PDA

View Full Version : Rice rules out run.

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Rice rules out run (http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/14/rice.politics.ap/index.html)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sunday ruled out running for president, responding to speculation fueled by a recent poll showing support for a Rice candidacy.

Rice told The Washington Times last week, "I have never wanted to run for anything," although she seemed to leave the door open to the possibility.

She closed the door in appearances on Sunday talk shows, telling NBC's "Meet the Press," "I will not run for president of the United States."

"I won't run," she told ABC's "This Week." "I won't. How's that? Is that categorical enough?"

In a poll conducted in February, 42 percent of voters said Rice should run for the White House.

The survey, conducted by the Siena College Research Institute and sponsored by Hearst Newspapers, found that 81 percent of people would vote for a woman for president; 53 percent thought Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, should try for the job.

-- Well now that the other possible GOP candidates have sighed with relief who will come out as the front runner?

I know it is early but I hope Senator McCain makes another run at it.

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/7/17965317_F_tn.jpg

Extra Stout
03-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Huckabee. Bank on it.

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Who? The Governor from Arkansas?

He's not even in the top 20 list is he?

I think Giuliani, McCain, Sen. Bill Frist, Sen. Rick Santorum and Gov. Bill Owens will come out the earliest with their presidential posturing.

desflood
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, there goes the conservatives' chance to beat Hillary... :lol

Extra Stout
03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Who? The Governor from Arkansas?

He's not even in the top 20 list is he?

I think Giuliani, McCain, Sen. Bill Frist, Sen. Rick Santorum and Gov. Bill Owens will come out the earliest with their presidential posturing.
I may have misunderstood what you were asking.

If you meant "frontrunner" as the person with the best chance actually of getting the nomination, then yes, I think Huckabee. The guy who wins the nomination (when there is no incumbent) is almost never the guy people are thinking about three and a half years beforehand.

I'm probably wrong because this sort of thing is always a crapshoot, except that the early frontrunner almost never wins a wide-open race.

Huckabee's biggest hurdle would be convincing Republicans to vote for an Arkansas governor from Hope. :lol

Now, if you meant the person who the media is going to focus on, but who probably is not a viable contender, then Giuliani.

Giuliani is from New York. There's a lot of media in New York. Therefore, he will get the buzz. But he has no chance at all -- he's not sufficiently conservative to win primaries other than in deep-blue states. I don't believe a pro-choice Republican has any prayer at the nomination any more than a pro-life Democrat would, unless it were some galactically popular star like Schwarzenegger (who will never get the Amendment he needs to run).

McCain will be 72 years old in 2008. He claims his age is not an issue, but seriously, are people going to vote for a guy who would be 80 by the end of a second term?

Frist will quit the Senate in '07 to focus on his Presidential run. He has a lot of the drawbacks common to Senators -- the wooden demeanor, the long voting record for opponents to scour, the overemphasis on process, etc. Of the folks you listed, I think he has the best chance.

I think Santorum is going to focus upon becoming majority whip rather than running for President.

Owens' star has burned out. Between his marital problems (he'll likely get divorced) and the GOP's legislative collapse in Colorado, his campaign is over before it ever began. He'll probably leave the political arena once his term is up.

Other guys:

George Allen -- good conservative, but has a quick temper like Howard Dean and some huge skeletons in his closet.

Chuck Hagel -- maverick like McCain; if foreign policy issues are still at the forefront of voters' minds in '08, he's got a great chance

Lindsey Graham -- see Edwards, John.

Mitt Romney -- anti-Mormon bigotry would thwart his run.

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Good answer.

Besides Hillary I think Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh is a good possibility for the democrats. He is everything that Hillary is not.

Then of course there is John Edwards who is one of the most charismatic of any potential Democrat.

Al Gore, some think that he has grown the past five years. ??

My man John Kerry. Every indication is that Kerry will run again in 2008. But hey, even Nixon sat out an election before making his come back so who knows.

Senator Joe Biden? Biden is gathering the troops already. Ok, I admit I plagerized that comment from another web site. Sorry. :)

And one of my favorites, although his time will come, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

I still think Condi is not out of the picture yet. We'll have to wait and see what Karl Rove thinks.

Extra Stout
03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
The trick with a Condi candidacy is that it would be difficult to predict the right electoral strategy. She would get a lot of votes the Republicans usually don't get, but also would lose a fairly large part of the base. Instead of focusing all their funds on a handful of swing states, the Republicans would have to run a 50-state campaign.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Seeing the bumper sticker sig, Hilary's going to be in Austin next week for a fund-raiser.

NeoConIV
03-14-2005, 04:48 PM
She would get a lot of votes the Republicans usually don't get, but also would lose a fairly large part of the base.
Totally disagree here. It's members of the base that are trying to draft her.

But like Joe and many other pundits I saw on the tube, her words are meaningless this early in the game (no disrespect Dr. Rice :angel ). They ALL say they don't have any presidential ambitions this early in the game. Who wants to give the media 3+ years to go digging in every nook and cranny of your personal life?

Personally I think as busy as she has been the last few months, she really hasn't had much time to give it serious consideration. I think over time, the Condistas, and much more importantly, her family, are going to chip away at her. I can imagine her family even being a little incredulous at her passing up this unprecedented and historic opportunity. And, she has to realize that if she runs, she will be by no means a longshot, quite the contrary, she will be favored to win. Think about it, if you had to the opportunity to put your own your race and gender into the highest office in the land for the first time in American history, and be the odds on favorite...

She is going to realize the magnitude of this in due course. Hear me now, believe me later.

exstatic
03-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I sort of agree with NeoCon. There is no benefit to tipping her hand this early. Frankly, if she's going into politics, she has to learn how to lie, anyway. Think of this as good practice.

NeoConIV
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM
The one thing that worries me though, is that she just may not have it in her to go to battle against the opposition in congress for 4 years. That is truly tough work, no matter which party you belong to. But Condi is ambitious. She has to know that she will fade off into obscurity if she doesn't go for it now. I don't know how she will take to that. I guess she could lobby hard to keep her Secretary of State job, but I don't know. This is the chance of a lifetime and I don't think she wants to spend the rest of her life saying coulda, shoulda, woulda....

I respect her decision if she indeed does pass up on this, but the fact remains that this IS the opportunity of a lifetime.

ididnotnothat
03-14-2005, 05:23 PM

But like Joe and many other pundits I saw on the tube, her words are meaningless this early in the game (no disrespect Dr. Rice :angel ). They ALL say they don't have any presidential ambitions this early in the game. Who wants to give the media 3+ years to go digging in every nook and cranny of your personal life?

Personally I think as busy as she has been the last few months, she really hasn't had much time to give it serious consideration. I think over time, the Condistas, and much more importantly, her family, are going to chip away at her. I can imagine her family even being a little incredulous at her passing up this unprecedented and historic opportunity. And, she has to realize that if she runs, she will be by no means a longshot, quite the contrary, she will be favored to win. Think about it, if you had to the opportunity to put your own your race and gender into the highest office in the land for the first time in American history, and be the odds on favorite...

She is going to realize the magnitude of this in due course. Hear me now, believe me later.

So what are you saying? That she may flip-flop and change her mind!?

NeoConIV
03-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Flip flopping on Russert?!?!?

The horror!!!!

Who would betray Timmy like that?!

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Well, Neo, there you go again.

I made this thread to discuss the topic..not as a "pundit".

Of course it is early but I don't really see her running.....yet. She'll be a much stronger candidate in the near future.

And if she has nothing to hide, why worry about the 3+ years of everyone digging in every nook and cranny of her personal life?

I think she is one smart and strong woman and I'd vote for her if I thought she was the right person for the job.

NeoConIV
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
And if she has nothing to hide, why worry about the 3+ years of everyone digging in every nook and cranny of her personal life?

Whether one has something to hide or not, 2+ years of media scrutiny is always better than 3+ years. Basic math Joe! :lol

JoeChalupa
03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
You are correct sir!! It would add up to quite a bit of scrutiny.
But somehow...I just don't see Condi having any skeletons in her closet...or any color other than grey, black or brown. :)

MannyIsGod
03-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Hilary has no chance in hell. I don't understand why people keep throwing that name out there.

No Chance In Hell.

desflood
03-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I talked to many people who also thought good ol' W didn't have a chance either.

JohnnyMarzetti
03-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Hilary has no chance in hell. I don't understand why people keep throwing that name out there.

No Chance In Hell.

She has a very good chance. Now a libertarian candidate has NO WAY in hell of winning.

Nbadan
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Fucken NeoCons and NeoLibs would love a Hillary vs Condi battle in 08. They would win in either scenario.

I tell ya what, there's gonna be a showdown between the DLC and the DNC before the 06 mid-term elections and all these turncoat democrats who voted for the Republican sponsored bankruptcy bill, immoral piece of shit bill, and those that support the NeoCon's continued crusade of the Middle East - that's you Hillary, Liebermann - are gonna be toast.

Hillary should run - as a Republican.

Hook Dem
03-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Fucken NeoCons and NeoLibs would love a Hillary vs Condi battle in 08. They would win in either scenario.

I tell ya what, there's gonna be a showdown between the DLC and the DNC before the 06 mid-term elections and all these turncoat democrats who voted for the Republican sponsored bankruptcy bill, immoral piece of shit bill, and those that support the NeoCon's continued crusade of the Middle East - that's you Hillary, Liebermann - are gonna be toast.

Hillary should run - as a Republican.
Thats gotta be the funniest thing I've ever seen you post Dan! http://tinypic.com/285eg4

MannyIsGod
03-15-2005, 12:35 AM
She has a very good chance. Now a libertarian candidate has NO WAY in hell of winning.

Of course not Johnny. People like you and your counterparts on the other side of the aisle would much rather tell everyone else what they can, and must do rather than let them make their own decisions. And the sheep that are this countries uninformed people are more than willing to let them.

Nbadan
03-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Fucken fundamentalist Rethugs were having major spasms the other day cause Condi came out of the Pro-abortion choice closet. No way in hell she runs.

NeoConIV
03-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Fucken fundamentalist Rethugs were having major spasms the other day cause Condi came out of the Pro-abortion choice closet. No way in hell she runs.
#1 Can you like, simmer down? You used to be slightly more mild mannered. You're just like a rabid animal now. I picture you with foam around your mouth, wild eyes, and disheveled clothing and hair..."Fucken neocon rethug bastard A holes!! Destroying the world in their satanic wicked ways, Satan spawn Cheney blah blah...." Dude...Chilllllllll

#2 Can I quote you on the fact that she won't run? :)

Extra Stout
03-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Totally disagree here. It's members of the base that are trying to draft her. I can see the neocon base rooting her on, as well as the Reagan-type conservatives. I can see a lot of urban and suburban Republicans rooting her on. I see a lot of swing voters and moderates that would jump at the chance to vote for her. She might pull 25% of the black vote. She would get some people that have never voted Republican in their lives.

But, her pro-choice stance is going to drive away the litmus-test religious conservatives, and the Neanderthal-type voters will just stay home rather than vote for a black woman.

She would be a bold and historic choice, but also very risky. Then again, that seems to be the M.O. of the neoconservative movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMarzetti

Of course not Johnny. People like you and your counterparts on the other side of the aisle would much rather tell everyone else what they can, and must do rather than let them make their own decisions. And the sheep that are this countries uninformed people are more than willing to let them.Manny a Libertarian? Who woulda thunk he'd be aligned with the late great Yonivore? Politics indeed make strange bedfellows.

Hillary should run - as a Republican.Poor Democrats. As long as these loonie shit-for-brains denounce anybody to the right of Che Guevara, the Repubs will have power all to themselves at the national level.

MannyIsGod
03-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm not a complete libertarian and I've wandered quite a bit form that end of the spectrum as of late. In fact, economicly, I'm not much of a libertarian at all anymore. But otherwise I am.

Nbadan
03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Poor Democrats. As long as these loonie shit-for-brains denounce anybody to the right of Che Guevara, the Repubs will have power all to themselves at the national level.

Don't blame Democrats, as long as the apathetic sheeple keep voting for candidates that work against their best interests (i.e. bankruptcy bill) and resist honest voter reform (see: Conyers hearings), the Democrats have very little chance at the national level anyway.

JoeChalupa
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I agree. Several democrats tried to stop the loopholes on the new bankrupcy bill but were shot down by republicans. Shows who is looking out for the middle class.

Duff McCartney
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
She was doomed from the beginning....she's a woman...and she's black. No way she'd ever win in this day and age.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Like I said, I'd vote for Condi if I thought she was the right person for the job. Her career is very impressive indeed and I think America is more ready than you think to elect a woman to the White House. I know I am.

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/2/16473572_F_tn.jpg

NeoConIV
03-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Joe, I know your democratic pride is deep, but you're flirting hard brother!

Look at that sig!!! Damn, where's my camera?!?!

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Flirting with disaster? :)

NeoConIV
03-16-2005, 10:44 AM
RUN CONDI RUN!!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050316/capt.sge.tkg05.160305142938.photo00.photo.default-384x262.jpg

NeoConIV
03-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Would you be "Rice Democrat"? :)

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 11:17 AM
More like..."brown on rice".

Experiment2100
03-16-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't think I'd vote for her, she ran with a rough crowd.

http://home.comcast.net/~knicksmsg33/gdubs.JPG

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 12:30 PM
:lol

NeoConIV
03-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Condi is running for President
March 15th, 2005

Let me make this clear. Condi is running for President.

Mr. Longshanks, did you pay attention to the Sunday Shows where she said that she is NOT running for president?

Yes, I did. And I saw a very skillful diplomat do exactly what she needed to do in order to become president.

There are many stages to an election. During Hillary’s run for the New York Senate she first had friends whisper that she was interested. Then she denied that she was interested. Then she went on a “listening” tour to find out if New Yorkers “wanted” her to run. Then she allowed herself to be drafted.

Condi is being less coy. She did not start the speculation. This blog, and the related blogs linked at Americans for Rice are not and were not started by friends of Condi. Nor were we started by friends of friends of Condi. We began because Condi’s qualifications for the office are self-evident.

But the political professionals are paying attention. I believe (on public information only, I have NO inside sources) that they have advised Condi how to get elected.

Here is her path to the presidency:

* Impress people with her competency as Sec. of State
* Become an Oprah-like celebrity (clothes anyone?)
* Do NOT appear ambitious (I want to be a good Secretary of State)
* Allow her competency to declare itself ( read my News Stories category)
* Finally give in to the draft movement after the ‘06 elections

What proof do I have of this? I have one statement in this mornings Washington Times Article: Playing Ping-pong with Condi Rice

Naturally a conversation with Condi turns to whether she feels up to saving the republic from Hillary. She clearly expected the question — indeed, one of her flacks urged us, sotto voce, not to forget to ask

That “flak” clearly expects to be in the White House in four years.

I have a second reason for believing Condi will run: Karen Hughes. Karen Hughes is one of the most competent campaign press managers ever born. She is now working for Condi in the State Department.

Please don’t try to tell me that Karen Hughes is an expert in foreign policy.

The way to find out a politician’s intentions is to watch, not the politician, but his or her aides. Condi’s aides are already measuring the offices in the West Wing.

http://www.edlongshanks.com/condilezza/

attyjackiechiles
03-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Mmmmm..I gonna have to get her digits.

I wouldn't mind being "the first man".

That position would allow me to read to kids, cut ribbons, decorate the Christmas Trees and bring a man's touch back to the White House.

NeoConIV
03-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Mmmmm..I gonna have to get her digits.

I wouldn't mind being "the first man".

That position would allow me to read to kids, cut ribbons, decorate the Christmas Trees and bring a man's touch back to the White House.
Get her digits... :lol

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Good news! Condi will be running in the future - from the International Crimal Court at the Hague.

Does anyone really think that the Corporations and fat-cats backing the G.O.P. monolyth are gonna run with a candidate who has never been elected to office?

Nuff said. :hat