PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Nail-Biters Make Spurs Grit Their Teeth

duncan228
03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Nail-biters make Spurs grit their teeth (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Nail-biters_make_Spurs_grit_their_teeth.html)
Jeff McDonald

Just before another Spurs game came down to another final shot Sunday afternoon, center Matt Bonner cornered the nearest referee with a timely question about time.

“I asked if I had time to catch and shoot with .3 seconds,” Bonner said. “He said I could.”

Quick on the draw, Bonner unloaded a 3-pointer in the mandated blink of an eye, but it bounced off the rim, securing an 87-85 victory for Houston at the AT&T Center.

That Bonner needed a refresher course on that particular section of the NBA rulebook at all is symbolic of the Spurs' season of late.

The Spurs have dropped three of their past four games by a combined eight points, a stretch of frustration that has sent them tumbling from their perch atop the Southwest Division by the narrowest of margins.

The Houston game was just the third verse of the same final-seconds song.

In an 80-77 setback to the defending NBA champion Boston Celtics, the Spurs missed six free throws in the final 2:32 — including four by Tony Parker in the last 49.8 seconds — that would have given them a lead or tied the game.

In a 78-76 loss at Oklahoma City, the Spurs squandered leads of 17 and 11 points, ultimately falling when Parker had a desperation 3-pointer redirected at the final horn.

The Spurs are now 10-6 in games decided by three points or less, after starting the season 9-2.

The past nerve-wracking week has been enough to make even the youngest Spurs players go prematurely grey. Heaven knows the toll it is taking on their already silver-haired coach, Gregg Popovich.

“I think it's going to make his hair go from white to colored again,” Bonner cracked.

Thanks to the recent string of close calls, the Spurs now find themselves fighting to at least secure home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Heading into Monday's slate, the Spurs were in third place in the Western Conference, just a game ahead of fifth-place New Orleans.

If nothing else, the Spurs could use a drama-free night tonight, when the 25-45 Golden State Warriors visit the AT&T Center. If history holds, it should be — the Warriors have lost 20 straight in San Antonio.

“We're concerned with playing well, we're concerned about closing out games,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “At the end of the day, we want to put ourselves in the best position. If we take care of what we're supposed to do, we'll be OK.”

The white-knuckle week has given rise to a mixed reaction in the Spurs locker room.

There is the frustration of knowing they are about three plays away from winning eight of their past nine. But there is also the satisfaction of knowing that, despite what the standings say, they have actually been playing fairly well.

“The feeling is that we're almost there,” Bonner said. “It feels like we're playing hard and making steps forward. Just a few plays here and there are making the difference.”

In a development that must warm Popovich's heart, the Spurs have been playing particularly well on defense.

Since the All-Star break, the Spurs lead the NBA in points allowed (87.9) and rank second in field-goal percentage defense (42.8). They haven't allowed an opponent to crack 90 points in five games.

“(Defense) is what we're howling about between now and playoff time,” Popovich said. “We'll score enough points. We just have to play good ‘D.'”

The Spurs' most recent stomach-churning loss testifies to how fine a line that can be.

Up until the final three minutes or so against Houston, they had produced another stellar defensive performance, and led by seven points.

Then, the Spurs let Shane Battier free for a 3-pointer, and let Luis Scola loose for back-to-back layups off passes from Yao Ming. The second Yao-to-Scola hook-up proved to be the game-winner, putting the Rockets ahead 86-85 with 11.2 seconds left.

Bonner, of course, had a chance to salvage the Spurs' fortunes. After his potential game-winner clanged, Bonner crumpled to the ground in breathless disbelief.

“I thought it was in,” Bonner said.

Like the Spurs themselves for the past week, it was close. But not good enough.

alchemist
03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
So one ref told Bonner he could catch and shoot, yet another told Shane Battier that all the Spurs could legally do was tip it in....ain't that some shit?

Yuixafun
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Lol.. would have been some controversy had that went for Bonner.

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Lol.. would have been some controversy had that went for Bonner.

As far as I understand it, and its been confirmed by others, all you can do with .4 or less on the clock is a tip-in. Its been deemed impossible by the league to shoot in that amount of time.

If Bonner had hit that shot and it was waived off, as it should have been, I think this message board would have burned itself to the ground.

Yuixafun
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
A poster would have immolated himself in protest!

bdictjames
03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
As far as I understand it, and its been confirmed by others, all you can do with .4 or less on the clock is a tip-in. Its been deemed impossible by the league to shoot in that amount of time.

If Bonner had hit that shot and it was waived off, as it should have been, I think this message board would have burned itself to the ground.
No, when the clock is 0.2 seconds or less, its been ruled that one cannot catch and shoot the ball. A shot on 0.4 is still possible.

Dex
03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I thought they changed the ruling after .4, stating that it's capable to catch and shoot in .4 seconds, but are only allowed to tip it at .3 or less. Spurs fans should know this rule pretty well by now.

I was surprised they didn't wave off the shot (as it was a catch and shoot, with a turn no less), but it didn't go in anyways, so it didn't matter.

VI_Massive
03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I thought they changed the ruling after .4, stating that it's capable to catch and shoot in .4 seconds, but are only allowed to tip it at .3 or less. Spurs fans should know this rule pretty well by now.

I was surprised they didn't wave off the shot (as it was a catch and shoot, with a turn no less), but it didn't go in anyways, so it didn't matter.

You are correct. Straight from p. 57 of the rule book:

The game clock must show :00.3 or more in order for a player to secure possession of the ball on a rebound or throw-in to attempt a field goal. Instant replay shall be utilized if the basket is successful on this type of play and the clock runs to 0:00.
The only type of field goal which may be scored if the game clock is at :00.2 or :00.1 is a “tip-in” or “high lob.”

Dex
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
You are correct. Straight from p. 57 of the rule book:

The game clock must show :00.3 or more in order for a player to secure possession of the ball on a rebound or throw-in to attempt a field goal. Instant replay shall be utilized if the basket is successful on this type of play and the clock runs to 0:00.
The only type of field goal which may be scored if the game clock is at :00.2 or :00.1 is a “tip-in” or “high lob.”

Hm, that actually sounds like a catch-and-shoot would be permitted with 0.3.

0.2 or 0.1, only a tip.

Maybe they adjusted that again. Obviously even one of the refs wasn't sure about it, which says about how well they've been reading the rule book.

Agloco
03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Nail-biters make Spurs grit their teeth (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Nail-biters_make_Spurs_grit_their_teeth.html)
Jeff McDonald

Since the All-Star break, the Spurs lead the NBA in points allowed (87.9) and rank second in field-goal percentage defense (42.8). They haven't allowed an opponent to crack 90 points in five games.

“(Defense) is what we're howling about between now and playoff time,” Popovich said. “We'll score enough points. We just have to play good ‘D.'”

Look no further.....

Unfortunately, the Spurs rank 22nd in offense :depressed

Agloco
03-24-2009, 09:32 AM

You are correct. I'm surprised that a referee would give Bonner incorect information in that situation. I'm not saying that it was done on purpose, but what happens if he makes it and the other two refs go to wave the shot off?:wtf