PDA

View Full Version : About Hill and Gooden

45 bank shot
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Is pop freakin losing faith in them.
Gooden has played a few minutes in the 1st half and then completely disappeared in the second. I could tell from his face that he ain't happy...
As for Hill, his role shifted from starting pg( When TP went down) to backup PG, to desginated defender to now being chosen over by JV.
So the problem is, when it comes down to playoff time, those two studs are probably not going to play much and the spurs will have a huge disadvantage being unathletic once again.

What do you think?

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I think what Hill and Gooden need to do is keep a lead when they are in there. That would be a good start toward gaining confidence from their head coach.

benefactor
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Kinda hard for Gooden to learn much and be effective when the backup PG position is so bad. Maybe timvp is right about waiting for Manu.

Brazil
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I think we all agree nobody understands what Pop is doing with Hill and Gooden, nobody. At the beginning I thought it was because I'm not an expert on bb stuff but after reading threads after threads nobody understands shit about what Pop is doing.

loveforthegame
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I think Gooden will be more effective when he can play with Manu out there. Or if he can play with some starters.

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Gooden's defense is awful right now and Hill's offensive acuity is nowhere to be found. The Mason experiment needs to see it's end, though, to be completely frank.

crc21209
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I think that Hill and Gooden will benefit the most of the return of Manu. Because Manu we'll be out there with the 2nd team and creating and taking away some of the attention/pressure off of Hill/Gooden.

benefactor
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I think Gooden will be more effective when he can play with Manu out there. Or if he can play with some starters.
I was thinking this the whole time he was in there. Mason and Hill look shaky at best running the pick and roll.

superbigtime
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I think Pop is doing a poor coaching job with these two. We are not getting the most out of them. Pop needs to let Gooden show what he can do. Let him play for 8 minutes straight Pop and play him in both halves of the game and quit sticking him only with the scrubs. As for Hill, that kid is now so confused and you can put that squarely on Pop. He has shuffled him all over the place. He looked so great at the beginning of the year.

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
True offensively... but defensively in Gooden's case, honey doesn't do that much for the taste of garbage.

Chomag
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Gooden has never been a good defender and everyone knew that upon signing him. That was the main reason why I question the whole signing of him in the first place. Why some seem so surprised when he is not defending well is beyond me. I hope Pop is not benching him all because of that because he knew much more then we did when he signed him to the team.

However, maybe Pop just thought he could coach him into playing good defense and it's just not panning out to how he in-visioned it. Other then that I can not figure out what Pop is thinking. Maybe he has just lost all his marbles this year.

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm not surprised by Drew's poor defensive rotations...but Gooden will get meaningful minutes Pop's way.

timvp
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Gooden still sucked at defense but his defense was an improvement over his last two outing. The last two times out, he played defense like a chicken with its head cut off. Tonight he played defense like a chicken who escaped a butcher because the knife was just a bit too dull.

Brazil
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Gooden still sucked at defense but his defense was an improvement over his last two outing. The last two times out, he played defense like a chicken with its head cut off. Tonight he played defense like a chicken who escaped a butcher because the knife was just a bit too dull.

:lmao:lmao

superbigtime

And Tony played offense like the butcher!

Duncan2177
I think Pop is doing a poor coaching job with these two. We are not getting the most out of them. Pop needs to let Gooden show what he can do. Let him play for 8 minutes straight Pop and play him in both halves of the game and quit sticking him only with the scrubs. As for Hill, that kid is now so confused and you can put that squarely on Pop. He has shuffled him all over the place. He looked so great at the beginning of the year.

I agree 100%

MannyIsGod
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
How could you all not expect this from Gooden? I mean anyone who has watched Gooden play in the past new what he was.

timvp
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
How could you all not expect this from Gooden? I mean anyone who has watched Gooden play in the past new what he was.Truth. It wasn't an accident Gooden was regarded as one of the worst defensive bigs in the league prior to the acquisition.

Obviously the hope is he can learn the D just enough to allow his rebounding and scoring to be an asset. But I'll believe that when I see it.

superbigtime
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
I expect more than this, that's for sure!

Solid D
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Well played. :tu

45 bank shot
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
ye he definitely needs to improve defence, but how come pop won't set up some low-post game for him when hez probably one of the best offensive options in the game when Timmy was on the bench

DespЏrado
03-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Gooden wasn't half bad tonight on either end of the floor. Hopefully he's coming around, and I pray Pop gives him some run with Duncan in the game.

Hill and Mason desperately need Manu to come back. Neither one of them excel at the point. But I would go back to letting Hill play some point. He needs to play that position to succeed in the NBA. Whether he sinks or swims is up to him.

tomtom
03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Pops is a fool, not giving more mins to Gooden and Hill will cost us down the road. Why did we even sign Gooden if hes not gonna play. Anyone is better than Bonner and Hill is much better than JV.

Hes gonna screw Hill up just like he did Beno!

POPS is a beast! Haha. Pop on the other hand is questionable...

Anyways I really do hope that Hill gets to go back to the point once Manu returns, Mason simply is not cutting it and well I'm sure we don't want to see a lot of JV in the playoffs

45 bank shot
03-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Pops is a fool, not giving more mins to Gooden and Hill will cost us down the road. Why did we even sign Gooden if hes not gonna play. Anyone is better than Bonner and Hill is much better than JV.

Hes gonna screw Hill up just like he did Beno!
well bonner can at least spread the floor. but the thing is that pop is not givin gooden his most comfortable offensive game.
About hill, I think pop will have some mercy in him cuz at least he plays better D than Beno and Hill might come in handy coming playoff time defending a tough perimeter scorer

SequSpur
03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not surprised by Drew's poor defensive rotations...but Gooden will get meaningful minutes Pop's way.

i see you managed to peak your head outside the express news back sports page and watch a fuckin game for a change...

congrats...

45 bank shot
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
i see you managed to peak your head outside the express news back sports page and watch a fuckin game for a change...

congrats...

lol sequ

45 bank shot
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
another game for hill in the doghouse.
is that partly because he pissed off pop by blowin by him?

SpursDynasty
03-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Nothing to question. CIA Pop

BackHome
03-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I think it is hard on Gooden to come in at the end of a season and start playing like he has been here all year. I do think that with him and Manu they can do some damage.

As far as Hill yeah he was playing pretty decent early but at the end of the season is a different type of ball being played. I just don't think he is ready for it and few players in their first year are.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
GOODEN, a big man on the spurs, CAN ACTUALLY POST UP!

holy shit!

If you guys and Pop are too stupid to see the importance that will bring in the playoffs...to hell with you!

The Spurs will just have to sacrifice the minutes of their go-to defensive Juggernaut Bonner, and give gooden some mo minutes.

jag
03-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Beno might have been a bitch when he was in SA...but he came in with a lot of promise. I hope and pray Pop doesn't mentally destroy Hill like he did with Beno.

Spursmania
03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I think Hill is mentally tougher than Beno. Hill's college coach talks so much about his will, determination and heart. Whatever Beno is now, he was soft when he played with the Spurs. I remember cringing when he would get the ball especially when we were playing Detroit in the playoffs. I mean the Pistons had Beno for lunch.

No, I think Pop did a great job with Parker and Hill will be another great PG. Pop will not bring him down because Hill is a winner-you can see it in his face and his determination.

Spursmania
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Forgot to mention Gooden. I hope Pop plays Gooden a shit load of minutes now. We need him to make all his mistakes now, and to at least feel like he fits into the rotations comfortably. To put him in for 7 minutes a game is worthless.

Pop being the great coach that he is must recognize this and should find a way to bring the best out of Gooden. However, I have been disappointed in how he's played him thus far. I'm no coach nor do I claim to know more than Pop, but hell, why did we even get Gooden if Pop wasn't going to use him in the playoffs? The guy has been a starter all his career and was in the finals in 2007. Please don't tell me Pop can't figure out where to play him to get the most productivity out of him. You're better than that Pop.

Flux451
03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I am excited to watch the Manu, Gooden relationship grow. Looks like they could match up well...especially with Gooden driving and good passing (with occasionally meltdown).
I can foresee the second unit getting to line more then first.

Hill looks like he may be watching a lot this playoffs. I hope not, but we have a strong team this year and might hard to crack the rotation. It's all good. A lot of other teams' coaches don't even use there whole bench. At least Pop has given him a lot of PT this year.

RiverwalkParade
03-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I look forward to seeing Gooden out there with Bonner and Parker. It seems that almost every game that Duncan is out (except the Cavs game) Parker has gone off. With Bonner being the 3point threat that he is and Gooden being able to knock down the 15-18 footer, the lane opens up for Parker when those two are in the game with him. Sure defense suffers, but Tony will light it up with those guys.

AussieFanKurt
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I think we saw at the start of the season that Hill had offensive skills.

Booharv
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I think we all agree nobody understands what Pop is doing with Hill and Gooden, nobody. At the beginning I thought it was because I'm not an expert on bb stuff but after reading threads after threads nobody understands shit about what Pop is doing.