PDA

View Full Version : Shaq may not end his career with more titles than Duncan, but.....

lefty
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
He's had more coaches :hat

9 coaches to be exact; franchise player? more like franchise destroyer

Fucking cancer.....

Brian Hill

Dell Harris
Kurt Rambis
Phil Jackson

Stan Van Gundy
Pat Riley
(in less than 2 seasons:p:)

Mike D'Antoni
Terry Porter
Alvin Gentry
(3 coaches in less than 2 seasons:lmao)

Mavs<Spurs
03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
True, but Shaq and Tim both have 4 titles. However, Shaq was not a major reason why the Heat one in the way that Tim was when Tony was Finals MVP.

And Shaq's team isn't likely to get into the playoffs this year and next year won't be easier for Shaq to continue to contribute and play like this (He's been really incredible this year- amazing at his age !)

However, Tim's injury has left Tim playing mediocre or worse basketball the last month. We'll have to see whether or not the last game he played against the Warriors was the kind of play that he will be able to sustain throughout the rest of the years and the playoffs. That is a minimal level that the Spurs need Tim Duncan to play in order to win another championship. So far, the odds look against type of play on the consistent basis that the Spurs will need in order to win another championship this year.

So, next year will Tim be able to return to his normal form? This injury is supposed to mostly heal (I think I read that it doesn't ever completely go away) by next season. However, knee problems can prove permanent. If he is mostly healthy, then possibly the Spurs have another chance at a championship if Manu can also stay healthy.

Bottom line: it is possible for Tim to win more championships than Shaq, but it is not the most probable outcome. Nevertheless, Tim's contribution in the Spurs 4th championship was clearly much bigger than Shaq's in the heat championship.

To also be fair, Kobe has been played as the primary culprit of the blowup with the Lakers. And it occurred after 3 straight championships.

In addition, even when you look at it on a per game basis, Shaq's points, rebounds and Blocks place him statistically higher than Tim Duncan.

However, for me, Tim is and was the better player. Tim didn't try to dominate through scoring. And the Spurs system wasn't very conducive toward scoring. And despite the block numbers, Tim was obviously the much, much better defender. Shaq's pick and roll defense/hedge is notoriously bad. Shaq has often struggled with foul trouble. Shaq played with Kobe Bryant.

Both had great feet, terrific hands, and were great passers. Both had wonderful footwork. They were very different types of players.

:flag:

Creation88
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Duncan > Shaq

samikeyp
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Fuq Shaq

Thomas82
03-26-2009, 12:10 AM
duncan > shaq

+1

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Shaq > Duncan

I can't wait to see if Duncan is putting up 18 and 9 at age 37.

houston spurs fan
03-26-2009, 12:17 AM
apples to oranges...

Hakeem>Shaq

Mavs<Spurs
03-26-2009, 12:29 AM
apples to oranges...

Hakeem>Shaq

Hakeem put up a quadruple double. I think David did also.

In 94 and 95, Hakeem Olajuwon was as good as any center has ever been.
He was unbelievable.

I went to high school in Houston and I remember how amazing Hakeem was !

So fast. All those steals. And Blocks.

He was unguardable.

His footwork had to be seen to be believed.

And he was better in 94 and 95 than Shaq has ever been.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Shaq > Duncan

I can't wait to see if Duncan is putting up 18 and 9 at age 37.

I bet Duncan's putting up better than 14 and 8 when he's 35. :lmao

Moreover, I bet I never see Duncan quit on his team.

Rogue
03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
maybe shaq will get more rings than duncan has after he quits the suns and join our boys in blue, but tim duncan is inarguably a greater player than shaq in terms of their entire careers. Tim Duncan has more positive impact on his team than shaq has ever done. Manu and Tony Longoria were just unknown players before they were drafted by spurs, bowen is even an undrafted player, Roger Mason has never played that good in D.C....

through the history of NBA, most of the rookies drafted from late first round or the second round are generally fated to be bench-warmers or even hobos who have no room in nba and have to earn a life in inferior leagues. Duncan and Pop have been giving those young guys sincere teachings and helpful guidence to make them stars like Manu, Bowen and Tony Longoria.

But what good has shaq done to his fellow guys? after playing with shaq for 8 yrs, Kobe Bryant still was a bitch and he still is today.

Horse
03-26-2009, 06:15 AM
True, but Shaq and Tim both have 4 titles. However, Shaq was not a major reason why the Heat one in the way that Tim was when Tony was Finals MVP.

And Shaq's team isn't likely to get into the playoffs this year and next year won't be easier for Shaq to continue to contribute and play like this (He's been really incredible this year- amazing at his age !)

However, Tim's injury has left Tim playing mediocre or worse basketball the last month. We'll have to see whether or not the last game he played against the Warriors was the kind of play that he will be able to sustain throughout the rest of the years and the playoffs. That is a minimal level that the Spurs need Tim Duncan to play in order to win another championship. So far, the odds look against type of play on the consistent basis that the Spurs will need in order to win another championship this year.

So, next year will Tim be able to return to his normal form? This injury is supposed to mostly heal (I think I read that it doesn't ever completely go away) by next season. However, knee problems can prove permanent. If he is mostly healthy, then possibly the Spurs have another chance at a championship if Manu can also stay healthy.

Bottom line: it is possible for Tim to win more championships than Shaq, but it is not the most probable outcome. Nevertheless, Tim's contribution in the Spurs 4th championship was clearly much bigger than Shaq's in the heat championship.

To also be fair, Kobe has been played as the primary culprit of the blowup with the Lakers. And it occurred after 3 straight championships.

In addition, even when you look at it on a per game basis, Shaq's points, rebounds and Blocks place him statistically higher than Tim Duncan.

However, for me, Tim is and was the better player. Tim didn't try to dominate through scoring. And the Spurs system wasn't very conducive toward scoring. And despite the block numbers, Tim was obviously the much, much better defender. Shaq's pick and roll defense/hedge is notoriously bad. Shaq has often struggled with foul trouble. Shaq played with Kobe Bryant.

Both had great feet, terrific hands, and were great passers. Both had wonderful footwork. They were very different types of players.

Let's not forget shaq has played a lot longer, cause shaq is no one near the defender Duncan is and Tim will finish higher in blocks, possible rebounds also.

Muser
03-26-2009, 06:20 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Awesome post.

Toni61
03-26-2009, 06:41 AM
maybe shaq will get more rings than duncan has after he quits the suns and join our boys in blue, but tim duncan is inarguably a greater player than shaq in terms of their entire careers. Tim Duncan has more positive impact on his team than shaq has ever done. Manu and Tony Longoria were just unknown players before they were drafted by spurs, bowen is even an undrafted player, Roger Mason has never played that good in D.C....

through the history of NBA, most of the rookies drafted from late first round or the second round are generally fated to be bench-warmers or even hobos who have no room in nba and have to earn a life in inferior leagues. Duncan and Pop have been giving those young guys sincere teachings and helpful guidence to make them stars like Manu, Bowen and Tony Longoria.

But what good has shaq done to his fellow guys? after playing with shaq for 8 yrs, Kobe Bryant still was a bitch and he still is today.

Thats right :toast

Duncan has the better caracter ,better B-Ball Skills & better B-Ball IQ

21_Blessings
03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Shaq's PEAK > Duncan

But then Shaq got lazy and fat

Overall career wise, Duncan > Shaq

galvatron3000
03-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Shaq's game is about power, always has been. Sure he's lost some quickness and many act as though his siz made him slow, he was quick for his size. I had an arguement with a friend back in 2004 about Shaq having another 5 years left in him where he would be effective because of his game's style. I think I was right. Duncan on the other hand I'm not sure about, he never was quick or atleast the quickiest, though he was deceptively quicker than most thought)and his game is based more on positioning and footwork. His rebounding is declining and his legs are becoming more of a problem and I don;t see that leveling off at 35. Duncan will need someone to help him. Yeah, he can still get position but I'm not sure his footwork will be as effective, which will affect his positioning. I expect his rebounding to decline more but his defense could actually increase believe it or not.

Duncan is a true great but I'd like to see him retire before his skills diminish to laughability. He's smart and that has helped tremendously over the last few years along with a great group of guys, coaching and Manu & Parker.

Phenomanul
03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Duncan is and always was the more complete player... and a better teammate.

When has Shaq ever shot jumpers with any degree of consistency?

Shaq was better....... at steam-rolling his way to the basket - and at saying stupid things.