PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Warriors Game)

duncan228
03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
The rest of the recap and video isn't up yet. I'll link it when it's up.

Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090324.html)

Gregg Popovich

On the game - "Well, it's a win. It has obviously been a rough patch recently but tonight we were able to sustain offensively. Golden State is a very high scoring team. Down the stretch we played good, better than the Houston game. There were very few errors on defense and we fortunately we ended up with the win."

On Tim Duncan - "Having Tim back on the floor on great, to go through him on offense is good. He is like a quarterback on the floor the way he can see the court and score as well. He played limited minutes in the first half by design."

On Roger Mason's game winning basket - "We just waited for the play to work. It was a good shot by Roger. I thought Roger and Tim executed the play very well."

On Kurt Thomas - "Kurt was big tonight on defense and is a good defender. That's why he was in the game on the last play – to make sure that Ellis or anyone else didn't get an easy shot."

Roger Mason Jr.

On the Spurs last play - "Out of the timeout, coach (Gregg Popovich) drew up the play for Tony (Parker) and the other option was myself. Tim (Duncan) came off and got me a good screen and I got some separation and I was able to knock it down."

On if he tried to get the shot off in time for a two-for-one - "No, not really. I wasn't even concerned with that. I just wanted to make sure I took my time, got a good look and didn't miss the shot."

On getting his stroke back - "As a shooter you always feel good. Sometimes, with life as a shooter, you don't make shots. Nobody ever went 100%. I just wanted to continue to be aggressive and my mindset coming in to this game was nothing offensive. It was all about defending and just trying to play with energy."

On finally getting a win in a close game - "Definitely a relief. Those last few games stung. We have nobody to blame but ourselves. Tonight, we got a huge stop and Kurt (Thomas) got a huge rebound. We had some encouraging things, we're happy with the win and now tomorrow we have a big one."

Kurt Thomas

On the game - "It was a big win. We've been on a tough slide here the last couple games. You've got to give Golden State credit. They fought all the way to the end but we were fortunate enough that we were able to pull it out at the end."

On getting the big rebound at the end - "I was just out there playing and just doing what I can to help the team get a win. W were fortunate enough that we got a stop and I was able to get a rebound but the unfortunate thing was that I blew two free throws on the other end. But we were able to come down and get a stop."

On facing Atlanta next - "We're definitely going to have to be focused. Atlanta's a great team. They've been playing great all year long. They have a lot of athletic guys. Joe Johnson is a tremendous player so we're definitely going to have to bring our A game."

Warriors Head Coach Don Nelson

On the game - "I thought we played our hearts out. Compared to the last time we played here we have taken giant steps in the right direction. They made a big shot at the end and we didn't. It's as simple as that."

On Tim Duncan - "At least we made them play with Duncan. We forced them to put him back in the game so they had to beat us with their best."

On the final play - "If you're wondering why I didn't take a time out there at the end with just 5 seconds left it's because I thought we could forced them to keep their big center in the game. But then I thought we shot the ball a little quickly for that situation. With five seconds left I thought we could at least try and get a little penetration and a higher percentage shot, but that is what he decided to do in that situation."

On Anthony Randolph - "Anthony Randolph just keeps getting better every day. I still don't think he's completely recovered from that groin injury and might even have tweaked it again tonight. But he's exciting to watch and brings the kind of energy we are going to need to keep competing."

Monta Ellis

On if he thinks he got fouled on his last shot - "I get fouled on all my shots. That wasn't the reason we lost the game."

On playing against Tony Parker all night - "Basketball. That's what we do. We go out and compete."

On why they waited on that last shot - "That's what I really thought we were going to go for the last shot. Then he came and set the screen so early. I was wide open when I went off the screen, but I thought we were waiting for the last shot."

On competing in a close game with the Spurs - "That says a lot about our team. We didn't have our full roster and we still went out and competed. It was just a learning experience for us. If we got out and play hard we can compete with anybody in this league."

Stephen Jackson

On the last two minutes of the game - "I think it was a great game. It came down to the last shot. That's what you want when you're playing against a great team on the road. Kurt missed those two free throws and we got a chance to win the game. We fought hard and we made plays. I think for the fans it was nice to see two of the best point guards in the league go at it in Tony and Monta. It was a good tough game, we just couldn't pull it out."

On the Spurs play recently - "It's kinda hard without Ginobili. He's a big part of their team offensively and defensively. I think guys are going to have to step up. The Spurs are going to do what they need to do to get the job done. They go through slumps sometimes. They are human. I think at the end of the day they'll be ready to play in the playoffs and I think that's what they're looking forward to."

On their defense down the stretch - "We turned it up. We got a little scrappy. I had a little miscommunication on that last shot, but I think for the most part we played good, hard defense. Good one-on-one defense. We just didn't make the last shot to win the game."

On not calling a timeout after Kurt missed his second free throw - "We had C.J. and Monta in the game and we wanted to try and push it and catch them off guard. Coach didn't want them getting their center in game to contest our layups. We just wanted to see if we could get it out and get a quick shot. It didn't fall for us."

Spur|n|Austin
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Stephen Jackson

On the last two minutes of the game - "I think it was a great game. It came down to the last shot. That's what you want when you're playing against a great team on the road. Kurt missed those two free throws and we got a chance to win the game. We fought hard and we made plays. I think for the fans it was nice to see two of the best point guards in the league go at it in Tony and Monta. It was a good tough game, we just couldn't pull it out."

JAX wtf is this shit, 2 of the best pgs? MONTA should not have his name mention in the same sentence with BEST. :nope
JAX whatever happen to makin love to pressure, you nearly had us there untill you premature ejaculated on that last play.....

tp2021
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Monta kinda comes off as a dick. Don't know if he has a legitimate reason to be pissed; I missed the game.

spursdotcom
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Video is here - http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/090324.html

SequSpur
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Video is here - http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/090324.html

thanks dusty

Mavs<Spurs
03-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the post Duncan 228.

POP saying that Tim's limited minutes was by design.

Yeah, we kind of figured that it wasn't by accident because you forgot that Tim was there.

But why did he design to do that?

There are maybe at least 6 possibilities that I've got and I'm sure that there are others. I sure would like that the answers to these questions but I am also sure that they won't be coming at all or any time soon.

Was it because he didn't want to play Tim big minutes in this game for its sake alone to prevent further injury?

Was it because he didn't want Tim to play big minutes in this game because he didn't think that Tim could play effectively in the latter stages of the game if he played his normal full complement of minutes?

Was it because Tim was feeling worse immediately before the game?

Was it because he plans on playing Tim in the next game and doesn't believe that Tim could play well in the next game against Atlanta if he plays significant minutes in this game?

Is he just trying to rest Tim as much as possible?

Or was he just matching up with the Warriors?

:wakeup:flag:

at least we won !!!

duncan228
03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
POP saying that Tim's limited minutes was by design.

Yeah, we kind of figured that it wasn't by accident because you forgot that Tim was there.

But why did he design to do that?

There are maybe at least 6 possibilities that I've got and I'm sure that there are others. I sure would like that the answers to these questions but I am also sure that they won't be coming at all or any time soon.

McDonald says the plan was for Duncan to "take it easy."

The story here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120643

Mavs<Spurs
03-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Jax has played outstanding ball this season and easily been the best player for the warriors and I don't think that there is any doubt about that. It's also surprising to see the leadership from him that he has shown this year. He has been very unselfish and set up his teammates and that's why he's averaging 6 assists per game. I think that he really put it all together after that great series he had against the Mavericks in 2007. He carried the team in game 6 when Baron was injured and he's been a major clutch player.

:toast

Mavs<Spurs
03-25-2009, 12:32 AM
McDonald says the plan was for Duncan to "take it easy."

The story here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120643

thanks, Duncan228 !

And probably because this one is a back to back, right?

I'm not getting my dates mixed up for this also am I ?

crc21209
03-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Monta kinda comes off as a dick. Don't know if he has a legitimate reason to be pissed; I missed the game.

He does come off as a dick. "I get fouled on all my shots." Shut up Monta, you're not god's gift to basketball.

duncan228
03-25-2009, 12:35 AM
thanks, Duncan228 !

And probably because this one is a back to back, right?

I'm not getting my dates mixed up for this also am I ?

:lol Nope, you've got it.

I don't expect to see Duncan at the Hawks. But maybe if he feels good he'll see limited minutes like the plan was supposed to be tonight.

Knowing Pop, we won't see him. I just hope Duncan does feel good.

texasmade006
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
roger masonnnnnnnnn so clutch. the new robert horry.

spursdotcom
03-25-2009, 01:36 AM
thanks dusty

I don't even know anyone named dusty, but you're welcome.

:toast

Baseline
03-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I don't think we'll be seeing Duncan in uniform against the Hawks. I think he'll be watching the Hawks game at The Clubhouse at Lenox Mall with the Chuckster. I've hung out with Chuck a few times there - it's one of the joints where he holds court in the ATL. Across the street from the Ritz Carlton on Peachtree.