PDA

View Full Version : A New Challenger Rises in the Southwest

phxspurfan
03-23-2009, 12:42 AM
The Spurs just played a team that can seriously contend for a title. The Rockets (rockettes, sprockets) have been ridiculed as being post-Dream has-beens. But the reality is that they have always been that one piece, or piece of luck, away from being a true contender.

After always being labeled as a one-and-done playoff team, they are starting to show signs that they will finally break that habit, and sooner rather than later. Without T-Mac, they are winning as a team and everyone is playing hard, buying into the defensive game, while also playing steady offense.

The one hole, and X-factor, I see with their team is Aaron Brooks. If he can continue to learn the facilitator role and demonstrate he can handle playoff-type pressure -- pressure defense he was shown at times today -- the Rockets will exit the first round victorious and find themselves on a nice long/long overdue playoff run.

I see their chemistry improving just as the Spurs typically do in March. They look healthy, finally, and ready to challenge in the West as a dark horse.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
I do agree they have clearly improved and have become another very good Western conference team, but I don't see them getting past the Spurs in a 7 game series or the Lakers for that matter. Thus, I do not believe they will be vying for the LOB against the Eastern conference winner.

celldweller
03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
The Spurs just played a team that can seriously contend for a title. The Rockets (rockettes, sprockets) have been ridiculed as being post-Dream has-beens. But the reality is that they have always been that one piece, or piece of luck, away from being a true contender.

After always being labeled as a one-and-done playoff team, they are starting to show signs that they will finally break that habit, and sooner rather than later. Without T-Mac, they are winning as a team and everyone is playing hard, buying into the defensive game, while also playing steady offense.

The one hole, and X-factor, I see with their team is Aaron Brooks. If he can continue to learn the facilitator role and demonstrate he can handle playoff-type pressure -- pressure defense he was shown at times today -- the Rockets will exit the first round victorious and find themselves on a nice long/long overdue playoff run.

I see their chemistry improving just as the Spurs typically do in March. They look healthy, finally, and ready to challenge in the West as a dark horse.

:rolleyes

All my SpursTalk Cash: ($7650) says one and done.

rapliketp
03-23-2009, 12:58 AM
The Rockets play Utah next. Easily a loss for Rockets. The Spurs back at first in the SW division.

crc21209
03-23-2009, 01:04 AM
The Rockets play Utah next. Easily a loss for Rockets. The Spurs back at first in the SW division.

No way the Rox win in Utah. We should be fine. Houston's next four games are at Utah, vs. Clippers, at Phoenix, and at the Lakers. We on the other hand only play 2 winning teams in the next 6 games. We got the Warriors, Hawks, Clippers, Hornets, Thunder, and Pacers.

RocketsYAO11
03-23-2009, 02:09 AM
oh I think the rockets is a team without T-MAC
they played very hard tonight everyone should respect them

MrChug
03-23-2009, 02:36 AM
i do agree they have clearly improved and have become another very good western conference team, but i don't see them getting past the spurs in a 7 game series or the lakers for that matter. Thus, i do not believe they will be vying for the lob against the eastern conference winner.

+1000

MrChug
03-23-2009, 02:37 AM
oh I think the rockets is a team without T-MAC
they played very hard tonight everyone should respect them

I think we actually DO respect them, but it's not that we think they could beat us in a 7 game series that's all.

Kai
03-23-2009, 02:55 AM
I do agree they have clearly improved and have become another very good Western conference team, but I don't see them getting past the Spurs in a 7 game series or the Lakers for that matter. Thus, I do not believe they will be vying for the LOB against the Eastern conference winner.

^ Pretty much the consensus opinion for us Rockets fans. We do still have a lot of room for improvement.

timvp
03-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Meh, I'm not worried about the Spurs losing to the Rockets in a series. With Thomas to defend Yao, Udoka and Bowen to defend Artest and Parker in playoff defense mode defending Brooks ... I'd say the Spurs matchup extremely well with Houston. As long as the Big Three were healthy, I can't imagine the Spurs losing to the Rockets.

whottt
03-23-2009, 04:17 AM
I bet Udoka's willing to pay for the Rockets to fly back and play the Spurs again tomorrow.

He was single handedly destroying the Rockets and then Pop pulled him when he was RED HOT.

m33p0
03-23-2009, 04:43 AM

you lost me at 'seriously'.:wakeup

03-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Meh, I'm not worried about the Spurs losing to the Rockets in a series. With Thomas to defend Yao, Udoka and Bowen to defend Artest and Parker in playoff defense mode defending Brooks ... I'd say the Spurs matchup extremely well with Houston. As long as the Big Three were healthy, I can't imagine the Spurs losing to the Rockets.

yeah i don't imagine the spurs losing to the rockets in the playoffs either. with a healthy team, the spurs can match up with any team not named the lakers. i would still like the rockets to drop two spaces, though, and face the lakers instead. rockets can still take on the lakers, especially if bynum is still not at fulls strength. brooks would burn fisher, rockets can throw artest and battier on bryant, and yao would own gasol. scola can probabaly defend odom pretty well and the rockets are just as deep as the lakers. i don't want the spurs to eliminate the rockets and in the process get rid of a legitimate challenger for the lakers.

urunobili
03-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I bet Udoka's willing to pay for the Rockets to fly back and play the Spurs again tomorrow.

He was single handedly destroying the Rockets and then Pop pulled him when he was RED HOT.

uselss if Pop is going to a sloppy Mason and Fin at the end of the game.. doesn;t matter how hot u got... he's gonna fucking bench you... :wakeup

screw_ston713
03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
I admire the Spurs organization but the spurs havent been playing at some high level above the rest of the west. The only clear favorite team to come out the west is Lakers. Spurs continue to blow leads, lose close games, and lose big games. No game seems to be of importance. Against lakers it was no big deal its just the regular season, the loss to Boston it was no big deal its just regular season, the loss to Rockets in a game against a divisional team to take sole position of the 2nd seed but its no big deal.

tlongII
03-23-2009, 09:00 AM
I admire the Spurs organization but the spurs havent been playing at some high level above the rest of the west. The only clear favorite team to come out the west is Lakers. Spurs continue to blow leads, lose close games, and lose big games. No game seems to be of importance. Against lakers it was no big deal its just the regular season, the loss to Boston it was no big deal its just regular season, the loss to Rockets in a game against a divisional team to take sole position of the 2nd seed but its no big deal.

That is called rationalizing.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM

No, it's called realizing when a win is really essential. It's called recognizing when you need to win and when you'd like to win. The playoffs versus regular season games. The playoffs are must wins, no other game really is. We'd like to win them but they are not must wins. Now Playoffs? Those games are all that matters. It's where Champions are made and those, my friends, are what the Spurs live for.

:smokin

SynicFan
03-23-2009, 09:19 AM

I applaud your unbiased approach

phxspurfan
03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

See that's what I thought about the Rockets during the game. Except vice-versa: Yao was defending Duncan, Artest was defending the wings, Scola was schooling Bonner and Brooks was doing his best with Parker. The issue I am concerned with is whether Duncan will morph into Playoff Duncan. Because Yao, when uninjured, has had no problems stepping up his game in the playoffs, and we can assume Parker will perform. But can this team win, even against the Rockets, with one superstar at 100%?

If Manu comes back and has an impact, will Artest be able to slow him down?

xtremesteven33
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Spurs over Rockets in 5

arodz
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Isn't that the same rederick we hear from Rockets fans every year? How high were they last season when they rode that 20 game win streak. How'd that work out in postseason?

mytespurs
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Isn't that the same rederick we hear from Rockets fans every year? How high were they last season when they rode that 20 game win streak. How'd that work out in postseason?

But, to be fair, this is a new year and possibly a rockets team with a new attitude. This team has the talent to go far if they can put it together on all sides of the ball.

Bruno
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Rockets and Blazers will be the easiest matchups for Spurs in the first round of the playoffs.

urunobili
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Spurs over Rockets in 5

:tu

Agloco
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM

:lol

Now they've lost that one piece and are a contender.......

Agloco
03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
See that's what I thought about the Rockets during the game. Except vice-versa: Yao was defending Duncan, Artest was defending the wings, Scola was schooling Bonner and Brooks was doing his best with Parker. The issue I am concerned with is whether Duncan will morph into Playoff Duncan. Because Yao, when uninjured, has had no problems stepping up his game in the playoffs, and we can assume Parker will perform. But can this team win, even against the Rockets, with one superstar at 100%?

If Manu comes back and has an impact, will Artest be able to slow him down?

Artest can't defend Manu.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM

This is true.

But when Manu drives to the basket, Artest can can knock him silly.

It will be considered a 'playoff foul' and 'tough basketball.'

I'd rather not see this happen.

Thomas82
03-23-2009, 02:04 PM

I still think they are a cuople years away.

Agloco
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Since our 2 and 5 start , the Spurs are 43-19 including the LA, Boston, Cleveland and Houston losses. Factor in that Manu has been out for 30 games and Tim's knees are bad and have been the entire season, you're hard-pressed to call our record anything short of great.

It's called experience based on a decade plus of championship caliber basketball. Clearly a foreign concept to you, tlongII.

djohn2oo8
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
So if rockets and spurs meet in second round, who would guard Artest??? Finley anyone???

Agloco
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
So if rockets and spurs meet in second round, who would guard Artest??? Finley anyone???

Finley/Bowen

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
spinkle in Udoka

Many PackYao
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
spinkle in Udoka
Nah, Artest is too strong for Emo Sudoku. Better stick with Bowen/Finley.:p:

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Emo Sudoku, grin that's clever.

So that whole story about him Kung fuuing his way out of Africa was a farce? And here I thought we had a black belt in our pocket.

Indazone
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Rockets should do whatever it takes to avoid Utah. If it means holding on to the second seed so be it. If Utah is holding the 7th seed, then we should just tank and let the Spurs play them. We don't want to come out of the first round injured banged up and bruised because that is what Sloan and his Thugs will do.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
lol.. the Jazz... Sloan Thugs and Harmony

xtremesteven33
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
lol.. the Jazz... Sloan Thugs and Harmony

Sloan thugs and Harpring

Many PackYao
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Emo Sudoku, grin that's clever.

So that whole story about him Kung fuuing his way out of Africa was a farce? And here I thought we had a black belt in our pocket.
Blackbelt? oooh, I'm sure Artest would be really scared now.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Better, Harping should be singled out.

tlongII
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I doubt that either the Rockets or the Spurs will make it out of the 1st round. Unless they play each other. Then one of them has to.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Blackbelt? oooh, I'm sure Artest would be really scared now.

It's not like Artest went into the stands to pick a fight with some huge guy, I don't remember exactly, but he went after someone average.. sounds like a bully to me.

If he and Udoka went at it, and Artest got hit hard once, I think he would run off shocked trying to hold in tears, suprised someone fought back.

Matchman
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM

every rational rockets fan knew that we aint going to beat the Jizz last year without Yao. we were just hoping to drag the series as long as possible to fuck up the Jizz's title run (and we actually did :toast)

Many PackYao
03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I doubt that either the Rockets or the Spurs will make it out of the 1st round. Unless they play each other. Then one of them has to.
The FrailBlazers ain't going nowhere this year either.:p:

Many PackYao
03-23-2009, 02:47 PM
It's not like Artest went into the stands to pick a fight with some huge guy, I don't remember exactly, but he went after someone average.. sounds like a bully to me.

If he and Udoka went at it, and Artest got hit hard once, I think he would run off shocked trying to hold in tears, suprised someone fought back.
I guess we're gonna have to get Sudoku to throw a drink at Artest and we'll find out.

Spurs Brazil
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Rockets will be one and done again

Indazone
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Manu needs to get back on the court fast because the playoffs are approaching and he needs to get the rust off.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I won't lie. I'd wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Just a man with certain pugilistic urges.

Can hardly wait for Pacman vs Hatton, been too long since Manny fought someone that tested him.

Many PackYao
03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I won't lie. I'd wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Just a man with certain pugilistic urges.

Can hardly wait for Pacman vs Hatton, been too long since Manny fought someone that tested him.:toast

crc21209
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

:sleep Always something negative to say....

Spurs 4 The Win
03-23-2009, 05:20 PM

You might have brain damage, both teams would wipe the floor with your team. You would either gets smashed by us or get to be the team that actually lets the Rockets win in the first round. :lmao

Agloco
03-23-2009, 05:41 PM

:sleep Always something negative to say....

And stupid to boot....

So how bout dem Fail-Blazers? WCF? Perhaps the Finals?

mytespurs
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Rockets should do whatever it takes to avoid Utah. If it means holding on to the second seed so be it. If Utah is holding the 7th seed, then we should just tank and let the Spurs play them. We don't want to come out of the first round injured banged up and bruised because that is what Sloan and his Thugs will do.

To be the best or top dog, they need to play and beat teams like Utah....helps to toughen them up, at least mentally.

superbigtime
03-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Shut up fucktard.

MannyIsGod
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
The only thing that yesterday proved was how poorly the Spurs are playing and that there is likely only one true contender in the West and it isn't the Rockets or the Spurs. Right now everyone is a long way behind the Lakers and nothing the Rockets have done changes that. The Spurs have much better prospects to reaching that level but they're no where near there at the moment. It remains to be seen if they can reach it at all.

sook
03-23-2009, 09:30 PM

don't kid yourself as much as i dislike artest and hsi stupid boneheadedness he can guard anyone not named Kobe Bryant. No offense but if there was one player on the spurs i though was Overrated, it would be Ginobili. He makes you a much better team but he is a product of the system.

The rockets are playing really well right now but you have to remember they have little playoff experience and the spurs have more than enough...

If the rockets played the spurs in the playoffs, regardless of HCA it would be Spurs in 5 or 6

Capt Bringdown
03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Right now everyone is a long way behind the Lakers and nothing the Rockets have done changes that. The Spurs have much better prospects to reaching that level but they're no where near there at the moment. It remains to be seen if they can reach it at all.

Copy that. Right now I don't see anyone beating the Lakers in a 7 game series, especially when they hold HCA. But that's what make the playoffs interesting, right? If the Lakers were to be eliminated that would certainly be the story of the year.

I believe that PJ's record is 100% when his team wins the 1st game of a series. It would be interesting to see how they might respond to someone stealing the first game from them.

The Rockets do share with us the rare pleasure of knocking the Lakers out of the playoffs. If not us, I wouldn't mind seeing them do it as I've always admired the Rocket's franchise.

Agloco
03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
don't kid yourself as much as i dislike artest and hsi stupid boneheadedness he can guard anyone not named Kobe Bryant. No offense but if there was one player on the spurs i though was Overrated, it would be Ginobili. He makes you a much better team but he is a product of the system.

The rockets are playing really well right now but you have to remember they have little playoff experience and the spurs have more than enough...

If the rockets played the spurs in the playoffs, regardless of HCA it would be Spurs in 5 or 6

Of course he is. He's a defensive stalwart after all right?:rolleyes

Oh, and I case you missed it:

Artest can't defend Manu

sook
03-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Of course he is. He's a defensive stalwart after all right?:rolleyes

Oh, and I case you missed it:

Artest can't defend Manu

No he can't and i willl keep replying to you as long as you have the sexiest sig on ST! Whats her name btw?

Agloco
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
No he can't and i willl keep replying to you as long as you have the sexiest sig on ST! Whats her name btw?

Paloma "Pops" Fiuza. Brazillian model. :toast

mikeanthony21
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM

...and with the Spurs' luck, the Rockets will win by 29.

phxspurfan
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
No offense but if there was one player on the spurs i though was Overrated, it would be Ginobili. He makes you a much better team but he is a product of the system.

:rollin

If there is any one player that isn't a product of Pop's system, it's Manu. In fact, Pop has had to adjust his system to fit Manu's freelancing, ad-lib style of play.

phxspurfan
03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I believe that PJ's record is 100% when his team wins the 1st game of a series.

I'm sorry, but I think stats like that are meaningless. A lot of those wins are based on teams with immense talent and chemistry. Put PJ on the Sixers' bench or the Heat bench and he wouldn't be posting 100%-type figures...

crc21209
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
...and with the Spurs' luck, the Rockets will win by 29.

Not in Utah.