PDA

View Full Version : Grade that the Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations gave U.S. aviation safety mea

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
"F"

Pilot's Group: Aviation Security Programs Failing (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/03/10/aviation.security/index.html)

An airline pilots group is giving dismal grades to aviation security, saying "gaping holes" remain almost four years after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The group gives failing or near-failing grades to the government and airlines for most aspects of security, from the airport perimeter to the cockpit, concluding that security measures deserve a grade point average of about 1.1.

The best grades go to two areas that have received a lot of attention.

Airport baggage screening received a grade of "B." Cockpit doors also received a "B," although the group noted that strengthened cockpit doors are not mandated in cargo planes of foreign carriers.

The "Aviation Security Report Card" was compiled by the Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations, a trade association of five pilot unions that represent 22,000 pilots. The Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations is smaller, and it has tended to be more critical of government and industry than the Air Line Pilots Association, which represents 64,000 pilots at 41 airlines in the United States and Canada.

-- Now I'm not blaming Bush but I think there is plenty of work that needs be done. I haven't flown in years and I'd fly tomorrow if I had to but this does concern me.

Useruser666
03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I've flown several times after 9/11. I think there is a lot of room for improvement and streamlining. I think we have learned a lot from what happened. I would at least think that people will put up a fight if their plane is being hijacked now a days.

desflood
03-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Ha! I can tell you about security. A couple of years ago I was pregnant and flying cross country alone with my oldest. The cross I was wearing around my neck set off the metal detector, so they made me take off my shoes and my outer shirt. Had to put the boy down to do this, of course, and he takes off running. I got in trouble for going to get him! Guess they'd rather let somebody kidnap my kid than have a threatening pregnant woman on a plane going to Grand Rapids, Michigan.