PDA

View Full Version : Shut Up Texas Fans! - article

FoxPerez
03-23-2009, 05:34 AM
http://tinyurl.com/dlb9b5

"How high could any sane fan's expectations have been going into this game. After everything we saw throughout the regular season: the inconsistency in the offensive gameplan, the poor free throw shooting, the inability of good players to step up in big moments... you were expecting a win over Duke?"

Awesome article. I can't believe Longhorn basketball fans reacted like this was some home loss to an unranked conference team. This game was so much MORE than that. Article's a great read. Please comment.

http://tinyurl.com/dlb9b5

Doug Collins
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
So are you just posting links to your own blog to rack up hits or what? Lame.

FoxPerez
03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
So you created a profile on this message board so other people know your opinion about stuff in a public forum? Yeah. That's TOTALLY lame. Those two things are absolutely NOT the same thing.

Should've expected that from an Aggie.

The Reckoning
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM

:lmao

Doug Collins
03-23-2009, 11:04 PM
So you created a profile on this message board so other people know your opinion about stuff in a public forum? Yeah. That's TOTALLY lame. Those two things are absolutely NOT the same thing.

Lame = promoting your own article as "awesome" and "a great read" while attempting to disguise it as someone else's to generate traffic. I don't understand why you couldn't say "Hey check out my impressions of the Texas-Duke game and tell me what you think."

Ouch Aggie burn!!!:sleep

Btw I hope you check out my awesome post, it really is a great read. Please comment.:p:

Whisky Dog
03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Texas blew the game against Duke, a game they should have won due to matchup advantages, because they can't shoot free throws and don't have people who can score consistently besides Abrams. Not that hard to figure out, don't know why you had to write a blog on it and link it here

FoxPerez
03-24-2009, 01:01 AM
So if your life was on the line with a gun pointed at your head, you would've picked Texas to win that game because of "matchup advantages?"

DMX7
03-24-2009, 01:24 AM
So are you just posting links to your own blog to rack up hits or what? Lame.

for real.....:wakeup

j-6
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Does your El Paso news station have a blog you can write for, anchorman? Not many people here are going to give a shit about "cocktailmatch.com" (conveniently hidden behind a tinyurl) but a legit news site may shut up your haters.

Extra Stout
03-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Disguising your own site with a tinyurl link, and calling your own work an "awesome article," is an act of douchebaggery in the first degree. Attempts to defend your spamming fail.

RonMexico
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
This only loosely relates to the College Forum, but I've had a blog for a long time about the NBA and sometimes I'll discuss college players entering the draft. You can find it at http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

FoxPerez
03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
OK. So ya got me. I'm trying to draw more attention to my blog on a site that I write for. I use a tiny url because most url's are inconveniently long. I don't consider it spamming though. I think the article was good enough to warrant discussion, but didn't want to post the whole article here because it leaves out the pictures and I'd like my blog to get hits.

I just think it's interesting that only a few people are arguing the merits of the article itself. Personally, I'd like to get back to that...

Unless Aggie fans are so disappointed in getting blown out by UConn while Texas nearly beat Duke, that they'd rather pick fights about my own self-promotion.

Oh, and "Doug Collins," I think if you really want to do justice to that Olympic basketball team, you'll remove any mention of silver from their name. Everyone knows that they deserved the gold, but you'll never hear any of them say they were "proud silver medalists."

Doug Collins
03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
OK. So ya got me. I'm trying to draw more attention to my blog on a site that I write for. I use a tiny url because most url's are inconveniently long. I don't consider it spamming though. I think the article was good enough to warrant discussion, but didn't want to post the whole article here because it leaves out the pictures and I'd like my blog to get hits.

I just think it's interesting that only a few people are arguing the merits of the article itself. Personally, I'd like to get back to that...

Unless Aggie fans are so disappointed in getting blown out by UConn while Texas nearly beat Duke, that they'd rather pick fights about my own self-promotion.

Oh, and "Doug Collins," I think if you really want to do justice to that Olympic basketball team, you'll remove any mention of silver from their name. Everyone knows that they deserved the gold, but you'll never hear any of them say they were "proud silver medalists."

So basically you're a douche with a blog no one cares about. Glad we got that straightened out. I'm sure your mom also thinks you write "awesome" articles.

I don't see what the aggie loss has to do with your shitty attempt to drive blog traffic, but knock yourself out.

Proud Silver Medalist = sarcasm. I'm well aware that no member of that team has collected their silver medals in protest. Sounds like a good topic for your next great article. :wow

dirk4mvp
03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Doug Collings, shouldn't you be practicing your color commentary on front of the mirror instead of bagging on this guy for posting a link to his shitty blog?

j-6
03-24-2009, 10:57 PM
blah

Stop being a pagehit whore and just post the article here. I'll probably read it and comment if you're a legit journalist. We rag on a university with a Ghost of Christmas Future football team around here... someone with a real take about real onfield/ oncourt action would be welcome.

pkbpkb81
03-25-2009, 12:29 AM

hi i am a texas fan and my teams lose in the 2nd round wasn't bad as your teams lose

wtf are you for real:lmao

Doug Collins
03-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Doug Collings, shouldn't you be practicing your color commentary on front of the mirror instead of bagging on this guy for posting a link to his shitty blog?

"Mirror Time" occupies the better part of my mornings, I was bored prior to the Jazz Rockets game and decided to post here. I'm just envious about my blog not getting as many hits :depressed

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Obviously no one is interested in my TrueHoop blog.

I'm Henry Abbott.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Obviously no one is interested in my TrueHoop blog.

I'm Henry Abbott.

Come on Ron you already had Rudy Gay as a bust before he even stepped a second on an NBA court. It was pretty obvious to most that he would turn out to be a nice player. Your talent evaluation skills aren't anything to write home about.

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Come on Ron you already had Rudy Gay as a bust before he even stepped a second on an NBA court. It was pretty obvious to most that he would turn out to be a nice player. Your talent evaluation skills aren't anything to write home about.

Again, I never disputed Rudy Gay's talent, but I was critcizing his attitude from what I saw in college. I figured he'd just fall into the Tyrus Thomas underachievement bucket, but he's been the exact opposite in many ways: he's expanded his game, obviously worked hard during and after the season on improving his jumper, ball-handling, and decision making, and rather than just attend the dunk contest to "get a paycheck," he connected with the fans via YouTube. He's exceeded my expectations and I'll admit it.

I guess I put too much stock in Jim Calhoun's opinion before I realized he was just an asshole, so don't say I'm the only one who claimed Rudy Gay wouldn't live up to his potential:

http://caterwauled.blogspot.com/2008/12/jim-calhon-is-out-of-control.html

I can't find the article, but Calhoun also said that when Gay declared he would be "lucky to land on a Development League team" and routinely referred to him as "just another player" in post-game press conferences. My eyes have been opened.

However, I think Hasheem Thabeet is overrated and probably won't even become as good as a 40-yr-old Dikembe Mutombo in the leauge. I'm still unsure of Blake Griffin because he won't be able to physically dominate everyone in the NBA like he does in college, so it will kind of depend what team he lands on and how well their coaching staff can utilize and nuture him. If he develops a consistent 20-ft jumper, I see him becoming a non-injured hybrid of Boozer and Amare who could average 20-10 within a few years.

The thing that sucks is that Durant is on a stolen team with a terrible record but the kid is putting up amazing numbers and improved so much since PJ was let go.

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Also an interesting read from a poll of the players in the Big East in SI from 2006: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104289/index.htm

You'll find a few tidbits, such as Calhoun is the coach his players most respect, but the coach that players on other teams would least like to play for (because he's a dick), while Rudy Gay is projected as being the most successful pro, but is also the most overrated player in the conference with quotes such as: "He gets a lot of credit for stuff that he hasn't done." ... "With his talent he could do much more." ... "He has the tools, but he's guardable and inconsistent."

Hopefully, you'll finally stop placing all the Rudy Gay hate on my shoulders based upon a few posts I made over 2 years ago. In fact, I seem to have expressed some similar opinions of actual D-I players in the strongest b-ball conference in America, but like a typical Laker fan, you can't let go of the past...

I'll go ahead and backup some of my previous predictions, such as the one where I stated that Bynum has "obviously benefitted from his time with Kareem and become a quality player, but he still has an attitude toward his opponents that borders on 'dickheaded' and you have to be concerned about those knees which were surgically repaired before he hit age 18." Remind me again how many games he's missed in the past 2 years?

Another player who could turn into a solid rotation guy (like Mark Bryant or Paul Millsap) is Blair from Pitt, but you have pause when you realize he's already had 2 knee surgeries...

Purple & Gold
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I've always been of the opinion that it's foolish to try to judge a persons heart or drive unless you personally know them and have spoken to them about it. So many people take little subtle hints that they perceive one way and they just have to realize that not everybody is the same, especially when dealing with young players. And I wouldn't say the jury is out on Tyrus Thomas neither. While he may never be the the player Aldridge is, but I wouldn't place him in the underachievement bucket just yet. Certain players just take longer to develop that's how it is. And Calhoun has always been an idiot. He had his own agenda to advance. You have to take what coaches say with a grain of salt when talking about underclassmen leaving their program.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
"He has the tools, but he's guardable and inconsistent."

No shit cause he's a young player. But key phrase he has the tools. And I just give you a hard time because of the shit fit you threw when I said it was a stupid trade Houston made. I swear you would have thought I was talking about your mother. And that whole bit about Battier being an Olympian was comical. And then of course your a suns fan and lets just say I consider them scum of the earth right there with giants fans.

And Bynum will be fine. He came back strong from his injury last year and from all accounts this injury doesn't seem nearly as serious. Not really concerned at all. He has already shown that he can rebound from a serious injury ala Amare.

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, but I see Shane Battier at a bar in Houston almost every Saturday they're in town and he really is one of the coolest guys I've ever met and chatted b-ball with. Not to say that I wouldn't have a similar relationship with Rudy Gay if he also enjoyed hitting up this place in Midtown, but I'm going to be a Shane Battier fan for life regardless of what he does on the court.

And I didn't think it was a trade Houston should have made based upon their personnel and coaching staff at the time, especially since they considered themselves contenders who just needed a few more pieces (i.e. role players). Yeah, some McGrady PO choke jobs and Yao injuries later, hindsight dictates that Gay would be a great player to have on there, but who knows how he would have meshed with Van Gundy at the time and he certainly wouldn't have gotten the # of touches per game he's received on a crappy team in Memphis. Like you said, the key phrase is he has the tools and if he were surrounded by lazy asses like T-Mac and Vince Carter, I'd be afraid that their influences might be too great for him to realize the development he has thus far. (It's well-documented that professional athletes' lives and careers can be dictated by who they have around them, both in professional and personal settings - i.e. blowing all their money on "business ventures" with "childhood friends.")

I agree that Bynum has rebounded from injuries very well and a good reason is probably that the Lakers can take their time with him since they've earned the #1 seed in the West both years he's missed significant time. But there's going to be a point where you have to wonder if he's going to make it through a full season before all the mileage on Kobe's legs catches up to him and he can't carry them through stretches with Bynum on the IL.

And Calhoun not only was involved in a recruiting scandal to land Rudy Gay, but reports today also indicate that UConn may have violated further rules more recently, so I don't know why I allowed that assclown to influence my Rudy Gay discussions. I'll give Tyrus Thomas more time to show me something, but as of now, I would not have traded Amare for him and I think Portland has gotten the better end of that deal.

Purple & Gold
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm sure Battier is a very nice person. He definitely seems down to earth. But for Houston it was a dumb trade especially since T-Mac and Yao were already shown to be injury prone. Battier is a role player and a very good one, but he is not the player Gay is especially when your difficulty is to score. The smarter move was to draft him and let him develop but they mistakenly banked on two players not getting injured. A foolish mistake on their part. One I could understand, but two no way. They thought they were much closer than they were. They days of winning a Championship with only two dominant players died after Shaq and Kobe. At least 3 are needed or a solid all around team with no holes. I also think you go by talent and don't worry to much about surrounding influences within the team. If Van Gundy and McGrady are that much of a problem you get rid of them because they are detrimental to the club.

With Bynum the Lakers will let him develop. Kobe will more than likely age well as a player. Dominant centers are hard to find and Bynum certainly has the potential to be one. All is premature anyways since the playoffs are still off and he has time to come back slowly.

RonMexico
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree. I think Bynum is extremely talented and he has the support around him in talented players and coaches. Houston banked on 2 injury-prone players and it hasn't panned out quite that well. However, at least they're probably in the playoffs and I'm stuck rooting for a Suns team that will just break my heart anyway.

Purple & Gold
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
The Lakers have always been a top Franchise because they look short and long term. Houston and Phoenix failed to look long term. Houston with hitting the panic button and trading Gay. Phoenix with being overconfident and selling multiple picks. Just thankful that the Lakers have owners with basketball knowledge like the Buss family.

RonMexico
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Whoa, whoa. The previous Suns' regime (aka Colangelos) always looked long and short term, but it's Sarver that came in and blew it all up, leading to the departure of Bryan to the Raptors and the selling of numerous draft picks that turned into good players (Rondo, Rodriguez, Fernandez, Deng etc). The Suns are the 4th winningest franchise in the NBA by percentage (behind SA, LA, and Boston), so they've been consistently successful since 1968. However, you have every right to rip on Sarver, but don't forget that you should be lucky that the Lakers have owners with enough money (like the Buss family) and a large market franchise with celebrity fans overpaying for Staples Center seats and bandwagon fans across the country who will shell out $80+ for a #8 and then #24 Kobe jersey. Also, fleecing stupid teams like Memphis of Pau Gasol is very advantageous for you.

What I will agree with you on is: Houston - no surprise because Les Alexander is not a smart businessman and lucked into some family money. Suns - current regime cares about the bottom line and not winning. But I was a fan when they felt trading away Marbury and getting only 20+ wins was a great move to grab free agents in the summer of 2004 or when they blew the team up in 1988 and traded two fan favorites (Larry Nance and Mike Sanders) to get Kevin Johnson and the draft picks that turned into Tim Perry and Dan Majerle. Unfortunately, such risks seem few and far between. I just don't like the implication that my Suns have always been a near-sighted team.

Purple & Gold
03-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I was talking about now. Never did I say about the past. Their only crime is being ringless. You just named off 4. I think that more than proves my point.