PDA

View Full Version : Did Obama really send a letter to Sarkozy calling him Chirac?

Ignignokt
03-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Is this true? has this been confirmed?

Because not even bush would be this stupid.

Ignignokt
03-23-2009, 03:59 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2212437/posts

Bartleby
03-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Is this true? has this been confirmed?

No, Obama wrote to Chirac, but he didn't forget that he is no longer France's president.

From the original source of the story:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualites/2009/03/19/01001-20090319ARTFIG00357-confidentiel-barack-obama-a-ecrit-a-jacques-chirac-.php

Because not even bush would be this stupid.

As the last eight yeas have taught us, never misunderestimate the depths of Bush's stupidity.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
No, Obama wrote to Chirac, but he didn't forget that he is no longer France's president.If true, that makes the letter even weirder, with its reference to "looking forward to working with [Chirac] during the next four years."

The aloofness exhibited by Obama to two of our closest allies is puzzling. Maybe he wanted to put Brown off balance for some reason. Maybe he thinks Sarkozy's star is on the wane, and that France will return to blue-nosed Gaullism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Gaulle).

The WaPo article hypothesizes peevishness over Sarkozy's slight to Obama's statemanship during the campaign, but this is unsourced, i.e., pure innuendo.

There could be a number of reasons for Obama's bizarrely articulated sense of protocol so far -- Afghanistan, economic coordination of the global bailout, not wanting to be seen cuddling with Europeans, the normal learning curve for any brand-new administration. None of which makes it any less bizarre

The training wheels are off, but the rider still seems a little wobbly. WH23 hopes for and expects change.

johnsmith
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
johnsmith hopes for people to stop referring to themselves in the 3rd person...................

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
johnsmith hopes for people to stop referring to themselves in the 3rd person...................Watch me. I'm about to do it to you.

As usual, johnsmith drops in to slag a poster off topic. :whine

johnsmith
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Watch me. I'm about to do it to you.

As usual, johnsmith drops in to slag a poster off topic. :whine

You're going to "do it" to me???????? Weird.

I don't see how it's off topic though, you constantly refer to yourself in the 3rd person, I feel that makes you come off as a tremendous douche, you did it again in this thread, I called you on it............seems right on topic to me.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't see how it's off topic though, you constantly refer to yourself in the 3rd person.Read the title. If you want to say I left the door open for ridicule, that's one thing. You're entitled to your opinion. But it's not responsive to the OP.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Do you have an actual take on the topic or my response to it, js, other than twitting me for my more or less overt eccentricity? I wonder about this sometimes.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
hmm. must've been taking dictation from the teleprompter. luckily he didn't address sarkozy and mr obama.
hmmmm.....and where is that video?

TIME_CUBE
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Obama must resign to save his people from his catastrophe. SUN power will not allow any
Black Skin power to rule over its Light Domain.
Hell cometh to the dumb, ignorant, educated
stupid "Worshippers of ONE", for Creation
is of OPPOSITES. Born Cubed I defy God of
ONE, for I have a Yes and No mentality
necessary for cubed intelligence -no Cyclopic
educator can allow. Obama must resign or
Doomsday,for only Light can rule over Earth.
No ONEistic god possesses Cubed Wisdom.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
where is that video?It was in a letter to Chirac. Free Republic via Le Figaro, as above.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
It was in a letter to Chirac. Free Republic via Le Figaro, as above.
i was referring to the gaffe with that irish dude.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Link, please?

I was shocked to learn that they have a francophone over at Free Republic.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
ok. let's review. no video, hence no link.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
ok. thx.

RandomGuy
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Obama must resign to save his people from his catastrophe. SUN power will not allow any

Because when you put it all into a giant run-on sentence and make it all red and in caps, that means it must be true and a great opinion.

My eyes are open now.

WTF?

johnsmith
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Because when you put it all into a giant run-on sentence and make it all red and in caps, that means it must be true and a great opinion.

My eyes are open now.

WTF?

RG, I can't believe how ignorant you are being to the red cube. The answers are so clearly right in front of your eyes............duh.............

I'm calling it right now, red cube guy is a Galileo troll who is ironically a troll himself that is pissed because no one takes him serious.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm calling it right now, red cube guy is a Galileo troll who is ironically a troll himself that is pissed because no one takes him serious.Same hyperventilating hostility, same "big word edition" type. Same fundamental incoherence. Could be a good call.

Yonivore
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
If true, that makes the letter even weirder, with its reference to "looking forward to working with [Chirac] during the next four years."

The aloofness exhibited by Obama to two of our closest allies is puzzling. Maybe he wanted to put Brown off balance for some reason. Maybe he thinks Sarkozy's star is on the wane, and that France will return to blue-nosed Gaullism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Gaulle).

The WaPo article hypothesizes peevishness over Sarkozy's slight to Obama's statemanship during the campaign, but this is unsourced, i.e., pure innuendo.

There could be a number of reasons for Obama's bizarrely articulated sense of protocol so far -- Afghanistan, economic coordination of the global bailout, not wanting to be seen cuddling with Europeans, the normal learning curve for any brand-new administration. None of which makes it any less bizarre

The training wheels are off, but the rider still seems a little wobbly. WH23 hopes for and expects change.
Winehole23, he's as stupid as we've been saying all along...

As tragic as this all is, and he may destroy this country, I'm having a great time watching the rose-colored glasses droop from the eyes of the Obamaniacs.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Yoni loves to hate America.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2009, 07:19 PM
:lmao

You beat me to it.

mogrovejo
03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
There was no gaffe with the Irish guy, just a joke.

I don't think there's some new strategy in terms of international policy or something that explains most of this bizarre stuff. No, I think they're just inapt and completely overwhelmed. Where's Biden?

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Of course, no one is interested in the truth -- but here it is.

Obama writes letter to Chirac - blogosphere goes crazy
By Jimmy Orr | 03.23.09

Want to know how quickly rumors get spread on the Internet? Here’s a prime example.

The right side of the web is apoplectic this morning claiming that President Obama doesn’t know who the French president is.

They point to an article in the French newspaper Le Figaro reporting that President Obama last week wrote a letter to former French President Jacques Chirac.

“I am certain that we will be able to work together, in the coming four years, in a spirit of peace and friendship to build a safer world,” Obama is purported to have written.

Wrong guy

This has electrified the Internet. Why would President Obama initiate correspondence with Mr. Chirac instead of President Nicolas Sarkozy?

One excited blogger writes, “Doesn’t Obama ever consult his staff before acting? Sarkozy is the President there! It’s like Sarko writing to George Bush and saying he looks forward to working with him. Chirac is the FORMER president.”

That’s a good heads up. But let’s dig a little deeper.

French-speaking pal

Our handy colleague, Laurent Belsie, who writes the New Economy blog here at the Monitor, speaks French. (We don’t hold that against him.)

With his help we found out that another French newspaper, the New Observer, explained that Obama was merely replying to a Chirac letter who was writing him as the head of his foundation — the Jacques Chirac Foundation for sustainable development and cultural dialogue.

The foundation is promoting access to water and medicines in west Africa, combating deforestation in the Congo Basin, and trying to save dying languages in Polynesia, according to a spokesman who helped set up the foundation.

Teleprompter jokes

Of course it is much more fun to write things like “Maybe President Obama’s correspondence office needs a teleprompter too!” But in fact, there doesn’t seem to be a controversy here.

Le Figaro did opine in its article that “in using the word ‘peace,’ Obama was offering an implicit homage to the former French president who had opposed the Iraq war.”

But other French news organizations confirmed with Chirac’s entourage that they believed the reference was not in regards to the Iraq war but to Chirac’s current work as head of the foundation.

Whatever. In any case, there is no evidence that the language has upset President Sarkozy or anyone else in France.

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/03/23/obama-writes-letter-to-chirac-blogosphere-goes-crazy/

Yonivore
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
There was no gaffe with the Irish guy, just a joke.
Then why won't the White House release the video? You know it exists.

I don't think there's some new strategy in terms of international policy or something that explains most of this bizarre stuff. No, I think they're just inapt and completely overwhelmed. Where's Biden?
Yeah, that's a real confidence builder. Our President is overwhelmed.

You do know, of course, the White House employs protocol experts that don't have to worry about running the world. It's their sole job to make sure visiting dignitaries are treated appropriately.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Of course Yoni isn't interested in the truth -- he is too busy hating America.