PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs know what they have to do...

SpursDynasty
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I see so much panicking on this board that it's pathetic. I think if I counted correctly, the Spurs have 9 losses that were decided by 5 or less points, with the majority of those games being decided by a shot or two followed by garbage free throws in late-game must-foul situations. The Spurs are only a couple of bounces away from being 9 more in the win column. That would make us 54-15 (same record as Lakers just about) if all the bounces go our way. This season more than any other season, the bounces aren't going our way in close games....that changes in the playoffs. There are no Roko Ukics or Luther Heads or Nate Robinsons or Kevin Durants (yet at least) in the playoffs to make fluke game winners against the Spurs. And LaMarcus Aldridge scoring 26 on the Spurs? That is NEVER happening in the playoffs. In fact, if the Spurs play the Blazers in the playoffs, if LaMarcus Aldridge scores 26 points I'll leave this forum for life. It ain't happening.

The important thing for the Spurs is that they've played well enough to win the majority of their games this season, with only a couple of flat out losses that were blowouts. I don't know what all the panicking is for.

The Spurs know what they have to do. They know that they need to wake up in the morning, shower, brush their teeth, eat breakfast, have lunch, head to the arena, suit up, warm up, and go out there and just play Spurs Basketball. They also know that it's just a matter of making shots and preventing the other team from making their shots. The defense is there, anyone who says otherwise must be watching the wrong league. The Spurs only allow 92.76 points per game, 2nd lowest allowed in the league. The Spurs only allow 45.1% shooting by their opponents, which is virtually tied to the Lakers' 45.0% allowed shooting....8th in the league in FG% defense.

Again, the Spurs know they have to go out there and make their shots. There shouldn't be any panicking on this board, or threads about trading TP or firing Pop. And especially no getting personal on here. And if the shots don't go in, no big deal, no reason to panic, all it means is that the shots didn't go in.

xtremesteven33
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
:worthy:

Yogurt210
03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Mentally ths Spurs know what to do, but physically....only time will tell.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Spurs can still pull the trigger.

Indazone
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Lets make this a Scola thread too

SenorSpur
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
This expectation that there is some magical "switch" that the Spurs will flip once the playoffs start and all will be well is completely delusional. That idea is reserved for those who see things as they should be, as opposed to how things really are.

The fact of the matter is the team is struggling with Ginobili out and with Duncan less than 100%. Struggling with the some of same issues we saw last year - prolonged offensive droughts and matchup problems with certain teams. That is very evident.

The goal is to gain momentum by playing your best brand of basketball heading into the playoffs. Three weeks left. Let's not pretend that all systems are normal. I agree there is no need to panic, but there is definite cause for some concern.

WalterBenitez
03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Defense is our key, we can't go far with those lack of intensity.

I'll cut Finley's minutes and put Bruce on the court.

Yogurt210
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
This expectation that there is some magical "switch" that the Spurs will flip once the playoffs start and all will be well is completely delusional. That idea is reserved for those who see things as they should be, as opposed to how things really are.

The fact of the matter is the team is struggling with Ginobili out and with Duncan less than 100%. Struggling with the some of same issues we saw last year - prolonged offensive droughts and matchup problems with certain teams. That is very evident.

The goal is to gain momentum by playing your best brand of basketball heading into the playoffs. Three weeks left. Let's not pretend that all systems are normal. I agree there is no need to panic, but there is definite cause for some concern.

Well put, It seems people are starting to make valid points on here and admit our flaws. Good thread day, the truth seems to be getting to people. well atleast some...Change needs to happen

The best part of this season for some reason, was the start of it.
Where TP and Ginobili were out. I loved watching the team form together and build chemistry with a healthy Timmy as our anchor. Hill was great, Mason was lights out, even Finely threw back the hands of time letting the game come to him. They showed urgency, and played hard. But it seemed when TP and Manu came back, there was a lack of trust. Pop would rely on Tony, and everyone would just watch Manu. It just destroyed everything the team worked for.
Now the role players are just mediocre, Mason's not so hot, Bonner is just Bonner lol, Hill is losing confidence, and Finley is just trying to hard.
Pop's experimenting is not helping either.

I miss the old days..when we had established Vets coming off the bench. Kerr, Horry, Ferry, the list goes on.

I can only hope everything falls in place.

:flag:

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
The sun shines today also.

Budkin
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
They just need to shoot some shots, win some games.

Gutter92
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
We are 11-6 in games decided by 4 or less points...you can't win em all...

Rain318
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree
The Spurs at time bring too much attention to their defence and not enuff on their late game execution
True we do give up some easy baskets toward the end of the game but at the same time we should be able to go right back down and score
The third quarters are killing us
These scoring droughts are killing us and has lost us winable games. (toronto, Oklahoma City, Houston, ect.

But no nedd to panic its not like we're in the situation phx is
IM confident that our players will step it up from here to the end. The lost to houston is a wake up call

sonic21
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
SD you're the man :tu

LEONARD
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
The Spurs are only a couple of bounces away from being 9 more in the win column. That would make us 54-15 (same record as Lakers just about) if all the bounces go our way.

But what if the Lakers had gotten all the bounces to go their way too? :hat

tlongII
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
You better hope you don't match up with the Blazers. Otherwise your outta here!

Thomas82
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
But what if the Lakers had gotten all the bounces to go their way too? :hat

They already get more than their share of bounces to go their way.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Getting Gasol disqualifies them from all future bounces for the rest of the decade. Hence the thrasing from Boston last year.

Morg1411
03-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Shut up. Blazers are going to get their assess whooped so bad we'll feel the shockwaves up here in Seattle.

crc21209
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Once again, always always something negative to say. :wakeup

crc21209
03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
The Spurs will be fine. We will be a top-3 seed, and we'll go into the Playoffs just fine. Manu is coming back sometime this week and everything will turn around. TP has been carrying this team so much this yr lately he's just been gassed. But the biggest problem of this Season is slowly but surely getting resolved, the Defense. Remember when everyone was worrying about the Defense? Well now we're right back up there where we usually are...and when Manu gets back if will certainly help the Offense out. It's no secret teams are trying to shut down TP and that is also affecting the shooters. When Manu gets back, that will add another penetrator to draw in the defense and kick out to some wide open 3 pt shooters (Mase, Fin, Bonner, etc..) The Spurs will slowly get things rolling, but of course like always...no one will notice. Everyone will talk about the Lakers, the Celtics, the Cavs come Day 1 of the Playoffs..and slowly the Spurs will win game after game like they do every year. There will be times where we get worried, upset, frustrated, but that's the story of every Season. The Spurs step it up every year when they are supposed to. Surely everyone remembers the roller-coaster of Game 1 against the Suns last yr, with TD hitting the big 3 that propelled the team to a win. I believe in this team...and I always will. As long as we have Timmy, this team can achieve anything. He and this team are too smart, have too much heart, have too much pride to go down without a fight. So come on everyone, get with me behind this team and start getting ready for the stretch run NOW. Let's go for 5! :lobt2: :flag:

Spurs 4 The Win
Portland would not stand a chance in hell against the Spurs. That would be a five game dismantling. Just cuz you got lucky against us once while we were missing players and you made every shot does'nt mean crap. You guys suck, go away.:flag:

LEONARD
They already get more than their share of bounces to go their way.

Is there an official stat for that? :lol

JWest596
03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
SD you're the man :tu

Yes you are.

poop
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
SD is actually a good poster, far better than half the assholes who give him shit.

TheProfessor
03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
:sleep

Leave it to SD to be the voice of sanity. I enjoy how he subtly adjusts his trolling persona and makes a decent post when he feels like it.

Keepin' it real
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not panicking, but I am concerned. Contrary to what you said (bounces not going our way in close games this season), the Spurs have been very lucky on the court, winning close games by almost a 2-1 margin. In spite of that good fortune, the Spurs are fading fast, resembling a middle-of-the-pack team. Given the past decade of dominance, it's easy to see why some fans are panicking.

Manu-of-steel
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
i agree. the spurs, i mean, pop knows what to do. we can not really fathom what pop is thinking. pop likes ime even when it seemed to us udoka sucks. now, ime is playing well. those who criticized pop for that are silent. bruce is relegated to the bench. some say because he lost a step; others say it's because he sucks on offense. seeing bruce play for the past games, we know he's still a topnotch defensive player. why is pop not giving him more minutes? pop is not into winning all the regular season games. my guess is that duncan, parker, et al knows what's more important is to win games when they count most-the post season.

DeadlyDynasty
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
:sleep

Leave it to SD to be the voice of sanity. I enjoy how he subtly adjusts his trolling persona and makes a decent post when he feels like it.

yes, almost as if he goes from retarded to semi-retarded

Agloco
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
yes, almost as if he goes from retarded to semi-retarded

:lol

Yuixafun
03-24-2009, 12:09 AM
i agree. the spurs, i mean, pop knows what to do. we can not really fathom what pop is thinking. pop likes ime even when it seemed to us udoka sucks. now, ime is playing well. those who criticized pop for that are silent. bruce is relegated to the bench. some say because he lost a step; others say it's because he sucks on offense. seeing bruce play for the past games, we know he's still a topnotch defensive player. why is pop not giving him more minutes? pop is not into winning all the regular season games. my guess is that duncan, parker, et al knows what's more important is to win games when they count most-the post season.

It does feel like Pop trots out Bowen just to keep him sharp. Bowen will be freed soon and fresh.