PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Changes

monosylab1k
03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f5307a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bernard Pollard must be pissed. He made one of the top 5 greatest plays in NFL history and now they're saying it's illegal.

IronMexican
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
AFC West discrimination.

J.T.
03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
If the Colts losing a playoff game on the road to 8-8 San Diego in OT with a bunch of bullshit defensive holding flags on third down stops that would've forced punts couldn't get the OT rules changed, then we're stuck with this coin flip and first to get in field goal range with a kicker not named Mike Vanderjagt wins the game bullshit forever.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I find it amusing that the NFL didn't try to adopt this rule when Carson Palmer went down with a similar hit a few seasons back. It's just more Patriot slob knobing.

Warlord23
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
lol, Patriots.

The biggest question facing NE this season is how they are going to fuck their season up this time round.

lol, undefeated till the Super Bowl

lol, Brady

lol, losing the division to the Dolphins

monosylab1k
03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
The biggest question facing NE this season is how they are going to fuck their season up this time round.

Are you saying the Patriots are the favorites to win the AFC and not the defending "champions"? lol.

Chris
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
If the Colts losing a playoff game on the road to 8-8 San Diego in OT with a bunch of bullshit defensive holding flags on third down stops that would've forced punts couldn't get the OT rules changed, then we're stuck with this coin flip and first to get in field goal range with a kicker not named Mike Vanderjagt wins the game bullshit forever.

It's a great rule, until your team gets screwed by it. The defense always has a chance to get the ball so no excuses.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
At least they aren't fucking with overtime. Sudden death is the greatest part of NFL football, and everyone knows it.

JoeTait75
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I find it amusing that the NFL didn't try to adopt this rule when Carson Palmer went down with a similar hit a few seasons back. It's just more Patriot slob knobing.

That's because it was a Steeler who took out Carson Palmer. The Steelers are the league's darlings, they're allowed to do whatever they want.

bostonguy
03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
lol, Patriots.

lol, undefeated till the Super Bowl

lol, Brady

lol, losing the division to the Dolphins

Steeler fans fear a healthy Tom Brady. After the way he has dominated that D, I sure dont blame them.

lol 1-4 vs Brady

Trainwreck2100
03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
At least they aren't fucking with overtime. Sudden death is the greatest part of NFL football, and everyone knows it.

Sudden death would be fine if they took away FGs

monosylab1k
03-25-2009, 12:58 AM

:tu

J.T.
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM
It's a great rule, until your team gets screwed by it. The defense always has a chance to get the ball so no excuses.

Shove that no excuses crap up your ass. The defense doesn't have a chance to get the ball back when they're being flagged by a ref who's giving the crowd what they want by conveniently holding those phantom defensive holding flags until third down stops in overtime. Root for a team that doesn't or didn't have confirmed faggots on its roster why don't you?

Ghazi
03-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Pussification

Spurtacus
03-25-2009, 06:32 PM

I disagree. I like the college system but possession should start at midfield.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm not sure why anyone thinks teams should have something taken away during overtime. Might as well just pick a stat at random and say whoever had the better numbers gets the victory. There's nothing more unbiased than a coin toss, folks.

Warlord23
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
There's nothing more unbiased than a coin toss, folks.

The point is not about bias. Obviously a coin toss doesn't favor anyone when the coin goes up. The point is that when the coin comes down, one team gets an unfair advantage without having done anything to merit such an edge over 4 quarters of play.

I agree that they should either go with something similar to the college rule, or at the very least disallow FGs in sudden death.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
The point is not about bias. Obviously a coin toss doesn't favor anyone when the coin goes up. The point is that when the coin comes down, one team gets an unfair advantage without having done anything to merit such an edge over 4 quarters of play.

I agree that they should either go with something similar to the college rule, or at the very least disallow FGs in sudden death.

The point is completely about bias. It's far less unfair to randomly give one team an advantage based on a coin toss than it is to take away the kicking game. Hell, college takes away all of special teams, so when you've worked all year on establishing field position to give yourself an advantage, they just take that away from you when it's most critical. College overtime is sort of like having a free throw contest to settle a basketball game.

The team that wins the coin toss wins the game about 27 percent of the time on the first possession.

If you don't like kicking, then suggest that the NFL just stop having extra points and field goals altogether. That at least allows the teams to play the same way all the time instead of just taking away part of their strength when the game or even the season is on the line.

I'm not sure when all the little blubbering kindergarten girls started taking over the fucking NFL.

monosylab1k
03-26-2009, 02:03 PM
The team that wins the coin toss wins the game about 27 percent of the time on the first possession.

Then why did Morningweg get roasted for kicking after he won the toss? According to your logic he gave himself an advantage.

And your 27% number is as dishonest a number as you could find. That's the entire history of overtime. As rules have changed to favor the offense that percentage has gone up. From 2003 to 2008, 62% of coin toss winners won the game on their first possession.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Then why did Morningweg get roasted for kicking after he won the toss? According to your logic he gave himself an advantage.
First of all, I just quoted a statistic. Any logic that you've applied to is a product of your imagination.

Logically, Mornhinweg had a kicker with a strong leg, on the road, and a team with a 3-7 record. He also refused a penalty that gave the Bears an extra chance to convert. The Bears then converted the first down and kicked a field goal to win the game. His decision was stupid, and has nothing to do with the stats other than it kicked the percentage up a fraction closer to 30 percent.

And your 27% number is as dishonest a number as you could find.
It hovers below 30 percent no matter what the rules have been over any appreciable amount of time. Let's see if we can find a number that's more dishonest. Ah, here we are:

From 2003 to 2008, 62% of coin toss winners won the game on their first possession.
I'll stop short of calling the above stat complete bullshit until you can back it up. 64 percent of coin toss winners won the games in 2006, but not on the first possession. That was the highest number I could find.

The coin toss winner typically wins around 55 percent of the games, and around four percent are ties, so you have a nine percent better chance of winning the game if you win the coin toss, irrespective of home field. If you decided the winner with a coin flip, you have a 50 percent chance of winning. That's why the players don't want the rules changed, because you'll probably never find anything that gives each team such an equal chance, and any change is likely to penalize one team more heavily than the other by taking away a legitimate advantage.

The only change that might make sense would be to only allow teams to kick field goals on their second possession, but that's too close to sensible for the NFL to come up with.