PDA

View Full Version : DPG's Game Ponderings

DPG21920
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
I did go to the game tonight (thanks Ryvin) and I have a few observations:

As mentioned before, Pops rotations are all out of whack. I have some thoughts on this though:

- You can not really blame Pop for some of this. He had to plan for the distinct possibility that he would not have Manu for the playoffs. He had to tinker with multitude of different line-up combination's and see what he had and who can handle what.

- He has gone too far with some of the experiments though. Mason is clearly not the answer at point guard, no matter the match-up, no matter who you put him out there with. Teams have adjusted to him and Pop needs to adjust. At this point, if you are going to fail, fail with Hill. Hill struggled tonight, but Mason has failed as well. If that is the case, go with youth and defense and that is what Hill brings.

The team seemed to coast again tonight. It was strange to see Tim's minutes monitored. It almost seemed as if Pop started Tim, thought he could win the game without him, and then had to re-insert Tim in order to exploit match-ups. It makes me wonder what the plan is for Tim tomorrow??

- Tim looked slow to start (movement wise, not effectiveness against small line-up wise) then it was kind of like he knew he would be playing limited minutes. Tim completely dominated the game in the 2nd half though. Turiaf had no answer for him, and with Rappin' Biedrins out, the Warriors did not have the size to match-up. Spurs did not play big though, so it negated any advantage.

Thank God for Tony Parker. What a quiet, solid game (especially assists wise). You could see him scoring easily every time he was in the game, but you hardly noticed him setting up the offense so smoothly.

- The Spurs were pretty much getting to where ever they wanted on the floor. It was a pretty simple plan; screen off the first defender, then you can decide what you want: pull up jumper, drive to the rim or pass to open man.

- Credit to the Warriors they played with good energy, did not get rattled and kept making timely shots/plays.

All-in-all, it was a win. Not the most impressive, but a necessary win. We will see how they respond tomorrow against a tougher team on the road. I really wonder what the rotations will be and it will be interesting to see if Tim plays considering how he was used this evening. The energy was fairly good for a Tuesday night game and the team seemed in good spirits except for the moments where they made some silly turnovers (especially Tim when Azubuike stole it for the lead with 30 seconds left).

I had fun and enjoyed my time with my fellow Spurs fans, wish you guys were there with me.

Manu-of-steel
03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
thanx dude. we all hope the spurs bring their A-game tomorrow against the hawks. we need to win that game. manu will be playing after being sidelined, although with limited minutes.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-25-2009, 06:34 AM
I did go to the game tonight (thanks Ryvin) and I have a few observations:

As mentioned before, Pops rotations are all out of whack. I have some thoughts on this though:

- You can not really blame Pop for some of this. He had to plan for the distinct possibility that he would not have Manu for the playoffs. He had to tinker with multitude of different line-up combination's and see what he had and who can handle what.

Good observation.
It would be amateurish for Pop to not plan around that, and have no plan B if worse came to worse (knock on wood)

Anyway, cool that you went to the game and it probably had a different vibe there, but that game was weird .
It was a nailbiter, yet it wasn't supposed to be...
Mason pretty much acted as a pressure release valve and prevented another fan meltdown, and the victory buzz was all but forgotten because that would have been the Spurs 4th loss in 5 games.

DPG21920
03-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Good observation.
It would be amateurish for Pop to not plan around that, and have no plan B if worse came to worse (knock on wood)

Anyway, cool that you went to the game and it probably had a different vibe there, but that game was weird .
It was a nailbiter, yet it wasn't supposed to be...
Mason pretty much acted as a pressure release valve and prevented another fan meltdown, and the victory buzz was all but forgotten because that would have been the Spurs 4th loss in 5 games.

The game did not have a weird feeling there to be honest. The energy in the arena was pretty good and the Spurs looked like they were coasting. It was a little worrisome that they could never pull away, but the entire game was like that.

It never looked like the Spurs were out of control, it just looked like they played exactly hard enough to win. No more, no less.

Ryvin1
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Great input.. man wish I could have gone.

Blake
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
It's pretty clear Tim is still not 100% and since they have a back to back, it's no surprise to see him get 24 minutes.

Pop is still fudging with rotations for the playoffs. He wants to see how much Mason can give him at the PG spot.

If this the last game and was win or die, he probably would stick Vaughn in there instead of Mason or Hill.

DPG21920
03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
It's pretty clear Tim is still not 100% and since they have a back to back, it's no surprise to see him get 24 minutes.

Pop is still fudging with rotations for the playoffs. He wants to see how much Mason can give him at the PG spot.

If this the last game and was win or die, he probably would stick Vaughn in there instead of Mason or Hill.

Well it did not look like the plan was to give him 24 minutes. I think Pop wanted to rest Tim the entire game, but could not due to the fact the Spurs could not pull away.

He did want to win this game, which is why he put Tim back. I think that he wanted to play Tim tonight instead.

StoneBuddha
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Well it did not look like the plan was to give him 24 minutes. I think Pop wanted to rest time the entire game, but could not due to the fact the Spurs could not pull away.

He did want to win this game, which is why he put Tim back. I think that he wanted to play Tim tonight instead.

Yeah, I was following the game on-line. First, I was a little surprised Duncan played at all and then I was worried he had gotten hurt (worse) since he only logged 7(?) minutes in the first half. Kind of a head scratcher.

I went home and watched the game on Tivo and he looked pretty good in the second half. I seem to recall Turiaf playing Duncan fairly well in previous matchups, so I was really happy with how well Tim played in the 4th period.

I've seen little blurbs where Duncan has said things are getting better, so I'm trying to remain hopeful. Maybe he's coming around again, and he we might get the Duncan we need for the playoffs. The 21 he scored last night was much more impressive than the 23 he got in Houston.

:flag: