PDA

View Full Version : TrueHoop: Welcome Back to the Pack, San Antonio

2Cleva
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Welcome Back to the Pack, San Antonio

March 23, 2009 10:58 AM

For most of the Spring, in the West, there have been two teams at the top: The untouchable Lakers, and then the dignified Spurs.

Below those two -- the royalty the NBA's West for as long as anyone can remember -- there has been a roiling scrum of up-starts, pretenders, long-shots, and dreamers.

Usually at this time of the year (most teams have about a dozen games left before the playoffs) the Spurs have their playoff position more or less locked up, and much of their game strategy has to do with resting veterans for the playoffs. After yesterday's classic battle with the Rockets, however, Gregg Popovich's team has lost seven of 13. Tim Duncan is playing with a bad quadriceps, and Manu Ginobili is still recovering from surgery.

And now the Spurs are third in the West. While they're only a half-game out of second, they are also just three-and-a-half-games ahead of not, fourth, not fifth ... but eighth place in the West. It seems impertinent to bring it up, but when a team is injured, and has lost seven out of 13, and has six very losable games coming up (road games at Atlanta on the second night of a back-to-back, at New Orleans, and at Cleveland -- and three home games against hungry Western talents: Portland, Utah, and New Orleans), you have to consider everything.

It's normally no big thing for one team to take a quick half-game lead on another team in the standings. But the Spurs have owned their division, the West, and the whole NBA for so long. This is a new feeling -- that they could be this kind of vulnerable this late in the season. It's possible the Spurs will be back in second in day or two. It's also possible they won't be back for a decade.

Of course, the Spurs aren't the youngest team. Tony Parker is just 26 and a superstar, but Manu Ginobili is 31 and battling injuries, Tim Duncan is a year older -- although big men tend to produce even as their hair thins. Michael Finley is 34, Bruce Bown is 37, Kurt Thomas is 36, Fabricio Oberto is 34, Ime Udoka is 31. Even newcomers whipper-snappers Matt Bonner and Roger Mason are already, at 28, within sniffing distance of an age where athleticism normally declines.

No, I'm not betting against the Spurs, nor am I going to be 798th sportwriter to prematurely predict their demise.

But I am going to say this: The era of crusing gracefully to division titles and homecourt advantage is over for good. Anything the Spurs earn from this point forward they're going to have to rip from the hands of many younger teams that are just as hungry.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-351/Welcome-Back-to-the-Pack--San-Antonio.html

crc21209
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Bad article. Alot of those "big" games are coming up later, rather than sooner. Out of our next six games, only TWO are against winning teams! We got the Warriors, Hawks, Clippers, Hornets, Thunder, and Pacers next.

alchemist
03-23-2009, 12:08 PM
he's a Blazers fan :ihit

Dex
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Pretty sure the regular season goes 82 games each year. :wakeup

1Parker1
03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
But I am going to say this: The era of crusing gracefully to division titles and homecourt advantage is over for good.

I'm not sure the Spurs ever "cruised" to a division title and HCA. They've always played in one of the toughest divisions. Also, it's difficult to cruise in the West these days because there are soooo many good to slightly above average teams.

crc21209
03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs ever "cruised" to a division title and HCA. They've always played in one of the toughest divisions. Also, it's difficult to cruise in the West these days because there are soooo many good to slightly above average teams.

Agreed. The Spurs were a 3 seed last year behind LA and New Orleans...and the Spurs had to fight to keep that 3 seed as well. And the Spurs havent won a division title since 06' so who freakin' cares...we care about the real banners.

FromWayDowntown
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I wonder if today will feature Abbott's post entitled "Congratulations on Re-Distancing Yourself from the Pack, San Antonio."

The Spurs are, at this moment, exactly where they were when they woke up on Sunday.

Holt's Cat
03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Perhaps Waker fan will woll over his boyfriend to get his Mac and post some more awrticles? :jack

SenorSpur
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Simply another writer who feels as though he's "kicking dirt" on the grave of the Spurs. Problem is, they're not dead yet.

Thomas82
03-26-2009, 12:00 PM
+1----You are so right. They wish we were dead already, but we aren't. See last night's performance against los Hawks.

You mean the one WITHOUT Tim Duncan?

Obstructed_View
03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Since the Spurs have been six or more games behind the Lakers for most of the year, and were four and a half games behind them by the third week, I'm not sure how anyone with any credibility can say that the Spurs haven't been in the pack all this time. Why does someone go to the trouble to write something when they have clearly not even been paying attention?

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
No, I'm not betting against the Spurs, nor am I going to be 798th sportwriter to prematurely predict their demise.

But he'l be the 1,111,934th to mention the age factor.

superbigtime
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome BACK? WTF? We were less than a game behind Houston and hold the better division record with them. Jackass

Capt Bringdown
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
But I am going to say this: The era of crusing gracefully to division titles and homecourt advantage is over for good. Anything the Spurs earn from this point forward they're going to have to rip from the hands of many younger teams that are just as hungry.

I wish the Spurs would have realized this a lot sooner. Whatever happens this year, I believe the Spurs will have to adapt to new competitive circumstances - resting on our laurels, regular season cruise mode, SPAM, Methulsa lineups, waiting to turn the switch, etc ain't going to cut it anymore. It remains to be seen if the Spurs can do anything about it, however.

Spursmania
03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Like we need or care about the welcome back parade from this ass munch...LMAO.

superbigtime
03-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I wish the Spurs would have realized this a lot sooner. Whatever happens this year, I believe the Spurs will have to adapt to new competitive circumstances - resting on our laurels, regular season cruise mode, SPAM, Methulsa lineups, waiting to turn the switch, etc ain't going to cut it anymore. It remains to be seen if the Spurs can do anything about it, however.

Yep, just leave the damn switch on.

SenorSpur
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM

+1 x 1,000,000 :tu

Agree with every word.

Pop and RC are going to have to continue to mold the roster and infuse some younger talent into the rotation. The Spurs simply have to find better ways to match up against all the talent, energy and athleticism that is now present in most Western Conference contenders. A more balanced roster, rather than a roster full of "end-of-career" vets and TP as the primary workhorse, is in order.

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
+1 x 1,000,000 :tu

Agree with every word.

Pop and RC are going to have to continue to mold the roster and infuse some younger talent into the rotation. The Spurs simply have to find better ways to match up against all the talent, energy and athleticism that is now present in most Western Conference contenders. A more balanced roster, rather than a roster full of "end-of-career" vets and TP as the primary workhorse, is in order.

Ian, Gist, Hairston, and Hill in the rotation next year should work. Maybe even Javtokas.:p:

JV, Fab, and Hill gone should help even more.

Avitus1
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
LMAO, what a retard.