PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Reassign Hairston To Austin

Spurs Brazil
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have assigned guard Malik Hairston to the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team owned and operated by the Spurs.

Hairston appeared in 15 games with San Antonio where he averaged 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in 10.3 minutes. He was recalled by the Spurs from Austin on 1/31. In 23 games for the Toros this season, the 6-6, 215-lb. Hairston averaged 21.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 40.6 minutes. Hairston was named D-League Performer of the Week on 12/22 after helping lead the Toros to three straight wins while averaging 24.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 4.3 assists.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58107/20090325/spurs_reassign_hairston_to_austin/

exstatic
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Not a huge surprise. With Manu back and Udoka playing well, he's just going to sit.

Chomag
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm sad to see him go there, but as long as Pop is in charge he wasnt going to see any daylight anyway.

On the brightside he still can keep sharpinging up his game there.

exstatic
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Pop didn't keep him on the bench, his lack of any semblance of a jump shot did. If he works with Chip this summer, he may crack the rotation next year, but wings and guards on this team MUST be able to space the floor for Tim. Jumping high isn't enough.

loveforthegame
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Not surprising. He'll get the playing time in Austin which is what he needs at this time.

Spursfan092120
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
pop didn't keep him on the bench, his lack of any semblance of a jump shot did. If he works with chip this summer, he may crack the rotation next year, but wings and guards on this team must be able to space the floor for tim. Jumping high isn't enough.
+1

superbigtime
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Should have brought him into the fold much earlier in the season. I feel like we are really settling in going with Ime but hopefully he will give consistent play from here forward.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Pop didn't keep him on the bench, his lack of any semblance of a jump shot did.

How many jump shots should he be taking in a game? If you're counting on him to score, much less score from outside the paint, you're completely missing the message.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2009, 02:16 PM
I would be surprised if he isn't in the rotation next year..his jump shot should be better after working with Spurs coaches in the off-season..he looks good everywhere else..

his individual D has been solid..he's very athletic..fearless at the rim..

VI_Massive
03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I would be surprised if he isn't in the rotation next year..his jump shot should be better after working with Spurs coaches in the off-season..he looks good everywhere else..

I like all that stuff about him, but I'm worried we're too crowded in the "smaller wing player" department. I'd like to see us find someone a bit bigger -- more of a true 3.

SenorSpur
03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

+1

Have a good offseason and we'll see him in the rotation next year.

timvp
03-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I like all that stuff about him, but I'm worried we're too crowded in the "smaller wing player" department. I'd like to see us find someone a bit bigger -- more of a true 3.Hairston may be short but he's thick and can jump so he plays bigger. He's probably the best weakside shotblocker on the team outside of Duncan.

Whether Hairston makes it will probably depend on if he can add a three-pointer to his repertoire and whether he can speed up his processing on the defensive end. Pop decided to end the Hairston experiment this year mostly due to slow rotations.

urunobili
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I think it'll be good for his development to go again and get extended minutes in Austin...

i am VERY confident on his chances to crack the rotation next year and if him and Gist both make it.. I'm ready to sign off and say that this is one of the best ever drafts pick selections ever made by RC and Pop of american prospects not counting #1 picks... :tu

Go Malik hope you comeback soon!

Ditty
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Hairiston > Ariza

VI_Massive
03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Hairston may be short but he's thick and can jump so he plays bigger. He's probably the best weakside shotblocker on the team outside of Duncan.

Whether Hairston makes it will probably depend on if he can add a three-pointer to his repertoire and whether he can speed up his processing on the defensive end. Pop decided to end the Hairston experiment this year mostly due to slow rotations.

I think he's a bit too slow laterally to make up for his lack of size. Plus he doesn't have a lot of length to help compensate.

I like the guy a lot, I really do, but with Manu, Mason, Hill, Bowen, and Finley all on the payroll for next season (Finley with a qualifying offer) and Udoka looking to be more in Pop's favor, I just don't see a spot for a small wing player.

Instead, I'd like to see us go after a true 3 via trade or something. Gist and Pops are both undersized 4s and maybe they have the quickness to guard a 3, but I'm not sure.

SenorSpur
03-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Hairston may be short but he's thick and can jump so he plays bigger. He's probably the best weakside shotblocker on the team outside of Duncan.

So had Hairston demonstrated consistency in his defensive rotations, do you think that would have been enough for him to have remained on the active roster - even getting some PT ahead of Udoka?

D-ROB 50
03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Sad to see him go but it had to be done. really liked the way he rebounded and got above the rim. Did not know he was a leaper.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Well this is good news for the Toros. They have eight games in which to figure out a rotation before the playoffs.

Bruno
03-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Toros have also waived Dermarr Johnson. :wow

ChumpDumper
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Johnson was out of shape and pretty much just taking up space. They could sure use another big man if Eric Dawson is going to be out an extended time.

Ocotillo
03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Pop decided to end the Hairston experiment this year mostly due to slow rotations.

Actually, I can report with confidence he was sent down due to the psychological scarring he got from been posterized during "the kiss".

exstatic
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
How many jump shots should he be taking in a game? If you're counting on him to score, much less score from outside the paint, you're completely missing the message.

I guess I'm "completely missing the message" then, because he has to be able to hit enough jumpers to keep his man from sitting in Tim's lap on defense. That's a requirement for guards and wings on the Spurs.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it's not even a "nice to have" trait. If he doesn't come out of summer league with a nice 18-20 footer, he doesn't make the club next year.

Obstructed_View
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I guess I'm "completely missing the message" then, because he has to be able to hit enough jumpers to keep his man from sitting in Tim's lap on defense. That's a requirement for guards and wings on the Spurs.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it's not even a "nice to have" trait. If he doesn't come out of summer league with a nice 18-20 footer, he doesn't make the club next year.

Hairston is not getting enough shots in a game that teams are going to just leave him, and he's aggressive in the paint, so you can put him on the opposite side and he can drive to the basket when his defender leaves to double Timmy. Strategically it's not that big a deal, considering the defense he plays. If he's missing rotations, that's another story.

Blackjack
03-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Hairston is not getting enough shots in a game that teams are going to just leave him, and he's aggressive in the paint, so you can put him on the opposite side and he can drive to the basket when his defender leaves to double Timmy. Strategically it's not that big a deal, considering the defense he plays.

:tu

If he's missing rotations, that's another story.

If only he were given the opportunities to miss the amount of rotations blown by some of our wings this year.

The blown rotations have been greatly exaggerated.

Fact of the matter is, Hairston was arguably the best perimeter defender on this team for a stretch there, but his rookie-ness and lack of trust built up with Pop IMHO were bigger reasons for his banishment to the bench and eventual assignment to the Toro's.

Hairston's game against the Wiz (his final game IIRC, ironically) was actually the first time I saw him look comfortable with the offense and actually take and make the kind of mid-range jumpers he's used to taking.

Hairston's size isn't an issue with his impeccable timing, long arms, and athleticism (for those questioning), and his shot, while needing to eventually extend it's range, isn't the liability some like to believe it is.

The guy was lucky to get 1 to 3 jumpshots a game in his limited minutes, so his opportunities were sporadic and unpredictable, to say the least.

The kid's a player, and even if he's got a ways to go and probably wouldn't have been a difference-maker this year, I find it hard to not see him making some noise and carving out a role on this team (or God forbid someone else's) as early as next year.

timvp
03-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Per 40 minutes stats:

Malik Hairston
12.9 points
7.2 rebounds
3.4 assists

Ime Udoka
11.6 points
7.0 rebounds
2.1 assists

Hopefully Pop gives Hairston a chance next year. Going with Udoka over Hairston isn't a horrible decision just based on Udoka's experience. But going forward, Hairston could do everything Udoka can do and more.

But I do agree with Ex that he needs a jumper. He should be able to develop at least a corner three-pointer. He shot well in college and at Austin so it's definitely possible. But without an outside jumper, I don't think he'd fit Pop's vision of the offense.

Blackjack
03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Per 40 minutes stats:

Malik Hairston
12.9 points
7.2 rebounds
3.4 assists

Ime Udoka
11.6 points
7.0 rebounds
2.1 assists

Hopefully Pop gives Hairston a chance next year. Going with Udoka over Hairston isn't a horrible decision just based on Udoka's experience. But going forward, Hairston could do everything Udoka can do and more.

Yeah, it's not a horrible decision to go with Udoka, but it's one lacking upside.

I like Udoka's professionalism, toughness, and physicality, but I just haven't seen enough from him to see him playing a significant enough role against the better teams.

Hairston probably couldn't either, at least this year, but then again... He might've.

Those per numbers are pretty comparable, but I think Malik's limited minutes make them a little misleading.

But I do agree with Ex that he needs a jumper. He should be able to develop at least a corner three-pointer. He shot well in college and at Austin so it's definitely possible. But without an outside jumper, I don't think he'd fit Pop's vision of the offense.

I was pretty skeptical at him being the 3-point threat Pop generally looks for, but Chump seemed to think he was progressing quite nicely with the Toro's IIRC.

I wouldn't put anything passed this kid, or say that he couldn't do anything on the basketball court, but I'd be pretty disappointed in Pop if he couldn't find a way to utilize a player with the amount of talent and the type of unique skill-set he possesses, all because he wasn't the ideal 3-point shooter.

sprrs
03-27-2009, 03:30 AM

Maybe we should send Finley to the D-League to work on his jumper?

ChumpDumper
03-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Finley hits 42% of his three pointers in the NBA. I don't exactly know what more should be expected from him.

Malik hits 0% in the NBA. He shoots them a lot better in the D-League, but not enough of them have come in the normal course of the game to call him reliable there. He does enough things well to keep him on the team, but I don't see a way around his developing a jump shot in order to stick.

tav1
03-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Johnson was out of shape and pretty much just taking up space. They could sure use another big man if Eric Dawson is going to be out an extended time.

Ian Mahinmi?

Flux451
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
I think he's a bit too slow laterally to make up for his lack of size. Plus he doesn't have a lot of length to help compensate.

I like the guy a lot, I really do, but with Manu, Mason, Hill, Bowen, and Finley all on the payroll for next season (Finley with a qualifying offer) and Udoka looking to be more in Pop's favor, I just don't see a spot for a small wing player.

Instead, I'd like to see us go after a true 3 via trade or something. Gist and Pops are both undersized 4s and maybe they have the quickness to guard a 3, but I'm not sure.

I could see Hairston take Bowen's mins in regular season next year.

DPG21920
03-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Finley hits 42% of his three pointers in the NBA. I don't exactly know what more should be expected from him.

Malik hits 0% in the NBA. He shoots them a lot better in the D-League, but not enough of them have come in the normal course of the game to call him reliable there. He does enough things well to keep him on the team, but I don't see a way around his developing a jump shot in order to stick.

Chump, there are plenty of guys who do not have jump shots that stick in the NBA. If he can keep up his rebounding, finishing at the rim, attacking off the dribble and defense, he can stick without becoming a reliable jump shooter imo.

Obviously, being able to knock down 3's at anything higher than 40% would be a huge bonus, but he does have some off the dribble moves.

ChumpDumper
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Ian Mahinmi?I'm not holding my breath.

Chump, there are plenty of guys who do not have jump shots that stick in the NBA. If he can keep up his rebounding, finishing at the rim, attacking off the dribble and defense, he can stick without becoming a reliable jump shooter imo.

Obviously, being able to knock down 3's at anything higher than 40% would be a huge bonus, but he does have some off the dribble moves.He needs to hit them at a higher rate than 0% to keep people from doublling off of him.

yavozerb
03-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey chump,
what do you think so far about demarcus nelson? is he a sg or a pg and does he have an NBA future?

ChumpDumper
03-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey chump,
what do you think so far about demarcus nelson? is he a sg or a pg and does he have an NBA future?He's a shooting guard training to be a combo guard. He's actually like a smaller Hairston as far as his talents and shortcomings go. He's very good at penetrating and defending, but he needs to learn to shoot and run the point. It's too bad that he joined the team so late because it's nearly impossible to develop him at the point guard spot with all the roster turmoil and pressure to win games now. As it is Marcus Williams is playing a ton of point forward.

Hairston's return may or may not help Nelson. A "best five" lineup right now would probably be Squeaky/Nelson/Hairston/Marcus/Jones, but the outside shooting of that group would be a little streaky. I like Nelson and would like to see him on the Spurs' summer league team. He could be another George Hill with a little work; he's got almost exactly the same measurements.

yavozerb
03-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the rundown chump...This group is definatly geared to winning this year!!

Obstructed_View
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
If Pop lets Udoka run the offense some down the stretch and into the playoffs, and if it pays off, the decision to utilize him over Hairston suddenly looks brilliant.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Malik is playing tonight against the Sioux Falls Skyforce, which have Kasib Powell, Bobby Jones, CJ Giles and a couple of Bobcat assignees.

Live link:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26581/500_nba-d-leagueskyforce_071102.asx

ChumpDumper
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Good to see Dawson back. Nelson starts at the point.

AussieFanKurt
03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I think its definitely a good option to stick him in Austin for now and get something going next year
who knows who will leave and a spot might open for him in the solid rotation

exstatic
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Obviously, being able to knock down 3's at anything higher than 40% would be a huge bonus, but he does have some off the dribble moves.

I'll go out on a limb and say that 3/4 of ALL people in the NBA, jumper or not, aren't Spurs material.

As for attacking off the dribble, if they know you have no jumper, they back off and cut off your angle of attack. Being able to do that stuff in college or the d-league doesn't necessarily translate into doing in in the NBA. It's like being a pitcher in AAA ball. You can get by with a good fastball...until you get promoted into the Majors. MLB players need a curveball, or to be able to hit one. NBA wings and guards need a reliable jumper. Most of those hypothetical players you mentioned that stuck without one are probably bigs. On some teams, you can get away with that, since perhaps your offense isn't post based.

spursnatic
03-29-2009, 12:27 PM
That's actually a good thing!!!...They could really use the help down there in Austin, they have been losing a whole lot of games lately..Maybe they will get back on track?....

urunobili
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
sorry for the bump but is the first one i found looking for a Hairston thread..

I think he can defend better than Udoka...

seriously...