PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Warriors Previews

duncan228
03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Golden State (25-45) at San Antonio (45-24) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009032424&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Tue Mar 24, 2009
TV: CSBA, My35
By Anthony Giornalista

Tim Duncan’s late scoring burst helped San Antonio beat the Golden State Warriors in February. His failure to produce down the stretch in his last game is partly to blame for the Spurs’ fall from the Southwest Division lead.

Coming off a costly late-game collapse, Duncan and the Spurs look to win their 22nd straight home game against the Warriors on Tuesday night.

San Antonio (45-24) lost 87-85 to Houston on Sunday, dropping a half-game behind the first-place Rockets in the Southwest.

It was the third loss in four games for the Spurs, who started pulling away midway through the fourth quarter before Houston went on a 10-2 run and won it on Yao Ming’s pass to Luis Scola underneath for a basket with 11.9 seconds left.

“We’re concerned with playing well and closing out games,” San Antonio guard Roger Mason said. “We’re concerned about being ready for the playoffs. … If we take care of what we’re supposed to do I think we’ll be OK.”

Duncan had 23 points after being held under 20 in 12 straight games, but he went scoreless in the final period on four missed shots.

The veteran big man, who has been hampered by a sore knee in recent weeks, had a clutch effort in the Spurs’ 110-105 overtime win at Golden State (25-45) on Feb. 2, scoring five points in OT en route to matching a season high with 32.

In the teams’ only other meeting this season, Duncan had 20 points, 13 rebounds and five assists as the Spurs beat the Warriors 123-88 on Dec. 6, their 21st straight home win in the series.

San Antonio has held Golden State to 85.0 points per game and 38.6 percent shooting during that run. The Warriors haven’t won at San Antonio since a 108-94 victory Feb. 14, 1997—the season prior to Duncan’s first with the Spurs.

Golden State enters this contest having lost five straight and 16 of 18 on the road.

But San Antonio, in danger of losing three straight for the first time since starting the season 0-3, has to bounce back from an emotional letdown.

Tony Parker had 22 and 12 assists for the Spurs, but missed a tough 7-footer with 2.9 seconds left. The point guard is averaging 25.4 points and 8.2 assists in his last eight games.

Parker will be matched up with Monta Ellis, who averaged 25.2 points in his first six contests after returning from an ankle injury before being held to 12 in Golden State’s 99-89 loss to New Orleans on Sunday.

The Warriors, who shot a season-high 56.5 percent in a win over Philadelphia on Friday night, made 30.2 percent (13-for-43) of their shots en route to scoring a season-low 37 points in the first half versus the Hornets.

“You can’t wait and play too late against a good team,” said Golden State swingman Stephen Jackson, who had 22 points after averaging 11.3 in his previous three outings.

Jackson had 33 points and 11 assists in February’s contest with the Spurs, but has been held to eight points or fewer in four of his six road games against his former team.

Notes

Warriors:

F Brandan Wright, coming off a career-high 25 points against Philadelphia, scored only four points.. ... The Warriors have lost 16 of their last 18 road games. Golden State scored a season-low 37 points in the first half.

Spurs:

G Roger Mason missed San Antonio's first free throw try, drawing some noticeable groans from the crowd. It was six consecutive missed foul shots in the final 2:32 against Boston on Friday that doomed the Spurs in a 80-77 loss. ... Spurs F Matt Bonner, who has started consistently since December, came off the bench behind Kurt Thomas. Bonner entered the game ranked third in 3-point percentage but has hit just 2 of his last 11 from beyond the arc.

Team Stat Leaders

Stephen Jackson GS 20.9
Tony Parker SA 21.4

Rebounds

Andris Biedrins GS 11.5
Tim Duncan SA 10.6

Assists

Stephen Jackson GS 6.5
Tony Parker SA 6.8

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Golden State 25-45 3rd Pacific / 10th West 108.6 112.1 Road 6-29 Lost 1 4-6

San Antonio 45-24 2nd Southwest / 3rd West 96.6 92.8 Home 24-11 Lost 2 5-5

Texas_Ranger
03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
JaX's got almost the same numbers of assist as Parker...that's just wow.

Bukefal
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Never mind the recent losses, i have full faith in the SPURS, We're going to kick asss!!!!!! GO SPURS GO.

(but i still think pop should withdraw duncan for the next couple of games) (And tony, pleaseee continue to carry the team for just these few last games of the reg. season and continue to play like a super star!!)

crc21209
03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
BIG game for the Spurs. We HAVE to bounce back starting this game.

xtremesteven33
03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Duncan should play no more than 30 minutes for this back to back.

sananspursfan21
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
spurs can stop the bleeding here!

crc21209
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Spurs got the Warriors, Hawks, Clippers, Hornets, Thunder, and Pacers next. Only 2 of those games should be difficult. We have to take care of business.

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Hawks and Hornets will be tough. Pop needs to set the rotations and get the players to step it up in intensity and focus. Last few games before the playoffs, so please stop with Mason at PG experiment, and we could use more of Bowen. Manu is healed, bone is healed, Manu is safe to come back, let him play. Even if it's for 10 minutes at a time. Gooden will need to adjust to the Spurs and to Manu.
Thanks Pop. TITS!

spurtilldeath
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I hope Manu's return is on the game against the hawks....

BUMP
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Spurs are trash

crc21209
03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Hawks and Hornets will be tough. Pop needs to set the rotations and get the players to step it up in intensity and focus. Last few games before the playoffs, so please stop with Mason at PG experiment, and we could use more of Bowen. Manu is healed, bone is healed, Manu is safe to come back, let him play. Even if it's for 10 minutes at a time. Gooden will need to adjust to the Spurs and to Manu.
Thanks Pop. TITS!

The Hornets game may be tough, or it may not. The Hornets have been without Stojackovic the past 8 games or so, and Chandler the last 3 games. They may not be back for Sunday's game.

birdy219
03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
The Hornets game may be tough, or it may not. The Hornets have been without Stojackovic the past 8 games or so, and Chandler the last 3 games. They may not be back for Sunday's game.

Do you honestly believe that? All players make speedy recoverys so that they can play against us. Look at poor garnett who just HAD to play against us.
I guess we should take it as a compliment that everybody brings their best game against us. But I personally think it stinks. They don't get up to play the lakers; only the chump teams get up to play against them. Why us? :lobt2:

Hook Dem
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Spurs are trash

What else is a lowly Mav fan gonna say?:flipoff

sananspursfan21
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Spurs are trash

get outta here!!!

WalterBenitez
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
We need a good win tomorrow, I bet you we are gonna win by 10+

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 12:15 AM
1. Wouldn't be surprised if this game is the part of the back to back Pop sits Timmy for. The Warriors play small and there is less need for Timmy.

2. Speaking of playing small, we all know that overall Pop advocates tough, physical play, but I think deep down he has a closet affinity for fast-paced, small ball type play. We went to that for a little while in the Houston game (at the same time they did, benching Scola and Yao and playing Hayes at the 5) and it went well. I think its something Pop has been fooling with all year - playing a lineup like Thomas, Udoka, Finley, Hill, Parker - and has in his back pocket as a weapon to use in certain playoff situations. I think we play well that way -- its something unique Udoka brings to the table -- and I really enjoy it, spacing the floor for drives and kicks, etc. I bet we'll see more of that kind of lineup against Golden State -- with Udoka at the 4. That's why I think this is the best game to sit Timmy.

3. I'm also looking forward to seeing Hill have some time against Ellis. He's an explosive combo guard that embodies the type of player Hill should be good against as our new lockdown PG/SG defender.

duncan228
03-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Tuesday: Warriors (25-45) at Spurs (45-24) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Tuesday_Warriors_25-45_at_Spurs_45-24.html)
Express-News

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KMYS
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WARRIORS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 8 Monta Ellis (6-3, 4th yr)
Tim Duncan broke Parker's 14-game string as team's leading scorer vs. Houston.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 1 Stephen Jackson (6-8, 9th yr)
Spurs trying to make Mason the backup point guard, too, with mixed results.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 7 Kelenna Azubuike (6-5, 3rd yr)
Azubuike thriving as a starter with Jamal Crawford nursing injury.

PG - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 32 Brendan Wright (6-10, 2nd yr)
Duncan struggling with sore knees, creaky shooting during month of March.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 21 Ronny Turiaf (6-10, 4th yr)
Kurt Thomas got the start vs. rugged Warriors, but smaller Warriors suit Bonner.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-10, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr

WARRIORS RESERVES

18 Marco Belinelli, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
6 Jamal Crawford, G, 6-5, 9th yr
50 Corey Maggette, F, 6-6, 10th yr
22 Anthony Morrow, G, 6-5, 1st yr
4 Anthony Randolph, F, 6-10, 1st yr
31 Rob Kurz, F, 6-9, 1st yr
23 C.J. Watson, G, 6-2, 2nd yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Warriors: Don Nelson

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) and Manu Ginobili (stress reaction, right ankle) are out.

Warriors: Andris Biedrins (sprained left ankle) and Jermareo Davidson (stress fracture, left foot) are out. Anthony Randolph (sprained left groin) is doubtful.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Ginobili, Malik Hairston.

Warriors: Biedrins, Davidson.

NOTABLE

Spurs have slipped from their perch atop the Southwest Division after losing three of their past four games by a combined eight points. ... Since the All-Star break, Spurs rank second in the NBA in points allowed and eighth in field-goal percentage defense. ... Spurs have won 20 in a row against Golden State at home. Warriors' last victory in San Antonio came on Valentine's Day 1997.

- Jeff McDonald

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I still bet TD sits this game. He should be sitting half of back to backs and this one is more logical because of how the Warrior play.

duncan228
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I still bet TD sits this game. He should be sitting half of back to backs and this one is more logical because of how the Warrior play.

It's possible Duncan will sit. The starting line up listed is probable. We won't know for sure until it's turned in close to game time.

peacemaker885
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Talk about overloaded wing - Jackson, Crawford, Magette, Azibuke

Mugen
03-24-2009, 01:13 AM
i agree that tim should sit this game.

makes more sense: giving him more rest against the weaker opponent of the b2b.

Yuixafun
03-24-2009, 01:17 AM
i agree that tim should sit this game.

makes more sense: giving him more rest against the weaker opponent of the b2b.

Samurai Champloo was a sick series. The music for the show gets me too.

Mugen
03-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Samurai Champloo was a sick series. The music for the show gets me too.

:toast

scientology
03-24-2009, 05:04 AM
We need a good win tomorrow, I bet you we are gonna win by 10+

You sound like a drunk Tom Cruise.

Chieflion
03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Please just win.

Toni61
03-24-2009, 06:07 AM
I hope we win and Gooden plays well.

scientology
03-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Please just win.

Join my cult and you can't lose!

shelshor
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Referee Assignments
Tue. Mar. 24
Golden State @ San Antonio: J. DeRosa, T. Brown, L. Grillo

Bukefal
03-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Join my cult and you can't lose!

lol, yeah of course :ihit :rollin

Texas_Ranger
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
If I see Mason playing the point guard I'll just go crazy!

Agloco
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Tuesday: Warriors (25-45) at Spurs (45-24) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Tuesday_Warriors_25-45_at_Spurs_45-24.html)
Express-News

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 21 Ronny Turiaf (6-10, 4th yr)
Kurt Thomas got the start vs. rugged Warriors, but smaller Warriors suit Bonner.

- Jeff McDonald

Makes Bonner sound like a pedophile actually.......:lol

Creation88
03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
i plan to go to the game tonight after leaving the Boston game in disgust and ripping up my ticket. don't crap on me tonight Spurs team. c'mon!

Chomag
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I would love to see Manu on the floor for at least 10-15 minutes if he is cleared to play. I know Pop is always careful, and patient about bringing player back in after injury, but time is not on our side at the moment. He needs a few minutes or so to at least get his game legs back before even considering to play him more.

I hope Gooden gets more minutes. IS he already in Pops doghouse? I know he is new and still has alot to learn of our system, but we just don't have the luxury of slowly brining him in at this late in the season. Pop needs to play him if he is seriously thinking of Gooden being an impact for the team for this seasons playoffs. If not I would much rather have Oberto taking his minutes and hope Gooden can give us more next season.

If Finely is limited to 20 minutes and under for the rest of the season I would be happy.I believe he still has some good games left in him but it wont happen if he is overplayed and out of gas. Pop needs to realize that Finely is no longer a player in his prime that he can play 30+ minutes and expect him to be effective.

As for the back up PG situation: Pop, please just play Hill dammit! Why draft a player for the position if not to use it. Hill may not be the best nba player in the league at that position at this time, but the really wasn't all that bad. IF only Pop can understand that the best thing for a rookie is to bring his confidence up, let him know that you believe in him. Benching him, and not playing him for the rest of the game is not going to teach a rookie anything other then making him believe you don't think he can do it. What would you expect would happen to a rookies Psyche if you tell him you no longer want him to play the position that he is on this team for? Let the Kid learn! He has shown all of us that he belongs in the NBA and has shown many flashes of being a very good player.

Chomag
03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
If I see Mason playing the point guard I'll just go crazy!

Agreed, if he does play the position I think it's safe to say Pop has gone from just being out right stubborn, to just plain crazy.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Spurs are trash

Game recognize game.......

duncan228
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Spurs aim to regroup versus Warriors (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4221977)

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs will find themselves in an unfamiliar position when they hit the floor against the Golden State Warriors tonight -- second place.

The Spurs fell out of the top spot in the Southwest Division on Sunday when Luis Scola finished with 19 points and 17 rebounds, and made a pair of key baskets in the final minute to help Houston upend San Antonio, 87-85, and vault over the Spurs for the division lead.

Houston entered Sunday's contest a half-game behind San Antonio, but moved atop the Southwest Division after overcoming a six-point deficit late in the game.

The Spurs hope their stay in second place is a short one as they shoot for their 23rd consecutive home win versus the Warriors.

Tony Parker had 22 points and 12 assists against Houston, but his potential game-winning floater in the lane in the final seconds hit off the rim, as the Spurs lost their second in a row and fell to 1-2 on a four-game homestand.

"We're concerned with playing well and closing out games," San Antonio's Roger Mason said after the game. "We're concerned about being ready for the playoffs. At the end of the day we want to put ourselves in the best position, but I don't think guys on this team pay attention to the standings day-in and day-out."

Tim Duncan added 23 points and Ime Udoka scored a season-high 16 off the bench for San Antonio, which is now 24-11 at the AT&T Center.

The Warriors, meanwhile, lost the opener of a four-game road trip in the Big Easy on Sunday when Chris Paul scored a game-high 27 points, grabbed eight rebounds, and dished out eight assists to lead the New Orleans Hornets past Golden State, 99-89.

The Warriors were paced by Stephen Jackson, who finished with 22 points and 10 boards. Kelenna Azubuike added 16 points and six rebounds for Golden State, which dropped to a miserable 6-29 on the road this year.

Monta Ellis and Ronny Turiaf ended with 12 and 11 points, respectively, while Corey Maggette netted 11 points and pulled down eight rebounds off the bench in defeat.

The Warriors, who have dropped five in a row away from home, will also visit Dallas and Denver during their trip.

The Spurs have won three straight over Golden State, including a pair of meetings this season.

NRHector
03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Pop needs to stop being a momentum and rally killer:flag:

scientology
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Spurs are trash

And this will we proven tonight! :tu

B-Boy
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
And this will we proven tonight! :tu

:rolleyes

I hope we don't get flooded with Warrior trolls tonight!

Don Quixote
03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
It's not looking good. Normally, you would think this would be an easy W for the Silver & Black, but their recent loss to the Thunder might indicate otherwise. Also, again without Manu, with Tim dragging his leg, and their less-than-clutch play overall, against an athletic group that can shoot the ball, and that spells a loss.

Warriors win 105-98.