PDA

View Full Version : OnLive New console

Typhoon
03-25-2009, 02:38 AM
All I have to say holy shit, if they deliver, it's over... :toast

from gamespot.com

Imagine playing a computer game without any hassles. Drivers, troubleshooting, installations, compatibility, performance--all thrown out the window. Upgrading? A thing of the past. All you have to do is click on the game, and seconds later, you're playing. That's what OnLive will deliver. Should it work half as well as advertised, expect to see the gaming world thrown into upheaval by a box no bigger than a deck of playing cards. The story gets even more unbelievable when you factor in price. According to company reps, OnLive intends to significantly undercut every existing console on the market.

At its core, OnLive is a subscription service similar to cable TV or Netflix. In other respects, OnLive is what you get when you pump something like YouTube full of steroids. Instead of just watching a pile of videos, you're streaming gameplay at HDTV resolutions and controlling your character in real time. You get Crysis on your HDTV at the highest-quality settings--run by a computer that's hundreds of miles from your doorstep. It's really no wonder Rearden Labs spent the better part of a decade perfecting and designing OnLive.

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 02:40 AM
a similar concept came out back circa '00. it was built with linux as the OS and it was going to be all online and a pay-per-download of each game subscription type thing but it all fell apart and never came to be. i forget the name of it.

i gotta check this OnLive thing out though.

Spurtacus
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-tech-could-make-consoles-obsolete/1299562

http://l.yimg.com/jh/content/p/4/1299799/screen001.jpg

Spurtacus
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Sounds promising. I wonder if there will be chat capability and online play? Shit, if I can play WoW on this I might come out of retirement.

Heath Ledger
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
It's called Vapor Ware much like a concept car. These things never hit the damn market.

Slydragon
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
You think ISPs are considering putting caps on the Internet now, you be damn stupid to think this will not help them make up there mind on that.

sabar
03-25-2009, 11:23 PM
You think ISPs are considering putting caps on the Internet now, you be damn stupid to think this will not help them make up there mind on that.

lol that's exactly what I was thinking. People streaming HD content for hours, the bandwidth costs would be huge to the ISP.

spurs_50_21
04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
im going to check this out ,on there site you can register for there open beta but i dont expect to get it i only have regular dsl

Heath Ledger
04-11-2009, 03:56 AM
This is much akin to the Discover console it was supposed to be the next big thing and never ever did shit. Forget about it this shit will never hit the market.