PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Obama is great thread

LnGrrrR
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
OMGZ! Did you see that the Dow is up nearly 500 pts! It must be Obama's policies that are driving this! Heck, it probably wasn't even his policies. He probably just opened his mouth and investment bankers swooned!

I figure if the alternate world reverse version of this post is ok, then this one should be too. :)

Viva Las Espuelas
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
well this is pretty much the Obama is great forum so this thread is pretty pointless. and yes, i know. "We" lost.

coyotes_geek
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Obama's policies are driving this. He just promised to make the bank's bad debts the taxpayers' obligation. That's great news for anyone investing in banks.

RandomGuy
03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
well this is pretty much the Obama is great forum so this thread is pretty pointless. and yes, i know. "We" lost.

Please provide one concrete example of any Obama supporter cooing all lovy dovy over what the guy is doing.

:rolleyes

The general gist of it is "He is doing OK, and I don't fully like everything he is doing".

What a contrast to the Republican drones who spent 8 years blaming Clinton for everything wrong, and still do.

(snorts)
Obama is great forum, my ass.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Obama's policies are driving this. He just promised to make the bank's bad debts the taxpayers' obligation. That's great news for anyone investing in banks.Maybe. I think this plan gives the edge to insolvent megabanks, instead of well run small and medium sized banks. We'll see. Maybe the deal's too sweet for any bank to resist.

coyotes_geek
03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe. I think this plan gives the edge to insolvent megabanks, instead of well run small and medium sized banks. We'll see. Maybe the deal's too sweet for any bank to resist.

I dunno. IMO, I think the well run banks who are on stable footing would prefer to just keep to their own and not put themselves in business with Uncle Sam. Because as we've seen with AIG once you take money from Uncle Sam then Congress suddenly feels entitled to dictate to you how to run your business. And even if you're a competent banking executive who has protected his shareholders you're still a "bad guy" to congress because you make a lot of money. The insolvent banks won't have a choice though.

All that however is separate from investors and the stock market run-up today. All they care about is the good news that pushes stock prices up. I suspect this will all be short lived though and they'll be looking to dump the banking stocks in the near future to take a quick profit.

Winehole23
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
All that however is separate from investors and the stock market run-up today. All they care about is the good news that pushes stock prices up.I suspect this will all be short lived though and they'll be looking to dump the banking stocks in the near future to take a quick profit.They'd better. I doubt we just bottomed out.

AntiChrist
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I need to start telling more retard jokes.

AntiChrist
03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
It's because people have so much confidence in my "main man", Tim Geithner.

LockBeard
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
He's so dreammmmmmyy.

Government is the answer to all of our problems and the cause to none. God Bless him and the United States of America.

Agitator
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
There is nothing more pathatetic that people get a stick up their ass when their side loses and run around claiming OMGZ ITZ DA END OF THE WORLD! and then blaming every god damn thing bad on the other side while never admitting their side did something stupid/bad.

Fuck you would think the last eight years would have taught us THAT.

I read through some of the threds here and at least some of the Obama people seemt o admit their guy makes mistakes. I never saw that with anybody who I knew who said they voted for Bush.

Im not saying that if you are an Obama supporter you are beautiful and never drink the party coolaid, but fuck there seems to be a huge lack fo common sense in a lot of the republican party these days. They spew all sorts of crap and think everybody thinks like they do or there not American. No wonder these assmonkeys lost the last coupel of elections.

If I actualy voted, I can't say I would ever put a check behind anybody with a "R", unless they were running against some Libertarian fag. Those guys are even scarier.

johnsmith
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
There is nothing more pathatetic that people get a stick up their ass when their side loses and run around claiming OMGZ ITZ DA END OF THE WORLD! and then blaming every god damn thing bad on the other side while never admitting their side did something stupid/bad.

Fuck you would think the last eight years would have taught us THAT.

I read through some of the threds here and at least some of the Obama people seemt o admit their guy makes mistakes. I never saw that with anybody who I knew who said they voted for Bush.

Im not saying that if you are an Obama supporter you are beautiful and never drink the party coolaid, but fuck there seems to be a huge lack fo common sense in a lot of the republican party these days. They spew all sorts of crap and think everybody thinks like they do or there not American. No wonder these assmonkeys lost the last coupel of elections.

If I actualy voted, I can't say I would ever put a check behind anybody with a "R", unless they were running against some Libertarian fag. Those guys are even scarier.

It's good to make your voting decisions based off what you have read on a website dedicated to an NBA team. That makes you very informed.

By the way, I voted for Bush twice and constantly recognized the stupid things he did..............but I guess you only read what you want to read...........sort of like selective hearing, but not really.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, I've seen worse....

xrayzebra
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, I've seen worse....

Really?

I take it you are talking about the Dow, it is down 63 points at this time.

Guess Obama's plan did stick. Could it be the market was reacting
to housing sales?

Nawh, that is the private sector doing it's thing and we know government is the only one with answers......

You know like:

"The president's budget doubles the national debt in five years and triples it in 10. His budget will create more gross debt in 10 years than the country accumulated in the 220 years spanning George Washington's first day in office to George W. Bush's last day. To finance this debt, it borrows more money from China and other foreign nations, which threatens our financial security."

http://www.wmicentral.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2264&dept_id=581907&newsid=20285376&PAG=461&rfi=9

:toast

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I take it you are talking about the Dow, it is down 63 points at this time.So you blamed Bush when it went down last year too, right?

Guess Obama's plan did stick. Could it be the market was reacting
to housing sales?Guess you are talking out of your ass again.

Nawh, that is the private sector doing it's thing and we know government is the only one with answers......Is this seriously your analysis of the stock market?

You know like:

"The president's budget doubles the national debt in five years and triples it in 10. His budget will create more gross debt in 10 years than the country accumulated in the 220 years spanning George Washington's first day in office to George W. Bush's last day. To finance this debt, it borrows more money from China and other foreign nations, which threatens our financial security."

http://www.wmicentral.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2264&dept_id=581907&newsid=20285376&PAG=461&rfi=9

:toastHad you given a shit about the deficits and debt when Republicans were in charge, you might have a point. You didn't so you don't.

:toast

xrayzebra
03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Ahhh, Chump. You haven't changed a bit. Dumb as always and same dumb
answers. Damn, maybe I stay away too long. You need a lot educating.

Just hang with me, I'll teach you something. I know it will be hard for you, but
you can learn something if you are patient and read it one word at a time.

Feel free to ask questions.:p:

ChumpDumper
03-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Ahhh, Chump. You haven't changed a bit. Dumb as always and same dumb
answers. Damn, maybe I stay away too long. You need a lot educating.

Just hang with me, I'll teach you something. I know it will be hard for you, but
you can learn something if you are patient and read it one word at a time.

Feel free to ask questions.:p:Why didn't you bitch about Bush's deficit spending?

Or Reagan's?

Because you're a fraud and your indignation about debt is purely partisan.

You haven't changed a bit. Stupid partisan hypocritical hack.

Obama's gonna get you!

Boo!

clambake
03-24-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah chump, you need a lot educating.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
its pretty shit when ur country can only provide us with 2 shit nominees to elect as president.....this shit happens everywhere....

Agitator
03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
It's good to make your voting decisions based off what you have read on a website dedicated to an NBA team. That makes you very informed.

By the way, I voted for Bush twice and constantly recognized the stupid things he did..............but I guess you only read what you want to read...........sort of like selective hearing, but not really.

Whatever, dipshit. :rolleyes

I didn't sya that I got all my information from this forum. Fuck that.

Did you ever really call bush out for his dumassery?

or did you just drink the coolaid and pretend that everythign was the Democrats' fault, and never criticised the guy?

Big difference between not liking what Bush was doign, and having the balls to stand up to your own party. I just don't see that with the Republicans as much as with the democrats.

I bet you still blame our failtures in the war on terrorism, whatever the fuck taht is, on Clinton.

Agitator
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
its pretty shit when ur country can only provide us with 2 shit nominees to elect as president.....this shit happens everywhere....

Let me know when australians get to vote in the US and we''ll get right on changing that. :toast

AntiChrist
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Damn straight I'm great.

johnsmith
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Whatever, dipshit. :rolleyes

That will teach me.

I didn't sya that I got all my information from this forum.

Your argument was based on what you read on this forum........you did say that.

Fuck that.

Good point.

Did you ever really call bush out for his dumassery?

Yes...........and just because the "b" is silent in "dumbass" doesn't mean you get to leave it out of the word all together.............irony sucks doesn't it?

or did you just drink the coolaid and pretend that everythign was the Democrats' fault, and never criticised the guy?

No, I didn't pretend that, but some of it is and some of it isn't. You wouldn't know though because you only read what you want to read.

Big difference between not liking what Bush was doign, and having the balls to stand up to your own party. I just don't see that with the Republicans as much as with the democrats.

So are you standing up to the republican party now? By posting on this website? What are you doing to make your voice heard? Wait, you're doing nothing, in fact, you don't even vote.

I bet you still blame our failtures in the war on terrorism, whatever the fuck taht is, on Clinton.

I don't even think we are "failing" in this war, we just aren't going about it the right way. Our objectives have been met in the war except for getting Osama (and I'll be the first to admit, that's a pretty big one), plus I think the guy is probably dead already.

But you go on with your shitty spelling and lame rants, they are really helping America move in the right direction.........well, maybe not America, but the people on this board...........well, maybe not the people on this board, but it may be helping you sleep at night.

johnsmith
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM

That's a lot of shit.

RandomGuy
03-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't even think we are "failing" in this war, we just aren't going about it the right way. Our objectives have been met in the war except for getting Osama (and I'll be the first to admit, that's a pretty big one), plus I think the guy is probably dead already.

??
At the risk of interrupting someone elses' catfight I read this and wondered:

What *would* be the right way to go about it?

Please tell me that you don't think we can kill our way out of this somehow.

johnsmith
03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
??
At the risk of interrupting someone elses' catfight I read this and wondered:

What *would* be the right way to go about it?

Please tell me that you don't think we can kill our way out of this somehow.

I guess I didn't explain myself real well. The war in the first place wasn't a good idea. I'm all for getting rid of Saddam but we went about that in the wrong way in that we should have been worrying about Iraq's citizens and their perception of the United States.

You like to throw around the "hearts and mind" stuff and as much as I hate that phrase, it should have applied before we went in, and hopefully it's applied now because that's the only way we "win".

Bukefal
03-25-2009, 08:59 AM
A pyrrus victory that is

johnsmith
03-25-2009, 09:05 AM
How do you figure?

RandomGuy
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I guess I didn't explain myself real well. The war in the first place wasn't a good idea. I'm all for getting rid of Saddam but we went about that in the wrong way in that we should have been worrying about Iraq's citizens and their perception of the United States.

You like to throw around the "hearts and mind" stuff and as much as I hate that phrase, it should have applied before we went in, and hopefully it's applied now because that's the only way we "win".

:wow

There is some hope yet.

Keep in mind that our "war on terror" is waaay broader than Iraq.

Honestly, I tend to think of the whole thing as being something of a Low Level Conflict on a global scale. The tactics/strategies involved that won the surge are the same ones that need to be applied globally.

Our real struggle with al Qaeda is one of ideas more than killing or weapons. Killing some of the murderous fucks in Al Qaeda while necessary, is not sufficient to defeat them. Just as killing some insurgents was necessary in Iraq, but not sufficient.

We are fighting the idea that we are evil and "out to get" Islam. This is the core ideology of Al Qaeda.

To defeat this ideology, we MUST do things that combat the idea that we are evil.

This would include a whole range of things that a lot of people in the US will not like, such as increased foreign direct aid.

We need to get out into the muslim world, and build schools, medical clinics, and do a host of other similar things that are as closely associated as possible with either the US government or our people directly, such as giving money to certain charities or similar.

It is waay more complicated than this, of course, but that is a beginning.

mogrovejo
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Bush's 'folly' is ending in victory (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/03/25/bushs_folly_is_ending_in_victory/)

By Jeff Jacoby (http://search.boston.com/local/Search.do?s.sm.query=Jeff+Jacoby&camp=localsearch:on:byline:art) Globe Columnist / March 25, 2009

'MARKETS without bombs. Hummers without guns. Ice cream after dark. Busy streets without fear." So began Terry McCarthy's report from Iraq (http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100007216&docId=l:941372115&start=25) for ABC's World News Sunday on March 15, one of a series the network aired last week as the war in Iraq reached its sixth anniversary.

A nationwide poll (http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/story?id=7058272&page=1) of Iraqis reveals that "60 percent expect things to get better next year - almost three times as many as a year and a half ago," McCarthy continued. "Iraqis are slowly discovering they have a future. We flew south to Basra, where 94 percent say their lives are going well. Oil is plentiful here. So is money."

In another report two nights later, ABC's correspondent characterized the Iraqi capital as "a city reborn: speed, light, style - this is Baghdad today. Where car bombs have given way to car racing. Where a once-looted museum has been restored and reopened (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7905000.stm). And where young women who were forced to cover their heads can again wear the clothes that they like."

One such young woman is dental student Hiba al-Jassin, who fled Baghdad's horrific violence two years ago, but found the city transformed when she returned last fall. "I'm just optimistic," she told McCarthy. "I think we are on the right path."

ABC wasn't alone in conveying the latest glad tidings from Iraq.

"Iraq combat deaths at 6-year low (http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20090318/1airaqcasualties18_st.art.htm)," USA Today reported on its front page last Wednesday. The story noted that in the first two months of 2009, 15 US soldiers were killed in action - one-fourth the number killed in the same period a year ago, and one-tenth the 2007 toll. The reduction in deaths reflects the reduction in violence, which has plummeted by 90 percent since former President Bush ordered General David Petraeus to implement a new counterinsurgency strategy - the "surge" - in early 2007.

Even in northern Iraq, where al-Qaeda is still active, attacks are down by 70 percent.
In the wake of improved security have come political reconciliation and compromise. Iraq's democratic government continues to mature, with ethnic and religious loyalties beginning to yield to broader political concerns.

The Washington Post reports that the country's foremost Shiite politician, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, has formed an alliance (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/19/AR2009031902885.html) with Saleh al-Mutlak, an outspoken Sunni leader. It is a development that suggests "the emergence of a new axis of power in Iraq centered on a strong central government and nationalism" - a dramatic change from the sectarian passions that fueled so much bloody agony in 2006 and 2007. In the recent provincial elections, writes the Post's Anthony Shadid, Maliki's party (http://www.islamicdawaparty.com/) won major gains, with the prime minister "forgoing the slogans of his Islamist past for a platform of law and order." Despite his erstwhile reputation as a Shiite hard-liner, Maliki now echoes Mutlak's call for burying the hatchet with supporters of Saddam Hussein's overwhelmingly Sunni Baath Party.

Those elections were yet another blow to the conviction that constitutional democracy and Arab culture are incompatible. For the 440 seats to be filled, more than 14,000 candidates and some 400 political parties contended - a level of democratic competition that leaves American elections in the dust. A Jeffersonian republic of yeoman smallholders Iraq will never be. But over the past six years it has been transformed from one of the most brutal tyrannies on earth to an example of democratic pluralism in the heart of the Arab world.

For a long time the foes of both the Iraq war and the president who launched it insisted that none of this was possible - that the war was lost (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18227928), that there was no military solution (http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr.asp?NewsID=14776&Cr=iraq&Cr1=) to the sectarian slaughter, that the surge would only make the violence worse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_igpyewuzQ&feature=related). Victory was not an option (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/09/AR2007020901917_pf.html), the critics declared; the only option was to partition Iraq and get out (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article722812.ece). Time and again it was said that the war would forever be remembered as Bush's folly (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200507u/pp2005-07-20), if not indeed as the worst foreign policy mistake in US history (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/18/reid.iraq/index.html).

Even now, with a stubbornness born of partisan hostility or political ideology, there are those who cannot bring themselves to utter the words "victory" and "Iraq" in the same sentence. But six years after the war began, it is ending in victory. As in every war, the price of that victory was higher than we would have wished. The price of defeat would have been far higher.

LnGrrrR
03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Bush's 'folly' is ending in victory (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/03/25/bushs_folly_is_ending_in_victory/)

By Jeff Jacoby (http://search.boston.com/local/Search.do?s.sm.query=Jeff+Jacoby&camp=localsearch:on:byline:art) Globe Columnist / March 25, 2009

'MARKETS without bombs. Hummers without guns. Ice cream after dark. Busy streets without fear." So began Terry McCarthy's report from Iraq (http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100007216&docId=l:941372115&start=25) for ABC's World News Sunday on March 15, one of a series the network aired last week as the war in Iraq reached its sixth anniversary.

A nationwide poll (http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/story?id=7058272&page=1) of Iraqis reveals that "60 percent expect things to get better next year - almost three times as many as a year and a half ago," McCarthy continued. "Iraqis are slowly discovering they have a future. We flew south to Basra, where 94 percent say their lives are going well. Oil is plentiful here. So is money."

In another report two nights later, ABC's correspondent characterized the Iraqi capital as "a city reborn: speed, light, style - this is Baghdad today. Where car bombs have given way to car racing. Where a once-looted museum has been restored and reopened (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7905000.stm). And where young women who were forced to cover their heads can again wear the clothes that they like."

One such young woman is dental student Hiba al-Jassin, who fled Baghdad's horrific violence two years ago, but found the city transformed when she returned last fall. "I'm just optimistic," she told McCarthy. "I think we are on the right path."

ABC wasn't alone in conveying the latest glad tidings from Iraq.

"Iraq combat deaths at 6-year low (http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20090318/1airaqcasualties18_st.art.htm)," USA Today reported on its front page last Wednesday. The story noted that in the first two months of 2009, 15 US soldiers were killed in action - one-fourth the number killed in the same period a year ago, and one-tenth the 2007 toll. The reduction in deaths reflects the reduction in violence, which has plummeted by 90 percent since former President Bush ordered General David Petraeus to implement a new counterinsurgency strategy - the "surge" - in early 2007.

Even in northern Iraq, where al-Qaeda is still active, attacks are down by 70 percent.
In the wake of improved security have come political reconciliation and compromise. Iraq's democratic government continues to mature, with ethnic and religious loyalties beginning to yield to broader political concerns.

The Washington Post reports that the country's foremost Shiite politician, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, has formed an alliance (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/19/AR2009031902885.html) with Saleh al-Mutlak, an outspoken Sunni leader. It is a development that suggests "the emergence of a new axis of power in Iraq centered on a strong central government and nationalism" - a dramatic change from the sectarian passions that fueled so much bloody agony in 2006 and 2007. In the recent provincial elections, writes the Post's Anthony Shadid, Maliki's party (http://www.islamicdawaparty.com/) won major gains, with the prime minister "forgoing the slogans of his Islamist past for a platform of law and order." Despite his erstwhile reputation as a Shiite hard-liner, Maliki now echoes Mutlak's call for burying the hatchet with supporters of Saddam Hussein's overwhelmingly Sunni Baath Party.

Those elections were yet another blow to the conviction that constitutional democracy and Arab culture are incompatible. For the 440 seats to be filled, more than 14,000 candidates and some 400 political parties contended - a level of democratic competition that leaves American elections in the dust. A Jeffersonian republic of yeoman smallholders Iraq will never be. But over the past six years it has been transformed from one of the most brutal tyrannies on earth to an example of democratic pluralism in the heart of the Arab world.

For a long time the foes of both the Iraq war and the president who launched it insisted that none of this was possible - that the war was lost (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18227928), that there was no military solution (http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr.asp?NewsID=14776&Cr=iraq&Cr1=) to the sectarian slaughter, that the surge would only make the violence worse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_igpyewuzQ&feature=related). Victory was not an option (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/09/AR2007020901917_pf.html), the critics declared; the only option was to partition Iraq and get out (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article722812.ece). Time and again it was said that the war would forever be remembered as Bush's folly (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200507u/pp2005-07-20), if not indeed as the worst foreign policy mistake in US history (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/18/reid.iraq/index.html).

Even now, with a stubbornness born of partisan hostility or political ideology, there are those who cannot bring themselves to utter the words "victory" and "Iraq" in the same sentence. But six years after the war began, it is ending in victory. As in every war, the price of that victory was higher than we would have wished. The price of defeat would have been far higher.

Per conservative logic, if that poll happened during Obama's term, then he is directly responsible for the uptick in Iraqi confidence. :D

LnGrrrR
03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Also, I thought I remembered that name. Jeff Jacoby is a hack. I put him right up there with Thomas Sowell. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jacoby_(columnist)

Winehole23
03-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Kirkuk.

Epic Fail Guy
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Obama consults me for everything! Just look at the economy!