PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Playoff Performance Could Seal Udoka's Deal

duncan228
03-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Playoff performance could seal Udoka's deal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Playoff_performance_could_seal_Udokas_deal.html)
Jeff McDonald

Nobody needs to remind Ime Udoka that his contract with the Spurs is up at the end of the season. He knows full well he is playing as much for his present as he is for the future.

Udoka, a 6-foot-6 swingman, signed a two-year deal worth a total of just over $2 million in the summer of 2007. He makes no secret of the fact that he would prefer to re-up with the Spurs when it expires in July.

Over the next few weeks or months, Udoka will make his sales pitch. His performance in the playoffs should go a long way toward determining his future.

“The way I've always approached it as a free agent in the past, I'm going to play hard,” Udoka said. “You're not only playing for your team but for the rest of the league. At least, that's how I had to look at it in the past.”

Udoka, 31, has earned increased minutes in Gregg Popovich's bench rotation lately, mostly due to his defense, and has made the most of them. In Sunday's loss to Houston, he scored a season-high 16 points, shooting 7 of 9 from the floor and collecting seven rebounds.

There was a time this season when Udoka had all but disappeared from the rotation, and it appeared his days in San Antonio might be numbered. Now that he has returned to active duty, Udoka is essentially playing for his next contract, which he hopes will come from the Spurs.

“Definitely,” Udoka said. “I've had a great two years here. Just the comfort level you get from playing with these guys, and knowing the type of team we have, it's great to be here.”

Tweet, tweet: Milwaukee forward Charlie Villanueva recently drew the ire of Bucks coach Scott Skiles for posting a Twitter update from the locker room at halftime.

Had Villanueva played for Popovich, a self-professed Luddite, he probably could have gotten away with it.

“I'm still on the fax,” Popovich said. “I do faxes. Faxes and letters. Sometimes my daughter will check my phone, and there will be an e-mail, and it will be from last Christmas or something.

“You could Twitter me to death, and I wouldn't know it.”

Sixth man Maggette: Quietly, Golden State's Corey Maggette has become one of the NBA's best reserves. Maggette, whose Warriors face the Spurs tonight, is averaging 19.7 points in 30 games off the bench this season, second only to Dallas' Jason Terry.

“He's going great coming off the bench,” Warriors coach Don Nelson said. “It's really helped me, because we had an obvious problem playing everybody, especially when everybody's healthy.”

Amuseddaysleeper
03-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I just hope the Spurs don't overpay for Udoka when the time comes like they did with Finley.

I just hope he plays the game of his life come playoff time.

MaNu4Tres
03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
I just don't see any room for Udoka after this season. Especially if Gist and Hairston show enough improvement to fight for the 5th or 6th wing spots.

wisnub
03-24-2009, 12:19 AM
He got to probve himself this playoff,and then seal the deal with Spurs...Spurs can get rid vaughn,oberto and maybe finley. that should do it. People might not like ime but he is a candidate of Bowens heir along with hairston.

Yuixafun
03-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Ime and Hill need go off to some beach with a gym close by and hold training camp with Bruce Bowen and TP and Tim Duncan.

They could go off for a week where Bowen reveals to them his insights and puts them through grueling drills, runs through deep sand, bonding and influencing how they approach Defense, clarifies their goals and teaches them to move more effeciently.

At the end Parker could get Eva to bring some friends and they could build a bonfire and light fireworks.

NewJerSpur
03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't see him cashing out here, unless he lights it up like he did against the Hornets last year in the playoffs. I just don't know what he can consistently contribute above anyone else that would cause us to really need him. He CAN hit a few 3's, has SORT OF a midrange jumper, and has proven he doesn't give ground to SF's who like to post up just as often if not more than they like to face up. Still, there's nothing that really jumps out at you about his game that screams asset. Time will tell, but I hope he can contribute whatever he's got in the playoffs.

timvp
03-24-2009, 12:29 AM
I just hope the Spurs don't overpay for Udoka when the time comes like they did with Finley.

I just hope he plays the game of his life come playoff time.I highly doubt his stock could rise past where it was when the Spurs signed him. And even then, there was hardly a market for him.

Well, other than that imaginary three-year, $12 million bidder Udoka's agent was claiming early on in negotiations.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I highly doubt his stock could rise past where it was when the Spurs signed him. And even then, there was hardly a market for him.

Well, other than that imaginary three-year, $12 million bidder Udoka's agent was claiming early on in negotiations.

:lol

I just know Pop has a soft spot for veterans, but hopefully 2009/2010 season will be the real youth movement season.

benefactor
03-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Eh...no thanks. I can't see us wasting money and a roster spot on a player that took over half a season to come around when he should be getting major rotation minutes. Exit Udoka, enter Hairston.

galvatron3000
03-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Spurs need a real Small forward and if Gist is the likely canidate and the obvious need for youth on the perimeter (coming off the bench at the least) I don't see why Udoka would be resigned. Bowen will still be under contract, some seem to think Finley will use his rights to play another year, Manu is still signed til 2010 and Mason on the roster as well just makes no sense at this stage. Gooden is trying to make a case for himself, I doubt we have the funds available to sign him but I'm not sure what the money will look like or what he will garner on the market, his play will determine that as will his health.

Ice009
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I would be interested in bringing Udoka back if the price is right. I think he's a tough, hard nosed player, but how he plays out the rest of the season will determine if he should be resigned.

Go Ime.

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I would be interested in bringing Udoka back if the price is right. I think he's a tough hard nosed player, but how he plays out the rest of the season will determine if he should be resigned.

Go Ime.

Agreed. He does bring something unique to the table in that he can guard guys like Artest. He did better in the earlier Houston game, and Bowen did better than him on Sunday, but he and Bruce are the only guys with a chance against someone like Artest. I like players who bring something unique.

Plus he hopefully won't be too expensive. And he's a hard worker who fits in the system and we all know that's a prerequisite.

And sure he didn't do much early, but he wasn't getting a lot of minutes. Maybe with consistent PT he would be doing what he's been doing of late.

Regarding Gist, I've heard that he is more of a Carl Landry-style undersized 4 rather than a 3. Not sure if this is correct, but he may not be a solution at the 3.

Dex
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm mostly glad to see Udoka has found his way back into the rotation, but its gonna need to be one hell of a playoff performance.

Ice009
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
And sure he didn't do much early, but he wasn't getting a lot of minutes. Maybe with consistent PT he would be doing what he's been doing of late.

That's exactly what I've been saying in other threads.

I was one of the people that wanted to start Ime earlier in the season. I thought he would be more productive if he starts and got into a rhythm.

Well that didn't really happen as he was quite bad to start the season, but looking at it now maybe Pop didn't give him enough chances? If he gave Ime the same amount of time he gives Michael Finley you never know Ime could be more productive on both ends of the court. I think if Pop were to start Ime again he would do a lot better this time.

Ice009
03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm mostly glad to see Udoka has found his way back into the rotation, but its gonna need to be one hell of a playoff performance.

Why?

Who can you find out there that can guard guys like Ron Artest and likes to body up with him and play physical at Ime's price?

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
That's exactly what I've been saying in other threads.

I was one of the people that wanted to start Ime earlier in the season. I thought he would be more productive if he starts and got into a rhythm.

Well that didn't really happen as he was quite bad to start the season, but looking at it now maybe Pop didn't give him enough chances? If he gave Ime the same amount of time he gives Michael Finley you never know Ime could be more productive on both ends of the court. I think if Pop were to start Ime again he would do a lot better this time.

Not sure I'd go as far as advocating he start, but I like him getting more minutes.

Bruno
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Udoka hasn't been in the rotation when Manu was healthy. I think Pop will go with Bruce over Udoka for the playoffs and Udoka will play only against some strong SFs or as small ball PF.

Spurs will definitely need some help at SF next year. Finley will be 37 for the 2010 playoffs and Bruce nearly 39 years old. Both could also decide to retire. I expect some change at this spot next year.

SenorSpur
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Spurs need a real Small forward and if Gist is the likely canidate and the obvious need for youth on the perimeter (coming off the bench at the least) I don't see why Udoka would be resigned. Bowen will still be under contract, some seem to think Finley will use his rights to play another year, Manu is still signed til 2010 and Mason on the roster as well just makes no sense at this stage. Gooden is trying to make a case for himself, I doubt we have the funds available to sign him but I'm not sure what the money will look like or what he will garner on the market, his play will determine that as will his health.

This is getting to be a rather old subject, but I couldn't agree more. The Spurs definitely need a REAL, young SF, prospect - preferably one that has some length and athleticism. The SF position is the one spot in this league where you find most of the NBA's better athletes and superior talent. At the present time, the Spurs are one of the few teams that have absolutely NO ONE who can match that skill level. With Bowen in decline, they also have no one that can defend such an opposing player.

I like Udoka and, provided he becomes more consistent and finishes the year strong, I wouldn't have an issue with him being resigned. However, I don't think the Spurs can go into another season with two SFs, who are both edging past the north side of 36 years old. Couple that with a 32 year-old, superstar 6th man, who now is injury-prone.

Spurs must make room to begin integrating both Hairston and Gist. Also, I believe they need to draft yet another SF prospect for the pipeline or sign a mid-career veteran SF in free agency (Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza). However, the possibility oof either of those is remote, at best. Either way, then can no longer afford to continue ignoring this position. Unitl they address this position, they will continue to be at a disadvantage at that spot.

xtremesteven33
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Udoka :td

baseline bum
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Ime hasn't developed at all in his two years here. I like the guy, but he's not much more than a warm body off the bench. I don't see any reason to bring him back; I'd rather bring some young blood in and hope to find the next Stephen Jackson.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Udokas out....

Time for some fresh talent.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
What will seal Udoka's deal will be his willingness to play for a near-minimum contract.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Wasn't the arena deal supposed to ensure that the Spurs wouldn't be limited financially in the pursuit of championships?

timvp
03-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Udoka hasn't been in the rotation when Manu was healthy. I think Pop will go with Bruce over Udoka for the playoffs and Udoka will play only against some strong SFs or as small ball PF.

Spurs will definitely need some help at SF next year. Finley will be 37 for the 2010 playoffs and Bruce nearly 39 years old. Both could also decide to retire. I expect some change at this spot next year.Good points.

And while Udoka may be the youngest on paper, his multiple serious knee injuries have caught up to him athletically. Last year he had just enough athleticism to play his role. This year he lost some quickness and is now a liability on the court unless he's making his shots or he's matched up against a bulky three/four that isn't fast.

The one thing Udoka has going forward is the fact that Pop seems to be a fan of his.

Destro
03-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Give Ime credit for being a pro all season, he took his bench time like a man, no bitching or complaining.

sprrs
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Udokas out....

Better Udoka soaking up minutes than Finley.

HarlemHeat37
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I would honestly be shocked if Hairston isn't on the roster next year as a rotation guy..he's gonna have an entire off-season to work on his J, which is his main flaw..if he gets the consistency to his shot, he'll be a good prospect for us starting next year..he got a taste of the system, he impressed most of us..nice athleticism and fearlessness..he should be one of our SFs next year..

I don't know much about Gist, but I like what I've seen from him..

I like our future at SF..it seems like we have our role players lined up at this position for the next few years..

crc21209
03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm not so sure about re-signing Udoka. Maybe...MAYBE...if Fin leaves/retires then I guess but with Hairston and Gist coming in possibly where will Udoka fit in there. It might just depend on what he does from here on out...

Manufan909
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Udokas out....

Only if Fin decided to retire after getting his second ring would I be cool with Ime being resigned for the minimum. If he is good-great(by his standards of course) in every PO round, regardless if the Spurs get to the Finals, should he come back. And I hope he plays well enough to take Fins minutes come the playoffs, not Bowens or Masons.

Spurs Brazil
03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Ime hasn't developed at all in his two years here. I like the guy, but he's not much more than a warm body off the bench. I don't see any reason to bring him back; I'd rather bring some young blood in and hope to find the next Stephen Jackson.

Agree.
I'd like to see what Malik can do in Summer League and Training Camp

sananspursfan21
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
i wouldn't go so far as to say he's the x-factor for the spurs in the playoffs, but i think how he performs will determine whether or not they go deep in the post-season

tomtom
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Meh its nice to see hes finally producing, but I think overall his time here is done, time for some new and fresh faces

duncan228
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Easy to Root for Ime (http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html)
by Bill Schoening

Small forward Ime Udoka is an example of a player who had numerous opportunities to give up on his dream of playing in the NBA, but kept pushing forward and refused to quit.

His journey could serve as a virtual roadmap of basketball outpasts. Two seasons of junior college ball at Eastern Utah was followed by one season stays at the Univ. of San Francisco and Portland State. Unpicked in the 2000 draft, Udoka kept his bags packed. A series of brief stints and tryouts with the Lakers, Sixers, and Knicks was sandwiched between longer stays with the Charleston Low Gators and Fort Worth Flyers of the NBA Developmental League.

The '04-'05 season was spent with Auna Gran Canaria in Spain and Vichy in France. Udoka finally caught on with his hometown Portland TrailBlazers in '06-'07, and signed with the Spurs the following season.

Udoka says he has worked hard this season despite limited minutes and lately he has been part of the rotation, recording a season high 16 points and seven rebounds in Sunday's game with Houston. Udoka's only 6'5" but can guard larger foes because of his strength, and the coaches like his toughness.

As the Spurs second unit awaits a boost from Manu Ginobili, Udoka is hoping he can be part of the mix as well.

sananspursfan21
03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
That makes absolutely no sense.

You wouldnt say he's the x-factor. BUT,

How he plays determines how far they go.

Excellent post.

you make no sense