PDA

View Full Version : when is GOODEN going to Break Out??!?!?!

poop
03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
lets analyze Gooden so far. ok he came with high expectations.
first of all, he has only been given limited minutes by pop. BUT, so far, he has had only one decent game so far, that game in houston where he debuted his post moves and scored like what, 10 or so points and 6-7 rb in a few minutes? that was great. it raised my hopes. but every game since then, he has flubbed shots, looks nervous, LACKS CONFIDENCE, doesnt assert himself on offense, doesnt defend very well or contest shots in the paint at all, and has had many boneheaded turnovers. rebounding has been OK. so...i know he only gets a few minutes per game, and thats pop's doing, but how would you say hes done so far?

Creation88
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
POP has part of the blame for barely playing him and the other blame goes to Roger Mason and his inability to lead a successful 2nd team offense.

Morg1411
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't really expect Gooden to "break out", per se. He's not that kind of player, and never really has been. I still expect him to provide good things for the team, namely good rebounding and stability on the front court when Timmy is on the bench.

So far as grading him, though....uh....hard to say until he actually plays significant minutes. He looks like a rookie out there right now, but the same was being said of Udoka when he was only getting scrap minutes.

sananspursfan21
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTA5g8UF0A4

in the words of shaq: "don't worry bout it"

SenorSpur
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Gooden has been very serviceable and productive player, prior to coming to the Spurs. The Spurs need to do everthing in their power to ensure a smooth transition so that he can succeed here. I believe he could be helping the team more if Pop were willing to live with some of his defensive mistakes. Even though he's a vet, Pop has developed a confidence in that he can trust Gooden in the 2nd halves of games.

For Gooden's part, he needs ensure the effort and commitment is there. That said, don't expect him to break out until next year - assuming he's still here.

Flux451
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM
he is in prison????
pimples???

You will find your answer to your own question in your second sentence. He has only been given limited minutes.

So far, his rebounding is better then Bonners and he plays way more mpg. So, its not exactly ok.
That's one thing that we needed when considering an aspect in a big earlier this season. Now we got. Now he has to learn the system. We all know he is not the brightest of players, so it may take a bit.

Solid D
03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/neuronetics2_f.jpg

The process will take just a little while longer. Just relax.

Spurtacus
03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Perhaps tonight if Timmy doesn't play. Pop is easing him into the rotation.

MrChug
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't think the expectations were that high...he's a just a good all around player.

Wait, minus D and minus passing...so maybe not ALL-AROUND, maybe like a semi-circle.

sananspursfan21
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
exactly, its hard fpr new player to pick up Pops quirks and lack of minutes early on. Just ask Kurt Thomas took him a year. Gooden has shown flashes of what he can be- a 15 point 10 rebound guy if given 30 minutes something KT , oberto, and bonnor will never give us consistently.

Dumfuck Pop wont figure it out and Gooden signing will be a waste as Pop will blame drew and not resign him in offseason.

ready to stop talking about how you think popovich is an idiot? no real spurs fan seems to agree with you...

crc21209
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Stick Gooden out there with TD or Thomas, and I think Pop can live with some of his defensive errors since TD or Thomas can cover them up. Do it Pop!

DPG21920
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Gooden starts tonight.

exstatic
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Next year, if he re-signs.

45 bank shot
03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
good all around performance by gooden tonite

Spursmania
03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/neuronetics2_f.jpg

The process will take just a little while longer. Just relax.

Isn't that the truth.lol...:lol

tonylongoriafan
03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Next year, if he re-signs.

after the all star game next year

SouthTexasRancher
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
first of all, he has only been given limited minutes by pop. BUT, so far, he has had only one decent game so far, that game in houston where he debuted his post moves and scored like what, 10 or so points and 6-7 rb in a few minutes? that was great. it raised my hopes. but every game since then, he has flubbed shots, looks nervous, LACKS CONFIDENCE, doesnt assert himself on offense, doesnt defend very well or contest shots in the paint at all, and has had many boneheaded turnovers. rebounding has been OK. so...i know he only gets a few minutes per game, and thats pop's doing, but how would you say hes done so far?

Good grief, dude. Give the guy a chance. I suppose you think you could solve the world's economic woes in 3 weeks. The Spurs have the most complicated defensive and offensive schemes in the NBA and you expect him to be Michael Jordan in less that a month. He will be fine come playoff time and he will be instrumental in a couple victories.

superbigtime
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
ready to stop talking about how you think popovich is an idiot? no real spurs fan seems to agree with you...

I think plenty of people see eye to eye with many of JoeyThief's observations. The guy is obviously a "real Spur fan." Pop has definitely governed with an unsteady hand this year with no PJ on the sideline. I choose the team over the coach any day, every day.

Danny.Zhu
03-26-2009, 01:26 AM
He should be in the bench and comes on court with Manu.

DynastyBuilder
03-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Friday vs the Clipps

kskonn
03-26-2009, 01:35 AM
He should be in the bench and comes on court with Manu.

I agree with this. I think once Gooden and Manu play together a little we will see a more effective Gooden. Mason seems to struggle getting other people involved when he is the primary ball handler on the floor. Not complaining about mason just think Ginobli in that roll will pay dividends for Gooden. Just like it does for Fab.

urunobili
03-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I think he is doing gr8 for the time given... we need him to be more comfortable witht he system come playoff time.. he'll be aight...

Agloco
03-26-2009, 07:48 AM

That was his MO coming in. Some of the more experienced followers of the NBA knew that all too well.......

Hence all of the sarcastic comments bout him being a savior. Too many high expectations from him period, much less this year.

benefactor
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
He has done OK so far considering all the circumstances. It's unrealistic to think he will have some sort of transformation where he suddenly becomes a 30/15 player. He has already shown his value scoring and rebounding, so if he can at least stay in the way of his man on defense(like he did last night) and get some chemistry with Manu then he will be exactly what we need for the post season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
When Pop gives him enough minutes, either off the bench exploiting the opposition's backup bigs if Tim's playing, or as a starter for Tim.

Why Pop didn't put him on and go to him in the third quarter during that 13-2 run I'll never know. He had 9/4 halfway through the 2nd then got ignored the rest of the way. WTF???

sgueou
03-26-2009, 08:23 AM
hopefully for the PO

Spursone
03-26-2009, 08:48 AM
:wakeupI think expectations were set to high for him. He has size and skill, but he is lacking "court sense", he seems uncomfortable in his role. What is his Role? Solution play him more and if he doesn't produce, sit his ass down. I still like Kurt Thomas better. Hopefully the breakout happens before the playoffs!:downspin:

m33p0
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
you could pretty much substitute mason for gooden in your post since that's how mason's year with the spurs have gone so far, albeit, more condensed in gooden's case.