PDA

View Full Version : (Yawn) Another "writer" hates the Spurs...

Man of Steel
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Bleacher Report - The Open Source Sports Network
HomeNCAA-BBNFLMLBNBANHLNCAA-FBNASCARMMAFIFAF1TennisWrestlingMore

Five Reasons the San Antonio Spurs Will Fold in the Conference Semifinals
by Kent Calhoun (Contributor) 11152 readsOpinionMarch 25, 2009

Most basketball fans know the Spurs are the NBA’s oldest team, but fans seldom consider the full repercussions of how advanced age affects a total team’s athletic performance.

1) The Spurs play “soft, half-court basketball.”

Spurs do not exert a sustained consistent energy level of effort the entire game. The NBA schedule favored the Spurs against the LA Lakers in 2009, who had to play the Spurs twice on the second game of road back-to-backs. Lakers won one of two and 2009 series.

During the March 12 game's second half, Kobe Bryant drove thru the entire Spurs team, turned in mid-air looking backwards in disbelief no Spur had come within two feet to touch him!

Kobe smiled at the Spurs while dropping the ball into the basket knowing they had ran out of gas.

Lakers took home court advantage in the Western Conference Finals with an easy seven point win. Spurs won’t be in the 2009 finals, not if they face New Orleans first.

During the Tim Duncan/Spurs era, the Spurs have adopted a game plan of not losing games opposed to trying to win each game. When the LA Lakers, Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers are on the court, it is unmistakable those teams are there to play hard-nosed basketball and are seriously determined to win each game.

2) Manu Ginobli and Tim Duncan are constantly injured due to old age.

AUTHOR POLL RESULTS
How Far Will the Spurs Go in 2009?
1) Win it all! NBA Championship!
62.5%
2) NBA Championship runnerup
0.0%
3) Western Conference Champs
0.0%
4) Western Conference runnerup
18.8%
5) Semifinal winner
0.0%
6) Semifinal loser
6.3%
7) First Round victim
12.5%
TOTAL VOTES: 16
Their injuries are placing too much pressure on Tony Parker to carry the Spurs scoring load without consistent points from his teammates. Parker has been injured this year too.

Ginobli is all heart with no brain. The “Argentine Comet” is at the end of his meteoric career because he does not play intelligently by getting himself injured. He is an accident-prone overly emotional player.

You don’t foul Dirk Nowitzki in the seventh game of a Western Conference Finals, when you have a three point lead with less than 20 seconds on the clock.

Ginobli couldn’t resist temptation. He fouled Dirk on a layup. Spurs lost their second overtime game during the 2006 Western Conference Semifinals to the Dallas Mavericks.

Ginobli’s “Bonehead Play of the Decade” cost the Spurs the 2005/06 NBA Championship against the Miami Heat. Spurs had dominated the Heat that year winning by an average of 10.5 points a game in two easy wins.

3) Spurs suffer Old Man’s Syndrome (OMS).

Spurs seldom win important overtime games because their legs are shot. This also explains why the Spurs often have droughts of not scoring in four to eight minutes spans during the second half against stronger teams like the Hornets, Lakers or Magic after resting at halftime. In the 2003 Semifinals, Spurs lost a 16 points late second half lead at home due to OMS.

The Spurs are a fading memory of a good, not great, team that won four championships over the last decade. The Spurs benefited by defeating weaker college-level Eastern Conference teams, and the megastar ego clashes between O’Neal and Bryant.

The Western Conference consistently had the NBA’s strongest 8 teams, but none were great teams before 2006.

(NBA officiating in Los Angeles was blatantly atrocious stealing at least one outright NBA Championship from Sacramento. Even Ralph Nader called for congress to investigate NBA game officiating in Los Angeles.)

4) The Spurs miss critical game-winning foul shots.

Second half fatigue results in missed foul shots, the easiest points in basketball. Last week, the Spurs lost an 80-77 game to the Celtics after they choked 0 for 6 (Parker 0 of 4) at the charity stripe in the final two minutes. Purely fatigue.

Tim Duncan is a great candidate for the “Hack-a-Shack”. Duncan often chokes critical fourth quarter foul shots and he has very weak hands. A pass into Duncan will immediately draw double teams late in games. A slap at Tim’s hands produces a loose ball turnover or two less-than-70%-accurate foul shots.

) The Spurs miss critical game-winning foul shots.

Second half fatigue results in missed foul shots, the easiest points in basketball. Last week, the Spurs lost an 80-77 game to the Celtics after they choked 0 for 6 (Parker 0 of 4) at the charity stripe in the final two minutes. Purely fatigue.

Tim Duncan is a great candidate for the “Hack-a-Shack”. Duncan often chokes critical fourth quarter foul shots and he has very weak hands. A pass into Duncan will immediately draw double teams late in games. A slap at Tim’s hands produces a loose ball turnover or two less-than-70%-accurate foul shots.

5) Popovich is an over-rated one-dimensional defensive coach.

Despite his impressive win/loss record, Spurs win only .500 against winning teams. Pop’s coaching strength knows when to rest his players, but he no longer has that luxury since his starters are often injured or exhausted.

Pop’s weaknesses are a failure to counter opposing offensive plans with effective player match ups (or altering his defensive game plan) and personality/player conflicts.

His shoddy treatment of Malik Rose, the Spurs last true power forward, was emotionally based poor decision-making that cost the Spurs key playoff games, and very likely an NBA Championship in 2004!

In 2004 the Spurs won the first two home games of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Lakers. Tony Parker scorched the Lakers averaging 25 points a game. Coach Jackson readjusted his defensive plan and Parker would not score 20 points again.

Pop could have readjusted Parker’s offence with picks, screen and rolls after Jackson jammed the lane shutting down Parker’s dribble penetration. Or Pop could have added Malik Rose to the lineup to counter Karl Malone's lane defensive presence.

Pop did nothing as Rose idly sat on a seat rudely ignored by his coach. After winning 17 games in a row, the Spurs were shocked losing four games in a row!

Popovich was clueless and could not counter Coach Jackson's new defensive scheme shutting Parker down. Pop showed arrogance and ignorance by not playing Rose, known for his instant energy.

Malik Rose, as center, led the Spurs single-handed with 30 points against Shaq in his prime, and Bryant Lakers tandem in a 117-120 OT loss. Parker and Duncan on the bench the entire game!

Despite his heroics, Pop did not let Rose play in the Lakers Conference semifinals! Why, after Rose had played so brilliantly against the Lakers that year? Only Pop knows.

When one Spurs starter is injured, an inconsistent bench means overall team performance plunges. The Spurs have lost their ability to compete at the NBA’s highest level except for brief periods: just one or two games per series.

Spurs barely have won seven of their last 14 games, including a one point win tonight over the lowly Golden State Warriors, a team that has not beat them at home in over a decade.

When the San Antonio Spurs lost last Sunday to the Houston Rockets, they had a losing record over their previous 13 games, with 13 games remaining.

Now with 12 games remaining, and seven on the road, the Spurs will likely end the season with 55 to 57 wins, yet with two possible losses to New Orleans going into the playoffs.

If the Spurs do not meet New Orleans in the playoffs, they might make the Conference Finals, but that seems very unlikely unless Ginobli plays smart (for the first time in his life) and Drew Gooden gets much more serious playing time. These two players hold the keys to the success for Spurs 2009 playoff efforts.

Offensive
Tracy about 11 hours ago

You gotta be kidding me.

ReplyWas this comment...
Funny (0) Insightful (0) Spot On (2)

Offensive
Jeff Carr about 10 hours ago

Wow! What a terrible waste of 3 pages. Are you relatives with Malik Rose? Why all the anger against a team with 4 rings in 10 years. Last time I checked OMS (OLD Man Syndrome) worked ok. Oh to be an old man with a championship. Hey remember last year when the "old men" beat the "young" Hornets????? Only to lose to the Lakers with an injured Manu and a botched call against Brent Barry.

ReplyWas this comment...
Funny (0) Insightful (0) Spot On (2)

Offensive
LMAO@KentH about 10 hours ago

u sir are very ignorant.

ReplyWas this comment...
Funny (0) Insightful (0) Spot On (0)

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 7 hours ago

see below

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 9 hours ago

Thank you for sharing your informative opinions.

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
SStreak about 7 hours ago

"Ginobli couldn’t resist temptation. He fouled Dirk on a layup and the Spurs lost their second overtime game during the Western Conference Finals to the Dallas Mavericks."

"Ginobli’s “Bonehead Play of the Decade” cost the Spurs the 2005/06 NBA Championship against the Miami Heat."

Yes Ginobili made a huge mistake but if you can't get your facts accurate, what makes your column readable?

Manu's "Bonehead Play" happened in the 2006 Western Conference Semifinals not the WCF! Which leads me to believe that you haven't done any research to back up your facts.

Sorry Kent but you wasted your time on this worthless article.

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 6 hours ago

I was there and heard POP tell him "DON'T FOUL!!!!!!!!"

Failure to know the truth doesn't change it!

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 6 hours ago

Thank you. I stand corrected.

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 7 hours ago

Look guys- I hope I am wrong about everything printed in this artical. The Spurs are classy guys and I want them to win it all and prove me wrong, but I am trying to present unbiased analysis as possible. It was not my intention to offend anybody with this article.

Nothing would make me happier than to see a bunch of comments saying- 'HAA HAA HAA WE KNEW YOU WERE WRONG!!!!"

It's worth it to me--- reading all comments regarding my stupidity--- if the Spurs can catch lighning in a bottle one more time and win the 2009 NBA Championship!

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Nadeem about 4 hours ago

Man, I love it when you blast the Spurs with idiotic arguments and at the end (in the comments) wish the Spurs defy ur logic and succeed. U did the same thing in your other article abt the Spurs. At the very least, cant u just not accept that u r a Spurs hater?

ReplyWas this comment...

Offensive
Kent Calhoun about 2 hours ago

I love my 4 kids too, but sometimes I have to give them a spank. I back up my opinons with facts. Parker was exhausted carrying the Spurs on his back last week playing the Celtics and missed 4 foul shots in a row. I didn't make that up. Why do you think this happened?

I realize Ginobli is a loose canon listening to no one, but I still admire his passion for the game. Come on - tell me you would not rather have a root canal than watch Manu drive 4 rows deep for a ball when the Spurs have a 10 point lead in the 4th playing a losing team..

ReplyWas this comment...
Leave a Comment

Name

Email We will never share it

Notify me of follow up comments
What do you want to say?

Enter the text in the image.

Post Comment

About the Author
Kent Calhoun (contributor)

4 articles written
23 comments posted
1 fans
Kent's recent articles
How Do the San Antonio Spurs Spell "Miracle" in 2009?
NFL's Most Important Game in History / Eulogy to the First Superstar Quarterback
Dallas Cowboys' Lack of Leadership Creates Failure
We'd like to send you great stories about your favorite topics

NBA
NBA Southwest
San Antonio Spurs
Metro Area Sports for San Antonio

Sign Me Up!

We will never share your email address with anyone, for any reason

Want to write for Bleacher Report
We are a community of fans who write about sports. And we're growing.

Learn More and Sign Up »

B/R LINKS
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
Advertise
Community Guidelines
POPULAR TAGS
NFL
NBA
New York Yankees
Chicago Cubs
Dallas Cowboys
USEFUL LINKS
Play-by-Play
Learn More
Archives
Metro Areas
Sitemap
Writer Directory
Store
Become a fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter (@bleacherreport)
SITEMAP
Front Page
About Bleacher Report
Bleacher Report Blog
Careers
Press Room
Subscribe
FAQ
Official Partner of Fox Sports
Bleacher Report. The Open Source Sports Network
Copyright © 2009 Bleacher Report, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

onarollbaby
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
:wakeup indeed

Obstructed_View
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
He is an accident-prone overly emotional player.
Perhaps the worst analysis ever.

Spursfan092120
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Old Man's Syndrome? LMAO..let's see...Boston won last year's title and were the second oldest team in the league behind us. We won the title the year before that. Yeah..I'll take that old man's syndrome. Seems like the symptoms include the Larry O'Brien trophy.

GSH
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
This is somebody's stupid fucking blog. Check the time and date and see if Sequ was on his computer at that time.

Scores a perfect 10 on my Who-Gives-A-Fuck-O-Meter.

timvp
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone can write on Bleacher Report. It's not even at the level of a forum because at least on a forum you'd have to backup your opinions. It's even a step below blogging because at least a blogger has to take the time to setup a blog.

The only form of writing I'd put below Bleacher Report is HoopsWorld.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
The only form of writing I'd put below Bleacher Report is blogmaverick.com.

Fixed.

mabrignani
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Anyone can write on Bleacher Report. It's not even at the level of a forum because at least on a forum you'd have to backup your opinions. It's even a step below blogging because at least a blogger has to take the time to setup a blog.

haha yeah hoopsworld is a joke

SouthTexasRancher
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
spork_killer & bumpie thank you for providing them a nice supply of printed garbage to wipe their oversize mouths. errrrrrr, I mean asses with.

Spork KIller
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Very Good article and very truthful, I don't expect spurm fans to agree with this brilliant analysis, after all, most spurm fans here are blind and stupid!

samikeyp
03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
:sleep

senorglory
03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Spurs seldom win important overtime games because their legs are shot.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=556

JWest596
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
This guy is worried having expended so much time and thought comvincing himself against the 'no chance' Spurs.
Manu's back!, Tim is resting and the Spurs are coming...get used to it as your Hell is arriving.

Ditty
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-six-pack.jpg

timmo
03-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Dude is a Spur hater through-and-through...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/138118-how-do-the-spurs-spell-miracle-in-2009

Capt Bringdown
03-26-2009, 02:11 AM
1) The Spurs play “soft, half-court basketball.”

Discounting the provocative "soft" comment, I am very frustrated that the Spurs seemed to have completely abandoned the notion of a full court game.
We have to be near the bottom of the league in fastbreak points. If it wasn't for Tony, we'd never see the ball pushed up the court.

Horse
03-26-2009, 06:12 AM
What a fucking moron. And for the last time Manu did not foul dirk!

Bukefal
03-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Very Good article and very truthful, I don't expect spurm fans to agree with this brilliant analysis, after all, most spurm fans here are blind and stupid!

Why don't you seek another forum?

sgueou
03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
:sleep

Agloco
03-26-2009, 08:48 AM

+1

This isn't even worth reading.

I Love Me Some Me
03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
I stopped reading at "Argentine Comet."

mountainballer
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM

so, can we transfer KBP to there?
yeah I know, that's brutal and very likely it's also violating the Geneva Conventions, but hey, I do think this site need some extensive analysis about Spanoulis being better than Kobe.

tmtcsc
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM

:rollin That was good.

Texas_Ranger
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
funny stuff