long as Scola keeps playing as good as the player the spurs seems to be desperately looking for, these threads will be here. :(

We couldn't have included Oberto or any other player being on the Spurs payroll instead of Scola ('s rights ) in the deal.

boutons_deux
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
E-N allows "facial" into a headline, never mind the text?

benefactor
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Damn...just damn.

This article makes me want to punch a baby.

Bob Lanier
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
"A Facial"

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
what you(and many US posters here including LJ) don't know is: that to average 5-6 boards under FIBA rules equals about 8-9 rebounds in the NBA because of the diferences between FIBA and NBA rules.
And I've been trying to explain you this for 2 and a half years now, you friking moron!

Yes, same thing with points and especially assists are much much harder to get in Europe than in NBA. But these NBA fans keep refusing to accept truth.

Mr. Body
03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
That trade cost us championships. Period.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
"A Facial"

You know, like the one women and well groomed men get at spa's.

Although at Kim's Spa in Houston...

Indazone
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
but but but...with the money you saved you were able to pay and keep Bonner.

Agloco
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
but but but...with the money you saved you were able to pay and keep Bonner.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!!

Bonner > Scola :rolleyes

WalterBenitez
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

probably reading us ... :eyebrows

mytespurs
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not familiar with the Scola trade history....why did the Spurs give up on him? And they gave him up for.....He would've been a great asset to have especially now.

Scola Trade
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm not familiar with the Scola trade history....why did the Spurs give up on him? And they gave him up for.....He would've been a great asset to have especially now.
Just a bad decision by our FO.:bang It came down to either extend Bonner or sign Scola. The amazing thing is that some people around here still think the Bonner was the right choice :wow

PDXSpursFan
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Reason why we don't need Scola:

1) His game doesn't translate to the NBA :rolleyes
2) He's undersize for PF :smokin
3) We got Bonner instead :bang

manufor3
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Scola thread...

:pctoss

objective
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM

To the best of my recollection . . .

For whatever reason (presumably bad blood between both parties but worse from the Spurs), the Spurs had decided not to sign Scola. The bad blood could be attributed to starting when either Scola was so upset at not being drafted in the first round it colored his attitude towards the Spurs or when RC Buford sent unflattering email to Scola after a big season about the flaws in his game for critiquing purposes.

They had a chance in summer 05, but spent the MLE instead on Oberto (for less than Scola's 3/9-10 that he had asked for) and later Finley, causing a furor with Scola who had thought that much progress had been made on the buyout and they were very close to a deal.

That's when the campaign began. Narratives began through the local media that conitinue through to this day with the fans (begun by whom . . . you decide). False stories both to make nobody out to be the bad guy (Spurs need a center not a PF like Scola, if only Scola was taller) and to make Scola out to be the bad guy (like demanding to have the full MLE or demanding to start). Plus of course the belittling of Scola's game, like he couldn't rebound. Or how having the another post scorer would get in Duncan's way, even though he had a mid-range game at the time. Funny how once Gooden is available the same people who fell for the anti-Scola song and dance drooled at the possibilty of having another potential low post threat with Gooden.

In reaction to the glaringly obvious situation that the Spurs would never sign him, one of Scola's agents began making noise about Scola being held a slave in either summer of 06 or summer 07 before the trade. That didn't help his cause with the Spurs either.

And the trade was born.

Old School 44
03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Then why did it take less than a week for Houston to work out a buy-out and a contract for him?

Simply, the Spurs' hubris and their public attempts to flacate fans who were questioning why Scola wasn't coming year after year led to the situation in which Scola would never be a Spur. Then, they drafted Splitter, but he and Luis were teammates and friends, and he knew how much Scola despised how he felt the Spurs had treated him. So to make nice for Splitter, they had to do right by Scola. Why they sent him to Houston of all places I will never understand.

+1

I understand the salary dump and the "make nice" for Splitter, but send him east to the Wizards, Raptors or Knicks, not to a conference rival.

Duncan2177
03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I bet the spurs organization is kicking themselves in the ass for that dumbass trade.

mytespurs
03-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Just a bad decision by our FO.:bang It came down to either extend Bonner or sign Scola. The amazing thing is that some people around here still think the Bonner was the right choice :wow

Thanks for the info. Bonner vs Scola???!!:wow-I prefer Scola.....that's my front running opinion for the day! :lol I may change my opinion if Bonner becomes a beast during the playoffs.

wireonfire
03-23-2009, 06:29 PM
by the way here are last month averages from yahoo sports:

Luis Scola - .545(FG%) .820(FT%) 13.7(PTS) 10.5(REB) 1.7(AST) 0.6(STL) 0.2(BLK) 2.1(TO)

Tim Duncan - .432(FG%) .638(FT%) 14.8(PTS) 10.4(REB) 2.9(AST) 0.9(STL) 1.5(BLK) 2.2(TO)

Marcus Bryant
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
So at the height of his powers, Scola is able to play a blistering 10 game stretch at the same level as a gimpy Tim Duncan. :jack

Capt Bringdown
03-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Exactly. Championships as in plural.
F'n tragic.

Mr Bones
03-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Spurstalk: where new posters (who, *gasp*, haven't spent thousands of hours of their lives on an internet forum) get criticized for starting Scola threads by spurstalk members with thousands of posts who have been obsessed for two years with and posted thousands of comments about the Luis Scola Disaster!

Marcus Bryant
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
F'n tragic.

But hey, we shouldn't question dumb basketball trades made for financial purposes. As fans we are supposed to cheer ownership's bottom line.

mytespurs
03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
F'n tragic.
But...the Spurs managed to win another championship w/o Scola's services....and get to the WCF as well. It's really hard to say whether the Spurs would've won more or the same amount of championships even if they had Scola.

But I, of course, would've picked Scola over Bonner....:)

Russ
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM

I hope not. I don't think Scola would help the Spurs that much. Especially against the Lakers.

However, it's hard not to notice that the Spurs' most bold feats of hubris (giving away Scola and drafting Mahinmi when no one else had him in the 1st round) occurred right after championships were won. In the heady summers of '05 and '07.

Were the Spurs too giddy with their own success? Too careless in their conviction that they could do no wrong?

The future will tell.

smeagol
03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
And oh yeah, that trade has turned out worse than I imagined. And at the time I thought it was the worst trade in franchise history.

Please let whottt know, because he respects your b-ball opinion (as opposed to my opinion, which he wipes his ass with)

Capt Bringdown
03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
However, it's hard not to notice that the Spurs' most bold feats of hubris (giving away Scola and drafting Mahinmi when no one else had him in the 1st round) occurred right after championships were won. In the heady summers of '05 and '07.

07 really sticks out in my mind. A turning point, perhaps.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Please let whottt know, because he respects your b-ball opinion (as opposed to my opinion, which he wipes his ass with)

And theres a saying that goes like 'If opinions were assholes..'

chamuco
03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Something nobody has mentioned is the effect scola had on Carl Landry. Landry was drafted on second round, for which he was pissed. Then he was not guaranteed to start because of Scola. So he had to prove himself. Now if Scola was not a leave your teeth on the floor kind of player the Argentinians are known for, Landry would not have to work hard and try to prove himself every game. Scola makes other people around him work hard, just like Manu and Tim. You think Parker would have developed the same way on another team? When Scola goes to the bench Landry comes in for him, and other teams get no rest, because he does not let up. Scola or Landry are not a Tim Duncan, and there is no Duncan coming anytime soon in the draft. Duncan is the kind of player you won't see for a long time. Having said that the Rockets really needed a power forward, why the Spurs gave them one again is something for you Spur fans to :bang . The combination of Scola and Landry give the Rockets a combination of about 25 to 30 points a game, and about 20 to 25 rebounds a game. Scola or Landry are no Tim Duncan, but together they put up some prime time Duncan numbers. In Houston they are called Scolandry. If they can solve their McGrady Yao health issues, Artest doesn't go postal, and Aaron Brooks turns into a decent point guard, they will be in business

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Scolandry? Gives you an idea of how highly regarded they are for people who don't follow the Rockets. I will pay more attention to that next time the Rockets play.

Good to have actual insight instead of just network talking heads rhetoric. I haven't seen any mention of that from ESPN etc..

That's kinda neat, other teams fans giving out nuggets of info that show affection for their guys.

Austin_Toros
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
the name of this article/thread LOL

SA210
03-23-2009, 11:59 PM

whottt
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM

I have a different argument with him...don't get me wrong, he's wrong too, but he's just wrong about something diffferent.

His complaint has always been they didn't get a good enough deal...and then he fails to provide proof better deals were turne down whilst clinging to inane trade ideas...

You see, timvp is upset the Spurs didn't trade Scola to Cleveland, he thought that would have been a better deal.

I tell him the same thing I've always said..show me these better deals that were turned down. And why are they better deals?

timvp
03-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I have a different argument with him...don't get me wrong, he's wrong too, but he's just wrong about something diffferent.

His complaint has always been they didn't get a good enough deal...and then he fails to provide proof better deals were turne down whilst clinging to inane trade ideas...

You see, timvp is upset the Spurs didn't trade Scola to Cleveland, he thought that would have been a better deal.

I tell him the same thing I've always said..show me these better deals that were turned down. And why are they better deals?Our disagreement ended when you admitted to the trade being a bad one. I didn't have to go any further after you conceded that point.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
I wonder what Barry says if Scola misses the layup, or if Tony makes his......:rolleyes

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I and also some others here keeps try to explain to NBA American fans that stats in Europe is not same thing as they are in NBA. So many Spurs fans cannot understand this. They keep say thing like "5 rebounds in Europe means player will suck in NBA" and such.

This same arguments keeps come up EVERY TIME someone suggest a player from Europe, just as same case with Scola where Spurs fans really did believe 6 rebounds per game in Euroleague mean this will be really poor rebounder in NBA. Without even understand that 6 rebounds in Euroleague is like 9-10 rebounds in NBA.

Same with assists. No matter how many time this is explain here fans do not believe it. But in Europe an assist is only count if a player score directly on pass. So think of this way, most assists that players like Paul, Nash, Kidd, Stockton and such players gets in NBA will never even be count in Europe.

Also points. So many fans keeps says dumb things like "12 points in Euroleague = 3 points in NBA" but this is stupid. Teams only average 75 points so how can 12 points be same thing as in NBA? Games are much slower and much shorter.

But I and some others here have said this so many times and we never get anywhere and instead we just get insults and call bad names and attacked by others here for say such things. As can see by discussions with Scola Spurs fans need to learn some things about game in Europe. This is prove by how any time a fan bring up a good player in Europe for Spurs they are always attack after some idiots looks up there stats in Europe.

I will show you idiots how foolish you look. I will use Panathinaikos team all time stats as example here for this stats lesson since Panathinaikos team is rank by FIBA Europe as #1 best Euroleague team of last 20 years history. So we will see how best team in Europe in last 20 years has in all history in this same period each best player for stats.

Best career scorers per game in history of Panathinaikos

1. Dejan Bodiroga 18.6
2. Vassilis Spanoulis 12.2
3. Jaka Lakovic 12.1
4. Ibrahim Kutluay 11.4
5. Mike Batiste 10.7
6. Antonis Fotsis 10.1
7. Daryl Middleton 8.7
8. Dimitris Diamantidis 8.6
9. Fragiskos Alvertis 8.3
10. Johnny Rogers 7.9

best career assists per game in history of Panathinaikos

1. Vassilis Spanoulis 3.6
2. Dimitris Diamantidis 3.6
3. Dejan Bodiroga 3.1
4. Jaka Lakovic 2.6
5. Giorgos Kalaitzis 1.7
6. Nikos Hatzivrettas 1.2
7. Ibrahim Kutluay 1.0
8. Kostas Tsartsaris 1.0
9. Johnny Rogers 0.9
10. Antonis Fotsis 0.9

best career rebounds per game in history of Panathinaikos

1. Mike Batiste 5.5
2. Dejan Bodiroga 5.1
3. Antonis Fotsis 4.5
4. Dimitris Diamantidis 4.4
5. Kostsas Tsartsaris 4.1
6. Darryl Middleton 3.6
7. Dimos Dikoudis 2.9
8. Johnny Rogers 2.5
9. Ibrahim Kutluay 2.2
10. Fragiskos Alvertis 2.1

As you can see even in team that has been in the last 20 years the best team in Europe, even in such club as this these are the stats. Even as can see players like Dimitris Diamantidis and Dejan Bodiroga with all their MVP awards and even Diamantidis was vote best player in Europe once, you can see their stats here, Diamantidis winning best European player award and his stats is 8 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists.

So PLEASE from now on when someone explain to you like how Bourousis gets 7-8 rebounds in Europe in one of biggest Euroleague clubs please understand this means he is an incredible rebounder, instead of same crap like "that means he will get 2 rebounds in NBA". Just like how idiots never could learn about Scola.

And please try understand that also stats in Europe is not like same as in NBA like in NBA any stats from same league is use as example. In Europe cannot do that. You cannot use stats from small or even middle size clubs and think is same thing as big size Euroleague clubs. A player can get 15 points and 5 assists in a small Euroleague club and will not even make the roster of a big Euroleague club. Or a player will get 15 points and 3 assists in a middle size Euroleague club and will be lucky to make even active roster of a big Euroleague club.

And no way in hell can you compare stats from leagues like Spain and Italy and such to Euroleague. But all the time we see here fans is always doing this. Like how players is having such stats in Italy or whatever. Is nonsense.

You must look at players that are in the big Euroleague clubs and then understand what these stats mean. As you can already see player like Luis Scola. Scola in his career in big Euroleague club TAU was 15.4 PPG and 5.9 RPG

Spurs fans kept believe such nonsense as 15 and 6 Euroleague player from big club = 6 and 2 NBA player :rolleyes But as you can see even in NBA playoffs Scola was 14 and 9 player as a rookie.

You need to learn about the stats difference between NBA and big Euroleague clubs before you keep say all this same crap here all the time. Just like in Bourousis thread people are say same retarded shit.

Just look at Tiago Splitter in TAU (a big Euroleague club) his career numbers is 9.8 PPG and 4.7 RPG 10 and 5 player. So stats is NOT the same as in NBA. Same thing with Vassilis Spanoulis as you can see 12 and 4 type of point guard in a big Euroleague club is the best guard numbers in the history of the best European club of the last 20 years. Yet so many fans here says these are "bad stats".

I am hope now that after Luis Scola situation that Spurs fans will finally understand this that you can see what 15 and 6 player Luis Scola in big Euroleague club can do in NBA. And maybe this will also show some of you how things some of you say to posters like me and some others here is so retarded.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Just because Scola made it in the league doesn't mean that Vagisilouououous could have done the same.

whottt
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Our disagreement ended when you admitted to the trade being a bad one.

I didn't have to go any further after you conceded that point.

You still need to prove they turned down better offers...the main reason I consider the trade bad is because Splitter effed us.

If anyone remembers, I wanted to trade Scola for Nocioni...Scola being exactly what the Bulls needed and Nocioni being very much what the Spurs needed...

Unfortunately Paxon was an idiot. But if you can show me they could have done that trade and didn't...I'll be as pissed as everyone else is.

Outside of that...I'm glad he's not in Cleveland...because LeBron doesn't need much.

It may be a bad trade...that doesn't mean it wasn't the best deal the Spurs could get. Butler's salary wasn't that huge of an obstacle.

timvp
03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
You still need to prove they turned down better offers...the main reason I consider the trade bad is because Splitter effed us.

If anyone remembers, I wanted to trade Scola for Nocioni...Scola being exactly what the Bulls needed and Nocioni being very much what the Spurs needed...

Unfortunately Paxon was an idiot. But if you can show me they could have done that trade and didn't...I'll be as pissed as everyone else is.

Outside of that...I'm glad he's not in Cleveland...because LeBron doesn't need much.

It may be a bad trade...that doesn't mean it wasn't the best deal the Spurs could get. Butler's salary wasn't that huge of an obstacle.Doing nothing would have been better than the trade. Splitter would be starting for the Spurs right now.

There's no reason for me to have to prove there was a better trade when calling Scola's bluff like I said to do from the beginning was a much better option than gifting him to the Rockets.

whottt
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Doing nothing would have been better than the trade. Splitter would be starting for the Spurs right now.

There's no reason for me to have to prove there was a better trade when calling Scola's bluff like I said to do from the beginning was a much better option than gifting him to the Rockets.

Depends on if you consider the Rockets a championship contender...and I don't. I consider them IR contenders.

Cleveland OTOH, since we had just met them in the finals and their weakest link was Drew Gooden...that would have been a bad trade, and at the time that was a trade you were touting.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
The FO made a bigger mistake (ie the trade) to cover up for a smaller mistake (ie signing Butler).

Things to think about. Had the Spurs signed Pryzbilla or Mohammed in 2006 then they would've been stuck paying the lux tax for the 2007-08 season. Then I guess they'd just have wished Scola well playing through the prime of his career with Tau.

One wonders which front office member pushed for that trade. Pop has bitched about it publicly. Then again, Pop did call out Peter when it appeared the Spurs were going to let Tony hit the open market over a relatively small amount during his extension negotiations. Of course, that could've simply been a case of good cop, bad cop on the part of the Spurs.

The amusing thing is the Spurs could very well be creating cap flexibility in 2010 for a run at....Scola.

What really compounded the fuckup that was the lux tax motivated trade was the drafting of Splitter.

whottt
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
To me it's a matter of getting something rather than nothing for Scola....some feel giving him to the Rockets was a horrible trade and we'd have been better off getting nothing...

I say that's only true if the Rockets end up eliminating us from the playoffs or winning a championship.

In lieu of that, the Spurs got something rather than nothing.

I think it's a definite possibility that they faced the prospect of losing Scola, and could not get better offers for him.

If you want to rip the Spurs for not knowing how to generate interest from other teams in their players...

Take a number...the FO always has had that problem and still does, and it's simply because if Pop plays a guy he wants to keep him and if he doesn't play him he wants to move him and the other teams know that and repect Pop so they imediately become suspicious of why Pop is willing to part with them.

In the case of Scola...everyone knew of the contentious relationship between the FO and Scola, and the Spurs probably were actively shopping him and it hurt the interest in Scola.

Pop's not a salesman...it's just the way it is, and no one's perfect.

Russ
03-24-2009, 08:24 PM
The amusing thing is the Spurs could very well be creating cap flexibility in 2010 for a run at....Scola.

With all due respect . . .

I would submit . . .

in the interest of fairness . . .

as an opposing view . . .

Hell will freeze over :wow:wow:wow(so to speak) before the Spurs go after Scola in FA . . . :wow

First, he's overrated.

Second, he's overrated.

Third, the Spurs hate him.

Fourth, he hates the Spurs.

Fifth, even Manu and Fab don't like him that much.

(That last one was just a hunch). :)

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Yet, the Spurs were willing to grant him the opportunity to play in the league, albeit for another franchise.

whottt
03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
^^Let say we can't win another championship again(I cross my fingers)in a long time, and the Rockets get out of the POs 1st round or they even get to the WCFs but they don't win a championship with Scola.
You wouldn't regret it to see him with the Rockets instead of being helping us winning a title??
c´mon man,get out of that closet already.!!!

I'm not in any closet, you're from Argentina, you over-rate Scola because he is also from Argentina, you are angry about this trade mostly because you are an Argentine and so is Scola.

This is the reality here..

The other segment of people bitching about this are card carrying members of the grass is greener club...

These are the ones that rationalize signing Charles Manson if he had ever started for Mike D'antoni, Don Nelson or Rick Adelman. Then they'll be the first in line to say how badly he sucks once he's not getting minutes because Pop won't play him...for whatever reason.

This is the reality of this tradem, this is why people bitch and continue to bitch..

And no, I will never see things from their POV...the dominating emotions of the scola suckers are pride(Argentine) and envy(Grass is always greener club).

I couldn't careless if Scola makes the playoffs and it won't hurt.

And the Rockets ought to be able to make it out of the first round at some point if they keep making hte playoffs every year, unless they are one of the most inept playoff teams in the history of the NBA.

It's not an accomplishment if they eventually do it(after 5 or 6 tries), it's that the fact that it took them 7 or 8 tries means they suck unusually hard at playoff basketball.

Besides, the main thing keeping them from advancing has called it season early. That still leaves them with Yao's lack of mobility up and down the court and Artest's instability...not to mention a rookie PG and an excuse making coach.

They are not a title contender.
Scola is not that good.

So it really comes down to if you think they should have just wasted the Scola pick, or gotten something from it. The Spurs chose the less gluttonous and wasteful path...

That's really all it is.

And the Rockets aren't going to win a championship....if they do and Scola is a reason, yes, it will hurt.

Solid D
03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
...and here I thought it was obvious to everyone with a brain stem + that the Scola trade was a sickeningly poor decision. The Houston Goodwill Industries Rockets were smart.

Meanwhile, the Spurs are playing Duncan at Center anyway and miss out on gaining the benefit of having 3 Argentine NT stars playing on the floor together with all of the synergy that comes with that.

whottt
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.wtamu.edu/~crobinson/Greener/Cattle1.jpg

#1. You over-rate Scola.
#2. You assume Scola was signable by the Spurs.
#3. You seem to be unaware of how badly Scola has done against us when Bonner was defending him :lol
#4. You assume Scola would get played on the Spurs like he does on the Rockets and ignore the fact that Bonner isn't starting because of his rebounding and defense, he's starting because of his ability to hit the 3.

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
#1. You over-rate Scola.
#2. You assume Scola was signable by the Spurs.
#3. You seem to be unaware of how badly Scola has done against us when Bonner was defending him :lol
#4. You assume Scola would get played on the Spurs like he does on the Rockets and ignore the fact that Bonner isn't starting because of his rebounding and defense, he's starting because of his ability to hit the 3.

1) I could under-rate Scola and he would still bring fluidity back to the Spurs' offense. Why you ask? Because he knows how to find the seams, he creates loose balls, he hustles in smart fashion, and he has great basketball instincts. Who wouldn't want that in a draft choice they already owned the rights to?

2) Yes, I do think he was signable. The fact that he signed at an affordable price lends one to think in that direction.

3) Next.

4) I don't think the Spurs would use Luis the same as Houston does. Scola is excellent off the bench and late in games. He keeps things from getting bogged down. He's a very smart, skilled basketball player. You betcha the Spurs would benefit from 3 Argentines on the floor when Timmy rests. New Flex city.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
#1 - whottt underrates all non-caucasians, except for David Robinson and Romain Sato.

#2 - I think the question was when was he signable prior to 2007? The Spurs put out a ton of misinformation about his availability. Which was compounded by the amount of bluster coming from Scola's side, including the fact that at one point he had two separate representatives. As it stood, the true cost to the Spurs for signing Scola to the kind of deal the Rockets did was not $2.7 mil in the 2007-08 season, but would have been something like $13 mil when you factor in the cost of Butler's salary plus the luxury tax that would have been due, as well as the luxury tax distributions foregone. Obviously it was a horrible basketball trade, but there's no doubt why Holt Cat pulled the trigger.

#3 - rofl.

#4 - Scola's 20 foot J has been dependable enough.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Of course, the cost to the Spurs for sitting on Scola's rights when they couldn't find a taker save for a team in their own division would have been something like Butler's salary X 2 (~$7 mil total) plus the foregone luxury tax distributions.

It was painfully amusing how quickly Scola signed with a NBA team after the Spurs had emphatically made it out to be so difficult.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Even so, the question then seems to be was Scola worth $20 mil over 3 years instead of $10 mil over 3? We were assured by the usual front office polesmokers in here that the FO knew what they were doing and that we should worship their financial statements.

Not to mention that the Spurs gave up a 1st round pick for a big (after Elson proved to be worthless and Oberto started to run in mud) and signed him to a 2 year, $10 mil contract in the 2008 offseason.

If RC couldn't figure out that Scola could play in this league maybe SI or whoever should write a retraction.

whottt
03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
1) I could under-rate Scola and he would still bring fluidity back to the Spurs' offense. Why you ask? Because he knows how to find the seams, he creates loose balls, he hustles in smart fashion, and he has great basketball instincts. Who wouldn't want that in a draft choice they already owned the rights to?

Doesn't seem to do Oberto much good...probably because of his lack of speed, and since Scola makes Bonner look fast...

2) Yes, I do think he was signable. The fact that he signed at an affordable price lends one to think in that direction.

He didn't sign with the Spurs at an affordable price.

4) I don't think the Spurs would use Luis the same as Houston does. Scola is excellent off the bench and late in games.

He's not that great off the bench. He's also not that excellent late in games. In fact that's probably the biggest flaw with him. Yeah he had a good game late against us...but that's just one game.

whottt
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
#1 - whottt underrates all non-caucasians, except for David Robinson and Romain Sato.

Marcus Bryant is either:

A. Bringing up an irrelevant point.
B. Unaware of what a caucasian is.
Or
C. Aware of what a caucasian is yet unaware that Luis Scola is one...making this entire point moot, not to mention a bit ironic.

#2 - I think the question was when was he signable prior to 2007? The Spurs put out a ton of misinformation about his availability. Which was compounded by the amount of bluster coming from Scola's side, including the fact that at one point he had two separate representatives. As it stood, the true cost to the Spurs for signing Scola to the kind of deal the Rockets did was not $2.7 mil in the 2007-08 season, but would have been something like $13 mil when you factor in the cost of Butler's salary plus the luxury tax that would have been due, as well as the luxury tax distributions foregone. Obviously it was a horrible basketball trade, but there's no doubt why Holt Cat pulled the trigger.

That, and they already had a better defending version of Scola in Oberto.

whottt
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
#3. Next.

#3 - rofl.

Uh...no ya'll don't. Scola had 3 average to poor games against us with Bonner starting and being his primary defender. Not to mention Bonner putting him in his personal highlight film with a steal and dunk. He's(Bonner) also lead he league in 3 shooting mos of this season, his primary reason for being on the court. This most recent game that sutuation was changed, Bonner didn't start, and Scola went off...

Don't put that on Bonner, put that on Kurt Thomas, and Pop for starting him, the one player in the NBA slower than Scola is.

ShoogarBear
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Obstructed_View
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's sad that Scola's not here now, but who thought that Splitter wasn't going to be a Spur this year before the trade? If he hadn't stayed in Europe, would we care how good Scola was other than to say his weaknesses weren't really as glaring as we'd thought?

GSH
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
...but then, just three weeks after the Spurs signed him, Scola came down awkwardly and suffered an ACL tear, and has never really gotten back to the level of play he showed in Europe. Unable to play Scola, or to unload Jackie Butler's contract, the Spurs have suffered through their worst personnel drought in the last decade, leaving fans to think about "what might have been".

You don't know what would have happened. The Spurs have done pretty damned well, I'd say. They went to the WCF last season, and have the second best record in the West this season. Give it a fucking rest.