PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel Hollinger's statistical analysis shit is getting annoying?

Donkeybong
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I mean I agree that lebron is currently the favorite to win MVP, but do we need all these bullshit numbers and formulas made up by this guy to validate that? I can't stand opening espn and looking at his balled-ass head, while he blows a load all over himself about creating a new basketball theorem and claiming he's some basketball analysis god.

DeadlyDynasty
03-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I mean I agree that lebron is currently the favorite to win MVP, but do we need all these bullshit numbers and formulas made up by this guy to validate that? I can't stand opening espn and looking at his balled-ass head, while he blows a load all over himself about creating a new basketball theorem and claiming he's some basketball analysis god.

He definitely looks like some dude you'd see on To Catch a Predator.
"So Mr. Hollinger, if you really didn't plan on having sex with her than why did you bring a box of condoms and a bottle of lube?"

lefty
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
HollinPer is the worst ESPN has to offer.

And that's not a compliment.

Didn't he said SPurs wouldn't make the playoffs, based on his PER ?

What - the - fuck

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
"So Mr. Hollinger, if you really didn't plan on having sex with her than why did you bring a box of condoms and a bottle of lube?"

I was going to say his creepy baldness and pedo-pic make me sick, but you beat me to it.

DeadlyDynasty
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I was going to say his creepy baldness and pedo-pic make me sick, but you beat me to it.

no doubt his ESPN pic is scary...dude has the pedo-smile

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I saw him in person at the D-League All-Star Game in Phoenix, but he was only molesting Steve Kerr, not children.

DeadlyDynasty
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I saw him in person at the D-League All-Star Game in Phoenix, but he was only molesting Steve Kerr, not children.

his ankle bracelet probably wouldn't let him get within 100 yards of one

JoeTait75
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
He's better than that douchebag Henry "Beldar" Abbott.

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
At least we don't have to see Abbott's photo all the time.

Don Quixote
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Diss Hollinger all you want, but I guarantee you that NBA front offices take his work seriously.

Bob Lanier
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Police departments took the work of phrenologists seriously not too long ago.

RonMexico
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Diss Hollinger all you want, but I guarantee you that NBA front offices take his work seriously.

I don't understand how you - as a Spur fan - could take that stance when your own team traded away a talented player (Luis Scola) because they were afraid it would disrupt chemistry. That isn't something Hollinger's analysis can measure, but what intelligent minds in Buford and Popovich were able to do.

In fact, any of Hollinger's meaningful analysis (if such exists) is reactionary, where he manipulates stats and figures to explain why things have already happened. How many times have his predictions been wrong (another apparent example is he predicted Manu would have an incredibly down year last year based on age and a whole host of other items, when he in fact became one of the most valuable fantasy and bench players in the league)?

Spursmania
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM

:lol:lol:lol

ambchang
03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

No way man. The only way that could happen is if he does a lot more serious work that what he shows on ESPN. His analysis are often faulty because of his wild assumptions.

His work, most of time is creating statistics to validate a point he was trying to make. If there are unexpected results, he points to how unbiased his tools are based on those.

If execs fall for that crap, I would get a stats job from any NBA team. I guarantee I can do 10x better in statistical analysis than Hollinger can.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM

This might be dumber than anything SD has ever posted. It must have taken some effort, but job well done.

RedsLakers24
03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
didnt his numbers say Manu was better than Kobe

RedsLakers24
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Poor Hollinger...creating stats to make an argument for discussion. Lebron is a dynamic player and is doing great things this year. But to say how great a player by giving out stats (or PER), is like telling me how beautiful a woman is, by giving me her measurements.

Findog
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
PER is useful for some things, but I don't know that Hollinger is claiming that it is the be all end all. The traditional box score is kind of limiting, and there is a Bill James approach underway in hoops to more accurately evaluate players. Lots of teams are using this approach as an adjunct to traditional scouting methods, not a replacement. Daryl Morey and the Rockets come to mind.